HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft (draft day chat link in Post 887)

Old
06-26-2013, 04:14 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Generally, though, the lack of effort level concerns me a whole lot more than the birth date. There are a lot of skills that a player can develop after he's drafted—skating, defensive decisions, strength—but I can't think of a player who was a floater in juniors and turned into a high effort player in the pros. Sometimes those guys can still find success (though not likely on a team coached by Dave Tippett) and I'm sure Mantha would look like he was putting in more effort if he were just a little smaller, but it's the first red flag I look for when judging a prospect, especially when it's a player like Mantha who scores but doesn't add much else. We don't want Pavel Brendl.
This is pretty much my concern with Mantha as well. Size/skill/skating ability is all there (in spades), but the compete/intensity level is too much of a concern. Domi and Shinkaruk may not be great defensively now and are definitely smaller in stature, but you can't really question their motor + effort level, which will certainly help either of them get into Tippett's good graces and transition into his system.

i.e. Mantha at 12 is too risky for me. If we move down to 20 or below, I'd definitely consider it.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'd much rather have a player who is too intense and hurts his team at times during his teenage years like Henrik Samuelsson, Max Domi, Ryan Hartman or Marko Dano than a player who is emotionless and let's his effort level drop on a regular basis like Peter Mueller or Wojtek Wolski.

I haven't seen enough of Mantha to know how floaty he can get. Reports aren't glowing.

Rychel is a bizarre mix of both. Plays like an escaped axe murderer off his meds one shift and a recently laid Peter Mueller on three hours sleep and 35mg of synthetic opiates the next shift.

06-26-2013, 04:19 PM
PhoPhan

Rychel reminds me so much of James Neal. Not a great player on his own, but given his positioning and elite shot, he has big scoring potential in the right situation.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 04:32 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Remember Shane Doan during the "Doan Face" game? When he played like King Kong before injuring himself trying not to decapitate Jimmy Howard? How dominant he was physically? A force.

I feel like Rychel can be that guy one or two shifts a game, or one or two games a month. But more frequently, he's Peter Mueller. That's the vibe I get from OHL fans. In the Super Series they tried to cast him in the role of Raffi Torres. It failed. He looked out of place on an energy line. Tom Wilson looked amazing in the same role. That I found disappointing. He's risky but the upside is really tempting.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:10 PM
OOEEL

So I know everyone's talking about Bobby Mac's rankings but did anyone watch the reveal special? It's on TSN's site in it's entirety(along with a Craig Button mock draft show) if you wanted to watch it.

Here's what McKenzie had to say about Mantha since we're on the subject.

Quote:
Can really shoot the puck, but he's also a big rangy guy who can get around the ice pretty well. When he first saw him thought there were a lot of similarities to the way James Neal plays, minus the physical aspect of the game. Can play the point on the power play like Neal, has a shot that can score from far out.

There are some concerns, he's not very competitive, he's not very physical. He likes to shoot the puck and be an offensive player. Central Scouting gave him just barely over 6/10 in competitiveness and physical play. And obviously the age "issue".
Sorry but that's too glaring of a red flag for me when it comes to a top 12 pick. Offensive dynamo or not I don't want someone who just coasts around and cherry picks his spots when he wants to score. If Domi and Shinkaruk are both gone, after I have a meltdown, I'd try to trade down and grab Lazar and pick up some extra picks, hopefully one would be a 4th to grab Sven.

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:17 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch View Post
I wouldn't say I've seen him a ton since Val D'Or wasn't in our division, but the games I have seen he impressed me. The biggest things I noticed were his skills with the puck. He's strong, hard to knock off the puck and he does well in the dirty areas. I was surprised how well his puck handling was for a bigger guy. He's smart offensively and puts himself into scoring areas and does well in front of the net. He obviously loves to shoot, I think he had the most shots in the league this year. A lot of these traits I'd love to see with our team in a couple years.

Defensively he certainly wasn't lazy or anything and held his own. It's hard to judge his defense though as some of the times I saw him live were against the Mooseheads and they just tore everyone up no matter what, haha.

Oh, and you're very correct by saying he doesn't get watched too much playing for the team in Val D'Or. Hopefully our scouts have done their homework.
Would "bagged 50 goals with the compete level of an aardvark" be too harsh?

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:27 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Remember Shane Doan during the "Doan Face" game? When he played like King Kong before injuring himself trying not to decapitate Jimmy Howard? How dominant he was physically? A force.

I feel like Rychel can be that guy one or two shifts a game, or one or two games a month. But more frequently, he's Peter Mueller. That's the vibe I get from OHL fans. In the Super Series they tried to cast him in the role of Raffi Torres. It failed. He looked out of place on an energy line. Tom Wilson looked amazing in the same role. That I found disappointing. He's risky but the upside is really tempting.
Mueller's issue wasn't just that he wasn't a physical force, though. After his injury, he actively avoided contact. A lot of guys have a reputation for "playing small," but Mueller really turned into a delicate little flower, spinning away from checks and refusing to go the net. That's also why his production dipped so dramatically. He became a perimeter player who wouldn't even engage on the outer edge of the scoring area.

I agree there are issues with the consistency of Rychel's competitiveness (though not to the same extent as Mantha), but I don't think he's anywhere close to Mueller.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
That reminder just depresses me, he was in the process of dismantling the Redwings almost single handedly. Why did Doan have to get injured?! Why?!?!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:22 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
That reminder just depresses me, he was in the process of dismantling the Redwings almost single handedly. Why did Doan have to get injured?! Why?!?!
Because he plays the game the right way. Instead of bulldozing Howard and saving his shoulder, he decided to avoid a collision. Someone else (I'm looking at you, Brown) would have just run the goalie over and dealt with the consequences.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:44 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

So far, the offers for our 12th in the case of a trade down:

Nicklas Jensen + 24th
Sebastian Collberg + 25th + 36th
17th + Mark Stone for 12th + 42nd

Old
06-26-2013, 10:15 PM
lanky

I'd consider the Montreal proposal, but the other two aren't close (I don't see much of an NHL future for Jensen or Stone).

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:03 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Montreal offer is solid. Assuming, of course, that Shinkaruk and Domi are off the board.

Grabbing maybe Hartman, Collberg, and Dano instead of Lazar or Horvat is appealing.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:36 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

Pretty much a perfect scenario for the Coyotes in this mock just released today at THW:

2013 NHL Mock Draft: Stanley Cup Final Edition

___
*2013 NHL Draft Prospect Index
**2013 NHL Draft Guide: The Next Ones
***2013 NHL Draft Rankings: The Next Ones Final Top 210

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:44 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

McKenzie on the Oilers today:

Quote:
Well, I think in a perfect world, if Craig MacTavish is able to do the work he expects to do at this draft, the Edmonton Oilers are not picking with the seventh pick. In fact, if Craig MacTavish were able to give his scouts the day off for this draft, I think he'd consider it a good day's work done because that would mean that he would have traded a lot of these draft picks that he's got for more tangible assets that can help the Edmonton Oilers right in the here and now, as opposed to 2 or 3 years down the road. I really think the emphasis for Craig MacTavish and the Oilers is get better now. If they take the picks, that's great, but I think they'd rather have some warm live bodies that have played in the National Hockey League to help them out now.
http://t.co/rL54ueeWpO

The window is definitely there for Maloney to move up. Will need some help from Carolina and Calgary though.

Old
06-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Kaibur

Rick Knickle is based out of the WHL, correct?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-by-defensemen

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:44 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
Rick Knickle is based out of the WHL, correct?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-by-defensemen
Lives in Vancouver.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:23 PM
lanky

Assuming that Domi is available along with one of Nichuskin, Ristolainen and Nurse, would you pick any of the second group over Domi?

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:34 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Assuming that Domi is available along with one of Nichuskin, Ristolainen and Nurse, would you pick any of the second group over Domi?
Nichushkin definitely.

Preference is forward over D given our organizational depth but saying no to Nurse would be very hard.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:35 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Risto would give me a little pause as he'd be a great partner for OEL, but the choice would still be comfortably Domi. Nich is too much of a one-trick pony and probably would give Tippett heartburn, and Nurse is a really long term project that would be a total waste of our 1st rounder given our existing pipeline on D and our needs at forward.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:56 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I dislike Nichushkin as a prospect tremendously and probably wouldn't gamble on him until the very late first round. Even then, maybe not.

I like Ristolainen a whole lot. Not as much as Domi.

Nurse I've never seen and know little about. The Soo Hounds are like the Coyotes of the OHL. Nobody knows crap about them.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Orange Thunder

OK, so the Sens board did a 3 round mock, and I was the Coyotes. How did I do? Sorry if it's bad, never did a mock before and I don't know who you guys are targeting in the draft.

2013 picks:
12th overall: Kerby Rychel, LW
42nd overall: Artturi Lehkonen, RW
62nd overall: Viktor Crus-Rydberg, C
73rd overall: Linus Arnesson, D

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 10:34 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Looks like if Carolina doesn't take Monahan at 5, Calgary certainly will at 6. Or Nisch.

Quote:
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 9m
Feaster says they would consider it a factor if the player they wanted at six wasn’t going to come over right away.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:39 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeningSingleLady View Post
OK, so the Sens board did a 3 round mock, and I was the Coyotes. How did I do? Sorry if it's bad, never did a mock before and I don't know who you guys are targeting in the draft.

2013 picks:
12th overall: Kerby Rychel, LW
42nd overall: Artturi Lehkonen, RW
62nd overall: Viktor Crus-Rydberg, C
73rd overall: Linus Arnesson, D
Yeah, Rychel when Domi and Shinkaruk are both still on the board... Could be worse, though, you could've had us picking Zadorov like one of the NHL.com guys

Lehkonen is good in the 2nd, though. Actually don't know anything about Crus-Rydberg or Arnesson, TBH.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:39 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

About ten spots early for Rychel, I'd say.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:41 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Yeah, Rychel when Domi and Shinkaruk are both still on the board... Could be worse, though, you could've had us picking Zadorov like one of the NHL.com guys

Lehkonen is good in the 2nd, though. Actually don't know anything about Crus-Rydberg or Arnesson, TBH.
Domi and Shinkaruk were on the board? That's just brutal, frankly.

Then again, not all people have the "high-motor" bias I do.