HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part III - The Brenden Morrow Saga

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2012, 05:26 AM
kuf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Judging by Dallas' offseason moves to acquire older top 6 guys in Jagr and Whitney plus Derek Roy who only has 1 year left, moving Eriksson or Benn would be the very last thing they'd currently consider. They look to have a fairly potent offense next season. Dealing Morrow in a package to improve their D could make sense. Eriksson might even be their next captain if they do that.
You're right, they didn't exactly get any younger.

While I would like to see any great player to bolster the squad, I like to speculate on swedes. Any other swedes you would see fit in well? I know Hjalmarsson has been mentioned a lot around here.

Old
07-13-2012, 06:29 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuf View Post
You're right, they didn't exactly get any younger.

While I would like to see any great player to bolster the squad, I like to speculate on swedes. Any other swedes you would see fit in well? I know Hjalmarsson has been mentioned a lot around here.
Douglas Murray and Nik Hjalmarsson as you mention are two names that could be on the move. SJS has "too many" good defensemen, but don't know if they'd be a good trading partner for us, we haven't got too many pieces that could help those guys now.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:24 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
There's no comparing Kaberle to Karlsson so I'm not going there it's just silly.
Yet, there's nobody else beyond Spezza or Karlsson that quite matches Kaberle at his peak on our team.

Quote:
Yeah that's not what I'm advocating at all. In fact the only two prospects I've been open to dealing are Zibanejad and Lehner and that's because I think that they have tangible value still and I don't think they're head and shoulders above other prospects we have coming up (Silfverberg, Noesen, Prince, Stone, Bishop, etc.)
When two of our top-4 prospects are gone, our prospect pool will look very average very quickly. It's the guys at the top who make the difference.

Quote:
My entire argument is predicated on us having a deep enough prospect pool to deal one or two to make our team better now and for the future. Again, our situation is nothing like Toronto's I don't know why you keep comparing it as such.
Morrow isn't a move for the future.

Because the prospects they had developed at that point were middle tier players, which is pretty much what happened for us last season.

Quote:
So we have two players on our team with more impact than Kaberle had and others that border on it (Turris was great for us when he joined the team, Alfredsson still provides a similar impact and should play this year, and Michalek was a very potent offensive threat)...oh yeah and all of those guys are 28 and under minus Alfie.
Kaberle was a Boyle, Campbell, Yandle, Streit. Kyle ****ing Turris did not have anywhere near that kind of impact.

We still have Alfredsson, they still had Sundin at that point.

We have Michalek, they had Antropov... plus 4 other young forwards with 40+ points seasons already and Jason Blake.

Quote:
Anderson has proven playoff performances as well as better numbers before becoming a starter. Look at Toskala before he came to the Leafs -- he was NEVER successful. All the hype in the world doesn't change the facts. Anderson was better before and after he joined the Sens than Toskala ever was.
He was a back up with .930 SV%'s and a deep postseason run. There was a lot of hype for Toskala to become a great starter. You're using hindsight again; why don't you read up on some old HF threads. The guy went for 3 times as much as Bishop did, why do you think it is?

Quote:
What do you consider secondary scoring? Our bottom 6 was scoring when our top guys weren't and that was winning us games. They might not be prolific but they provided the secondary scoring necessary for us to win games. If you're referring to non-Spezza/Karlsson contributors there's Michalek and Turris who both showed last year that they can produce at a good level and Alfredsson isn't done yet. Inject Silfverberg and Stone as well as guys like Prince, Noesen, Puempel, Zibanejad and JGP coming up and I'd like to think there's a very high chance we add some more scoring to our line-up.
You're planning on trading Zibanejad for an injury prone player who is 14 years older than he is.

Our bottom 6 guys put up 3rd and 4th line numbers. That's great, that's their job and they did it well.

Our secondary scoring would be the guys you might expect to fill out a 2nd PP unit. That's Greening and his 37 point career high, Turris and his 29 point career high, Latendresse if he makes it past the 20 game mark, possibly Silfverberg... and lord know who on defense (behind Karlsson and Gonchar).

Quote:
Actually it was on the backs of Spezza (28), Karlsson (21) and Anderson (31). Guys like Greening (25), Foligno (24), Turris (22), Smith (23) and Michalek (26) provided a ton for us on top of support from the veterans.
Kuba, Gonchar and Alfie led our team in minutes played and were amongst the top scorers. Kuba's already gone, Alfie and Gonchar will soon follow. Phillips (another big minute guy) goes the year after that. Our prospects probably won't develop quick enough to keep us from taking a step backwards, because we're talking about junior aged kids now... not the 23-25 yo AHL vets we promoted last year.

Anderson's age is fine, but at 31yo with 3 years left on his deal... I can't imagine the team filling all of those holes above and improving on top of that. Anderson will not play on a contending team in Ottawa. We aren't set up to peak while he's still here.

Quote:
As though me lauding the accomplishments of the players we have on our team in the NHL last year is somehow pimping.
You're listing young depth players as important pieces over the veterans who actually played the minutes and scored the points.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
Start with Zibanejad + 1st in 2013 + A Prospect
And then add a whole lot more.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
Gonna miss Carks + Foligno tearing it up alongside Smithy and Neil...

Ahh well!

Lol over at the Toronto board, they've got a thread on SUPERSTAR NAZEM KADRI training with Gary Roberts

Old
07-13-2012, 08:42 AM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post

Ahh well!

Lol over at the Toronto board, they've got a thread on SUPERSTAR NAZEM KADRI training with Gary Roberts

I hope Cowen catches him with his head down someday.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:28 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that the thread title says Brandon Morrow?

Took 7 pages for someone to find that.

Add it to the list of my "old man"/ "preoccupied with selling my house and moving to Indonesia" moments over the past week.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:37 AM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post

Ahh well!

still think not as funny as the montreal thread on 'realistic' projections on their top prospects.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
still think not as funny as the montreal thread on 'realistic' projections on their top prospects.
just gave that a read...wow

Old
07-13-2012, 10:41 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Why is it funny? Everyone knows that Galchenyuk will be the next Toews, and Beaulieu is a HOF-bound PMD. Duh. Where have you been?

Old
07-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Took 7 pages for someone to find that.

Add it to the list of my "old man"/ "preoccupied with selling my house and moving to Indonesia" moments over the past week.
It's funny because when I saw you were the thread creator, I suspected that you were trying to trololololol us.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:23 AM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Zibanejad is not soft. That is a ridiculous and untrue statement about him. The guy goes out every shift and looks for a big hit. Or does soft mean something else in this man's language?
Johansson and Simmer speak hockey language and are far more fluent in that language then anyone else on this board. How you perceive Zib is irrelevant; how other GM's perceive Zib is what counts.

Sometimes you are the hammer and sometimes you are the nail. Hitting someone is the easy part how one reacts to being hit is a completely different game.

In the words of Mike Tyson, "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face"

Old
07-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

This isn't boxing, and ******* and tough guys get concussions when they are hit in the head all the same. This implication that your brain smashing against the inside of your skull makes you "soft" is ridiculous.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that the thread title says Brandon Morrow?

What are you talking about??

Old
07-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1989 View Post
I hope Cowen catches him with his head down someday.
I dont want Cowen sent back down to the AHL...

Old
07-13-2012, 12:21 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
This isn't boxing, and ******* and tough guys get concussions when they are hit in the head all the same. This implication that your brain smashing against the inside of your skull makes you "soft" is ridiculous.
Wow, the internet must be serious business to you.

I never said that hockey was a boxing match and i never said Zib was soft because of his concussions last year. I simply stated that was the opinion of a few people that have seen a lot more of Zib play than you are or I.

Hockey is a contact game and some people have no problem issuing the contact but wilt when they are on the receiving end of contact. You see it all the time, perimeter players that dont like to get dirty in front of the net or players that dont like to aggressively forecheck in the corners, etc.

We wont truly know what type of player Zib turns out to be for a few more years.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Lets see those sources.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Ed Wood

I think we should sign Shane Doan five years ago.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:36 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Why is it funny? Everyone knows that Galchenyuk will be the next Toews, and Beaulieu is a HOF-bound PMD. Duh. Where have you been?

planet earth i think.

although to be fair, there were some posts in that thread that were pretty realistic. but those accounted maybe 10% of the thread.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:38 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Simple physics says that the impact of say a hard elbow pad to the head when both players are moving will be far greater than a gloved punch from a boxer.

Say they are both moving at 15 mph, the impact will feel like 90 mph so imagine getting a 200 lb hard elbow in the head at 90 mph, and then call someone else soft.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:42 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
planet earth i think.

although to be fair, there were some posts in that thread that were pretty realistic. but those accounted maybe 10% of the thread.
Yeah the thread was unbearable to read after the OP's..

Basically had their top 5 prospects turning out to be comparable to 1st line NHLers. Collberg's expectations were the funniest. OP had him as Bobby Ryan, and lots of others had him scoring 30+ goals consistently.

You know you're in trouble when you see "realistic career projections" in a thread title.. It usually never is.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:43 PM
SaxPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
Alfie had 2 concussions this year.
Alfie's soft. Everybody knows this.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:53 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOnTheFront View Post
Yeah the thread was unbearable to read after the OP's..

Basically had their top 5 prospects turning out to be comparable to 1st line NHLers. Collberg's expectations were the funniest. OP had him as Bobby Ryan, and lots of others had him scoring 30+ goals consistently.

You know you're in trouble when you see "realistic career projections" in a thread title.. It usually never is.
so true. but actually it might be fun (and funny) if we had a thread like this of our own about our prospects. i wonder how many future hof's we have in our top 10...

Old
07-13-2012, 01:07 PM
SelleckStache

vCash: 50
Where has the Spezza trade talk gone to ? I miss those days

Old
07-13-2012, 01:17 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post