HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

French Connection Statue?

Old
07-12-2012, 03:40 PM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Yankees have 27 individuals in Monument Park from 111 years of history.

Using my example, the Sabres would have 11 individuals from 50 years of history.

What's the difference, exactly?
Except the Yankees had a lot more stars and a lot more winning/campionships than Buffalo. Why built that many shrines to basically a history of mediocrity?

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Jame
Dream '16

So anyone got a link to this picture?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
So anyone got a link to this picture?
Well, I just watched the presser and Black said that they only know of two prints in their archive that have captured all three in the same frame. They decided on the second photo:

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:22 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

When I heard the press conference, and Ted started by saying "now, Terry's not a micromanager, he often lets us color outside of the lines" all I could hear was "I am not a crook!"

For those of you who won't get the reference, it means that the thing that you loudly and spontaneously deny is often the thing you're trying to avoid because you know it's true. Think of the guy in the elevator who, upon a sourceless fart, shouts "it wasn't me!"

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:43 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Well, I just watched the presser and Black said that they only know of two prints in their archive that have captured all three in the same frame. They decided on the second photo:

I prefer the second one since it's an action shot...but Martin is just so...far away...

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:17 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
No doubt the statue will feature Martin much closer to Perreault and Robert.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:19 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
When I heard the press conference, and Ted started by saying "now, Terry's not a micromanager, he often lets us color outside of the lines" all I could hear was "I am not a crook!"

For those of you who won't get the reference, it means that the thing that you loudly and spontaneously deny is often the thing you're trying to avoid because you know it's true. Think of the guy in the elevator who, upon a sourceless fart, shouts "it wasn't me!"
What the heck are you talking about.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:21 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
What the heck are you talking about.
not sure which part you don't understand. I'm suggesting it had the effect of sounding like Terry is a micromanager, because Ted felt the need to so publicly and unprovoked tell everyone he wasn't.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:25 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I prefer the second one since it's an action shot...but Martin is just so...far away...
I'm sure the sculptor will be given license to move Martin closer. It'll still be a real moment in Sabres history, just shopped to fit on a pedestal.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:53 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Damn! I love those old home uni's!!!!

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:00 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
not sure which part you don't understand. I'm suggesting it had the effect of sounding like Terry is a micromanager, because Ted felt the need to so publicly and unprovoked tell everyone he wasn't.
What does it have to do with this thread or statues though? You lost me when you started talking about farts.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:06 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
What does it have to do with this thread or statues though? You lost me when you started talking about farts.
It's just an aside. You can ignore it if you want.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:52 AM
Royisgone

I think this is a good idea, and the French Connection is certainly the right place to start.

But we need to be careful about dilluting the value of the overall presentation by adding too many other statues.

As others have said, there is only so much greatness in the history of this franchise worthy of bronze immortality.

Among players, I think there is room for a LaFontaine/Mogilny type thing, as the magic those 2 had together was almost unique in the history of this franchise, and the year in which Mogilny scored his 76 goals and Patty had like 52 or so was pretty special.

A statue including a net with Dom flopping in front of it while making one of his crazy, awkward saves without a stick would be cool and he deserves a place here as well.

I'm not sure if the Sabres want to go there, but Rob Ray deserves to be in bronze as well. He is one of the best NHL fighters of all time, entertained Buffalonians for a lot of years doing a brutally tough job, and is 6th all time in penalty minutes.

If they did one of Rayzor, it would have to show him barechested with sweater off.

I am thinking of him raising 2 fists in triumph after KO'ing Steve Webb. That would make a great statue. Not sure this is the image the Sabres want to celebrate however.

For non players, the Knox brothers, Milt Ellis, Ted Darling, and RJ all come to mind immediately.

And for the young pups who don't know who Danny Gare is--learn your history! It's not all about stats you neophytes! Danny Gare could pop 50 goals in, would fight with anyone, and was tough. You may not know who he is, or what player he was, but if he was on this team with this group of soft cream puffs you would quickly grow to love him. Trust me.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:56 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaphil View Post
No doubt the statue will feature Martin much closer to Perreault and Robert.
Exactly. They aren't going to leave a 10 foot gap in the statue

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:03 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
I think this is a good idea, and the French Connection is certainly the right place to start.

But we need to be careful about dilluting the value of the overall presentation by adding too many other statues.

As others have said, there is only so much greatness in the history of this franchise worthy of bronze immortality.

Among players, I think there is room for a LaFontaine/Mogilny type thing, as the magic those 2 had together was almost unique in the history of this franchise, and the year in which Mogilny scored his 76 goals and Patty had like 52 or so was pretty special.

A statue including a net with Dom flopping in front of it while making one of his crazy, awkward saves without a stick would be cool and he deserves a place here as well.

I'm not sure if the Sabres want to go there, but Rob Ray deserves to be in bronze as well. He is one of the best NHL fighters of all time, entertained Buffalonians for a lot of years doing a brutally tough job, and is 6th all time in penalty minutes.

If they did one of Rayzor, it would have to show him barechested with sweater off.

I am thinking of him raising 2 fists in triumph after KO'ing Steve Webb. That would make a great statue. Not sure this is the image the Sabres want to celebrate however.

For non players, the Knox brothers, Milt Ellis, Ted Darling, and RJ all come to mind immediately.

And for the young pups who don't know who Danny Gare is--learn your history! It's not all about stats you neophytes! Danny Gare could pop 50 goals in, would fight with anyone, and was tough. You may not know who he is, or what player he was, but if he was on this team with this group of soft cream puffs you would quickly grow to love him. Trust me.
LaFontaine-Mogilny: Yes!
Hasek: Yes!
RJ (and perhaps Darling): Yes!
Knox brothers: Yes!

Anyone else? Eh... I think that'd be overdoing it. 5 statues seems more than adequate. I would certainly not vote for a Rob Ray statue but I'm not going to have serious issue with anything they decide.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:22 AM
Revelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Exactly. They aren't going to leave a 10 foot gap in the statue
but it would be really funny if they did. I wouldn't be surprised if they did the other picture either.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:19 AM
HiddenInLight

I don't know about 10 of them, but I can certainly name a few guys who are iconic to our franchise and would get a statue including the French Connection, Lalalalalalalafontaine, The Dominator, RJ (not a player, but is more iconic to this franchise then some of the players with retired numbers), Ellis (also iconic to anybody who was around for the games at the aud). I think its a good idea, but again ten is too many. It definatly shows the teams commitment to their alumni, and after being ignored for so long It helps to make up for a major slight by the team.

Also, we should all chip in like 5 dollers and get a HFboards brick....would be awesome.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I don't know about 10 of them, but I can certainly name a few guys who are iconic to our franchise and would get a statue including the French Connection, Lalalalalalalafontaine, The Dominator, RJ (not a player, but is more iconic to this franchise then some of the players with retired numbers), Ellis (also iconic to anybody who was around for the games at the aud). I think its a good idea, but again ten is too many. It definatly shows the teams commitment to their alumni, and after being ignored for so long It helps to make up for a major slight by the team.

Also, we should all chip in like 5 dollers and get a HFboards brick....would be awesome.
I mean our record with him in the lineup is great and all, but already building a statue for Matt Ellis?

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:27 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I mean our record with him in the lineup is great and all, but already building a statue for Matt Ellis?

Matt Ellis is CLEARLY the best player we have had in years....I still don't understand why he is slumming it on the fourth line. He's almost as iconic as Milt at this point. I bet his is the grand finale statue in our anniversery year.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:26 AM
CrankyJay

The old school Sabres logo is going to look awesome in statue form.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Royisgone

On a somewhat related note, if we want to all start naming "joke" names for the monuments/statues, of ex-Sabres who were pathetic, well, that list would be staggeringly long.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
On a somewhat related note, if we want to all start naming "joke" names for the monuments/statues, of ex-Sabres who were pathetic, well, that list would be staggeringly long.

How many Brad Brown's does it take to build a Bob Corkum statue out of fax machines?

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:47 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
I called Jerry yesterday for remarks for a blog post. The only detail he'd cough up over the phone or in the email was that it'll be 7 feet tall. Dude used his old CCM skates for reference for the cast, too.

I'd link, but I'm sure posting your own stuff is against the COC.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:13 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
How many Brad Brown's does it take to build a Bob Corkum statue out of fax machines?
Just one, but the statue keeps spitting Zigomanis' entry contract out its knees.

Old
07-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Beerz

I'm not sure why people are worried about having "too many" statues ...

This is going to be named "Alumni Plaza" .... This isn't Sabres Hall of Fame Plaza ...

It's a place for learning the history of the franchise and honoring those who contributed to the franchise both on and off the ice..

It's a place to celebrate it's history ..

I for one wouldn't be opposed to having a statue of Brad May in action during his May Day goal..

By the sounds of it to me...this is totally different from other sporting franchises that honor their greatest player ever with a statue.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote