HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some good news: John Tavares on July 4th

Old
07-11-2012, 09:53 AM
13th Floor

vCash: 500
Some good news: John Tavares on July 4th

A little posting from Skates on a Plane about what John Tavares did on July 4th: http://skatesonaplane.tumblr.com/

This guy is easily the best thing to happen to this team in a couple decades.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:58 AM
seafoam

vCash: 50
He's the man. That is all.

Edit: He's not American

Last edited by seafoam: 07-11-2012 at 10:09 AM.
seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
A little posting from Skates on a Plane about what John Tavares did on July 4th: http://skatesonaplane.tumblr.com/

This guy is easily the best thing to happen to this team in a couple decades.
Sounds like a PR stunt. I am almost certain he did not think of these letters or a second meet and greet

Fantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:32 AM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Sounds like a PR stunt. I am almost certain he did not think of these letters or a second meet and greet
This. Considering it is an Islander blogger. Either way, He gets it. He wants to make the fans happy. He can't open his wallet and and sign big name UFAs but if he could, he probably would. Tavares is an Islander and one who wants to win. He can't show up at all of our doors and tell us that himself. He will do what he can.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Tavares is great!!!

07-11-2012, 10:57 AM
19 in a row

I got one of these letters yesterday. I thought it was great. My son immediately asked if he could have it because of the signature. Stating the obvious when I say that this guy is the best thing to happen to this team in a long time.

Whether he thought of it or not, the fact that he sat and signed hundreds of these letters can only be seen as a positive and another confirmation of this guys character (I can think of plenty of athletes who would likely have balked at doing it.). He is going to make a trip in for two meet and greets because he got stuck in Toronto on draft day and couldn't hand out signed jersey's. Just making good on his promise. He is the real deal.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:11 AM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
He's the man. That is all.

Edit: He's not American
Man I am stupid. For some reason I read BBQ and went to July 4th.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:26 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
who gives a flying **** as to whether or not it was his idea?! he's still doing it!!! i tell ya, some of you people here...

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
who gives a flying **** as to whether or not it was his idea?! he's still doing it!!! i tell ya, some of you people here...

omg someone has there point of view opposite of yours. what ever shall you do.

Fantom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:49 PM
John TavArt Ross

Scroll down in article....HOLY HIGH SHORTS!

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:18 PM
StrongIslanders90

He is whats going to lead us back to respectablity...He really did not have to do that....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:07 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Kid's all class, all the time.

Having Tavares as an Islander is like dating a girl that's way out of your league.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Pnut

Quote:
omg someone has there point of view opposite of yours. what ever shall you do.
I can't speak for islandermaniac but
I am sure its not that people have different opinions, even polar opposite opinions, it is just the attitude that is always taken.
Even a but of positive news like Tavares signing and giving Jerseys away to ST holders is spun into a thought like "this franchise stinks!" or "this is a PR stunt!"
This almost comes off as a smug have to twist anything that happens to this franchise as a negative.

It really has nothing to do with disagreement (heck this is a message board, a place where disagreements come about naturally )or that there is 2 sides to a story or opinion.

The Isles could win the cup and some here would say things like
"Matt Martin should have gotten PP time because he scored 3 goals in the last 2 winning games" or
"I still wish we had a real owner" or
"It took Wang long enough" or
"Or buildings still a dump and no one wants to play here, even though we just won!"

It just gets predictable the kind of methods posters here use to twist ANYTHING into a negative. That goes WAY beyond a normal disagreement between folks and begins and ends in between certain peoples ears here.

Sorry I just needed to say that.

Oh and plus we have a Official Sky Is Falling Thread which is now falling down our main page.

edit: Oh yeah and JT is the MAN! Boom Shakka Lakka!

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:45 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
He is whats going to lead us back to respectablity...He really did not have to do that....
Yep. Pnut summed it up as well.

Tavares is almost trying to will this pathetic franchise back to respectability. PR stunt or not he could say "**** off, I was stuck on an airplane. I don't have to sign anything."

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:09 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
I am sure its not that people have different opinions, even polar opposite opinions, it is just the attitude that is always taken.
Even a but of positive news like Tavares signing and giving Jerseys away to ST holders is spun into a thought like "this franchise stinks!" or "this is a PR stunt!"
This almost comes off as a smug have to twist anything that happens to this franchise as a negative.

It really has nothing to do with disagreement (heck this is a message board, a place where disagreements come about naturally )or that there is 2 sides to a story or opinion.

"Matt Martin should have gotten PP time because he scored 3 goals in the last 2 winning games" or
"Or buildings still a dump and no one wants to play here, even though we just won!"

It just gets predictable the kind of methods posters here use to twist ANYTHING into a negative. That goes WAY beyond a normal disagreement between folks and begins and ends in between certain peoples ears here.

Oh and plus we have a Official Sky Is Falling Thread which is now falling down our main page.

edit: Oh yeah and JT is the MAN! Boom Shakka Lakka!
I just think the blog entry was staged. The questions and even JT's answers seemed staged for "PR" reasons. But that has nothing to do with the fact this was his idea or not. I still am proud he CHOSE to do that and I agree that he didn't have to. He has done other things that I have posted about and feel his decisions are genuine. This is no different. It's the Islanders in this case that just try to sell him and it's obvious. But the core of this gesture has JT written all over it. I love the guy, in the most hetero of ways. I don't want to derail this thread because we need all the positives we can get.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:53 PM
JeffNYI

How anyone can have a problem with this is beyond me. Having worked in sports and bla bla bla, let me just set a few things straight:

YES, the PR PEOPLE "stage" events involving the players, including the franchise player.

AND YES, the TICKETING DEPARTMENT "stages" opportunities involving the players to help them sell tickets.

AND YES, WHOEVERS IN CHARGE OF MERCH "stages" things involving players to help them sell apparel and other items, too.

It's part of the business. The players have to promote the team both to its customers and to the community. It's perfectly normal.

JT reaching out to people in writing, on team letter head, will always go through the PR dept - not that JT can't write but they pay those people to make sure the players look professional in cases like this - but everything we know about JT tells me that he'd immediately say yes to a request that he help reach out to specific ticket holders who were looking forward to meeting him but couldn't because of the flight issue.

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:13 PM
JTforPres2012

<333

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 07:45 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post

yup!

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:41 PM
LetsGoIslanders

It's still a nice thing of him to do. He's under no obligation to do such things in the off-season. The CBA mandates such player participation during the season, not the off-season. He could essentially tell the Isles to shove their request that he do this. He didn't though, and he seems like a genuinely good guy.

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote