HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where would suit Girgensons best 2012-13

Old
07-11-2012, 02:34 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
No, I'm disagreeing with the point.
How exactly are you doing that? The rest of your post basically backs my point and expands on what I'm actually arguing.

Quote:
It's like that everywhere.

Missing school at any level is either OK or not OK based on why you missed school.

I would understand why the NCAA would be OK with athletes missing class to represent their school in competition and not to miss weeks of school for what is essentially a weeks long job interview.

I doubt too many schools would be OK with a student missing weeks of school because they had a mini-internship with a company during a semester where they are supposed to be on campus.

Do you remember your intial response to this back and forth? Where you made a few smart ass comments about ZG having to be in class and thats why he can't go to camp.

I've argued that missing class isn't the issue. Its why he would be missing class that would be the issue. Since no NCAA school would allow it.

How is anything above a contradiction of my point? You're actually making my arguement.

Quote:
I know. That's why I said camp lasting 3+ weeks would be more than the two weeks worth of classes that a player misses due to travel
Expand your mind a bit and try and remember I'm talking about NCAA athletes in general and that many miss a decent amount of classes. I'm not just talking NCAA hockey players. Missing class is a fairly frequent occurance for players in big time basketball programsmn for example. Especially at the end of the season when their conference playoffs and post season tournaments come up. They miss far more than the 10 travel days your Clarkson player missed and the NCAA as well as the schools have no issue with it. So again missing class was never the issue. Its why he would miss class.

Plus getting a look at him in camp doesn't mean he will be their for the full camp.

EDIT: My intial post on this was about the fact that its pretty damn tough to decide whats best for him until they see him with the NHLers, AHLers and older prospects like they would in training camp. Something the rules wont allow.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-11-2012 at 02:44 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:44 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
How exactly are you doing that? The rest of your post basically backs my point and expands on what I'm actually arguing.
Not really.

You seem to have a problem with it and I think it's completely consistent with what every level of school does.

Quote:

Do you remember your intial response to this back and forth? Where you made a few smart ass comments about ZG having to be in class and thats why he can't go to camp.

I've argued that missing class isn't the issue. Its why he would be missing class that would be the issue. Since no NCAA school would allow it.

How is anything above a contradiction of my point? You're actually making my arguement.
And my point is that I don't see why the NCAA should allow him to attend camp.

You appeared to be trying to make that point and I don't agree with it.

Quote:
Expand your mind a bit and try and remember I'm talking about NCAA athletes in general and that many miss a decent amount of classes. I'm not just talking NCAA hockey players. Missing class is a fairly frequent occurance for players in big time basketball programsmn for example. Especially at the end of the season when their conference playoffs and post season tournaments come up. They miss far more than the 10 travel days your Clarkson player missed.

Plus getting a look at him in camp isn't likely to be the full camp.
If you can't see the difference in missing class time to represent the university and missing it for an off-site job interview, well.......

Open your mind and take athletics out of this.

Would a university be OK with any normal freshman student missing weeks of their first semester at school for an off-site job interview that could cause them to drop out if things go well?

Not bloody likely.

I don't see why a future professional athlete should get a pass like that regardless of how much time other athletes miss due to competition.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:05 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Not really.

You seem to have a problem with it and I think it's completely consistent with what every level of school does.
Nope.

Quote:
And my point is that I don't see why the NCAA should allow him to attend camp.

You appeared to be trying to make that point and I don't agree with it.
Again nope.

Quote:
If you can't see the difference in missing class time to represent the university and missing it for an off-site job interview, well.......

Open your mind and take athletics out of this.

Would a university be OK with any normal freshman student missing weeks of their first semester at school for an off-site job interview that could cause them to drop out if things go well?

Not bloody likely.

I don't see why a future professional athlete should get a pass like that regardless of how much time other athletes miss due to competition.
Of course I can see the difference.

I now realize your entire beef with my "opinion" was based on false assumptions.

My intial post on this was about the fact that I think its pretty damn tough to decide whats best for him until they see him up against NHLers, AHLers and older prospects like he would be in training camp. Something the rules wont allow. So my first post stated it sucks he can't be in training camp.

Nothing more, nothing less was intended with that post.

As for my back and forth after that. I was arguing a simple counterpoint to your smart ass retort about him having to be in class when camp started. I even said multiple times its why he would be missing class not the actual act of missing class thats the problem. I was never arguing against the policy itself or why it exists.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-11-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old
07-11-2012, 03:30 PM
joshjull

Could the whole AHL thing be the Sabres way of getting a longer look at him while still having juniors as a fall back option?

Old
07-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
IMO the best place for his development would be Kelowna or any WHL team he'd be willing to report to if Kelowna would be willing to trade his rights.
Vermont is significantly less appealing than Kelowna for me but I'd be fine with it because at least he'd be playing somewhere he belongs.
If he were to play in the CHL would the agreement prohibiting players under age 20 from playing in the AHL apply to him? I remember Dmitri Kalinin was allowed to leave his CHL team after a year and play in the AHL as a 19 year old because the CHL agreement only applied to players drafted out of the CHL.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
If he were to play in the CHL would the agreement prohibiting players under age 20 from playing in the AHL apply to him? I remember Dmitri Kalinin was allowed to leave his CHL team after a year and play in the AHL as a 19 year old because the CHL agreement only applied to players drafted out of the CHL.
Nope, he could join the AHL next season since he wasn't drafted out of the CHL.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:13 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
John Carlson was drafted out of the USHL, then went to London for 1 season before going to the AHL. Washington/Hershey did let him play in the WJC that year too.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Yeah, it's just a drafted out of CHL agreement. He could go WHL, then AHL at 19 without violating their league-to-league agreement.

07-12-2012, 07:54 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
"I think he's physically ready" - Ruff on Girgensons #Sabres

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:55 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
"I think he's physically ready" - Ruff on Girgensons #Sabres
Sounds like Regier and Ruff want him and its all up to Girgensons.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 07:58 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Sounds like Regier and Ruff want him and its all up to Girgensons.
@BillHoppeNHL
‪#Sabres‬ sounds like Zemgus Girgensons might decide as soon as tomorrow.

Guess we'll know soon

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:04 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
@BillHoppeNHL
‪#Sabres‬ sounds like Zemgus Girgensons might decide as soon as tomorrow.

Guess we'll know soon

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:06 PM
CaptPantalones

After watching him for 2 days, hes Amerk ready for sure

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:09 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Would be a real treat if we landed a sleeper stud in this kid. I like everything I hear about him.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Sounds like he's ready for the AHL. Ruff alluded to as much after the scrimmage. I hope they encourage him to turn pro because he'd be an asset in Rochester...and he'd also be available for the big club as needed. He could conceivably go to Rochester, get an injury call-up, and stick with the club. If that's not incentive to spurn Vermont, I don't know what is...

And if Grigs ends up going back to the Q, then it's all the more important to have Girgs 60 minutes down the Thruway.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:11 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
After watching him for 2 days, hes Amerk ready for sure
Sabres ready? Pssst, we still need a third line center.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:17 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Don't know if this was posted, but a good pre-draft write up on the kid in USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ons/55722836/1

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
24 hours. Sounds like we'll know more tomorrow.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:12 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

He looked like a man out there amongst boys. Him and Foligno looked like the most physical players out there. He Definitely is AHL maybe even NHL ready.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:16 PM
sabrefan27

We'll see what happens, but people read way too much into his age. Just reading through this thread. It's all about how far along he is physically and mentally. Clearly the skills are there. Ruff thinks he's ready. His junior coach thinks he's ready. Those are the people that know a little better than some posters on HFBoards, no offense to anyone.

I don't think he can go wrong either way, but the AHL would probably be better for his development. But he may honor his agreement with Vermont.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
We'll see what happens, but people read way too much into his age. Just reading through this thread. It's all about how far along he is physically and mentally. Clearly the skills are there. Ruff thinks he's ready. His junior coach thinks he's ready. Those are the people that know a little better than some posters on HFBoards, no offense to anyone.

I don't think he can go wrong either way, but the AHL would probably be better for his development. But he may honor his agreement with Vermont.
I agree, the kid is well beyond his age in terms of mental and physical acuity.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:15 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Well, this isn't so surprising. After all, he is 27 years old

j/k

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:24 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Well, this isn't so surprising. After all, he is 27 years old

j/k
That's Grigorenko. Girgensons is Latvian...and they keep perfect records.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:31 PM
jfb392

Make the right decision and don't listen to what the organization is feeding you, please.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Make the right decision and don't listen to what the organization is feeding you, please.
You think the organization wouldn't be looking out for what they think is Z's best interests?

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote