HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

So why don't top FA's come to Canada?

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2012, 07:17 PM
crazyforhockey

vCash: 500
I am hearing Weber wasnt really intrested in Cdn teams due to the scrunity they receive..

dont shoot the messenger..just what Im hearing.

even a place like Phi and Det ,even with a big media the tone is lighter/less intense than cdn markets...

Old
08-14-2012, 07:24 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
So only Jiri Hudler eh?
So wait did you just call Jiri Hudler a top free agent and forget the

Because if not...

Old
08-14-2012, 07:28 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Why would someone want to expose themselves to the gong show that is the Canadian media?

Old
08-14-2012, 07:49 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Why would someone want to expose themselves to the gong show that is the Canadian media?
Exactly, I'd say that's the main part. Not to mention if you play outside of Alberta you're going to be paying insane taxes so they'd make less money to play in Canada (unless it's Alberta) compared to most other teams in the league.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
So wait did you just call Jiri Hudler a top free agent and forget the

Because if not...
I forgot the

Old
08-17-2012, 10:14 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Haven't we seen this topic before?

Two reasons, IMHO:

1. Canadian teams have sucked for the most part for the past 5 years or so. Calgary is a cluster-you-know-what. Edmonton has been rebuilding for like 7 years. Montreal and Toronto are no cup contenders. Ottawa has been mediocre since Heatley left.

The one exception is Vancouver - and they're pretty much the one Canadian team that has lured top FAs.

2. Many Canadian markets aren't the most attractive to young, high-income individuals. I don't think it's insulting to say that living in a place like Ottawa, Edmonton or Winnepeg is not really as attractive or desireable as, say, NYC, Philly, Boston, Chicago. (My city, Nashville, is in the same boat).

And the more cosmopolitan Canadian cities like Toronto/Montreal are absolute pressure cookers.

I don't think it's that hard to figure out.
Not sure if you have seen this before, I did bump this so maybe its the same thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesbikesbikes View Post
I don't think taxes plays into it as much as people think. Sure they take a lot in Canadian cities, but the flip side of the coin is endorsements. In a hockey crazed environment advertisers will pay an player a lot of cash for a brief appearance. Not all players do it, but the ones who do earn a nice side income.

I'm willing to bet Crosby makes more off endorsements than he does in hockey salary.
But you can get endorsements in NYC and LA too.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
what the **** is this? the habs regularly sign coveted free agents - Cammalleri, gionta, Cole, Kovalev when he was UFA, lesser guys like moen, prust, armstrong, bouillon - they outbid many teams for Diaz...etc...
Top tier. Kovalev is not and neither is Mike C.

Old
08-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Roman Abramovich

As others have mentioned, I believe it's due to a multitude of factors, including:

-There are very few "top tier" players hitting UFA these days.
-Taxes
-Attention, or relative lack there of it (You could play in LA or NYC, enjoy the majority of what either city has to offer, and not even have to deal with the TMZ stuff that Kobe and Carmelo have to deal with).
-Many of the recently competitive teams are based in the US (See: NYR, LAK, NJD, etc. which ties into the above point).
-Climates that some may find more attractive during the winter.
-Playing in a certain city does not restrict one from returning to his hometown during the offseason.
-US based teams make up ~77% of the league.

Old
08-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Cephalusc

Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal are great cities, but ridiculous taxes and media scrutiny scare players away.

Being in Ontario, Ottawa also has a very high tax rate and also lacks the big city life.

Edmonton has very low tax rates. However, Edmonton is basically Mordor and nobody wants to live there.

Calgary has probably had the best luck with free agents in recent years... probably a combination of low taxes and it being a nice/decent city to live in (obvious it is no Vancouver/Montreal though). Still, like all Canadian markets, media scrutiny is intense.

Old
08-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Firstly, the quality of teams isn't very good. Nor are the situations. The only Canadian team that has been heavily mixed up in the trade market in recent times has been Vancouver. Calgary has lower taxes and pretty nice city, but the situation, the constant rebuilding on the fly, has not made them a great option. Edmonton is in the middle of nowhere and the team has sucked for the better part of the decade--not a great FA hotspot. Montreal and Toronto have kinda been fringe playoff teams recently but they haven't managed their money well and are more interested in trades. Ottawa hasn't been very good at all until last season, but hasn't had a ton of money either.

Secondly, the media/fan pressure for all the teams is crazy ridiculous and many players don't want that kind of attention. It is pretty annoying, if you think about it.

Thirdly, taxes. If a FA signs to a team in the USA for 3 million a year, he'll make than if he had signed the exact same deal if he had signed in Canada.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:20 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Well, Buffalo is only 15 minutes from Canada and the Sabres have the same problem. Although I think it may slowly start to change over the next few years.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Barnission

Canadian teams comprise less than a quarter of the league, so there's one factor.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Alot of anti-Americans in this thread.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Backlund

They don't want to deal with the pressure that comes with playing in a Canadian market.

And American teams make up 23/30 of the teams in the league, meaning there is a 76% chance that an FA will sign in America.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:51 AM
The Perfect Paradox

IMO, the three main reasons are:

1. Outside of the Canucks, none of the teams are Stanley Cup contenders.

2. Taxes.

3. Media pressure. Don't get me wrong, some players thrive under pressure; but playing in a Canadian market results in being exposed to tons of media pressure. In the United States, hockey is relatively unpopular.

Old
08-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
IMO, the three main reasons are:

1. Outside of the Canucks, none of the teams are Stanley Cup contenders.

2. Taxes.

3. Media pressure. Don't get me wrong, some players thrive under pressure; but playing in a Canadian market results in being exposed to tons of media pressure. In the United States, hockey is relatively unpopular.
Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh say hello.

Old
08-18-2012, 03:41 AM
Villager
SMASHBROS2014

There's a chance of getting killed by a mooose

Old
08-18-2012, 04:13 AM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh say hello.
I've had this argument before. Hockey is still #4 with a bullet in the states, and in Canada its like if the NFL and the MLB had a baby in Chicago and named it Michael Walter Peyton Jordan. In Boston, the Bruins matter significantly less than the Sox, Pats and Celts (or if you prefer, the Phillies, Eagles and 76ers/Cubs, Bears and Bulls/Tigers, Lions and Pistons in their respective cities). Even if the media pressure is intense for hockey players in those markets compared to, say the pressure in Sunrise, Florida, its not THE ONLY THING ANYONE ON THE TV OR RADIO IS TALKING ABOUT. It's just not the same.

Edit: Maybe things are closer in Pittsburgh, since they don't have a basketball team to contend with and the Pirates have been crap since... the lockout? I don't know, it feels like forever.

In Vancouver, we have 2 radio stations that talk about little else for 10 months a year.

Last edited by Al Swearengen: 08-18-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old
08-18-2012, 05:40 AM
PRMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksrool View Post
I haven't seen any big signings by the kings at all. Penner is all they really got lol.
Willie Mitchell. Rob Scuderi. Simon Gagne.

Old
08-18-2012, 05:45 AM
PRMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
I've had this argument before. Hockey is still #4 with a bullet in the states, and in Canada its like if the NFL and the MLB had a baby in Chicago and named it Michael Walter Peyton Jordan. In Boston, the Bruins matter significantly less than the Sox, Pats and Celts (or if you prefer, the Phillies, Eagles and 76ers/Cubs, Bears and Bulls/Tigers, Lions and Pistons in their respective cities). Even if the media pressure is intense for hockey players in those markets compared to, say the pressure in Sunrise, Florida, its not THE ONLY THING ANYONE ON THE TV OR RADIO IS TALKING ABOUT. It's just not the same.

Edit: Maybe things are closer in Pittsburgh, since they don't have a basketball team to contend with and the Pirates have been crap since... the lockout? I don't know, it feels like forever.

In Vancouver, we have 2 radio stations that talk about little else for 10 months a year.
Actually, the Bruins got better viewership than the Celtics even when both were very good.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

I think the answer is pretty obvious isn't it?

If your boss called you into their office on monday morning and said "We've had two very exciting positions in your field open up and we'd like to transfer you to one of them. We'll set you up with a house and car comparable to what you have now, at a 25% raise. Basically all other things being equal, you just have to pick where you want to go. Your choices are, Atlanta, GA and Winnipeg, MB."

What would you choose?

Old
08-18-2012, 12:28 PM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Other than Mr. Schultz, a Canadian team rarely if ever signs a big Free Agent? Why is this?
The leafs

Old
08-18-2012, 12:48 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNH View Post
There's a chance of getting killed by a mooose
Don't forget Polar Bears.

Old
08-18-2012, 01:12 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Other than Mr. Schultz, a Canadian team rarely if ever signs a big Free Agent? Why is this?
Who are the examples? Bozak was the Schultz of a couple of years ago. Gustavsson was supposed to be the best goalie outside of the NHL when he signed. Camalleri signed in Montreal. Bouwmeister in Calgary. Weren't Garrison, Hamhuis, and Ballard all signed FA by Vancouver? Believe it or not, there were a bunch of clubs in the bidding for Beauchemin and Komisarek. The Sens lost players mostly because they didn't want to pay the salaries that other clubs were offering, not because players went elsewhere for the same money.

I don't think there were any Canadian teams in the market for Parise, Suter, or Semin. Brad Richards was offered a better deal by both the Rangers and the Kings than the Leafs would give him. There were no Canadian teams hard after Kovalchuk. I am not sure if Hossa was courted by any Canadian teams but he left the Penguins after 12 games to join the Wings who he only gave a year to before jumping to the Hawks so why don't players want to be on the Penguins or the Wings?

I think people are seeing a trend that isn't really there. Like since THEIR Canadian team hasn't signed a particular FA they must be avoiding Canada, rather than simply little interest or being outbid.

Old
08-18-2012, 01:15 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Yes. God forbid you're held accountable in markets that care vs getting millions and dogging it in US markets.

Closed Thread