HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

French Connection Statue?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2012, 07:23 PM
  #101
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,792
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
And also, regarding "mediocrity" that some have mentioned... I understand some are only mentioning that in regards to the notion of making statues for certain players, but some seem to be holding that attitude in general which is just nonsense.

Hasek: Arguably the best goaltender ever and certainly my pick.

French Connection: One of the most iconic lines in NHL history, including a Hall of Famer who's, yes, one of the best and most electrifying offensive players of all time.

LaFontaine and Mogilny: when healthy, one of the best duos you can name. One Hall of Famer and arguable all-time best American forward and one history-making Russian.

Jeanneret: Hall of Famer, icon of the franchise.

Nothing mediocre about these possible selections.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:31 PM
  #102
Digable5
Registered User
 
Digable5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: B-Lo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
And also, regarding "mediocrity" that some have mentioned... I understand some are only mentioning that in regards to the notion of making statues for certain players, but some seem to be holding that attitude in general which is just nonsense.

Hasek: Arguably the best goaltender ever and certainly my pick.

French Connection: One of the most iconic lines in NHL history, including a Hall of Famer who's, yes, one of the best and most electrifying offensive players of all time.

LaFontaine and Mogilny: when healthy, one of the best duos you can name. One Hall of Famer and arguable all-time best American forward and one history-making Russian.

Jeanneret: Hall of Famer, icon of the franchise.

Nothing mediocre about these possible selections.
I feel like Hasek was making most of his Sabres' history in an AGH jersey. Do you find a stellar moment in Blue and Gold or do you find the most iconic moment and sculpt the original logo on his chest or sculpt him in AGH?

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:56 PM
  #103
Rebuild
Registered User
 
Rebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
I've got no objections to Hasek in an AGH jersey. It's what he wore. It's our history lets not whitewhash it. Just like if a Drury or Briere statues was to go up it needs to be in the slug.


I'm not advocating a Drury or Briere statue. Just think whoever gets one should where what they wore when they made their mark.


Last edited by Rebuild: 07-13-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:22 PM
  #104
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two Tylers now View Post
I've got no objections to Hasek in an AGH jersey. It's what he wore. It's our history lets not whitewhash it. Just like if a Drury or Briere statues was to go up it needs to be in the slug.


I'm not advocating a Drury or Briere statue. Just think whoever gets one should where what they wore when they made their mark.
I's an academic point, but I would definitely put Briere or Drury in the AGH. That 06 team was miles better than the 07 team.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:24 PM
  #105
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,162
vCash: 500
I am now praying the image of Hasek is in the butterknives, for the lulz that would ensue.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:27 PM
  #106
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
And also, regarding "mediocrity" that some have mentioned... I understand some are only mentioning that in regards to the notion of making statues for certain players, but some seem to be holding that attitude in general which is just nonsense.

Hasek: Arguably the best goaltender ever and certainly my pick.

French Connection: One of the most iconic lines in NHL history, including a Hall of Famer who's, yes, one of the best and most electrifying offensive players of all time.

LaFontaine and Mogilny: when healthy, one of the best duos you can name. One Hall of Famer and arguable all-time best American forward and one history-making Russian.

Jeanneret: Hall of Famer, icon of the franchise.

Nothing mediocre about these possible selections.
when you put a couple players together, it makes a little more sense. I definitely concede that. If it was just a Mogilny statue, e.g., that would look a little bad, cause he's not a Sabre for life and he only had a couple great years here. Lafontaine was here longer and had more good years, but the same logic still applies to a lesser extent to him. But if you capture linemates together its kinda more like you're capturing a moment in franchise history (and there have definitely been some great moments) and less like you're saying the sabres identity can be captured by alex mogilny the player.

So yeah: I think the way you put the above suggestions, I would say all of them would look good in the plaza (and I've been one of the chief detractors in this thread). However, I'm not sure who else you could put. It sounded like this was going to be a thing for a few years, so it might go longer than 4.


EDIT::
Let's go just a little further down this train of thought, actually. If you focused on making it about a moment in franchise history, maybe a group of players rather than any one individual, I could even see a statue like, Jay Mckee and Rhett warrener both diving to block the same shot. Those guys were close as family off ice, on ice partners, and a pair of the toughest d-men we ever had. Neither will be remembered as a great player by themselves, but they stick out as one of the most memorable duos we had, and Jay led the league in blocked shots for like, half a decade. I think if you make the point of the statues less about one guy who represents the team and more about a group or a moment that a team had together, you have a lot more potential to work with. And I think that it would send a totally different message ("we're about team and family") than statues raised to celebrate individuals.


Last edited by haseoke39: 07-13-2012 at 10:00 PM.
haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:34 PM
  #107
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,792
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
I feel like Hasek was making most of his Sabres' history in an AGH jersey. Do you find a stellar moment in Blue and Gold or do you find the most iconic moment and sculpt the original logo on his chest or sculpt him in AGH?
I have no issue with representing him in an AGH jersey. They made it to a Cup final wearing that disaster, after all. But he had plenty of good moments and seasons in the blue & gold, including several straight years leading the league in save percentage and, I believe one Vezina (I'm certain of at least one - '94-'95, think the rest came in AGH).

If the moment they decide on came in the AGH then that's what you sculpt. That's assuming that the logo even gets sculpted into the statue which isn't necessarily a given with these things.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:47 PM
  #108
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,792
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
when you put a couple players together, it makes a little more sense. I definitely concede that. If it was just a Mogilny statue, e.g., that would look a little bad, cause he's not a Sabre for life and he only had a couple great years here. Lafontaine was here longer and had more good years, but the same logic still applies to a lesser extent to him. But if you capture linemates together its kinda more like you're capturing a moment in franchise history (and there have definitely been some great moments) and less like you're saying the sabres identity can be captured by alex mogilny the player.

So yeah: I think the way you put the above suggestions, I would say all of them would look good in the plaza (and I've been one of the chief detractors in this thread). However, I'm not sure who else you could put. It sounded like this was going to be a thing for a few years, so it might go longer than 4.
I agree that individually, LaFontaine and Mogilny would be a tougher sell. Combined they'd make a great statue that represents an exciting era in Sabres hockey that sadly never achieved its true potential due largely to unfortunate injuries to those two.

I only listened to part of the presser so I don't know what their longterm plans are, but as I said in a post previous to the one you're responding to: French Connection, LaFontaine/Mogilny, Hasek, RJ, Knox Brothers seem like good choices to me, but I'm not sure where to go beyond that if they wanted more statues.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:10 PM
  #109
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I agree that individually, LaFontaine and Mogilny would be a tougher sell. Combined they'd make a great statue that represents an exciting era in Sabres hockey that sadly never achieved its true potential due largely to unfortunate injuries to those two.

I only listened to part of the presser so I don't know what their longterm plans are, but as I said in a post previous to the one you're responding to: French Connection, LaFontaine/Mogilny, Hasek, RJ, Knox Brothers seem like good choices to me, but I'm not sure where to go beyond that if they wanted more statues.
Someone mentioned May Day...which is interesting given that it's such a memorable moment...but it's Brad May...

Maybe if Bourque is in the pic getting owned

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:16 PM
  #110
Insomniac99
Registered User
 
Insomniac99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Posts: 1,505
vCash: 500
I want a statue of this:



Have his two front teeth made out of chrome instead of bronze.


Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:23 PM
  #111
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Someone mentioned May Day...which is interesting given that it's such a memorable moment...but it's Brad May...

Maybe if Bourque is in the pic getting owned
I don't like the idea of May Day because what made May Day memorable was the call. That won't go into the statue.

I also don't like it because if we're going to try and capture moments, they shouldn't be moments like a big goal or a big win. Because let's face it, until we win the cup I don't think there'll be one single victory worth its own statue. We're going to be explaining to our kids that we decided to immortalize in bronze the moment that we made it out of the first round for the first time in 10 years and it's just going to sound sad. No statues for partial victories. No statues for making it out of the first round.

The kinds of moments I think we should have statues for are moments that capture the character of the players - that emblemize what the team is supposed to be about. I like the idea of a Jay McKee -Rhett Warrener double shot block. I like the idea of Dave Andreychuk getting crosschecked in front of the net. I like the idea of the Dominator making one of his desperation saves. I don't think the statutes should just go to the 5-10 best players in franchise history, because honestly, none of them were that historic on their own. They should go to the guys who can be captured demonstrating what Buffalo Sabres hockey is supposed to be about.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:26 PM
  #112
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac99 View Post
I want a statue of this:



Have his two front teeth made out of chrome instead of bronze.

I don't know if you're being facetious, but I think this is in the vein of what I would want, too. Don't give Danny ****ing Gare a statue because he scored 260 goals in 8 seasons with the team and because he has his jersey retired. Give a lesser known player a statue (or better yet, a group of memorable teammates) because they represented what Sabres hockey is supposed to be about.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:40 PM
  #113
Insomniac99
Registered User
 
Insomniac99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Posts: 1,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I don't know if you're being facetious, but I think this is in the vein of what I would want, too. Don't give Danny ****ing Gare a statue because he scored 260 goals in 8 seasons with the team and because he has his jersey retired. Give a lesser known player a statue (or better yet, a group of memorable teammates) because they represented what Sabres hockey is supposed to be about.
I'd LOVE having a grinning Barnaby statue. But yah I was being a little facetious too because I know that's not someone most would consider worthy of a statue. It would be great to have kids look at it 20 years from now and them really seeing the grin that drove so many opponents crazy.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:50 PM
  #114
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
You know those words they have above the dressing room door that are supposed to symbolize everything the team is about? I'd like that kind of theme with the statues.

The French Connection could just be "Excellence"

Mogilny/Lafontaine could be "Chemistry"

Rhett Warrener and Jay McKee diving to block the same shot (there has to be a picture of this somewhere) could be "Sacrifice"

Hasek diving to block something with his blocker could be "Desperation."

This picture of Connolly climbing on Drury's back after the tying Ranger goal could be "60 Minutes." This one's a bit of a stretch, but it's a great pose and I like the idea of celebrating the fact that they really were known as "the cardiac kids" for a couple seasons there, and that goal was just emblematic of the kind of team that we had in those good years.

RJ Could be "Personality."

The Knoxes could be "Loyalty" because they had that famous quote about how they would never consider starting a team anywhere bu their home.

Dave Andreychuk getting crosschecked in the back in front of the net could be "Perseverance."

Tim Horton could be "Forever" because he left this earth while he was a Sabre.

Rob Ray could be "Teammate" because he fought for his teammates, not for himself.

I don't know. I kinda of like the idea of a statue garden with themes that celebrate teammates and moments and qualities that are what Sabres hockey should be about, a statue garden that celebrates some of the role players as well, rather than just taking your retired numbers and making a big statue of each of them. Surely this specific list isn't the best of what it could be (who really wants Connolly sneaking into a statue just because it was a memorable pose and a characteristic goal), but you get the idea behind it. You could put a little plaque beneath each statue that talks about why it was included.


Last edited by haseoke39: 07-13-2012 at 11:12 PM.
haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:10 AM
  #115
LightningMcqueen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Love the statue idea.

LightningMcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:17 AM
  #116
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcqueen View Post
Love the statue idea.
Welcome aboard ... McQueen!


ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:38 AM
  #117
Nathan Gerbe 42
Rookie User
 
Nathan Gerbe 42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Buffalo, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
It sounds like a good idea to me. The French Connection is a big part of the Sabres' history so it's about time they do something special for 'em.

Nathan Gerbe 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:08 AM
  #118
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,411
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
You know those words they have above the dressing room door that are supposed to symbolize everything the team is about? I'd like that kind of theme with the statues.

The French Connection could just be "Excellence"

Mogilny/Lafontaine could be "Chemistry"
< snip >
Great ideas. This might make more statues easier to swallow for some people.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:45 AM
  #119
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Great ideas. This might make more statues easier to swallow for some people.
Agreed. I actually really like that idea.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:46 AM
  #120
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
So anyone got a link to this picture?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Black referenced the photo by Ron Moscati that was taken during a playoff game - and the second photo is what the Sabres posted to the article on their site confirming the selection.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Hasek: Arguably the best goaltender ever and certainly my pick.
Agreed - the statue would have to be with him on his back in one of those classic snow angel poses that Hasek made famous:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=domin...IzrnDCw&zoom=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
LaFontaine and Mogilny: when healthy, one of the best duos you can name. One Hall of Famer and arguable all-time best American forward and one history-making Russian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Combined they'd make a great statue that represents an exciting era in Sabres hockey that sadly never achieved its true potential due largely to unfortunate injuries to those two.
Agreed - I always liked the B&W photo of Pat handing the puck to Alex when he scored his 50th goal as seen from overhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Jeanneret: Hall of Famer, icon of the franchise.
I was always fond of this B&W photo of RJ in action with Playfair looking on - likely screaming out a goal call:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=rick+...v2uyOCw&zoom=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I's an academic point, but I would definitely put Briere or Drury in the AGH. That 06 team was miles better than the 07 team.
Judging from many of Black's comments when they took over about "de-slugging" the arena and buying back slug jerseys from fans, my guess is that the Sabres would not want to memorialize any player in that jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I am now praying the image of Hasek is in the butterknives, for the lulz that would ensue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I have no issue with representing him in an AGH jersey. They made it to a Cup final wearing that disaster, after all. But he had plenty of good moments and seasons in the blue & gold, including several straight years leading the league in save percentage and, I believe one Vezina (I'm certain of at least one - '94-'95, think the rest came in AGH).
Not to mention the two consecutive Hart trophies and Olympic gold medal - obviously, Hasek's career pinnacle came between 1998 - 1999, during the AGH jersey. Memorializing him in that is not only logical but the right thing to do.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.