HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft (draft day chat link in Post 887)

Old
06-25-2013, 08:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
If Domi is off the board at 12 what do you think about 22 and 29. (Calgarys two picks they got for Iginla and Bouwmeester)?

C Gauthier
LW Klimchuk
Ryan Hartman would be my target. But no, I'd rather not. I'd prefer just to grab Shinkaruk in the event of Domi being off the board.

06-25-2013, 08:03 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Don't think Horvat, Wennberg, or Lazar have that upside. Might end up being good 2Cs, but right now I think they're 2/3C tweeners - the last thing we need out of a first round pick this high. Gotta go with the best scoring forward available and that's either Shinkaruk or Domi - both have first line upside.
I don't see Wennberg as a center, long-term, either.

Horvat and Lazar will stay pivots. However, I don't see them as franchise types. I think the absolute best you could possibly hope for is 60-65pts out of each. With strong two-way play, that makes them first liners. I think 50-55pts is more realistic of an upside. Again, with ALL of the intangibles, that's a hell of a player. I like Lazar more because of his feet. Some prefer Bo because of his eyeballs. I can understand that. They're pretty even, though.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:09 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I don't see Wennberg as a center, long-term, either.

Horvat and Lazar will stay pivots. However, I don't see them as franchise types. I think the absolute best you could possibly hope for is 60-65pts out of each. With strong two-way play, that makes them first liners. I think 50-55pts is more realistic of an upside. Again, with ALL of the intangibles, that's a hell of a player. I like Lazar more because of his feet. Some prefer Bo because of his eyeballs. I can understand that. They're pretty even, though.
Admittedly I haven't seen all that much of Wennberg. Diligent, smooth-skating Swede (that almost sounds like a cliche now haha) who's capable at both ends, but nothing special stood out to me.

Pretty much agree. Do think Lazar is a better skater and a better goal scorer, but Horvat is probably a better playmaker. Both have intangibles and very good two-way play already. Horvat's very good in the dot, and I can understand the comparisons to Bergeron (although I don't agree with them, lol).

IPreferPi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:21 PM
XX
SOS

12 is relatively simple. Draft rats, what say you of our 2nd and the Florida 3rd?

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
If Domi is off the board at 12 what do you think about 22 and 29. (Calgarys two picks they got for Iginla and Bouwmeester)?

C Gauthier
LW Klimchuk
Maybe Pulock and De la Rose? I like De la Rose, even if his offensive upside is questionable. If Pulock slides down that far, he's a really good pickup.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 08:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
12 is relatively simple. Draft rats, what say you of our 2nd and the Florida 3rd?
I want JC Lipon with FLA's 3rd. He's the guy I'm always praying falls when I do mocks.

As for our 2nd, it's tough. Probably to late for any first round fallers. Just out of range for those. Even in the event of Collberg/Aberg like tumbles for the likes of Hagg, Burakovsky, and De la Rose, they'd likely be snatched up just prior. I don't expect Petan or Compher to be there either.

I like Justin Bailey a lot in that area, and he might be there (45 on McKenzie's list). I was shocked Lehkonen fell so low on the list, too(43rd). I'm much, much, much more shocked that Oliver Bjorkstrand is 52nd and Marko Dano is 53rd. I'd take either at 42. Duclair at 67th is more of a huge red flag than it is a surprise. Obvious attitude issues. His teammate Nick Sorensen doesn't get enough love and probably could be ranked higher than 54th. I'd be okay with him at 42. Remi Elie and Ryan Fitzgerald are probably reaches at that point, but I like them. Maybe more like third round candidates if Lipon is gone.

Domi, Dano, Lipon, and Burke would make for a nice first for picks if we stay put at each spot. I'd be thrilled.

Last edited by rt: 06-25-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old
06-25-2013, 08:36 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
For the 2nd, if we take Domi at 12, De La Rose, Bailey, Carrier in order of preference (If we went Horvat, would go after Petan first). Pulock would certainly be a great pickup if he slid that far.

For the Florida 3rd, Marc-Oliver Roy.

Old
06-26-2013, 01:05 AM
Dan

Maloney quotes

Don willing to move down if the price is right
Quote:
“We’re picking at No. 12. … We think we could move down to as low as No. 22 or No. 23 and still get a very good player. We’ll see how things shake out.”
edit - he also said he does not believe he can get into the top 5.

Size needed, does this sound like Domi?
Quote:
“There’s certain things we like in players,” Maloney said. “We like intelligence, compete, speed, size. If you look at our (realigned) division next year … it’s not getting any slower and it’s not getting any smaller.”
On trades
Quote:
“Last year we came up a little short so we’d like to be better,” Maloney said. “We’d like to add some pieces and that starts now. You don’t wake up on June 30 and think, ‘OK, let’s make some deals.’ It’s been busy, and needless to say it’ll be very busy leading up to the draft and beyond.”
Not very revealing, but Don usually speaks the truth.

Last edited by Dan: 06-26-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:18 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

His interview sure seems like Domi won't be the pick. But if he's mentioning size, then that also rules out Shinkaruk. From his thinking, it sure sounds like we'll try to trade down and pick up multiple firsts.

If he's thinking size, does anyone think that he's thinking Mantha at 12?

Sindiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:45 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
If he's thinking size, does anyone think that he's thinking Mantha at 12?
How is Mantha's compete level? Intelligence?

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:53 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I think you guys are reading too much into those quotes. If you actually watch the interview, he's not all that emphatic. It's basically, "we like players who have lot's of good qualities" and "we are open to making trades that make us better". He basically didn't answer. Vest asks lame questions and is really poor at engaging his subjects in meaningful dialogue. With all the smart, qualified, eager dudes out there who would love to conduct sports interviews for a living, and we get this guy. I know it's squeezing blood from a stone but he could at least build some rapport and loosen guys up a little. Maybe squeeze that extra worthwhile nugget of info out of them. His beerability is at absolute zero. It's not the way.

Old
06-26-2013, 01:55 AM
OOEEL

Quote:
I want JC Lipon with FLA's 3rd. He's the guy I'm always praying falls when I do mocks.
With Florida's 3rd? I feel like he could be there for our third. I know when I did a mock I grabbed Marc Olivier-Roy with Florida's pick.

My dream for the first four picks would go as follows:

Domi
Bjorkstrand
Roy
Lipon

Maybe Petan instead of Bjorkstrand but I just don't see him being there when we pick. And possibly Shinkaruk instead of Max, but I've pretty much locked in on Max with the 12th pick

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:59 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
With Florida's 3rd? I feel like he could be there for our third. I know when I did a mock I grabbed Marc Olivier-Roy with Florida's pick.

My dream for the first four picks would go as follows:

Domi
Bjorkstrand
Roy
Lipon

Maybe Petan instead of Bjorkstrand but I just don't see him being there when we pick. And possibly Shinkaruk instead of Max, but I've pretty much locked in on Max with the 12th pick
Carrier instead of Bjorkstrand

Old
06-26-2013, 04:07 AM
XX
SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Not very revealing, but Don usually speaks the truth.
I'm surprised he was so specific about trading back. Who could slide or be there that they like so much? Lazar? Pulock? Curious to see what Knickle will go for given the options on the table. Sounds like a very specific shout out to Calgary for 22 and 28 for 12. The size comment also makes it sound like they've got a hard on for Gauthier or Mantha.

6 picks in the top 75 would be nice. I think we see a draft day trade involving one of our D, so there might be an extra pick or two in there as well.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:35 AM
OOEEL

To go ahead and finish it let's talk about the last three rounds.

I'll admit this region feels like taking shots in the dark for me because my knowledge of these level prospects just isn't as high but through following our prospects here're some names that've stuck out to me:

Sergei Tolchinsky
Either of the R-N Huskies(Dea & Andrighetto)
Cole Cassels
Remi Elie(Probably won't be there now after Bobby Mac put him in the top 75)
Cole Ully
Quentin Shore
Curtis Valk
Zach Hall
Myles Bell

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Usually I am the one to always want to move up in the draft as much as possible and this draft is no exception. We need the help on offense and we need it now. The 1st round pick should be no less than an NHL ready player on offense and anything short of that is a failure. Yes, we need to develop players that we draft for the future and this draft has some very deep prospects but even then its a gamble when it comes to developing players.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:13 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I wouldn't touch Myles Bell with a hundred foot pole.

I like Shore, though. And Andrighetto. Chris Clapperton is another kid I like a lot. Brent Pederson from Kitchener I wouldn't mind taking, either.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:31 AM
PhoPhan

Absolute best case scenario (ruling out the very unlikely):

#12: Max Domi or Hunter Shinkaruk
#42: JT Compher or Michael McCarron
#62: Zach Nastasiuk or Lucas Wallmark
#73: Jan Kostalek or Dillon Heatherington

If it unfolds like that, the Coyotes would come out of the draft with a flashy wing for the first line, a physical wing for the second line, and a gritty wing for the third line, all of them scorers, and then another steady top four defenseman.

Obviously, though, as the picks go on, it's harder to project who will be available. Compher could disappear by 18 or someone I'd have taken in the 20s could still be there at 73. I'm planning to post my final, final rankings in the next few days.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:49 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I'm surprised he was so specific about trading back. Who could slide or be there that they like so much? Lazar? Pulock? Curious to see what Knickle will go for given the options on the table. Sounds like a very specific shout out to Calgary for 22 and 28 for 12. The size comment also makes it sound like they've got a hard on for Gauthier or Mantha.

6 picks in the top 75 would be nice. I think we see a draft day trade involving one of our D, so there might be an extra pick or two in there as well.
He wasn't all that specific. He basically said that it's a deep draft. That's all.

I really didn't take much from that interview at all. It looks blunt on paper but out of the Don's mouth it was pretty vague.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:52 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Boy I wish the CHL had archived games available for purchase. I've never had the chance to see hardly any of those guys. Short of last year's Memorial Cup, the two weekly Sportsnet games during the lock out, the Subway Super Series, the World Juniors, and the most recent Memorial Cup, I've had no eyes on any of these players.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
To go ahead and finish it let's talk about the last three rounds.

I'll admit this region feels like taking shots in the dark for me because my knowledge of these level prospects just isn't as high but through following our prospects here're some names that've stuck out to me:

Sergei Tolchinsky
Either of the R-N Huskies(Dea & Andrighetto)
Cole Cassels
Remi Elie(Probably won't be there now after Bobby Mac put him in the top 75)
Cole Ully
Quentin Shore
Curtis Valk
Zach Hall
Myles Bell
Yes on Andrighetto, Yes on Shore, Yes on Hall, although I bet that Andrighetto goes in the 4th round where we don't have a pick.

Old
06-26-2013, 10:30 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
He wasn't all that specific. He basically said that it's a deep draft. That's all.

I really didn't take much from that interview at all. It looks blunt on paper but out of the Don's mouth it was pretty vague.
Yeah, just watched that interview - Maloney was amiable but fairly non-committal. Although he discusses moving down, he also said that they definitely talked moving up into the draft, but feels like they need to move up to the Top 5 to make it worthwhile (and doesn't feel it can happen at the moment). Reading between the lines, obviously he has his sights set on Barkov, Lindholm, and Monahan, but recognizes all can be easily gone at the next possible trade-up spot at 7.

Overall gist I got was just "we'll see what happens."

Old
06-26-2013, 01:05 PM
PhoPhan

Sarah McLellan fingers Shinkaruk and Monahan as best case scenarios for the Coyotes, then mentions Mantha and Gauthier as more likely picks, then noting Wennberg, Domi and Horvat as potential selections as well.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/sa...r-the-coyotes/

I can never tell whether McLennan is speculating based on actual inside information or engaging in the same sort of navel-gazing all of us are. Mantha and Gauthier are a little off the board based on today's rankings, but they were in the conversation for the top half of the first round for a while and maybe they will be again.

On a related note, McKenzie's rankings (http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9420) have Domi, Zadorov, Wennberg, Horvat, Shinkaruk and Mantha ranked 10-15. Barring a big drop from someone like Monahan, I'd bet we end up with one of those guys (and almost definitely not Zadorov). Domi or Shinkaruk would excite me, Horvat or Wennberg would get a pleasant shrug, and Mantha and Gauthier would get a soft eye roll.

Last edited by PhoPhan: 06-26-2013 at 01:14 PM.
PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:22 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Domi or Shinkaruk would excite me, Horvat or Wennberg would get a pleasant shrug, and Mantha and Gauthier would get a soft eye roll.
Agreed. I actually like Lazar more than the lot of them (the second and third tier you listed). I've got Hartman a lot higher than most, too.

Old
06-26-2013, 01:30 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
On a related note, McKenzie's rankings (http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9420) have Domi, Zadorov, Wennberg, Horvat, Shinkaruk and Mantha ranked 10-15. Barring a big drop from someone like Monahan, I'd bet we end up with one of those guys (and almost definitely not Zadorov). Domi or Shinkaruk would excite me, Horvat or Wennberg would get a pleasant shrug, and Mantha and Gauthier would get a soft eye roll.
If Maloney somehow managed to trade up and land one of Barkov, Lindholm, or Monahan ->

Stay at 12 and pick Shinkaruk or Domi ->

Horvat, Wennberg, or Lazar ->

Anyone else at 12 ->