HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Komisarek, bounce back year?

Old
07-11-2012, 09:19 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 500
Sure, the physical tools are there, unfortunately, mental awareness isn't.

He couldn't do worse, so he has that working for him (I guess), but he won't ever be as highly touted as he was in Montreal. He's missing a Markov-type to play with.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:19 PM
ironrhcp

bounce back??? bounce back to what, the guys a joke and only the leafs would be paying him 4m+

ironrhcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironrhcp View Post
bounce back??? bounce back to what, the guys a joke and only the leafs would be paying him 4m+
Komi's agent must be really good.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:23 PM
DeceiverOfTheGods
HFBoards Sponsor

I actually have complete faith in him. I think he's a perfectly good #4 defenceman, but has been used the wrong way under Wilson. The price tag makes people expect more of him, but I think he plays much better under Carlyle. Would love to see him played with John-Michael Liles this season on second pair, so Phaneuf/Gunnar can run top pair, and Holzer/Gardiner can run bottom pair. I wouldn't be surprised to see Franson traded in a package.

So who is our #7 defenceman? I'm going to go out on a limb and throw out the name of Simon Gysbers. The dude is the essence of consistency in the AHL, and I think he's be a great #7 guy.

DeceiverOfTheGods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:38 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalPhoenix View Post
I actually have complete faith in him. I think he's a perfectly good #4 defenceman, but has been used the wrong way under Wilson. The price tag makes people expect more of him, but I think he plays much better under Carlyle. Would love to see him played with John-Michael Liles this season on second pair, so Phaneuf/Gunnar can run top pair, and Holzer/Gardiner can run bottom pair. I wouldn't be surprised to see Franson traded in a package.

So who is our #7 defenceman? I'm going to go out on a limb and throw out the name of Simon Gysbers. The dude is the essence of consistency in the AHL, and I think he's be a great #7 guy.
I think this is where the Leafs really begin to run into trouble.

Relying on Komisarek / Liles to be a good 2nd pair is asking for disappointment, because that's all they're really capable of being. With Gardiner coming off the year he had and how his ego's been stoked since the end of the season, a sophmore slump is something you've gotta consider as a legitimate possibility.

Holzer has all of 2 games NHL experience. That's fine for a #7 guy, not a #6 that may have to end up playing like a #5 (because Liles/Komisarek/Gardiner may not be good enough). Furthermore, what happens when you lose 1 or 2 defencemen to injuries? 82 games is a long season and it does happen. Are you really going to ice a team that has Gardiner/Holzer/Blacker/Gysbers all at the same time?

To me, it seems like Franson doesn't want to be here, but I don't think the move is trading him outright. Toronto has $12m in space right now. Kulemin will be lucky to get $2.5m. We've got a couple of extra forwards (like Lombardi) who we simply don't have space for.

If you're not going to stick with Franson, I think you trade him in addition to a guy like Lombardi (or MacArthur) and you pick up a versatile top 4 defenceman that forces Holzer to the #7 spot. Even as a #7 defenceman, he'll end up playing upwards of 50-60 games simply because of injuries. A #1 centre doesn't seem like it's going to be made available. There really isn't much room for improvement on the wings. There's more than enough money to acquire a goalie. Might as well invest it on the blueline.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

I think its possible, I don't think any defensive defensemen would look good under Ron Wilson's all out offense.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:22 PM
thecatch22

Markov made him look good. End of story. Hopefully his minutes are consolidated like last year and Franson and Holzer can take the 5/6 spot (I assume Gunnar/Phaneuf/Gardiner/Liles top 4).

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:24 PM
SteveV*

Considering he hasn't played well in years, "bounce back" is an odd question?

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:29 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
I think its possible, I don't think any defensive defensemen would look good under Ron Wilson's all out offense.
I'm not sure but did you watch the 2010 olympic usa team

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Al14

Can we change the title to:

Mike Komisarek, bounce OUT year.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:32 PM
DeceiverOfTheGods
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post

Relying on Komisarek / Liles to be a good 2nd pair is asking for disappointment, because that's all they're really capable of being. With Gardiner coming off the year he had and how his ego's been stoked since the end of the season, a sophmore slump is something you've gotta consider as a legitimate possibility.

Holzer has all of 2 games NHL experience. That's fine for a #7 guy, not a #6 that may have to end up playing like a #5 (because Liles/Komisarek/Gardiner may not be good enough). Furthermore, what happens when you lose 1 or 2 defencemen to injuries? 82 games is a long season and it does happen. Are you really going to ice a team that has Gardiner/Holzer/Blacker/Gysbers all at the same time?

To me, it seems like Franson doesn't want to be here, but I don't think the move is trading him outright. Toronto has $12m in space right now. Kulemin will be lucky to get $2.5m. We've got a couple of extra forwards (like Lombardi) who we simply don't have space for.

If you're not going to stick with Franson, I think you trade him in addition to a guy like Lombardi (or MacArthur) and you pick up a versatile top 4 defenceman that forces Holzer to the #7 spot. Even as a #7 defenceman, he'll end up playing upwards of 50-60 games simply because of injuries. A #1 centre doesn't seem like it's going to be made available. There really isn't much room for improvement on the wings. There's more than enough money to acquire a goalie. Might as well invest it on the blueline.
In my opinion, Komisarek can be a solid defenceman if he's paired with a guy who can move the pick, which Liles can do. Liles is no Markov, but Markov was a #1 guy, and Liles is a #3 guys, and the pressure isn't the same.

Gardiner on bottom pairing gives room to develop without a ton of pressure, but if needed, he can take Komi's spot... that means a bottom pairing of Komi and Holzer. Lots of size and shutdown abilitiy.

As far as Franson, I think he wants top 4 minutes but he doesn't find a spot off the cuff. He'll have to sign a contract, and hope he finds a spot early on without guarantee. He clearly doesn't want this, so he's the leading candidate to move. Top 4 d-men are a hot commodity, and I doubt a package is made to send him for a more expensive, less talented guy. The one trade I could see is Douglas Murray from San Jose..... the Sharks would love to inject more youth, and ease cap burden after Vlasics long deal.

Would still be nice to see us sign Winnik if we moved Connolly or Lombardi though. We'll see.

DeceiverOfTheGods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:57 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalPhoenix View Post
In my opinion, Komisarek can be a solid defenceman if he's paired with a guy who can move the pick, which Liles can do. Liles is no Markov, but Markov was a #1 guy, and Liles is a #3 guys, and the pressure isn't the same.

Gardiner on bottom pairing gives room to develop without a ton of pressure, but if needed, he can take Komi's spot... that means a bottom pairing of Komi and Holzer. Lots of size and shutdown abilitiy.

As far as Franson, I think he wants top 4 minutes but he doesn't find a spot off the cuff. He'll have to sign a contract, and hope he finds a spot early on without guarantee. He clearly doesn't want this, so he's the leading candidate to move. Top 4 d-men are a hot commodity, and I doubt a package is made to send him for a more expensive, less talented guy. The one trade I could see is Douglas Murray from San Jose..... the Sharks would love to inject more youth, and ease cap burden after Vlasics long deal.

Would still be nice to see us sign Winnik if we moved Connolly or Lombardi though. We'll see.
Not a chance Franson deserves to get top 4 minutes on the Leafs or probably any team in the league. He is far to weak defensively and not good enough offensively to overlook a lot of those defensive shortcomings like say Liles.

People need to calling Franson a top 4. He was the # 6/7 dman in Nashville. Same as he was in Toronto. He sees very insulated 5 on 5 minutes, never sees the penalty kill and is a clear # 3 behind Phaneuf, Gardiner and Liles for powerplay time.

3 coaches in Trotz, Wilson and Carlyle have all scene to play him as a # 6/7 dmen. I'm going to say maybe these 3 guys know more then we do about Franson is. Plus why do fans think he was the throw-in for taking on the Lombardi contract and not someone else?

Murray isn't someone we should be trading for cause of his age and cap hit. But also because he really isn't any better then Komisarek. He's simply been in a better situation supported by a coach who had a better defensive support system than Wilson ever did, forward who are vastly superior defensively and better goaltending.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Sergei Berezin

I hope so.

I'm not expecting it, though.

We may see minimal improvements with a new(ish) coach, but his biggest flaw is low hockey IQ. That's not something we can really expect him to magically cure.

Then again, he's had success in the past, but I think his flaws weren't seen by blind Hab fans who were just in love with their hard-hitting high-pick defenceman.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:55 AM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin View Post
Heard this every off-season since he's been here, so I'm not getting my hopes up.
But you have to hope...

Look at the bottom of Pandora's box, and you'll find this song.

or, in its original version

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:05 AM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test Domi View Post
I'll have to disagree, because he was Markovs' partner for the most part, and Markov was on the first pairing. Hamrlik was on the 2nd pairing. Komi was on the first pairing in 06/07 and 07/08 and 08/09 most of the time in 3 of his 4 years as a Hab. He was also a + in all his Hab seasons except his first, when he was a -1. In most cases, 4/5 dmen are not pluses.
Average time on ice per year:

2005-06: 14:40 5th on the Habs
2006-07: 19:15 3rd
2007-08: 21:09 3rd
2008-09: 20:37 4th

EDIT: Just saw that Zeke did a much better job...

Last edited by beauchamp: 07-12-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old
07-12-2012, 01:09 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Yep he'll be better. Quite frankly I think he's been getting a bad rap from Leaf "fans".

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:12 AM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
(...)

Does anyone know if Holzer has to pass through waivers to get sent down? I know he has a 1 way contract but I saw someone say he doesn't have to go through waivers. :S
The infamous legacy of NHL12...

One-way contracts have no impact on waivers status.

He still has 1 year or 68 NHL games of waiver exemption, whichever comes first.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:23 AM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelsmustache View Post
Yep he'll be better. Quite frankly I think he's been getting a bad rap from Leaf "fans".
Because he's crap.

As long as he can get to a point where every 2-3 games he isn't making a brutal giveaway that directly leads to a goal, I will tolerate him until we can buy him out or trade him next offseason. Probably the worst move Burke has made.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:44 AM
LordRamsay
Come out and flay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
Because he's crap.

As long as he can get to a point where every 2-3 games he isn't making a brutal giveaway that directly leads to a goal, I will tolerate him until we can buy him out or trade him next offseason. Probably the worst move Burke has made.
This is what I'm talking about. Luke Schenn was 10x worse last year with giveaways but he got 1/2 the flak Komisarek did. I defy you to show me any proof of your claim that he would make a giveaway that directly led to a goal every 2-3 games last season.

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:28 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I'd like to see Franson packaged with an extra forward (MacA) and maybe a prospect for a defenceman to play with Phaneuf. Someone who is a good compliment to Phaneuf.

Then have Gardiner with Gunnar, and Komo-Liles on the 3rd pair. When the going gets tough for Gardiner/Gunnar, Komo and Liles can carry some extra minutes. Komo and Liles become expendable as Gardiner is ready for more consistency and tough minutes, and when some of the kids are ready to move up. We could have Blacker and Rielly ready a year from now, with Percy catching up too.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:12 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post

This right here is well thought out. Short of a star goalie, upgrading D is the realistic priority IMO.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:44 AM
edwardslane

as someone mentioned before it can't really get much worst can it?

A full healthy season in the lineup from day 1 should benefit Komi..

He should be our best shutdown Dman now and physical shot blocker. He needs to stop fighting lucic because he gets man handled. Know when you're bested and stop fighting the guy.

I hope Komi can have a great first half and we move him at the deadline for something of value.. that would be ideal. His 3.5 million salary vs the 4.5 million cap hit is def a + for some teams looking to achieve the cap floor. and he can be a mentor to the right player. I'm sure on long island he could be a good mentor for griffen Reinheat. that seems like the most logical option to me.. maybe even before this season starts who knows.

edwardslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:17 AM
MrVisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test Domi View Post
I really think and hope Komisarek is going to bounce back this year. First year with Leafs had a major injury, second year or third year with Leafs was accused of hitting a girl and was just completely lost under Wilson.

He was #1 shutdown guy in Montreal, then came to the circus that is Toronto and flopped miserably, for whatever reasons.

I think playing systems under Carlysle will get him back to his old form, because that run-n-gun style of Wilson he was like a chicken with no head.

Anyone else rooting for him to succeed this time? Because if you saw him Montreal, you know what his potential is. He's always been a team first guy, hence his beatings from Lucic.
My sister once accused me of hitting her and told my mom on me. I flunked out of school that year it was so devastating.

Seriously though, I feel this conversation comes up every year. I'm very hopeful every year, and I still am. It would be great to see a bounce-back year for him, Connolly and Lombardi.

MrVisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:27 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
All of a sudden its all Wilson fault. How did Gunners play so well under his system? Or will he a Norris winner now that Carlyle is coaching? He has to take some responsibility for his play.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote