HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Bickley encouraging Shane Doan to leave Phoenix

Old
07-11-2012, 03:40 PM
kihekah19

vCash: 500
The poetic princess is just doing what he does and it's working. The national attention and this very fodder (here) is proof.

It doesn't matter if he knows anything about the game or not.... which is a real shame.

Last edited by kihekah19: 07-11-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: sp
kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:48 PM
BigGumby

The only experience I have with Bickley is following the end of the WCF, he was complaining about the Coyotes inability to capitalize on their opportunities, then transitioned into Hanzal's penalty when we were 5v3 and he said it was the dumbest penalty he had ever seen and said if Hanzal hadn't retaliated the Coyotes would have gotten a 5v2...

Once I heard him say that, I couldn't change the station fast enough and knew he had no clue what he was talking about.

BigGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:06 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGumby View Post
The only experience I have with Bickley is following the end of the WCF, he was complaining about the Coyotes inability to capitalize on their opportunities, then transitioned into Hanzal's penalty when we were 5v3 and he said it was the dumbest penalty he had ever seen and said if Hanzal hadn't retaliated the Coyotes would have gotten a 5v2...

Once I heard him say that, I couldn't change the station fast enough and knew he had no clue what he was talking about.
The ol' 5 on 2 eh?

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:41 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
The ol' 5 on 2 eh?

He's a bum. We lose decent sports guys like Steve Schoenfeld and Steve Pascente and writers like know-nothing Dan Bickley still roam the deserts...

5 on 2... sheesh. What an idjit.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

To be honest, I think writers who are (indirectly) employed by the teams they are covering should be fans of those teams. I'm a Coyote die-hard, but if I was hired to write for the Kings tomorrow, I would be a Kings guy first.

I'm not saying they should compromise their objectivity. I felt like one of the few who had no problem with Sarah McC picking the Coyotes to lose against Nashville. I don't really care much for her rampant Edmonton love. "That's how E-town do." ****ing Christ dude.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

This article points to one of the main reasons Phoenix is a joke of a hockey market...lack of local media who care about:

- the game of hockey
- the Phoenix Coyotes
- the Phoenix hockey market

They write articles or talk about hockey on TV, but primarily only to try and make names for themselves. It's the main reason why the last 10 years of local media coverage has been 5% hockey, and 95% made up of: The Gretzky/Tocchet Gambling story, ownership fiasco, GWI, Wheeler, Turris, Doan Free Agency.

It's time this town implements some sort of strategy to employ media with local ties to the valley, instead of midwest/east transplants who come here for the weather, and try to make a bigger name for themselves at the expense of local teams, local fans, and the local sports market. We need a Jim Cummins/Greg Adams/Roenick type who can preach the game of hockey AND help develop the sport of hockey amongst an NBA/NFL sports market.

Ironically the biggest friend to the Coyotes is Roc from Philly, which goes to show that it is possible for someone with no ties to the area to support the Coyotes. But as a whole it's not a good strategy to hire outsiders to develop a local sports culture to support the local sports infrastructure

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:13 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Not only that but it's just plain lazy. You've got probably the most transparent, accessible, candid organization there is and yet they feel the need to negative speculate and bash. It can't really be that hard to get the facts and gain a better understanding. Has anyone here ever seen a more honest, personable, accessible general manager than Don Maloney? In any sport?

I swear the media has become so ****ing lazy. I dont even know what they get paid for. I hope none of them actually make much. You don't even have to do any of your own research anymore. There's an entire world wide web full of people willing to do all of your research for you, complete with verified sources, and just email you the news. Slap your own name in it and print it. What kind of a job is that?

They should hire ex police detectives to do reporting instead. They have actually worked hard in their life and know what a work ethic is, they have a whole writing career to draw from, anymore they've got to have a bachelors degree anyhow, and most of them actually like their local sports teams.

07-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I swear the media has become so ****ing lazy. I dont even know what they get paid for.
Selling sex in some way shape or form to the public and the idea that people who fit the image of sexy in todays society someone know what they are talking about.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 07-12-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:53 PM
PhoPhan

What on earth.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
What on earth.
Haha. I guess somebody likes blondes?

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Well not every signle person in the media is flaunting their looks but sex does sell in todays world. Did you see who Ann's replacement from the Today show is for example?

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 07-12-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old
07-12-2012, 01:05 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Well not every signle person in the media is flaunting their looks but sex does sell in todays world. Did you see who Ann's replacement from the Today show is for example?
No wonder O'Reilly and Limbaugh have such huge followings. They're both 10s.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
No wonder O'Reilly and Limbaugh have such huge followings. They're both 10s.
Rush is more on the radio(though he did lose weight) and Bill isn't overweight. There are exceptions but there is no question that in the media today that how a person looks matters more when getting a job that requires you to be in the public eye.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:16 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Rush is more on the radio(though he did lose weight) and Bill isn't overweight. There are exceptions but there is no question that in the media today that how a person looks matters more when getting a job that requires you to be in the public eye.
A) That's not a "today" thing. It's inherent in any visual medium.
B) Doesn't Bickley work exclusively in radio and print?

Anyway, I'm not really sure what relevance your "sex sells" platitude has here.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:

Good point and yes Bickley does however a photo of himself online even at AzCentral and lots of women around the valley find him attractive.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Everybody wants everything to be attractive. It's completely natural and has always been that way. An attractive person on television is no different than attractive set or attractive theme music or attractive clothes. We buy nice televisions and pay for HD because we want things to look good, look nice. It's not sex. Sex appeal is completely different from nice looking.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:

I was just answering his question. If anything, what I should have said was the media today is more about apperence than substance though you made a great point as well.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:25 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
I was just answering his question. If anything, what I should have said was the media today is more about apperence than substance though you made a great point as well.
Still not sure what you're trying to communicate here. Are you saying that Dan Bickley is too sexy or that he's not sexy enough?

Old
07-12-2012, 01:28 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Good point and yes Bickley does however a photo of himself online even at AzCentral and lots of women around the valley find him attractive.
No way! He is NOT attractive at all.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Still not sure what you're trying to communicate here. Are you saying that Dan Bickley is too sexy or that he's not sexy enough?
Bickey should focus more with writing a good article and less about promoting his image since the photo qualites of himself have improved but not his actual skills as displayed in his recent article.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 07-12-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old
07-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Everybody wants everything to be attractive. It's completely natural and has always been that way. An attractive person on television is no different than attractive set or attractive theme music or attractive clothes. We buy nice televisions and pay for HD because we want things to look good, look nice. It's not sex. Sex appeal is completely different from nice looking.
Of course but beauty is within the eye of the beholder even though there is the idea of what should be accepted as hot or not often forced upon the public. That idea is that a person is not attracive if they don't have that sex appeal and those who have sex appeal are those who are in shape.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 07-12-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old
07-12-2012, 01:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

And I thought my absurd police suggestion was going to be the most bizarre addition to this conversation. Haha.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:47 PM
drgregg

Quote:
And I thought my absurd police suggestion was going to be the most bizarre addition to this conversation. Haha.
I have hardly been able to breathe, I have been laughing so hard reading this page of dialogue, maybe I'm just in a giddy mood.

drgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:29 PM
PPD7952

Send a message via AIM to PPD7952 Send a message via MSN to PPD7952 Send a message via Yahoo to PPD7952
Quote:
Bickley has a disproportionately small head. Looks really odd. I met him at a house party. He's the Anti-Vanna White

PPD7952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Not only that but it's just plain lazy. You've got probably the most transparent, accessible, candid organization there is and yet they feel the need to negative speculate and bash. It can't really be that hard to get the facts and gain a better understanding. Has anyone here ever seen a more honest, personable, accessible general manager than Don Maloney? In any sport?

I swear the media has become so ****ing lazy. I dont even know what they get paid for. I hope none of them actually make much. You don't even have to do any of your own research anymore. There's an entire world wide web full of people willing to do all of your research for you, complete with verified sources, and just email you the news. Slap your own name in it and print it. What kind of a job is that?

They should hire ex police detectives to do reporting instead. They have actually worked hard in their life and know what a work ethic is, they have a whole writing career to draw from, anymore they've got to have a bachelors degree anyhow, and most of them actually like their local sports teams.
Oh, but what about all of the exciting player quotes they get? Who is going to tell me that the plan tonight is "To play our game and get 2 points"?

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote