HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anaheim Ducks prospect ranking #3

View Poll Results: 3rd best prospect is...?
Frederik Andersen 1 1.61%
Matt Clark 0 0%
Emerson Etem 39 62.90%
Max Friberg 0 0%
John Gibson 0 0%
Peter Holland 10 16.13%
William Karlsson 0 0%
Nicolas Kerdiles 0 0%
Hampus Lindholm 9 14.52%
Rikard Rakell 1 1.61%
Devante Smith-Pelly 2 3.23%
Chris Wagner 0 0%
Andy Welinski 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2012, 06:12 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 50
Anaheim Ducks prospect ranking #3

Ranking so far
1. Kyle Palmieri 37.04%
2. Sami Vatanen 41.38% (original poll) 50.63% (tiebreaker)

I added Andersen, Friberg and Karlsson to this poll. Anyone important still missing?

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:17 AM
JabbaJabba

Voted Etem again. I still feel like he's better prospect than Sami because his chances of succeeding are better while both have huge potentials IMO. But it's all good.

Old
07-11-2012, 06:28 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

vCash: 500
Happy about Sami. Well deserved!

Again going with Etem.

Next up for me is Peter Holland. Closer to NHL than Etem, imo, but not so sure about his ceiling.

Dunno about adding JabbaJabba. For now you could just add one at the time.

Roy could be good addition, since at least i vote more for their ceiling, and less for their NHL readyness.

So i vote Roy to add. Cramarossa, O`Bryan after that.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:44 AM
JabbaJabba

I'm just thinking if I have forgotten some guy who could be in the top 10. I might not add anyone for awhile so that the poll doesn't get too crowded. Or should Maroon be added next since he's quite close to NHL and was a beast in AHL?

Old
07-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
I'm just thinking if I have forgotten some guy who could be in the top 10. I might not add anyone for awhile so that the poll doesn't get too crowded. Or should Maroon be added next since he's quite close to NHL and was a beast in AHL?
Maroon is a good candidate to add.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Do we even add him?

He`s 24 already.
If we look at him as a prospect then yes, we should add him next

Old
07-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Bodacious Wits
Porkins the White

Etem. I have very high hopes for him. He just hasn't proven as much as Vatanen.

Bodacious Wits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:08 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Do we even add him?

He`s 24 already.
If we look at him as a prospect then yes, we should add him next
Maroon has only played two NHL games so I think he still counts as a prospect (even though he's pretty old). But on the other hand Ryan Lasch hasn't played any NHL games...

Old
07-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Lasch is 25 - year older.
But ok, lets count Maroon in

Old
07-11-2012, 08:48 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Easily Etem for me. Probably the only forward with top line potential, but could become a mediocre Cogliano-type as well.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Easily Etem for me. Probably the only forward with top line potential, but could become a mediocre Cogliano-type as well.
This!

Old
07-11-2012, 09:13 AM
airforceones25

So if I understand this correctly... Emerson Etem who questionably had the best season of any of our prospects this past year and was voted #1 last year in our polls managed to drop in fans rankings? Interesting.....

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Not that he dropped.

Vatanen had amazing season to - he have been dominating mens league for 2 years now.
He was defenseman of the year 2 years in a row there (?)

Palmieri played 18 games in NHL, and since a lot are voting for ''readyness'', thats why he was 1st. Even though in my list he`s 3d/4th.

So others rised more quickly, i guess.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:07 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
So if I understand this correctly... Emerson Etem who questionably had the best season of any of our prospects this past year and was voted #1 last year in our polls managed to drop in fans rankings? Interesting.....
Palmieri had a very good season in a better league and he's so close to being an NHL player. His upside might not be as huge as Etem's but he's closer to it.

Old
07-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Palmieri was nearly at a GPG pace in the AHL for a very long time and would have likely been far closer to a GPG pace at the end of the season had he been kept down the whole season. It's not a stretch at all to say Palmieri had a more impressive season, compared to Etem's. I think people really sell his goal scoring ability short.

Anyways, voted Lindholm. His potential to be an all around #1 D trumps Etem's potential of 40 goal 2 way winger IMO. Not to mention I think he has far less bust potential. I don't think Etem will be a total bust, since I believe he has the tools to be a good defensive forward who can chip in 10 goals a season, at the very least, but Lindholm's package leads to a much smaller dropoff from top end potential IMO.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Carelton CA

Voting Process is toooooo slow

#1 Palmieri - Has proven to be a top goal scorer at every level playing against bigger, stronger, faster competition always. Taking a regular shift on the top line he will put up 30 every year.

#2 Vatanen- By far the best skills of any D man in the system. Look at what Karlsson did in Ottawa this year as a very under sized d man. This kid could be next to jump on the scene in the NHL. Clear second.

#3 Peter Holland- Big body with great skills. He is a #1 or #2 center and with Koivu coming back it's unclear whether Bonino or Holland get's this spot. Holland has the most upside here, especially after a successful season in Syracuse.

#4 Emerson Etem- Until Emerson puts a full season in against guys his size that can match his skill and speed I think he needs to be at 4. He has the tools for sure, but he hasn't done what Holland did last year. For that reason he is 4 until at least the quarter poll of the season. One thing is for sure, he will get his shot in Anaheim at some point based on the roster as it is currently assembled.

#5 Hampus Lindholm- It may take him a while to adjust to the NHL game but there is no doubt this kid can fly. He will be a quality defenseman in the league for a number of years. He only falls in at 5 because of the top end talent that the Ducks currently have at forward. I was tempted to put him ahead of Emerson but he doesn't have the potential to make as big an impact as a potential star like Etem.

#6 Chris Wagner- We give way to much credit to the CHL and not enough credit to the NCAA where players are much bigger and stronger. We just don't hear as much about NCAA kids(other than Schultz) out here. As Andrew Knoll wrote, he has Koivu potential, he can be a key player for the Ducks in the future. There's a reason the Ducks went after him after 2 years in school like they went at Palmieri the year before at ND. Great speed and hands who can make plays and is defensively sound and is gritty.

#7 John Gibson- Only reason he is this low is because he is a goalie and only one or two goalies in an org can make a difference. I think he is tremendous, there is no doubting him based on his numbers and everything I've read. The Ducks right now (especially after the Anderson signing today) have some very good goalie prospects. He rates high among them, but will he ever be the guy. I hope so.

#8 DSP- I know! He played 40 plus games last year and he played well. But on this list I'm looking 2 or 3 years down the line and as far as impact goes, I'm not sure his will be any bigger than the guys above him on this list. I don't see him being a top 2 line guy so a 3rd or 4th line guy is not really a top prospect in my eyes. Hope he proves my wrong.

#8 Max Friberg- Skilled goal scorer on the left wing but still small. Will have to be a top two line guy should he continue to improve. Had a tremendous WJC and was lights out, but that is against 19 year olds. When he went back home his season was under whelming. If he is put in a position to succeed on the top line I think he will succeed. But not sure he'll be ready for that work load in the next couple of years.

#9 Rik Rakell- a more flexible player who plays a solid two way game and has very good speed. He was the youngest player in the World Championships 2 years ago so the competition wont be an adjustment at the NHL level.

#10 Nic Kerdiles- Very young but very good. Still 3 years away at a minimum. I think he does 2 years at Wisconsin and is signed by the time he's 20. Body is pro size, I expect he has an adjustment period this year in the college game and then breaks out next year as he gets even stronger. Tremendous character kid who represents the Socal area well. Looks like he could be a top 6 guy bottom 6 guy. I'm excited to watch him this year, I wish the college guys could come to training camp just so he could get that experience.

Carelton CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:15 PM
airforceones25

Wagner at 6? I'm not sure I can take your list serious.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Wagner at 6? I'm not sure I can take your list serious.
Not sure if i can take your list serious.

Wagner have great 2 way center potential, nothing surprising he`snear the top 5 in some lists. He almost tripled his point totals last season. Wins FO`s, hits, etc.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Vaakou

I would vote Holland...

Vaakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:41 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

Etem
Holland
Vatanen
Lindholm
Rakell
Welinski

DuckshaveaRPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:30 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Voted Etem. Shocking results so far.

Kevin Roy should be in there at some point.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar Strokes View Post
Palmieri was nearly at a GPG pace in the AHL for a very long time and would have likely been far closer to a GPG pace at the end of the season had he been kept down the whole season. It's not a stretch at all to say Palmieri had a more impressive season, compared to Etem's. I think people really sell his goal scoring ability short.

Anyways, voted Lindholm. His potential to be an all around #1 D trumps Etem's potential of 40 goal 2 way winger IMO. Not to mention I think he has far less bust potential. I don't think Etem will be a total bust, since I believe he has the tools to be a good defensive forward who can chip in 10 goals a season, at the very least, but Lindholm's package leads to a much smaller dropoff from top end potential IMO.
I feel pretty much the same way and agree with the both paragraphs.

A lot of users seem to give a lot of consideration to "readiness" when ranking our prospects, which I don't consider too sensible. Sure, when it comes to similar guys, it's always better to already have made a step someone else yet has to make successfully, but it's not really a primary concern in the evaluation. Like in an actual draft, high end upside trumps readiness. Which is why I think Lindholm could have easily been considered our number 1 prospect. I understand some of the hesitation, with him only having had one short stint with the club, but that doesn't really matter. I think it's fair to say there's #1D potential there. I think it's no shot at Etem to consider Lindholm a better shot at a #1D than Etem for a top-line go-to winger, (even) at this point.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post

A lot of users seem to give a lot of consideration to "readiness" when ranking our prospects, which I don't consider too sensible. Sure, when it comes to similar guys, it's always better to already have made a step someone else yet has to make successfully, but it's not really a primary concern in the evaluation. Like in an actual draft, high end upside trumps readiness. Which is why I think Lindholm could have easily been considered our number 1 prospect. I understand some of the hesitation, with him only having had one short stint with the club, but that doesn't really matter. I think it's fair to say there's #1D potential there. I think it's no shot at Etem to consider Lindholm a better shot at a #1D than Etem for a top-line go-to winger, (even) at this point.
Completely agree. As someone in a different thread stated, hesitation with Lindholm probably stems from lack of exposure. Not only did he play in a league where most of us weren't able to view him, he was such a late riser that he received a very limited amount of hype. I think if we had drafted Dumba, more people would be a proponent of ranking him in the top 3, simply because they've heard a lot about him.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

People getting bent out of shape over comparing players absolutely nobody on this board has seen enough of to fairly compare to each other is good theater.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:33 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post

For my rankings, I don't use "readiness" but I do use "bust factor." Bust factor is combined with my thoughts on a prospect's upside, downside, and the "likely potential."

Readiness and bust factor are typically pretty closely related. For example, Palmieri is more ready. But he also has less bust factor because he's grown and proven more at higher levels, meaning he has less to improve to make his upside.

There's guys who I don't like for whatever reason (bad work ethic etc) that adjust bust factor.

With Hampus, I don't rate him that high because a) he's very raw (high bust factor) and b) I'm not even that convinced of his high-end skills. People are saying possible #1 high end? I'm thinking more like #2-3 high end. But there's very little to say either way.

Holland I rate quite low because a) I think his skill level is overrated and b) really not liking the mental question marks.

Etem is still pretty raw, and I still question his vision and ability to play with others. But the bust factor is lowered by his great work-ethic and character. Also I don't think he has too low of a downside because he could bust into a Cogliano type.

Vatanen has bust factor with the size and general riskiness of that type of prospect. Boom or bust (small, not translatable offensive defensemen tend to not be NHL players at all).

Reposting my list from before and adding Wagner who I had forgotten:
Palmieri
Etem
Vatanen
Gibson
(Schultz)
Lindholm
Holland
DSP
Rakell
Kerdiles
Karlsson