HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part III - The Brenden Morrow Saga

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Marcel was an exaggeration of course.

I do think that Michalek probably does have a hockey IQ similar to Hossa's, but the hands aren't there.

I think the best way to describe Michalek is that his hands never caught up to his wheels.
I wasn't referring to his overall game, more the WAY he plays the game.

He does the same type of move.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:18 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
What's "faux" about a guy elevating his game in the playoffs?
By 'faux' clutch I mean players who are labelled 'clutch' based on a very short sample size. Talbot, for example, scored two goals in the SCF Game 7 and Pens fans were quick to call him a clutch player. A more correct statement would be he scored 'clutch' (timely) goals, because his overall body of work suggests he isn't consistently as 'clutch' as that game in 2009 would suggest. Thus, his 'clutch' playoff game was an aberration and on the whole he isn't a clutch player.

Old
08-07-2012, 07:06 PM
LOLERSKATES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
Boyle didn't want to come to Ottawa at the time.
that's false. boyle had a no trade clause and ottawa was the 1st team he wanted to go to. in fact, i remember bryan murray and the organization being very flattered by his desire to play here, there was just no room for his contract at the time.

if only heatley had asked for his trade that off-season! losing heatley and meszaros but adding michalek and boyle would've been a way better trade off.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:24 AM
JonnyMacSen
2nd round Chlapik!

So with Mez now potentially out for a extended amount of time, Philly is going to have to make a move for a dman at some point. They've been rumoured to be interested in Gonchar in the past.

Can we afford to trade Gonchar? Perhaps if we sign Colaiacovo beforehand? I think trading him now could potentially get us a better return than the deadline (if out of the playoffs). But would leave a hole in our D and our cap hit, perhaps he would be a peice to a bigger deal?

Old
08-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
So with Mez now potentially out for a extended amount of time, Philly is going to have to make a move for a dman at some point. They've been rumoured to be interested in Gonchar in the past.

Can we afford to trade Gonchar? Perhaps if we sign Colaiacovo beforehand? I think trading him now could potentially get us a better return than the deadline (if out of the playoffs). But would leave a hole in our D and our cap hit, perhaps he would be a peice to a bigger deal?

If we trade Gonchar, we'll need to bring in roughly $7 000 000 to reach the current cap floor.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:40 AM
JonnyMacSen
2nd round Chlapik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
If we trade Gonchar, we'll need to bring in roughly $7 000 000 to reach the current cap floor.
So who do we have to add with Gonchar to get Briere?

but yeah...a trade seems unlikely unless the CBA can lower the cap floor. Just bored and trying to stir up some convo about hockey.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I think the cap floor will be lowered, but not enough to trade Gonchar without bringing anyone back.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:43 AM
playasRus

vCash: 50
I still think Gonchar has a good year in him yet. Especially after how the team played last year, I think that would give any old vet a jolt of energy for a final good year.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:44 AM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

If we trade Gonchar we better be getting an offensive d-man back, cause we'll only have Karlsson left

Old
08-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I think Gonchar CAN have a good year, depending on what you consider a good year.

If you expect him to be a #2 like he's paid to be, you're bound to be disappointed. However, if you expect him to be a solid second pairing contributor, then I think he can definitely have a good year.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Not to mention the "rumour" was Marc Crawford saying what he we do.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:32 PM
JonnyMacSen
2nd round Chlapik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Not to mention the "rumour" was Marc Crawford saying what he we do.
This is the first I've heard of this? I've just seen his name mentioned a few times in past articles.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:56 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Gonchar + Greening + Puempel/Da Costa for Briere + Rinaldo

I would do anything for Briere

Old
08-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Otto your shtick is already gone.

Problem with Briere is that he doesn't really fit in line with the whole young core idea.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Quote:
I think the cap floor will be lowered, but not enough to trade Gonchar without bringing anyone back.
Just do what I do in NHL12 while I wait for my young players to want enough money.

To Montreal:
Sergei Gonchar

To Ottawa:
Scott Gomez (Yay for negative trade value)
1st RND 2013
2nd RND 2013

Gomez only makes like 4mil in actual salary next season, and adds cultural diversity to the team, so he can go sit in the press box while the 7mil cap hit keeps Ottawa comfortably above the floor with a growing hispanic fanbase. Shawn Horcoff is another serviceable anchor for one's payroll, but unfortunately only brings in more fans that like over paid old Canadians.

Last edited by Yokai: 08-08-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old
08-08-2012, 02:42 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Otto your shtick is already gone.

Problem with Briere is that he doesn't really fit in line with the whole young core idea.
Let's be honest, that shtick wasn't bound to shtick around for too long.

I just love Briere and think his consistency through the playoffs would be huge for us. It's nice having 3-5 guys you KNOW will produce (Spezza, Alfie, Briere, Karlsson, Neil) over the next few years. That breeds a winning culture.

Also, if you weren't willing to do the deal you should have just said, "But I won't do that."

I set it up perfectly

Old
08-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Just do what I do in NHL12 while I wait for my young players to want enough money.

To Montreal:
Sergei Gonchar

To Ottawa:
1st RND 2013
2nd RND 2013

Gomez only makes like 4mil in actual salary next season, and adds cultural diversity to the team, so he can go sit in the press box while the 7mil cap hit keeps Ottawa comfortably above the floor with a growing hispanic fanbase. Shawn Horcoff is another serviceable anchor for one's payroll, but unfortunately only brings in more fans that like over paid old Canadians.
Id do this, but I doubt the Habs do.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Quote:
You'd be surprised the French are a very unorthodox people. For reference please see the student's protest over paying the lowest rates for post-secondary education in Canada.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:47 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Include Dauggy in the deal-

Silf-Spezza-Micka
Tender-Turret-Alfie
Regin-Gomez-Zibanejad
Greening-Smith-Neil
O'Brien, Condra

Ice that line-up and you suckers might just get to see my "o" face

Old
08-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Include Dauggy in the deal-

Silf-Spezza-Micka
Tender-Turret-Alfie
Regin-Gomez-Zibanejad
Greening-Smith-Neil
O'Brien, Condra

Ice that line-up and you suckers might just get to see my "o" face
Don't you mean:

"Ice dat line up man......"

Old
08-08-2012, 03:23 PM
dan1el

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post

To Montreal:
Sergei Gonchar

To Ottawa:
1st RND 2013
2nd RND 2013

Gomez has some pretty bad value, but it's not that bad. I'd do this by adding something, but I'm not sure what we'd need to add.

Old
08-08-2012, 04:28 PM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

Gonchar, Da Costa/Petersson, 1st rounder for Briere?

That would be a fantastic trade and good value for Philly if they are need of a d-man. Gonchar still carries value as a top 4 d-man and PP guy, Da Costa or Petersson or hell even Hoffman are B-tier prospects who still have some solid potential and a 1st rounder which is likely in the 15-20 range again sweetens the deal. We'd get a great addition to the top 6, a veteran who is a reliable and consistent 25-30 goals and 60 points and is a clutch playoff performer. He could play alongside Spezza on the top line or with Alfie and Turris on the second line.

Only thing is after Philly already dealt JVR, I doubt they would want to trade another top 6 forward.

Old
08-08-2012, 05:20 PM
sens613

I am already worried enough about our defence without trading Gonchar. We are banking on enough guys who have proved very little at this level ( silver , mika , turris , methot , cowen , bishop) to part with any of the still useful veterans we have on the roster.

Old
08-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens613 View Post
I am already worried enough about our defence without trading Gonchar. We are banking on enough guys who have proved very little at this level ( silver , mika , turris , methot , cowen , bishop) to part with any of the still useful veterans we have on the roster.
Methot doesn't belong there, nor does Turris or Cowen in my opinion.

Old
08-08-2012, 05:54 PM
sens613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Methot doesn't belong there, nor does Turris or Cowen in my opinion.
Methot , played on a perennial loser in a non hockey market with little pressure. We are trying to build a winning atmosphere in a hockey driven city, so he has to prove he can succeed here.

Turris , first time he will be counted on as a regular top 6 forward for 82 games

Cowen , looked good as a rookie but still we are relying on him to play top 4 minutes and he has only one year under his belt , aka proved only a little though no fault of his own.

So my point stands, those players still have a lot to prove at this level imo , that we cannot part with any proven players at this point. I understand we are in a rebuild but I think that includes having veterans who have had successful careers to help guide the new influx of young talent.

Closed Thread