HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs are high on Korbinian Holzer

Old
07-11-2012, 04:34 PM
number72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
I'd argue that no one on the Internet who uses any kind of an alias is sticking their neck out very far at all, because if they are very wrong, they can simply shut down their current alias and move on to another and most with few or no consequences.
Sounds like just what GMs do when they move to new teams.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Polk High

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
You do realize Schenn was 3rd. pairing with amongst the least TOI/g for all defenders?
I understand that but pound for pound I think we would all agree that Schenn was the player with the higher upside. If both players were playing side by side I'd venture to guess Schenn would be the more valuable player.

Polk High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:52 PM
RogerRoeper*

Cheap kids like this should be on the third pairing, not expensive wastes like Komisarek.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Ghostrider1174

Relax all. Holzer is going to be a good stay at home defenceman that has some grit to his game. He can play in NHL today. You always need that on a team. Remember Aki Berg,Bob Rouse,Jamie McCowen

Ghostrider1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:22 AM
PoisonMushroom
I'm a fungi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Cheap kids like this should be on the third pairing, not expensive wastes like Komisarek.
Absolutely, this is what teams need to do to manage the cap effectively. You can't have bottom-pairing defensemen making up a disproportionate amount of your cap space and expect to secure top-end talent at the same time. There's no sense in second or third pairing defensemen making Komisarek or Wideman money. No sense at all.

PoisonMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider1174 View Post
Relax all. Holzer is going to be a good stay at home defenceman that has some grit to his game. He can play in NHL today. You always need that on a team. Remember Aki Berg,Bob Rouse,Jamie McCowen
lol at Aki Berg as a good stay at home d man. I don't think the man's head could turn because he never had a clue where anyone in their zone was unless it was right in front of him

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:36 AM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2plus50equalsCup View Post
I understand that but pound for pound I think we would all agree that Schenn was the player with the higher upside. If both players were playing side by side I'd venture to guess Schenn would be the more valuable player.
I honestly don't understand why people get so obsessed over players based on their draft position. If Schenn was drafted in the 7th round people would hate the guy. Holzer is what Schenn should have been.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...841&highlight=

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Polk High

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
I honestly don't understand why people get so obsessed over players based on their draft position. If Schenn was drafted in the 7th round people would hate the guy. Holzer is what Schenn should have been.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...841&highlight=
I really don't care about draft position. Just a thought though, would Holmgren have traded us JVR for Holzer? Honestly, I hope Holzer becomes an essential part of this team as this would only help the Leafs.

Polk High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:21 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2plus50equalsCup View Post
I really don't care about draft position. Just a thought though, would Holmgren have traded us JVR for Holzer? Honestly, I hope Holzer becomes an essential part of this team as this would only help the Leafs.
I honestly don't even understand why Holmgren traded us JVR for Schenn in the first place, let alone answering if he would trade Holzer for JVR. Schenn was horrific last year. If I understood the metrics of how Holmgren rates his player then I could answer that question. Maybe he wanted to re-unite the brother...or maybe he himself was blinded by the shine of a 5th overall pick.

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:23 PM
BenchedGuy

I will put this here too for those interested. He was also on the Fan590 with Brady and Lang this morning. It's on their recent podcasts....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/podcasts/

Somewhat of a typical off-season interview. I liked hearing he was somewhat comparing the AHL to DEL (even though he was prompted that way).

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:26 PM
81Leafs50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Looking forward to seeing him play. We obviously have faith in him if we signed him to a 1-way contract.
one way just means that he gets an NHL salary in the AHL if he doesn't make it on the Leafs.

He can still be sent down.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:25 PM
nsleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I see no similarity between Kadri and Holzer.

One is always being touted as a top 6 forward, many pencil him into the 1st. line center position, without ever handling that spot in the minors.

One is being touted as a depth defender, at best 3rd. pairing guy replacing a departed 3rd. pairing guy, while he was key guy in the minors.

I have read almost nothing saying he's going to be a key player in the NHL, but 3rd. pairing guys are needed too.

I believe you may have taken my comment out of context. I was not comparing them as players. I was commenting about players being hyped up too much, creating lofty, unreasonable expectations. I believe this has occured with Kadri.

nsleaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:30 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
I got some of that Korbinian Holzer the other day, that sure is some good **** man

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:56 AM
Frelimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Square peg in a round hole in Wilson's pond hockey system a reason for that.

Another was he was also one of the youngest Leaf players with only Gardiner younger this past season, and "playing the kids" not something that is promoted in Toronto when a team is desperate to make the playoffs, as player development takes a secondary role in priorities.

Schenn began his NHL career at age 18 and has played over 300 NHL games to date, whereas Holzer will be cutting his teeth this year at age 24. That is a 6 year difference in NHL arrival date and expectations from Schenn to Holzer. So at age 24 Holzer will be physical & mentally more mature, as well as a wealth of more professional hockey experience making his adjustment and adaptation to NHL life an easier transition.

Holzer plays a very similar game style to Schenn, but not as physical. However under Carlyle, I expect Hozler to be sheltered by a better defense oriented system, and line matching that will see Korbinian up against the 3rd and 4th lines of other teams and well as 2nd pairing PK duties.
You realize the Leafs were one of the youngest teams in the league last year. If they were afraid of playing "the kids", they would have traded them for vets.

Frelimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:23 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelimo View Post
You realize the Leafs were one of the youngest teams in the league last year. If they were afraid of playing "the kids", they would have traded them for vets.
Which "kids" played regularly last year? Aside from Gardiner.

donkeyy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:17 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelimo View Post
Mess doesn't see much point to the AHL.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Deebo

Mess back to his let's "rush kids to the NHL, no matter if they are ready or not" nonsense.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Wendelstache

“No. 1, he’s a good skater and he sees the ice well,”

Sounds like a jib against Schenn. LOL

Loiselle is a master troll.

Wendelstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
We need to have perpetual roster turnover so we can ice players aged 18-22 every season.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:13 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
We need to have perpetual roster turnover so we can ice players aged 18-22 every season.
Of course! That way we can let all players go before they're finished their development because of course their primes are aged 22! After that they're all washed up and no good to us.

PLAY THE YOUTH!!!

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:13 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

actually that's exactly what we should do with the bottom of the roster - a constant revolving door of young, cheap talent.

that's the smart way to build a team.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Turk Broda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
I'm going to stick my neck out even further and say that he will have a big impact, and will be on the second pairing before you know it.
This. I could see him becoming our version of Niklas Kronwall (unlike our Staffan Kronwall).

Turk Broda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:09 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk Broda View Post
This. I could see him becoming our version of Niklas Kronwall (unlike our Staffan Kronwall).
His game isn't remotely close to Nicklas Kronwall. If he pans out to his full potential he'll likely be a Rob Scuderi type of player. Nothing flashy on the offense, but above average defensively.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote