HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pierre Gauthier named Director of Personnel of the Chicago Black Hawks

Old
07-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Sure he was..
A crazy freak that spits poison and drinks blood.
Inform yourself.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:01 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

The fact that 80% of the complaints are his poor people skill, and managing skill in regards to managing a hockey team, shows that he isn't a bad hockey mind as ppl made him out to be, specially the media who were just itching to get back at him, ex we didn't hear about all these complaints from them in his first year as GM, when we finished 6th, with 96 points.

The guy should never been GM again, because he doesn't have the personality for it, and the Hawks did a good job of hiring him for a job that really doesn't have anything to do with dealing with ppl. He'll basically be scouting their NHL team and AHL team, and helping managment who to call up/send down etc.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
We are going in circles . This organization has hit rock bottom on the big team , the farm team, and the prospect pool. Don't believe me? Watch as the organization flounders to get control of itself over the next few years . This is the worst it's ever been.
Rocket ship to the moon is more like it. This year will likely be a struggle but after that look out.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:15 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Gauthier was not good in Montreal. There is no doubt about that. The 'fanboys' are making two assertions, however:

1) Gauthier is still a professional, and far more of a professional hockey manager than anyone on this forum. As such, claiming he possesses a useless hockey mind as a casual fan on a hockey forum is, well, peculiar;

2) Not everything Gauthier did was awful.

In other words, the people you call 'fanboys' have balanced, thoughtful approaches rather than a reactionary dismissal of a professional who is obviously respected to some degree in hockey circles. Those reactionary posters are left bewildered by Gauthier's hiring in Chicago, and think the Blackhawks either "didn't know any better" (than posters on a Montreal forum?) or "are screwed" going forward. Of course, if they were to sit back and think a little deeper about this, they'd likely come to the same conclusions that the balanced, thoughtful responses in this thread have stated.
Mike, I avoided using the word fanboy. I simply said fan.

Lets take your approach regarding professionals being above reproach and how ordinary people really are clueless.

Bernard (Bernie) Madoff was the founder of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC. He was a professional. Graduated from Hofstra University. A very smart professional man. Knew a lot about investing.

Did he have a "useful" business mind in concocting his ideal investment scheme? Did the "casual non-investor" who served on the jury have the ability to determine right from wrong regarding the "professional" actions of Madoff?

Mike, you are jumping through hoops in defense of Gauthier. And yes, a lot of us do understand what a good (and bad) GM is and does..........even though we are not GMs. That is an elitist (and condescending) approach to take in an effort to support Pierre. It is also insulting to assume that we are not "smart enough" to disagree with the management skills of an intelligent "professional" like Pierre Gauthier.

After all, he was the GM to dismantle this franchise.........and we werent.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:28 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Actually, what I presented is indeed fact. Gauthier was hired by another organisation. This is evidence that Gauthier is not the socially inept, friendless manager with zero upside that the masses on this forum and in the media tried to claim him to be.

That was my claim, and it is not my narrative; it is demonstrated in reality.

That you continue to misrepresent my words is peculiar. You've insisted for a second time now that I'm refuting the opinion that Gauthier was a bad GM; I'm not. I stated that he was bad in my original post in this thread.

Rather, my point is simple, and it seems peculiar as to why you're going to lengths to disprove it (all the while seemingly ignoring that point!):

There was a widely held opinion that Gauthier was socially inept and friendless, and that this is why he could only trade with a few clubs in the NHL. In fact, one of the big bonuses to hiring Bervegin was that he was well connected in the league.

Now that Gauthier's been hired, numerous posters in this thread claim that he was hired not for his merits, but because he's part of the old boys club!

So, you see, there is no Mike8 narrative here. As we've derailed, I've elaborated on my opinion (that Gauthier was bad in Montreal, but has some capacity to manage), but the thrust of my original post was that the narrative has changed: from claiming that Gauthier had no friends, to then explaining his hiring in Chicago as being the result of having friends.

Essentially, this seems to be the story that people buy into in order to continue believing Gauthier's entirely incompetent.
Mike, there are many many instances of inept CEO's of corporations who have been fired for less than effective performance of their duties.......only to be hired by another company as a CEO.

It is a network, some call it ole boy's club, that exists in the corporate world just like it does in the world of sports. The known failures are sometimes more comforting to the owners (Board of Directors) than the unknown failures of a fresh face.

How else can you explain the firing and hiring again and again of a coach like Jacques Martin who has never succeeded in winning it all....but is still given multiple chances after being fired?

Bottom line is that Gauthier sucked at what he was paid to do in Montreal and if Chicago is willing to take a chance on his history of failure, good on them. I will laugh at this decision though. And I will continue to laugh at the Gauthier defenders and their revisionist history in an attempt to present him as someone better than who he was.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Are you kidding me? How many players could this team not sign because of numbnuts? Tinordi? I think this is all Timmins, I wouldn't give an ounce of credit to PG, and who wouldn't have kept Price over Halak?

Good riddance, the guy had zero communication skills, and treated a lot of players rudely and without any professionalism. Cammy was traded during a ****ing game!

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:25 PM
number72

I'm curious with the habs/hawks rumours around a centre if PG was hired to give advice on prospects and player qualities (in locker room etc). This will be harder for Montreal to get a slam dunk win here.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:52 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I'm curious with the habs/hawks rumours around a centre if PG was hired to give advice on prospects and player qualities (in locker room etc). This will be harder for Montreal to get a slam dunk win here.
Unless that center is Gomez

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:56 PM
OneSharpMarble

Good for him, he did a good job here and a team that just recently won the cup brought him aboard because they recognize his schrewd talents. I guess some in the nhl don't give a **** about if someone is a vegetarian or not.

There is some seriously bitter little *****es in this thread though. lol

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:04 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Good for him, he did a good job here and a team that just recently won the cup brought him aboard because they recognize his schrewd talents. I guess some in the nhl don't give a **** about if someone is a vegetarian or not.

Why be bitter? Habs fired him and we wanted him fired so...I'm pretty happy.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Why be bitter? Habs fired him and we wanted him fired so...I'm pretty happy.
I think he's referring to the people calling him a freak and saying he absolutely ruined this organization.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:32 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I think he's referring to the people calling him a freak and saying he absolutely ruined this organization.
Nah, he's pretty much always defending the guy.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
But why bother or get caught up with the extremes...

Nothing worse than someone using one extreme/exaggerated view to justify the opposite.

Gauthier did a poor job in Montreal, and got fired for it.
That he got re-hired doesn't speak to anything other than that he got another job.
Unless someone has a direct line to the hawks inner circle & gets the inside scoop on why he was hired, it's both useless and disingenuous to hold his hiring up as a sign that "he wasn't that bad".

Heck, even bush got re-elected....

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Nah, he's pretty much always defending the guy. I'll never understand it.
OSM is always defending him because he's responding to people that is blaming Gauthier for Global Warming.
So both sides are going into extremes.

Gauthier did some good things, he also had his flaws. Happy we let him go, but he still leaves behind a good group to work with.

Old
07-11-2012, 07:38 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Nah, he's pretty much always defending the guy.
Pretty much,

Mike8, OneSharpMarble, Carey Price all staunch Gauthier supporters. Wouldn't be surprised if they were related to him.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
But why bother or get caught up with the extremes...

Nothing worse than someone using one extreme/exaggerated view to justify the opposite.

Gauthier did a poor job in Montreal, and got fired for it.
That he got re-hired doesn't speak to anything other than that he got another job.
Unless someone has a direct line to the hawks inner circle & gets the inside scoop on why he was hired, it's both useless and disingenuous to hold his hiring up as a sign that "he wasn't that bad".

Heck, even bush got re-elected....
I agree that there's no point in going into extremes.

I disagree that he did an overall poor job. Average might be more like it.
Keeping Price, signing Cole, re-signing Markov, bringing Emelin over, signing Diaz, finding replacements for Markov in Wiz, re-signing Gorges, I mean, he did some good things. He did a poor job in terms of PR, though, that I'll agree with 100%.

As for him getting re-hired, yes, it doesn't prove much. But what some are saying is that he was such a clueless clown and an absolute poison that there's just no way in hell he gets re-hired. So him getting re-hired just proves *those people* were wrong

Old
07-11-2012, 07:56 PM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Pretty much,

Mike8, OneSharpMarble, Carey Price all staunch Gauthier supporters. Wouldn't be surprised if they were related to him.
you can count scotty bowman as a supporter too.but what does he know?

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:58 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
you can count scotty bowman as a supporter too.
Do you want Pierre McGuire as our GM? Just curious.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:01 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
OSM is always defending him because he's responding to people that is blaming Gauthier for Global Warming.
So both sides are going into extremes.

Gauthier did some good things, he also had his flaws. Happy we let him go, but he still leaves behind a good group to work with.
He wasn't terrible, but he wasn't a leader. I dislike him for not being a leader for the organization. I never believed in his vision. I can basically do status quo for 2 years and many will say "look at that, LL kept all our good young players, let timmins do the draft and made no mistakes" okay and? What have I accomplished? I'm not saying thats what he did, but i'm judging the GM by the direction we're going in. I never felt we had any under him. So, yes, he's not perfect but he's not the devil either, but he's just not GM material.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:06 PM
haburger

Quote:
Do you want Pierre McGuire as our GM? Just curious.
huh?bottom line is ,if gauthier was THAT bad he never would got hired again.stan and ultimately scotty bowman seem to think he is worth something.right??now who the hell in they're right mind is gonna even think about questioning the bowman's ??seriously.invisible nobodys hiding on the internet???ha ha ha ha ha.........this thread is pure gold!

Old
07-11-2012, 08:09 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
huh?bottom line is ,if gauthier was THAT bad he never would got hired again.stan and ultimately scotty bowman seem to think he is worth something.right??now who the hell in they're right mind is gonna even think about questioning the bowman's ??seriously.invisible nobodys hiding on the internet???ha ha ha ha ha.........this thread is pure gold!
#1 Scotty Bowman suggested McGuire should be our GM. Do you agree with him now?

#2 I think Gauthier isn't fit to be a GM. Director of player personnel<<<<<GM. They feel he's qualified to take a job much much lower than his previous one? Well, how about that.

Old
07-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post

He got us Galchenyuk, credit needs to be given where it's due. Interesting they decided to use his shrewd talents in a non scouting manner.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:13 PM
haburger

Quote:
#1 Scotty Bowman suggested McGuire should be our GM. Do you agree with him now?

#2 I think Gauthier isn't fit to be a GM. Director of player personnel<<<<<GM. They feel he's qualified to take a job much much lower than his previous one? Well, how about that.
scotty bowman is a legend.arguably the greatest hockey mind ever.i'm sure you are in the the same class as him.people who post they re thoughts on internet forums are very well respected in the nhl. aren't they?

Old
07-11-2012, 08:13 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
you can count scotty bowman as a supporter too.but what does he know?
How much input did Scotty have btw? You'd have a point if he was actually hired as a GM...rather than being DEMOTED!

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Fair enough, and I concur.

By the way, in response to an earlier post from you: do you really believe Montreal's in a worse position now than it was, say, under Houle?
In terms of total damage inflicted at the helm Houle has no equal, however Gauthier was in a key executive position for 8 years during which the team went to it's lowest performance level ever. In the end the difference between the 2 men's capabilities

Some focus all attention on Gainey, some aren't convinced this is a 28th place team. No matter, the owner of our team showed him the door and I think it was the team's only chance to rebuild.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote