HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When Doan passes?

Old
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
crashman

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead9099 View Post
babcock has said himself that brunner will play on the top 6. The lines will most likely be
Gus-Datsyuk-Brunner
Filppula-Hank-Lazyass
I don't mean to spread the plague of negativity that has infected this board lately, but I see Brunner as a long shot to play more than a handful of games with the Red Wings. Just another Leino/Brunnstrom, he'll be in GR by mid November. If he makes the team at all.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
I don't mean to spread the plague of negativity that has infected this board lately, but I see Brunner as a long shot to play more than a handful of games with the Red Wings. Just another Leino/Brunnstrom, he'll be in GR by mid November. If he makes the team at all.
Agreed. I still see the Brunner signing as a move that was made primarily to challenge Nyquist.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
IIRC, Babcock said Brunner has the possibility with his skill set to be a top 6 winger. If the Wings stand pat and do nothing. There's a strong possibility he will be on the roster and fulfill that role. I sure as hell hope not. Cause I'm gonna pull my hair out if the Wings don't add a truly legit top 3 proven forward. If he does make the team and play. He'll be good at the shootout

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Redwings1927

nvm.

Redwings1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:36 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

I'm hopeful Brunner can be a valuable player, but I'm not expecting much. I expect him to start the season in GR, and then when there is some combination of Brunner playing well, a Wing playing poorly, or a Wing injured, he'll maybe get a call-up.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:34 AM
jroc86

Given Brunners age and lack of NHL/NA experience I expect Babs to throw him into the fire early and often whether we get a legit top 6'er or not. In preseason I expect to see him alongside Dats/Hasnk/Filp/Franzen to see if theres any sparks for chemistry.

Hes essentially just entering his physical prime and is likely more level headed than your average 19-22 yr old euro taking a stab at the NHL. With the skillset he has in his arsenal and his deep and quick skating stride if hes able to mentally make descisions that split second quicker on the small ice I truly think he will excel playing dangle and dish with the guys we can surround him with.

Theres no time for development or being called up for 10 games just to get 5 minutes on the 4th line. Hell be given enough rope to hang himself in regards to icetime with the big club. If he isn't producing or fitting in by December hell be gone and that will be that.

If this kid ends up being a the real deal and throws up 45+ points this year Babs/Kenny are going to look really f'ing smart. To start the year this is the line combos I think well see.

Nyquist Datsyuk Franzen
Filpula Zett Brunner
Cleary Helm Samulsen
Bertuzzi Adbelkader Tootoo
Miller Andersson Tatar

*Brunner/Bert/Sammy are all interchangeable IMO and will spend time going up and down the depth chart depending on injuries and chemistry.
*also, Id like to see Andersson get a real hard look this camp. Duno what Abbys contract situation is - but if Gator needs to be thrown into a trade package as an add-on I think Andersson is a formidible 4th line centerman with more offensive upside than most.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:41 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc86 View Post
Given Brunners age and lack of NHL/NA experience I expect Babs to throw him into the fire early and often whether we get a legit top 6'er or not. In preseason I expect to see him alongside Dats/Hasnk/Filp/Franzen to see if theres any sparks for chemistry.

Hes essentially just entering his physical prime and is likely more level headed than your average 19-22 yr old euro taking a stab at the NHL. With the skillset he has in his arsenal and his deep and quick skating stride if hes able to mentally make descisions that split second quicker on the small ice I truly think he will excel playing dangle and dish with the guys we can surround him with.

Theres no time for development or being called up for 10 games just to get 5 minutes on the 4th line. Hell be given enough rope to hang himself in regards to icetime with the big club. If he isn't producing or fitting in by December hell be gone and that will be that.

If this kid ends up being a the real deal and throws up 45+ points this year Babs/Kenny are going to look really f'ing smart. To start the year this is the line combos I think well see.

Nyquist Datsyuk Franzen
Filpula Zett Brunner
Cleary Helm Samulsen
Bertuzzi Adbelkader Tootoo
Miller Andersson Tatar

*Brunner/Bert/Sammy are all interchangeable IMO and will spend time going up and down the depth chart depending on injuries and chemistry.
*also, Id like to see Andersson get a real hard look this camp. Duno what Abbys contract situation is - but if Gator needs to be thrown into a trade package as an add-on I think Andersson is a formidible 4th line centerman with more offensive upside than most.
I want Franzen and Z together, they always look good together in Sweden and the rare instances they ever play together in Detroit. If Babcock learned one thing on his World tour even more so than campaigning for Brunner who I hope pans out, it should be this.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:55 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Yeah, no more Franzen with Datsyuk

Fil/Nyquist-Dats-Brunner
Fil/Nyquist-Z-Franzen
Cleary-Helm-Sammy
Tootoo-Gator/Miller/Mursak/Bert and so on.

What I hope if we don't get additions.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Redwings1927

I think what babcock is going to try to do is try to have a guy who is the person who goes in the corner and digs the puck out and gets it to the playmaker to set up the shooter...well thats probably everybody, but this is how i think babcock will set up the lines to start the pre/season:

bertuzzi - dats - brunner <--bert is the go getter/dats, dats is the playmaker, brunner is supposed to be a sniper no?
franzen - zett - fil <--zett is the go getter, fil is the setup-man, franzen is the sniper
nyquist - helm - samuellson <--helm is the go getter (he's showed that a lot), nyquist is the setup man, sammy sniper
cleary - abdelkader - tootoo <--this is the exception line. but if i had to choose, cleary would be sniper, tootoo go getter and abdelkader go getter, and whoever gets it from the corner man, sets cleary up in front of the net or sends it to the defense for cleary to tip.

you could also switch cleary and nyquist and it could work as each line has a net-front guy. i am sure you guys can figure out who the net-front guys are in those lines....

the lines just seem right, honestly. bert, though i feel is no long a 1st or 2nd line player, is probably going to be so we are going to have to deal with it. if we were to roll with this line-up at the start of the year, i am honestly ok with it. when first hearing of the acquisitions we got, i just thought we were throwing it in this season, but it really seems like we are playoff contenders...just not cup contenders for now. maybe a deadline trade for a guy who can score a bit more than what we've got, itll be good.

just need to fix the excess of players...i feel like picks is not going to be good enough unless we see someone in the draft that we could use a lot of our picks could be able to trade up a lot.

Redwings1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I'm hopeful Brunner can be a valuable player, but I'm not expecting much. I expect him to start the season in GR, and then when there is some combination of Brunner playing well, a Wing playing poorly, or a Wing injured, he'll maybe get a call-up.
I could be wrong, but I think Brunnstrom started on the Wings and was just abysmal. I think Holland's willing to let Babs try a guy like Brunner on the big club to start the season.

I still see him as a fixture on Helm's wing as someone who can keep up with him and has better finishing ability. Meaning, not having to earn a top 6, he can still make the club. Plus Helm will know that he's responsible for dropping back to make up for Brunner's lack of D (in the event he has a lack of D).

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:51 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adityase View Post
I could be wrong, but I think Brunnstrom started on the Wings and was just abysmal. I think Holland's willing to let Babs try a guy like Brunner on the big club to start the season.

I still see him as a fixture on Helm's wing as someone who can keep up with him and has better finishing ability. Meaning, not having to earn a top 6, he can still make the club. Plus Helm will know that he's responsible for dropping back to make up for Brunner's lack of D (in the event he has a lack of D).
5 games, 1 assist, -2.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Yeah, no more Franzen with Datsyuk

Fil/Nyquist-Dats-Brunner
Fil/Nyquist-Z-Franzen
Cleary-Helm-Sammy
Tootoo-Gator/Miller/Mursak/Bert and so on.

What I hope if we don't get additions.
I know Flip had a good year last year and looked really good on the wing, but I have to wonder if we won't see Z moved back to Datsyuk's line and Flip centering Franzen. Something like:

Datsyuk-Z-Brunner
Nyquist-Flip-Franzen

The lines are balanced, and pairing (Z-D, Flip-Mule) have worked well in the past.

07-12-2012, 10:14 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I know Flip had a good year last year and looked really good on the wing, but I have to wonder if we won't see Z moved back to Datsyuk's line and Flip centering Franzen. Something like:

Datsyuk-Z-Brunner
Nyquist-Flip-Franzen

The lines are balanced, and pairing (Z-D, Flip-Mule) have worked well in the past.
I thought about that, it may help keep Z and Dats more injury free. Playing at C is much harder than at the wing so I think switching between C and wing, Dats and Z would be more rested along the way and have some more in the tank for playoffs.

But I'm not sure if Flip could carry a line by himself. Maybe he was good last season because he was at wing, maybe it was career year. Or, hopefully, he broke through.

Of course they could/should experiment it but I'm not sure if Flip at 2C is the better solution here. Flip played well at the World's, too. He was a winger there.

That 2nd line would need to be somewhat a sheltered imo, Flip is the only one with good D.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

I think Holland signed Brunner just to placate Babcock. He figures it's a low-risk, high-reward type deal, so why not? Clearly, he's not counting on him though. Nonetheless, I'm excited to see what he can do.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:32 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

Phoenix ain't going anywhere. And if Doan is as loyal as he says he is, he's going to stay there.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Xvash2

Looks like the Wings haven't put an offer in on Doan.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/free_...%20offers%20in

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvash2 View Post

It says 4 or 5 teams have submitted formal offers. Then lists 3: LA, SJ, VAN. There's still 1 or 2 unnamed teams with formal offers on the table.

Not surprising the 3 named teams are all geographically advantageous for Doan.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
It says 4 or 5 teams have submitted formal offers. Then lists 3: LA, SJ, VAN. There's still 1 or 2 unnamed teams with formal offers on the table.

Not surprising the 3 named teams are all geographically advantageous for Doan.
Montreal and Pittsburgh were the other two teams who made formal offers to Doan

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:26 PM
A1Portable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvash2 View Post

This is very disappointing. Doan would be a huge asset to the Wings. I can't understant why the Wings haven't made him an offer.

A1Portable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

A guy from Phoenix radio is saying that a team in the East has offered Doan $30+ million over four years:
Quote:
NHL source just confirmed to me that an Eastern Conference team has offered Coyotes Captain Shane Doan a 4-year deal worth more than 30 mill
Probably Pittsburgh, right?

Those numbers can't be right.

Last edited by Ricelund: 07-13-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old
07-13-2012, 02:23 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

A 7.5M caphit for a player like Doan?

Just shoot me already

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricelund View Post
A guy from Phoenix radio is saying that a team in the East has offered Doan $30+ million over four years:

Probably Pittsburgh, right?
If true, I could also see Philly and NYR being in the mix. Doan would probably not like trading in his ranch lifestyle for a big city lifestyle though.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Henkka

Don't think it's Pittsburgh. Shero ain't that stupid. Could be NY Islanders or some other idiotic franchise.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Don't think it's Pittsburgh. Shero ain't that stupid. Could be NY Islanders or some other idiotic franchise.
Can't see Wang doling out that kind of cash. Sounds like a Philly move to me, replace Jagr with Doan? Who knows though that is some stupid money for a player like Doan... probably not even close to being accurate.

Syckle78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

The more I think about it, I'd bet it's Philadelphia.