HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs are high on Korbinian Holzer

Old
07-11-2012, 12:46 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
Leafs are high on Korbinian Holzer

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/10...high-on-holzer

Quote:
TORONTO - Korbinian Holzer’s development with the Toronto Marlies could progress to the point where he is a full-time defenceman for the Maple Leafs in 2012-13.

Or it might not.

“No one is automatically on the team,” Leafs assistant general manager Claude Loiselle said Tuesday. “Anyone has to come in and make the team.”

But in Holzer’s case, the Leafs think he is ready to take that next step. The 6-foot-3, 205-pound native of Germany helped form the Marlies’ shut-down pair with Mark Fraser, and among his assets is his skating, which is a basic for any player with designs on playing regularly in the National Hockey League.

“No. 1, he’s a good skater and he sees the ice well,” Loiselle said. “He plays with a little jam, and being paired with Fraser, it brought out the physical part of his game. He was just one of many guys who benefited from the Marlies’ playoff run.”

Part of what enabled Holzer to excel in the AHL was the Leafs’ willingness to let him learn at a comfortable pace. There was no need to rush him to the Air Canada Centre — Holzer played for the Leafs in two games two seasons ago, and though he was recalled a couple of times last season, wasn’t kept around for long stretches with the Leafs simply to watch from the press box.

“That’s the key, the work at that level and playing in meaningful games,” Loiselle said. “Playing upward of 25 minutes a game and in key situations.

“He was a horse down there, but now he has to come and make it (with the Leafs).”

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:18 AM
edwardslane

Holzer at 575k could turn into a steal if he's solid for us this year. and it makes a player like Franson Expendable.

I think Franson + Macarthur + 2nd pick in 2013 + Prospect ala Mckegg can yield us a solid return and wouldn't really hurt us too badly.

However if the leafs like to carry 7 dmen in case of injury then we could very well see franson on the blueline with Holzer filling in when players are injured.

Blacker + Reilly i'm sure could use 1 more year of dev time.. Blacker maybe half a year being the guy on the marlies to see how he responds to that role.

edwardslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:19 AM
robdicks

I get the feeling people aren't going to like this guy just because they seem to be over-hyping him. I hope he can play against NHL players, but I guess we will see.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:19 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Looking forward to seeing him play. We obviously have faith in him if we signed him to a 1-way contract.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:21 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I hope this doesn't mean people create pressure on him or expect things that he isn't capable of.

07-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Median

Worst case scenario we trade him or put him on waivers, it's not like someone more deserving can't replace him if required. Seems like a good deal for 1 year.

Median is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:38 AM
ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Looking forward to seeing him play. We obviously have faith in him if we signed him to a 1-way contract.
I think otherwise he would have left the Leafs for the DEL, good Germans earn more money here than in the AHL on a 2-way-contract. I'm not saying he is all about the money, but he has already spent 2 years in the AHL, I can't see him staying patient forever.

I hope he can snag a roster place and become a regular this year, really love his game .

ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:53 AM
MoeMoney

I don't like this Loiselle guy, sounds very cocky and full of himself. Where did he come from anyway?

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:56 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I hope this doesn't mean people create pressure on him or expect things that he isn't capable of.
What pressure? He's been given plenty of time to develop ad his own pace in the AHL.. He's 24 it's time to see wether he has it or not...signed a 1 way 500k contract to be the 7th damn...he is what he is... No one expects Nik Lidstrom here...

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:03 AM
thas

Quote:
There will be pressure since this is Toronto, but I just hope people keep their expectations realistic. In my eyes, Holzer is nothing more than a very good 5/6 dman.

thas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:20 AM
FireEverybody*

He is going to take Fransons job, that is my expectations. (not much imo)

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:33 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

vCash: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by thas View Post
There will be pressure since this is Toronto, but I just hope people keep their expectations realistic. In my eyes, Holzer is nothing more than a very good 5/6 dman.
Not that I necessarily disagree, but what is this based on?

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:26 AM
gravyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
I don't like this Loiselle guy, sounds very cocky and full of himself. Where did he come from anyway?
Wut?

gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:30 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Loiselle played in nj and quebec in the 1980's

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:36 AM
Yosho
Logic

Coolest name in the organization.

Excited to see what he can bring.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:07 AM
nsleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
I get the feeling people aren't going to like this guy just because they seem to be over-hyping him. I hope he can play against NHL players, but I guess we will see.

Sounds just like another player we all know...Kadri

nsleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Heatleys Eye

It's great to have all these defensemen coming up which is always a good thing - however as a Leaf fan since 1985ish I can't remember them ever being a team that you look at and say 'wow they're really good defensively'

Maybe they will actually learn how to keep pucks out of their net with RC leading them (statistically one of the worst goal against teams for a long time running now) - if not, I can't see how they make the playoffs in a very good Eastern Conference

Heatleys Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:31 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Holzer is the perfect example of how yo go about adding gritty defensive dmen to your bottom pair....don't waste big money or high draft picks to get them, that's for sure.

holzer should fit just fine on our bottom pair this year, and wil likely push komi right back into the presbox.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:37 AM
smitty10

Holzer was lights-out for the Marlies the past two seasons. He should have been in the NHL last year, but the experience of playing in that playoff run is definitely good for him. Holzer has so much experience for a 24 year old: he played pro in Germany for 3 years, has represented Germany in 2 WC's, has played in the Olympics and has played in the Calder Cup finals. He developed slowly like most German's, but he will be a very solid NHL defenseman. I hope his physical play translates from the AHL to the NHL.

Looking forward to watching him play on the Maple Leafs!

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:40 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
What pressure? He's been given plenty of time to develop ad his own pace in the AHL.. He's 24 it's time to see wether he has it or not...signed a 1 way 500k contract to be the 7th damn...he is what he is... No one expects Nik Lidstrom here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsleaf View Post
Sounds just like another player we all know...Kadri
I see no similarity between Kadri and Holzer.

One is always being touted as a top 6 forward, many pencil him into the 1st. line center position, without ever handling that spot in the minors.

One is being touted as a depth defender, at best 3rd. pairing guy replacing a departed 3rd. pairing guy, while he was key guy in the minors.

I have read almost nothing saying he's going to be a key player in the NHL, but 3rd. pairing guys are needed too.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:43 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post
It's great to have all these defensemen coming up which is always a good thing - however as a Leaf fan since 1985ish I can't remember them ever being a team that you look at and say 'wow they're really good defensively'

Maybe they will actually learn how to keep pucks out of their net with RC leading them (statistically one of the worst goal against teams for a long time running now) - if not, I can't see how they make the playoffs in a very good Eastern Conference
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...ainst&type=LEA

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Heatleys Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Thanks Ulf - if you have a bit of time, other than 1 season in nearly 30 years (from 1985 to now) any other good defensive years from Toronto?

Heatleys Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardslane View Post
Holzer at 575k could turn into a steal if he's solid for us this year. and it makes a player like Franson Expendable.

I think Franson + Macarthur + 2nd pick in 2013 + Prospect ala Mckegg can yield us a solid return and wouldn't really hurt us too badly.

However if the leafs like to carry 7 dmen in case of injury then we could very well see franson on the blueline with Holzer filling in when players are injured.

Blacker + Reilly i'm sure could use 1 more year of dev time.. Blacker maybe half a year being the guy on the marlies to see how he responds to that role.

How do you figure?

They play 2 very different styles of D. If anything, it makes Komisarek expendable. They aren't gonna ship out Franson just because of this "problem".

Last edited by Darkhorse1280: 07-11-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Polk High

Quote:
Keep hoping, I remember some around here having Schenn expendable because of Holzer. Hopefully he can come in and play well and is at least allowed some sort of learning curve.

Polk High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post
Thanks Ulf - if you have a bit of time, other than 1 season in nearly 30 years (from 1985 to now) any other good defensive years from Toronto?
Prior to 1992-1993 they were a miserable team across the board, so there's going to be nothing pleasant to look at from 85-92. Similarly, I think we all know about the post lockout problems.

1993-1994 they were 6th in goal dif. 1998-1999 they were 5th. 1999-2000 they were 10th. 2000-2001 they were 9th. 2001-2002 they were 5th. 2002-2003 they were 9th. 2003-2004 they were 7th.

So, in seven of eleven seasons, they were top ten in goal differential, and in each of those seasons, they were above +20. I don't have particulars on things like ESGD vs. PPGD vs. SHGD, but they might be out there -- I just don't care to do that much research for you.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote