HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

2012 Offseason Roster Thread - Part II

Old
07-30-2012, 09:09 PM
EvanOberg

vCash: 500
Maybe if Ohlund retires and comes off the books it could happen.

EvanOberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Glide5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Tim Wallace to Carolina.

1yr/700k/105k (2-way)
Im glad to see Wallace landed somewhere. He has decent talent, and will be a good depth player in time.

Glide5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Glide5

Does anyone have any idea where Wilson fits into all of this? I still know nothing about the guy, and I am confused about what he could do. I can only imagine he is a back-up in case we have injuries like last year.

Is he just going to be waivered and sent to the AHL at first, or has he shown talent to justify keeping him up here over some of the kids?

Glide5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 01:56 AM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide5 View Post
Does anyone have any idea where Wilson fits into all of this? I still know nothing about the guy, and I am confused about what he could do. I can only imagine he is a back-up in case we have injuries like last year.

Is he just going to be waivered and sent to the AHL at first, or has he shown talent to justify keeping him up here over some of the kids?
I think he fits in as an AHLer who will fight for a spot in camp. The way I see Boucher putting this team together is he will keep 8 defensemen like he usually does which leaves 13 spots for forwards. Imo Purcell, Stamkos, St. Louis, Lecavalier, Malone, Pouliot, Tyrell, Hall, Thompson, Connolly, Pyatt, and Crombeen will all make it leaving a major fight for that last spot. I'd say Wilson is one of those players with Brown, Killorn, Conacher, Wyman and the other AHLers who are on the cusp and will battle it out for that final roster spot.

If he makes the team, good for him and good for us, but if he doesn't, it's not a big deal. He could be a good call up for injuries. If he is picked off waivers Syracuse can still ice a decent lineup with the 13 other forwards they have.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 07-31-2012 at 02:02 AM.
TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:51 AM
HedMonster 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
I don't think Edler has been pushed to a no.4 spot by any means. The 2012 playoffs aside, he's still considered the Canucks' best all-around defensemen. How did you come up with him not being great defensively? He was great for them in the 2011/12 regular season and has always been consistent in past years as well. He often lines up against the other teams' top lines too. His offensive game also broke out last year. As Alaskan just said above, he's better than any of our defensemen...

If anything, he'd command more than Carle money. He's not as one dimensional, has more of a physical aspect to his game and has a booming shot. They're probably equal as passers, with Carle only having the edge on mobility/speed.

I haven't seen him play that much, but when i do he impresses me. Elder, Kronwall and D.Keith are my favorite Ds and I consider them one of the best in the League right now.
About that defense thing, I read and article in a vancouver website saying that he has his lapses, and that he is low on the pecking order after the Garrison signing being their №4, or №3 D at best. So being a Vancouver site i trusted it, but if you are saying that he is good Defensively I'll take your word for it.
Firstly at thought his contract will be something like 8years 6mil. cap hit, but when I read the article it changed my ming a little - something like 5.6mil. a year 6-7 years, but now we are back at the 8years 6mil a year offer
Vancouver won't give him more than Bieksa which i think they consider their №1 D(Edler is gonna want more then them), also Edler may want a long contract 7-8years or more - I don't see Vancouver giving anyone a contract longer than 6 years, they don't want a luongo situation again.

Last edited by HedMonster 77: 07-31-2012 at 03:02 AM.
HedMonster 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:13 AM
Vasilevski
I ****** Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Edler is better than any of our defensemen.
way better IMO, so yes, of course I'd go for him

Vasilevski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:10 AM
HedMonster 77

Ohlund has big influence on Edler, some Vancouver players even call Alex "little Ohli" so if he hits FA we have a good chance to get him as our №1

Old
07-31-2012, 09:27 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Edler is better than any of our defensemen.
He's damn good and the Lightning (and Hedman) would surely benefit from Edler's presence but, even if he became a FA come 7/1/13, you have to think league-wide interest would approach what Suter generated this summer. I don't see the Lightning entering--and, even if they did, winning--a bidding war for Edler's services.

I'd imagine Ken Holland and Paul Holmgren, in particular, wetting themselves at another opportunity to buy a top-pairing D.

Last edited by nhljohnson: 07-31-2012 at 09:36 AM.
nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:16 AM
HedMonster 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
He's damn good and the Lightning (and Hedman) would surely benefit from Edler's presence but, even if he became a FA come 7/1/13, you have to think league-wide interest would approach what Suter generated this summer. I don't see the Lightning entering--and, even if they did, winning--a bidding war for Edler's services.

I'd imagine Ken Holland and Paul Holmgren, in particular, wetting themselves at another opportunity to buy a top-pairing D.
If you look Philadelphia's roster you'll see that they have lots of guys to resign in the next 2 years including Giroux, Hartnell, Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Timonen and Read and all of those except Timonen will get a raise.
They don't have the cap space to do it if they don't trade a core player even if Pronger retires they won't have enough for a top D. The flyers didn't trade Couturier/Schenn for Weber so most likely non of those core players will be leaving.

The Red wings also have lots of guys to resign including Brendan Smith, Howard, Filppula and few other depth guys. They will want to sign/trade for a good forward as well so they have some cap space but not that much more than the lightning. TB has to resign only some 4th liners and Benoit Pouliot, Steve Y will have more free time to talk and negotiate with FA, also Ohlund may retire or we just put him on LTIR so we'll have space.

If Elder gets to FA, the main question will be does he want to go to TB and is SY ready to give him ~8 years at ~ 6mil

Old
07-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Vasilevski
I ****** Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post

absolutely, if he hits free agency I bet he would get a big contract

Vasilevski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 03:27 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

No way we get a shot at Edler, and even if we do there are other teams who covet him more and would outbid us. I certainly wouldn't complain if we somehow got him though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide5 View Post

Last I hear, he'll be given a shot at a roster spot on the Bolts. We still have that opening at #3c. He might have a shot at that, or if Pyatt or Thompson earn it there will be a spot on the 4th line (potentially).

Based off our roster at the end of the season and the off-season acquisitions, I'd guess our roster will look something like:

Malone // Stamkos // St.Louis
Purcell // Lecavalier // Brown
Pouliot // Pyatt // Connolly
Hall // Thompson // Crombeen
Wilson

Hedman // Brewer
Carle // Salo
Mikkelson // Lee
MAB, Aulie

Lindback
Garon

A lot could (and probably will) change based on training camp, but based on the roster and line combos at the end of the season and taking into account the new additions, if the Bolts had to play a game today I'd assume that would be the lineup.

A few things:
- I could see the Carle/Salo pairing getting a lot of ice time with Stamkos's line.
- Connolly and Brown are of course not locks for where they are slotted.
- I'd be interested in seeing Marty and Purcell switch spots. Purcell was really lighting it up with Stammer and that could bring a more balanced attack with Marty on the 2nd line.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 05:22 PM
CC321

The various possible lineup combinations look good.

Last edited by CC321: 07-31-2012 at 07:31 PM.
CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 08:41 PM
King Of The North
Iggy2014GoBruins

Thoughts on Hedman's performance this year?

King Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:33 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
Thoughts on Hedman's performance this year?
He's definitely a top pairing defenseman at this point. Overall I'd say he looked good, there were definitely still some growing pains though.

He could show a little more poise with the puck, he seems to get nervous when he's in the dzone with the puck on his stick sometimes. He could be a bit more physical too, but it's really not that big of a deal.

It's hard to gauge offensively, since him and Brewer were the only competent d pairing, they weren't given a whole lot of quality offensive opportunities. Towards the end of the season, we got to see Hedman on the 1st power play unit a bit, which I realllllly liked. He looked good in those chances he got.

I think if he improves how he handles the puck in his own end and starts making good outlet passes, it'll turn into more time in the o zone where he can show off his offensive game.

I'd give him a B, all things considered.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:32 PM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedMonster 77 View Post
I haven't seen him play that much, but when i do he impresses me. Elder, Kronwall and D.Keith are my favorite Ds and I consider them one of the best in the League right now.
About that defense thing, I read and article in a vancouver website saying that he has his lapses, and that he is low on the pecking order after the Garrison signing being their №4, or №3 D at best. So being a Vancouver site i trusted it, but if you are saying that he is good Defensively I'll take your word for it.
Firstly at thought his contract will be something like 8years 6mil. cap hit, but when I read the article it changed my ming a little - something like 5.6mil. a year 6-7 years, but now we are back at the 8years 6mil a year offer
Vancouver won't give him more than Bieksa which i think they consider their №1 D(Edler is gonna want more then them), also Edler may want a long contract 7-8years or more - I don't see Vancouver giving anyone a contract longer than 6 years, they don't want a luongo situation again.
Ok that makes more sense, I wasn't sure if it was your personal assessment that Edler was weak defensively. You're obviously entitled to your own opinion, but one of my best friends is a Nucks fan and we watch both Lightning and Nucks games a often as possible. Edler's very solid defensively, but does suffer from the occasional mental lapse in his own end (magnified in the 2012 playoffs which was a terrible showing for him and I imagine the site you read was recent backlash over that). I wouldn't consider him a top shutdown guy but he's certainly capable of playing against other teams' top lines.

Edler doesn't have aspects of his game that really stand out like the physical presence or shot of Weber, offensive game and mobility of Karlsson/Keith or the shutdown prowess of Chara/Seabrook; he's just a guy who quietly goes about his business and is extremely consistent at both ends of the ice. If he isn't already considered a top 15 defenseman in the league, I think he'll cement his name there next year.

The logic's there that Vancouver won't be able to afford his salary demands but they'll find a way to make it work because he's a top defenseman that they cannot afford to lose. Bieksa's too injury prone and inconsistent offensively to be considered a no.1 imo. With the salary cap rising year over year, I doubt it'll be a huge issue for them to re-sign Edler (even less of an issue if they can trade Luongo).

Last edited by Tampa Bay Trio: 07-31-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Tampa Bay Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:45 AM
snowden
Man is matter

It's only now August. Fuuuuuuuuuu

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:51 AM
stryfe604

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
It's only now August. Fuuuuuuuuuu
Wake me up when the season starts...

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Tampa Bay Trio
Just Jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
Wake me up when the season starts...
Wake me up when September ends?

Tampa Bay Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

I have a feeling the top four on the blueline ends up Brewer-Carle, Hedman-Salo.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:18 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
I have a feeling the top four on the blueline ends up Brewer-Carle, Hedman-Salo.
Makes sense.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:27 AM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

https://twitter.com/BoltProspects
Quote:
After the signing of Korobov, I have the #tblightning at 48 of 50 allowed contracts, including Ohlund (inj), Sergeev (CHL), Janus (RFA).

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:16 PM
The Yzerplan
Not enough goalies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
I hope so

The Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:51 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Man, I like what SFY is doing for the defense.

The starting 7 will be:
Hedman
Carle
Brewer
Salo
Lee
Mikkelson
MAB

But we're gonna have quite a few guys who will be pushing for NHL ice time as well with:
Aulie
Taormina
Korobov
Gudas
Barberio

Last year injuries killed us, but this time around it might not be as much of a problem.

Old
08-04-2012, 02:53 AM
Alivesi

vCash: 133

Makes me excited to see JT on the roster next year...

Alivesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 03:12 AM
LightningStrikes
Forgot About Drej

Can't wait to see what he can do in more than just 5 games without knowing anybody.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote