HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part III - The Brenden Morrow Saga

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

vCash: 500
I'd really love someone to explain exactly how having a "locker room cancer" on your team has any actual influence on the teams success or lack thereof. I don't know about the rest of you, but if one quiet Russian can completely wreck a teams chemistry causing them all to lose games, then that team wasn't very good in the first place. It's not like he's ****ing peoples wives either.

Old
07-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
I'd really love someone to explain exactly how having a "locker room cancer" on your team has any actual influence on the teams success or lack thereof.

Heh, no doubt. We have a pretty strong core, who knows if having a character like Semin around would negatively effect anything. I honestly think the reward outweighs the risk. I say we shoot him a 6mil+, 3 yearl deal. Doubtful he would take it though.

Anybody know if Semin is buddies with Gonch?

Old
07-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
I honestly am just trying to think of which UFA's are left and after Doan, Semin he was the first name to come to mind. Can you think of anyone else that would be a good fit? I agree, Kostitsyn would be an awful signing, but I'd like to see someone add to the top 6 still.
Kristian Huselius.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:08 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
A-Kost is a top 6er. And while he would make a great 3rd liner, our bottom 6 is enough of a log jam already. Latendresse kinda took that last spot that would have been available in our top 6.
I don't see a logjam in our bottom 6 and I definitely see Kostitsyn as a better 3rd liner than 2nd liner as long as the 3rd line has some skill. Here's how I see a Kostitsyn-containing lineup:

Silfverberg-Spezza-Michalek
Latendresse-Turris-Alfredsson
Kostitsyn-Regin-Zibanejad
Greening-Smith-Neil
JOB, Butler

That gives us 3 LW's who can play line 1-4, and one who can play 1/2. Gives us a 4th line that would be elite even as a 3rd line. Allows us to roll 3 scoring lines at any and all times. I don't see a logjam there at all, especially given the health concerns for Spezza, Michalek, Latendresse, Regin, Alfredsson and Butler (health=conditioning). Then factor in that Zibanejad might not make the team and Silfverberg might not be a top 6er yet, and I really fail to see a logjam with Kostitsyn... I just see us covering our bases perfectly.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:09 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Eugene View Post
Kristian Huselius.
If he was healthy he'd crack my top 5 FA's. C'est tout.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:12 PM
sg58

Huselius is an interesting player, especially since he much like Latendresse is eligible for bonuses.

But, much like Latendresse, the reasons that he is are causes for some worry, of course.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
We should sign Darcy Hordichuk. amiright Don Brennan??

Old
07-16-2012, 11:00 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Eugene View Post
Kristian Huselius.
Wow! Does he ever fly under the radar or what? Thanks for bringing him up cause I cannot recall the last time I heard his name.

Interesting option for sure, a veteran who has the skill and experience and has proven he can make an impact as a top 6 forward. So he played only 2 games last season due to surgery so that was a write off. The year before he began batting injuries and played in only 39 games but still managed 14 goals and 24 points so that's still decent. Last time he was healthy in 09 he played in 74 games and put up 23 goals and 63 points while the year before that 21 goals and 56 points in 74 games. That was all with Columbus so to be a 55-60 point player on a weak team is impressive. Before that he was very solid in Calgary putting up 66 and 77 points including a whopping 34 goals his first season there.

I've always liked his game and he would look good in the top 6, unfortunately NOT alongside Latendresse who is pretty much the exact same rebound type player in a similar situation. That's just a tad too risky. But hey if it was a 1 or 2 year deal at say 2-2.5 million per maybe you take a shot.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:16 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Its the injuries that have been fairly serious for Huselius. Groin adductors are just unpredictable for hockey players. He's not ancient but he's not young and he's also had trouble with that pectoral.

It wouldn't hurt to have him around but it would be a shame to clog up the forward positions with so many players knocking. Plus, we already have enough players with injury concerns in the mix with Regin, Latendresse, Michalek, Spezza and even Alfredsson. I'm even a little concerned about Smith.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
I'd give Huselius a shot, but for no more then what Latendresse makes. He could probably make more over seas on a 1 year contract and if he stays relatively healthy he'll be able to come back over and make more cash.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:35 PM
MAK19

Hells no to Hoo-Zoo-Lee-Us

Only ones left interested in for the right price

Doan
Colaiacovo
Winnik
O'Sullivan (2-way)

POS could be steal

Old
07-16-2012, 11:41 PM
MAK19

Also Bear Brule.

He's intriguing.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:15 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Also Bear Brule.

He's intriguing.
No he's really not. What are you basing that on exactly?

Old
07-17-2012, 12:40 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Skilled, feisty. Has put up decent numbers in the past, and isn't an old man yet. Needs good coaching probably

Old
07-17-2012, 12:58 AM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Skilled, feisty. Has put up decent numbers in the past, and isn't an old man yet. Needs good coaching probably
He put up good numbers on a horrible Edmonton team in 2010. Mostly because of his 14% shooting percentage and sheltered ice time.

Other than that he's been a marginal pro. No thanks.

I don't want any of the remaining FA forwards, actually. Semin if there was a good fit and the price was right, but I'm quite happy to see Ottawa do nothing else up front.

I think we need to address the D though. I don't like Methot as the sole Kuba replacement.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:01 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
He put up good numbers on a horrible Edmonton team in 2010. Mostly because of his 14% shooting percentage and sheltered ice time.

Other than that he's been a marginal pro. No thanks.

I don't want any of the remaining FA forwards, actually. Semin if there was a good fit and the price was right, but I'm quite happy to see Ottawa do nothing else up front.

I think we need to address the D though. I don't like Methot as the sole Kuba replacement.
He almost put up 0.5 ppg this year in Phoenix. He's never had good coaching ever.

He's definitely better than Butler and Daugavins at any rate.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:09 AM
jordan7hm

Quote:
He almost put up 0.5 ppg this year in Phoenix. He's never had good coaching ever.

He's definitely better than Butler and Daugavins at any rate.
Daugavins has a completely different role, there's no point comparing them.

Butler and Brule are comparable though. They both are marginal NHLers who probably shouldn't be in Ottawa's system.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:28 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
Daugavins has a completely different role, there's no point comparing them.

Butler and Brule are comparable though. They both are marginal NHLers who probably shouldn't be in Ottawa's system.
Brule is better suited for the bottom 6 than Butler definitely, and arguably Daugavins. imo better offensively than both of them.

Yes at this point Brule is a marginal NHLer (did well in Phoenix's bottom 6 though), but that's the point. He's a project. At best he establishes himself as a legit top 9 forward, at worst he's a 12th/13th forward.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:57 AM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
I'd really love someone to explain exactly how having a "locker room cancer" on your team has any actual influence on the teams success or lack thereof. I don't know about the rest of you, but if one quiet Russian can completely wreck a teams chemistry causing them all to lose games, then that team wasn't very good in the first place. It's not like he's ****ing peoples wives either.
Talent can overcome a lot of other deficiencies and if all that was wrong was that he wasn't a great guy off the ice but he produced on it, then most teams wouldn't have too big an issue with it. And pretty much as a rule, winning cures everything.

The problem arises when things aren't going great and teams get in a funk. If you don't have a harmonious dressing room, then this is where a lot of negativity can take hold and things can spiral quickly. I think it's more about work ethic then it is how "nice" or "fun" a guy is. If you've got a guy who takes long stretches of time off and doesn't appear to really care (something Semin has been accused of rightly or wrongly in the past), then that type of garbage can fester and turn a little 5 game skid into a bigtime losing streak because the team is too busy quietly sniping at each other behind each other's backs rather than figuring out a way together to right the ship.

If you're looking for an example of this, the 07-08 version of the Sens fits pretty well. Ray Emery got his big contract after going to the Finals the year before and some of his more immature tendencies started to emerge. He partied hard, he was more arrogant and dismissive with the media and most importantly, his work ethic lagged and he was not working on his game in practice. He just wasn't as focused and it showed because he was often not even on time. Regardless, the Sens started the season like a house on fire and rolled over everyone in the first 2 months of the season (they were 16-3 to start the season). Then they ran into the inevitable funk and all of a sudden, a lot of the crap that the team had been putting up with when it came to Emery became much more of an issue once they weren't winning anymore. He made things worse, became a huge distraction, it escalated to the point where the team spiraled and they never really recovered. John Paddock had to pay the price with his job and the team immediately ate a good chunk of Emery's contract in the offseason to buy him out and get him away from the team (coincidentally, they finally stopped paying him that buyout this past season).

I'm not saying that Semin is anything like Ray Emery circa 07-08, just simply showing that these types of issues can definitely affect a team's performance. People can dismiss Matt Bradley's comments as a bitter ex-teammate but the fact is that he obviously felt that Semin was a problem on that Caps team when he played there and so it's probably not that hard to guess that he wasn't the only guy grumbling about Semin's effort level in that dressing room. Whether he was justified in doing so doesn't really matter as the team that year (and most years recently) underachieved and just didn't look cohesive when the going got tough.

I would never lay all that on one guy but I think from observation and from comments made by many who have access to players around the league, that he's closer to the problem than he is the solution. When you've got a guy like Shawn Simpson who worked in the Caps organization when Semin was first brought in saying that he's a red flag and has serious work ethic and attitude issues, you have to pay attention. I think points are great and he's obviously a ridiculously talented player but there are other considerations besides points that you need to think of when building a team.

I think Semin's ideal landing spot would be a veteran team with a very strong leadership core (probably would help if a Russian was part of that core since he barely speaks English) so that he has more support and can do his own thing without upsetting the existing dynamic. Detroit seems like a no brainer to me. The Sens I don't think are there yet. Alfie and Gonchar are almost assuredly only here for one more season and after that, there will be a serious leadership vacuum. If it was just 1 year, then I think they might consider it (as would many teams) but he's looking for a longterm deal and I think if that's the case, you better make damn sure you are set up to support him longterm with your core.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
I'm not saying that Semin is anything like Ray Emery circa 07-08, just simply showing that these types of issues can definitely affect a team's performance. People can dismiss Matt Bradley's comments as a bitter ex-teammate but the fact is that he obviously felt that Semin was a problem on that Caps team when he played there and so it's probably not that hard to guess that he wasn't the only guy grumbling about Semin's effort level in that dressing room. Whether he was justified in doing so doesn't really matter as the team that year (and most years recently) underachieved and just didn't look cohesive when the going got tough.

I would never lay all that on one guy but I think from observation and from comments made by many who have access to players around the league, that he's closer to the problem than he is the solution. When you've got a guy like Shawn Simpson who worked in the Caps organization when Semin was first brought in saying that he's a red flag and has serious work ethic and attitude issues, you have to pay attention. I think points are great and he's obviously a ridiculously talented player but there are other considerations besides points that you need to think of when building a team.
It seems ignorant to take what they say and then ignore what Boudreau and Arnott have said. There are two sides to every coin. People used to say terrible things about Spezza all the time when our team wasn't performing up to the standards we had set for ourselves. Every team needs a scapegoat.

Not saying that Semin gets along with everyone or that he doesn't have other issues. It just seems that, and especially with Russian players, the media will grab onto one little negative thing and then run with it.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:31 AM
mcnorth

Why would the same guys who thought moving Foligno was a good idea based on the idea that we had to make room for some of the prospects want to sign a FA forward? Do we need the room or not? "Let's get rid of Nicky b/c we need to make room for the young guys... and then we'll sign Huselius."

I mean, I know we need to hit the cap floor... but come on. Legit top liner or nothing IMO.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

I would take a chance on Huselius like we have taken a chance on Latendresse.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:02 AM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
Why would the same guys who thought moving Foligno was a good idea based on the idea that we had to make room for some of the prospects want to sign a FA forward? Do we need the room or not? "Let's get rid of Nicky b/c we need to make room for the young guys... and then we'll sign Huselius."

I mean, I know we need to hit the cap floor... but come on. Legit top liner or nothing IMO.
totally agreed. no room for huselius. i would rather bring up hoffman or petersson before getting this guy.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
totally agreed. no room for huselius. i would rather bring up hoffman or petersson before getting this guy.

Huselius is proven and can score 20+ goals when healty.. Hoffman and Petersson aren't even proven and might not even get a lot of points.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:05 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
He is basing it on the fact that he is already calling him "Bear", rather than "Gilbert".

Closed Thread