HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Larry Robinson hired as SJ Sharks Associate Coach

Old
07-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Habanero514

vCash: 500
Larry Robinson hired as SJ Sharks Associate Coach

Larry Robinson as Associate coach for the the SJ Sharks
@Dave_Stubbs

Hall of Famer Larry Robinson has just been hired as associate coach of the San Jose Sharks. Two years, one-year option #Habs

and Habs got JJ Daigneault! :'(

Habanero514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:23 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
Larry Robinson as Associate coach for the the SJ Sharks
@Dave_Stubbs

Hall of Famer Larry Robinson has just been hired as associate coach of the San Jose Sharks. Two years, one-year option #Habs

and Habs got JJ Daigneault! :'(
what the balls... not too happy to hear this initially

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Habanero514

Before i get flamed, i think this news deserved a thread of it's own!

Old
07-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Hugo Sham

sounds like Therrien wanted JJ all along as Bergevin went through proper NJ channels to request interview, meet etc...

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Being objective here, good for san jose. Would've loved him here but maybe he'll help the sharks around. The guy is a winner as a player and as a coach, so hopefully he helps them reach the next level.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Drive425

Meh,

Habs needed fresh blood. No biggie from where I stand. If we wanted him we would've got him.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Habanero514

So for the Habs hiring of JJ Daigneault, it came down to the last name of the person and that he was " Un ti gars de Chez Nous" and not their credentials. It's sad if you ask me...

What happened to hiring the best guy available?

Old
07-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

At least he ended up on a good team, I wish him and San Jose all the best.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:38 PM
RC51

something wrong here. I think Lou waited until this week to tell Larry that he is gone. Or after the Habs picked another guy.
Lou did not want Larry to tell the Habs all the devil secrets.

NOT FAIR TO LARRY at all.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:42 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

I think Therrien just picked someone he was more comfortable with. Are we seriously going to ***** about this all summer long?

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:43 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I would not be surprised of this, at least in part, is because Therrien would be scared for his job long term with Robinson around.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Meh,

Habs needed fresh blood. No biggie from where I stand. If we wanted him we would've got him.
I don't see how this is helpful.

It's like me saying, if we wanted to, we could assemble a team with crosby, ryan, doughty, pacioretty, subban, price, kane, etc... but you know, we didn't want to, so it's okay.

I'd imagine Larry was best guy for the job, and not only that, he would bring a lot of respect to this organization and help in moving us forward. Molson spoke about being elite again, and who knows it better than a guy who was part of it? A guy who was elite, a guy who is a winner as a player and a coach. I think we missed out here, but at same time, I won't lose sleep over it, **** happens and we'll give JJ a chance.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:46 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I would not be surprised of this, at least in part, is because Therrien would be scared for his job long term with Robinson around.
Robinson didn't want to be a head coach so I highly doubt this. I would agree with the premise that a head coach would be intimidated to question a guy of Robinson's stature though. I remember media saying Gainey, although relatively nice, was very intimidating as he was such a high profile member of the habs history.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:46 PM
KFlint

Quote:
I remember reading it was 100% sure he wouldn't want to be head coach anymore.

KFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Habanero514

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
I think Therrien just picked someone he was more comfortable with. Are we seriously going to ***** about this all summer long?
You said it, Therrien went with the guy he was most comfortable with and not the most qualified... Tells a lot...

I don't mind a buddy system but when it's logical to hire the best guy available, you do it...

Old
07-08-2012, 04:49 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
You said it, Therrien went with the guy he was most comfortable with and not the most qualified... Tells a lot...

I don't mind a buddy system but when it's logical to hire the best guy available, you do it...
Not necessarily. You need chemistry. While I agree with you, I also think there's way more factors than just "best assistant coach available".

Old
07-08-2012, 04:51 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't see how this is helpful.

It's like me saying, if we wanted to, we could assemble a team with crosby, ryan, doughty, pacioretty, subban, price, kane, etc... but you know, we didn't want to, so it's okay.

I'd imagine Larry was best guy for the job, and not only that, he would bring a lot of respect to this organization and help in moving us forward. Molson spoke about being elite again, and who knows it better than a guy who was part of it? A guy who was elite, a guy who is a winner as a player and a coach. I think we missed out here, but at same time, I won't lose sleep over it, **** happens and we'll give JJ a chance.
Good for Larry.

Good for San Jose.

Good for the Habs, we'll be fine with JJ.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Habs

obviously there is something/someone in Montreal, Larry still hates, probably the Molson family.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
That thought probably occurred to quite a few posters. It was my first reaction. Robinson actually won a Cup, Therrien didn't and was replaced by Bylsma, who did at his first crack.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:57 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Tony Marinaro you still have the audacity to post here? You have ZERO credibility, quit trying to make an issue out of an assistant coach hiring.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Unworthy thread is unworthy.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Forsead

Quite sad that the organization could not make room to an HHOF, a Habs legends, a real winner has a player, a coach and an assistant coach.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Tony Marinaro you still have the audacity to post here? You have ZERO credibility, quit trying to make an issue out of an assistant coach hiring.
What ?

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Tells what? This stupidity that Therrien is afraid for his job so he doesn't want to hire Robinson? A guy that repeatedly said he has no interest in a head coaching job? Tells what? That Therrien is stupid enough ton ot recognize the good coaches? What about the 28 other teams? How about firing their d-coach and hire Robinson instead? Don't they all know that their coach is clearly less knowledgeable than Robinson is?

As a coach, you do go with guys that has the same philosophy than yours and who you are more confortable with indeed. Yet, seems that we know that Bergevin talked 2 times to Robinson and nothing came from this....but who blew the deal? Do we know for sure that Robinson didn't tell the Habs that he was not interested? Oh no...'cause there's an interview that Robinson seems to say that he would have liked it. Like there's an interview that says that Jagr wanted to come to Montreal. Yet, mentions that he would have preferedd to play in CANADA.....but strangely, nobody else in Canada was interested in this great superstar 'cause he would have went on any team in Canada for sure.....Just like EVERY Quebecer who is asked if he would have come here ALL say Yes, while we all know that it's not true, they don't want all to come here.

So yes, I would have wished Robinson would be here. He is a very good candidate. But Daigneault from all accounts seems to be a very good candidate as well...just not as sexy.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
It is an issue and not a trivial one. I assume that Daigneault is qualified but if you polled the members of this board, you might find that a majority would have preferred Robinson. If Therrien is fired again at some point, which would you want?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote