HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part III - The Brenden Morrow Saga

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2012, 07:50 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Maybe soft mesnt injury wise? 2 concussions this year??

Who knows?
Alfie had 2 concussions this year.

07-12-2012, 07:51 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
He has soft hands?...
Obviously he means he has soft skin. Moisturizer ftw?

Old
07-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Is that something people say? Soft = injury prone?

Mike Fisher was really soft then.
No idea. Again, it came from Calle Johanssen... Maybe he sees things differently than most??

Old
07-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Also, Leaf fans truly were quite happy with the looks of that defense I posted above. Even more when franchise D-man Schenn was drafted in June of '08.

Kaberle was an elite offensive D-man who just spent 3 straight seasons in the top-10 in D-scoring. The comparisons aren't the greatest, but you do need to account for him honestly.
The difference is that our defence produced and has played well while Toronto still thinks they have one of the deepest pools of defencemen in the league. There's no comparing Kaberle to Karlsson so I'm not going there it's just silly.

Quote:
CJam is advocating that we deal our best prospects for quick fixes the way that Toronto did.
Every team has prospects that they are enamoured with; our superiority lies with a few guys at the top... not every single prospect we have.
Yeah that's not what I'm advocating at all. In fact the only two prospects I've been open to dealing are Zibanejad and Lehner and that's because I think that they have tangible value still and I don't think they're head and shoulders above other prospects we have coming up (Silfverberg, Noesen, Prince, Stone, Bishop, etc.)

My entire argument is predicated on us having a deep enough prospect pool to deal one or two to make our team better now and for the future. Again, our situation is nothing like Toronto's I don't know why you keep comparing it as such.

Quote:
He was an elite offensive D-man at that time in his career who had just spent 3+ seasons as a dominant PPQB. We have nothing else (beyond Spezza or Karlsson) now that had the impact he did back then.
So we have two players on our team with more impact than Kaberle had and others that border on it (Turris was great for us when he joined the team, Alfredsson still provides a similar impact and should play this year, and Michalek was a very potent offensive threat)...oh yeah and all of those guys are 28 and under minus Alfie.

Quote:
Read above about how similar their two seasons were. Toskala had the same history as a back-up that Anderson did and was a key in helping San Jose advance in the postseason. The only thing that Anderson had on him was the one successful season as a starter in Colorado.
Anderson has proven playoff performances as well as better numbers before becoming a starter. Look at Toskala before he came to the Leafs -- he was NEVER successful. All the hype in the world doesn't change the facts. Anderson was better before and after he joined the Sens than Toskala ever was.

Quote:
How are the others proven? ... They had numerous players 25 and under who had put up 40+ point seasons. We don't; we don't have any proven secondary scoring whatsever.
What do you consider secondary scoring? Our bottom 6 was scoring when our top guys weren't and that was winning us games. They might not be prolific but they provided the secondary scoring necessary for us to win games. If you're referring to non-Spezza/Karlsson contributors there's Michalek and Turris who both showed last year that they can produce at a good level and Alfredsson isn't done yet. Inject Silfverberg and Stone as well as guys like Prince, Noesen, Puempel, Zibanejad and JGP coming up and I'd like to think there's a very high chance we add some more scoring to our line-up.

Quote:
You can keep trumpeting that playoff line, but it was on the backs of 35 year olds... not Cowen, Turris, Greening, Silfverberg, Stone or whoever you're pimping right now.
Actually it was on the backs of Spezza (28), Karlsson (21) and Anderson (31). Guys like Greening (25), Foligno (24), Turris (22), Smith (23) and Michalek (26) provided a ton for us on top of support from the veterans.

I can tell you're getting frustrated with your circular arguments that aren't true by the 'pimping' line. As though me lauding the accomplishments of the players we have on our team in the NHL last year is somehow pimping.

Quote:
Karlsson was the only "strong youth" who carried us to the playoffs, the others were depth players.
If you say so, but look at any team and you'll see that most of them are "depth players" that contribute a lot to the team. We got a lot of contributions from our depth players...who are young. Spezza, Michalek and Karlsson are all still young and would be considered among the elite in the league. Look at New Jersey and tell me how many elite players they had getting to the finals. What about New York? We were a game away from beating them and we slipped up.

Depth players need to be contributors and ours were and our team is only going to be stronger this year.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:39 PM
HugeMidget

In regards to needing a top 6 winger and possibly more toughness, why not kill two birds with one stone with Ryane Clowe?

I'm not sure what it would take, Zibby+?

Old
07-12-2012, 09:54 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeMidget View Post
In regards to needing a top 6 winger and possibly more toughness, why not kill two birds with one stone with Ryane Clowe?

clowe would be great, but wouldn't be cheap.

as for arnott, there is no room in the bottom six for the guy.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:16 PM
TooLow494

of small importance but should Ottawa give Mathieu Theriault Corbeil a shot as a backup to Lehner this year in AHL...

CLB chose not to retain his rights... he had the best GAA in the Q and won back to back QMJHL championships.

He's 6'6''.

Haven't seen him play much except for memorial cup where he did not look spectacular.

thoughts?

Old
07-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeMidget View Post

Hell no! Why is it that some of you seem so eager to trade away a 19 year old who has only played 9 nhl games?

Old
07-12-2012, 10:43 PM
bacon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo Panaflex View Post
Hell no! Why is it that some of you seem so eager to trade away a 19 year old who has only played 9 nhl games?
No one is eager to get rid of Zibenejad, he is just thrown into trade speculation and rumours cause he is the Sens best trading piece. It is fun to see the Z diehard fans reactions when a proposal is brought up though.

Like say..... Zibinejad + for iginla

wait for it... wait for it...

edited

Last edited by bacon25: 07-12-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old
07-12-2012, 10:44 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Haven't seen this article posted anywhere so here it is. There is nothing that confirms Alfie's return but things are looking good.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/07/12/...nators-believe

Quote:
“We just talked about the team, we talked about what was happening around the team, the additions and subtractions,” said Murray. “So that tells me there’s some real interest on his part, in knowing what’s going on, and I think it’s as a player. I don’t think it’s in the off-ice part of his career at this point in time.

“I’m hoping that’s the case, but I’m not going to ask the question. He’s going to decide the timing, and what he finally decides. But the impression I got was a good one, put it that way.”

Old
07-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
No one is eager to get rid of Zibenejad, he is just thrown into trade speculation and rumours cause he is the Sens best trading piece. It is fun to see the Z diehard fans reactions when a proposal is brought up though.

Like say..... Zibinejad + for Doan

wait for it... wait for it...
You fool. Doan is a free agent! We could have him for free!

Old
07-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
hook, line and sinker.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:01 PM
bacon25

Quote:
**** I meant to put Iginla

Old
07-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Benny FTW
C===Benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
**** I meant to put Iginla
still no

Old
07-12-2012, 11:27 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRenzo View Post
@trent

Agreed, you are supposed to value your first round pick but i clearly stated over value. I am doubtful you could acquire a top six forward for Zib alone, I said you would need to add value. Zib was not rated to go in the 6th spot so maybe GMs dont see what the Murray bros and scouts saw therefore you would need to add more for to make the deal.

Calle Johansson mentioned on the Team 1200 that he considers Zib soft and I believe Simmer agreed with him or at least thought it raised flags.
We couldn't get a 1st liner for Zib and we shouldn't deal him for a 2nd liner.

He was rated around where Ottawa choose him. It's not like they choose somebody rated an average of 20 spots below where he was chosen. Nothing happened to his value this past season.

Our Murray's are uncle and nephew.

I would like to know the context of anybody calling him soft, because that sounds crazy after his audition with us.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:38 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

The only player I would deal Zibanejad for in a realistic trade scenario is Evander Kane. Would love to have a top line of Kane-Spezza-Michalek. Plus, everyone knows Karlsson and Kane are bffs. Otherwise leave Zibby alone. He just needs some time to develop.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:28 AM
neutral zone trap13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
The only player I would deal Zibanejad for in a realistic trade scenario is Evander Kane. Would love to have a top line of Kane-Spezza-Michalek. Plus, everyone knows Karlsson and Kane are bffs. Otherwise leave Zibby alone. He just needs some time to develop.
What's the story on this? And I'd be down for this, but I have a feeling that Jets fans would want a lot on top of Zbad

Old
07-13-2012, 02:06 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral zone trap13 View Post
What's the story on this? And I'd be down for this, but I have a feeling that Jets fans would want a lot on top of Zbad

Old
07-13-2012, 02:15 AM
Benny FTW
C===Benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Gonna miss Carkner

Old
07-13-2012, 02:27 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Has anyone noticed that the thread title says Brandon Morrow?

Old
07-13-2012, 02:45 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
way less
I wouldn't say way less. He may not have the same offensive output as Ribeiro but he has valuable intangibles that, depending on the person, might have higher value or significance.

Morrow is the heartbeat of the Stars, he's their captain. The loss of a leader like him with his physical play and defensive prowess while maintaining respectable offensive numbers would be huge for Dallas.

Players like Morrow are heart and soul players, they can carry their team, they don't go for anything less than a premium.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:50 AM
kuf

What about Loui Eriksson? Still quite young (26), can play LW/RW and would probably be productive with Spezza. Has also been voted most underrated player in the NHLPA poll 10/11 and 3rd in the same poll 11/12. What would it take to get him?

Not to mention he's a swede to add to the upcoming swedish dynasty!

Old
07-13-2012, 03:33 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuf View Post
What about Loui Eriksson? Still quite young (26), can play LW/RW and would probably be productive with Spezza. Has also been voted most underrated player in the NHLPA poll 10/11 and 3rd in the same poll 11/12. What would it take to get him?

It would take way, way, way too much.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:45 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Judging by Dallas' offseason moves to acquire older top 6 guys in Jagr and Whitney plus Derek Roy who only has 1 year left, moving Eriksson or Benn would be the very last thing they'd currently consider. They look to have a fairly potent offense next season. Dealing Morrow in a package to improve their D could make sense. Eriksson might even be their next captain if they do that.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:49 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuf View Post

Start with Zibanejad + 1st in 2013 + A Prospect

Closed Thread