HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps sign LW Wojtek Wolski to one-year $600k deal

Old
07-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
Scrubs don't have the leverage to be miffed. They don't have the luxury. Matthias Purrutusson is still tickled he's on a one-way and making seven figures.

I agree with the notion that he's a utility player who can play on multiple lines and all three forward positions, in a pinch. When fully healthy, there is nothing wrong with having that guy sit.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
I was referring more to his role as the guy who's either in the top 6 or not in the lineup, not necessarily the Hershey part. Barring some very serious injury problems, I don't think we need two of those.
I think they do for competition purposes. It's faith in numbers. They can't fully rely on either one so removing an option takes away lineup flexibility based on performance. It puts even more on the coaching staff to finesse throughout the year but if managed well perhaps it gives them trade package options at the deadline.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

The more I think about this, the more I'm afraid that this is related to Perreault and that it means we're done. Previously, Perreault was our offensive depth player. If MP85 is going to move into a top-6 role full time, we need someone else who can be around to fill in for top-6 injuries, yet with a small enough contract that we can scratch him when healthy. Enter Wojtek Wolski.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I think it's insurance. If you buy that, then it doesn't mean they're done. It means they needed to make a move in case it turns out they're done.

I think their targets are via trade, not free agency.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Perreault - Backstrom - Ovechkin
Wolski - Ribeiro - Brouwer
Chimera - Laich - Johansson
Hendricks - Beagle - Ward/Crabb

Meh.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:47 PM
artilector

I think MP will find a place under the new coach -- Oates should be able to recognize his energetic creativity, and find a way to channel it.

Are the Caps done making moves? Well, it sure seems that way in the sense that McPhee covered his bases at every position, and is prepared to start the season with this team, for better or worse.

Does GMGM see the team as needing a big trade sometime down the line to fix a major flaw(s)? I'm gonna say no -- I don't think the Caps will make a big move this year unless it's a deal that McPhee can't resist, thus -- unlikely.

I definitely think at this point the Caps want to see what the team looks like under Oates, and how young players like MJ and perhaps Galiev perform at the start of the year/Hershey, before they'd actively consider packaging guys for a potential player. And for sure they want to know what the cap is going to be after the new CBA.

Still, I doubt the Caps pursue any big players even when the dust settles -- don't think they'll want to give up the assets. And frankly, I'm not sure how I feel about that -- it's not obvious to me that Caps have enough assets to really build a contender through trades (which is an azz-backwards way to do things, IMO, but w/e). So maybe dumpster-diving + "puncher's chance" in playoffs for the next year or two is actually the best possible course of action (given current apparent FO policies) until Kuz/Forsberg come over and it makes sense to load up again. :shrug:

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Well, the best way to assemble a team is to engage in all aspects of team construction. Draft well, develop well, make a few judicious trades, and dabble in free agency. Avoid getting so caught up in the feeding frenzy that you give a player too much for too long.
  • I'd say that Caps draft reasonably well. They don't hit on enough later-round picks. They miss too often in the first round, and on questionable picks (let's take a flyer on this reach at #20 simply because we made a safe pick at #10). On the whole, though, they do well at the draft. It generated their current core.

• They have benefited from the affiliation with Hershey, and pick players from solid European HCs with a history of player development, from the USNTDP, and select franchises in the WHL (and to a lesser extent the OHL). They don't get a truckload of NCAA-developed players that pan out. Not a lot of players with high upside fizzle out. Development seems to hurt few and occasionally bring more out of players. AHL championships have certainly helped with the development of some mid-tier NHL players.

• They aren't bad in free agency. They avoid risk. They make few if any huge signings, looking to the second tier much of the time. I like their dumpster diving sorts of pickups. Mironov was a terrible signing. Lang was a great signing. Ward is OK, but overpaid. Poti wasn't bad before his health cratered. They sometimes could use bit more of an aggressive approach where the top end in free agency is concerned.

• Trades are where they really fall short. This GM doesn't make big trades, and he accordingly can leave gaping holes unaddressed for years. Not being much of a horse trader has hurt the team from time to time. It's true that they almost never lose a trade, but that's a by-product of a GM that is so risk averse in general. You have to assess not merely his record on the trades he does make, but what might have been in the case of the deals which he has opted not to pursue.

Last edited by Drake1588: 07-12-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old
07-12-2012, 03:07 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
I think MP will find a place under the new coach -- Oates should be able to recognize his energetic creativity, and find a way to channel it.

Are the Caps done making moves? Well, it sure seems that way in the sense that McPhee covered his bases at every position, and is prepared to start the season with this team, for better or worse.

Does GMGM see the team as needing a big trade sometime down the line to fix a major flaw(s)? I'm gonna say no -- I don't think the Caps will make a big move this year unless it's a deal that McPhee can't resist, thus -- unlikely.

I definitely think at this point the Caps want to see what the team looks like under Oates, and how young players like MJ and perhaps Galiev perform at the start of the year/Hershey, before they'd actively consider packaging guys for a potential player. And for sure they want to know what the cap is going to be after the new CBA.

Still, I doubt the Caps pursue any big players even when the dust settles -- don't think they'll want to give up the assets. And frankly, I'm not sure how I feel about that -- it's not obvious to me that Caps have enough assets to really build a contender through trades (which is an azz-backwards way to do things, IMO, but w/e). So maybe dumpster-diving + "puncher's chance" in playoffs for the next year or two is actually the best possible course of action (given current apparent FO policies) until Kuz/Forsberg come over and it makes sense to load up again. :shrug:
That's miserable. If that's the case, why should anyone bother watching for 2 years or going to games. This is just an experimentation year then until "KUZ" comes over? He may not even come over and Ovie ain't getting any younger. Sounds like a major waste of a year to me.

aquablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:13 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

MP posted fine stats despite scrub minutes and situations. This wasn't the high scoring Q - he impressed overall and overcame the wall hurdle from recent years. I don't think its quite as fun to bust on him after last year. He posted a good shooting percentage. I am not sure scrubs can pull that off. Its not like had Warren Young grade tap in's, either.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

All he did last year was progress in the sense that he was no longer riding the shuttle. That was an achievement and it meant serious money for him last season, and in the form of a one-way, seven-figure deal this summer.

Yet he's signed now. Let's not inflate the degree to which guys in his position cause trouble when they don't get everything on a platter. He knows he's going to have to work and he knows he's going to have to beat out other people to progress even further.

We're talking about Perreault, not a star player. He's not established enough yet to be taking issue at his team ensuring it has injury depth and options rather than plugging him in to its scoring lines on a permanent basis. That just comes with the territory of playing for a team with aspirations at contention. There's never going to be only 12 regulars.

Old
07-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I wonder if MP is pissed at the VV signing. I think he was recently told he will be used in the top 6. I believe George conveniently didn't tell him, as depth.

George is walking around in a fog himself. He has moments of clarity (Ribs, Forsberg, Brouwer) but he can't write a whole blueprint. He keeps changing it. One year we're a locomotive, next a VW hippie bus, now we're bringing Oates to drive a Porsche but that motor...it's a 4 cylinder.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:51 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

George does come off as a bit desperate/foggy to me. Its not surprising, his 4 stars have fallen. He is trying everything.

Back to MP - I think MP has exceeded reasonable expectations. He was a plus player when I bet most here would wager he would be more likely a minus guy. He seems pretty darn tough. While his game may have been a little slow to develop, it seems many expected a fast track for a 6th rounder.

Maybe we can give him a break this offseason. He is one of George's very rare diamonds in the rough. While he may never project to be a 2C, he certainly is on his way to eeking out an NHL career, impressive for a 6th. I have a feeling George Foglight McPhee won't Oduya him.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-12-2012 at 05:09 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Atlas

I like MP. But he's a classic "Where does he play?" guy. Is he an NHL center? If yes, it's either 82 games at 2C or else at 4C with carefully selected wingers. I don't know what to do with him. But he's not getting 82 games at 2C anytime soon.

But yeah, he tends to create chances in the style of Joe Juneau or Andrew Burnette.

I hope Oates likes him.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Dirtbag59

Right now the plan feels like a complete flip flop of last year. Last years plan was do everything in the summer nothing at the deadline, this time it feels like do almost nothing in the summer and everything at the deadline.

McPhee seems like he wants to see what this group of guys can do, particularly MP in a top 6 role, before getting help at the deadline or maybe even a 1st quarter trade like Hannan for Flash.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:41 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Well, the best way to assemble a team is to engage in all aspects of team construction. Draft well, develop well, make a few judicious trades, and dabble in free agency. Avoid getting so caught up in the feeding frenzy that you give a player too much for too long.
  • I'd say that Caps draft reasonably well. They don't hit on enough later-round picks. They miss too often in the first round, and on questionable picks (let's take a flyer on this reach at #20 simply because we made a safe pick at #10). On the whole, though, they do well at the draft. It generated their current core.
  • They have benefited from the affiliation with Hershey, and pick players from solid European HCs with a history of player development, from the USNTDP, and select franchises in the WHL (and to a lesser extent the OHL). They don't get a truckload of NCAA-developed players that pan out. Not a lot of players with high upside fizzle out. Development seems to hurt few and occasionally bring more out of players. AHL championships have certainly helped with the development of some mid-tier NHL players.
  • They aren't bad in free agency. They avoid risk. They make few if any huge signings, looking to the second tier much of the time. I like their dumpster diving sorts of pickups. Mironov was a terrible signing. Lang was a great signing. Ward is OK, but overpaid. Poti wasn't bad before his health cratered. They sometimes could use bit more of an aggressive approach where the top end in free agency is concerned.
  • Trades are where they really fall short. This GM doesn't make big trades, and he accordingly can leave gaping holes unaddressed for years. Not being much of a horse trader has hurt the team from time to time. It's true that they almost never lose a trade, but that's a by-product of a GM that is so risk averse in general. You have to assess not merely his record on the trades he does make, but what might have been in the case of the deals which he has opted not to pursue.
IMO, it's the reverse in those last points -- Caps' trades are ok (Hannan, Wideman, Ribeiro, Fedorov, etc), but where it comes to UFA, they're terrible, both in the strange aversion to quality UFAs and in overpaying the few guys they do sign (Nylander, Laich, Ward). The guys they do sign for reasonable money end up not contributing much. Knuble is the only exception that comes to mind in recent years that worked out well.

IMO the overall problems are still bad/subpar asset management and lack of organizational identity/philosophy. They have a good sense of overall direction (build thru draft), navigate ok around individual trees (2nd rnd picks ftw), but still end up kind of lost in the forest (why is this not working?!).

Old
07-12-2012, 05:51 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
That's miserable. If that's the case, why should anyone bother watching for 2 years or going to games. This is just an experimentation year then until "KUZ" comes over? He may not even come over and Ovie ain't getting any younger. Sounds like a major waste of a year to me.
Why are you asking me? lol

The reality is that the Caps have an above average FO, but not elite. At this point the UFA market is pretty much closed, the roster has some holes/issues, and there's not that many assets to move around. So how can one expect miracles?

Old
07-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

solid signing. 2nd line still sucks dong though. but i guess thats for another thread.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:05 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Terrible.

If you don't like Semin you will HATE ( I mean HATE!) Wolski. Just a pizz poor player at any cost IMO.

Terrible if he is in your top 6. Terrible in your bottom six. He is the definition of a "tweener" to an extreme.

Good at shootouts. I guess we will be going for ties and then hooking shootout points this year.
Wolski is a guy who had such an upside a few years ago, and the league seemed to soften him up. Not a big line of takers for him.

So, we add forward Wolski... Carolina adds forward Jordan Stahl.

And we're happy because?

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Wolski is a guy who had such an upside a few years ago, and the league seemed to soften him up. Not a big line of takers for him.

And we're happy because?
Who the Hell is happy? Most acknowledge it as a good value signing, but no one is praising GMGM.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:

And we're happy because?

?

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:08 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

If McPhee can sign Gunnar, I will never complain about him again.

But seriously. Why were the Ducks playing a country? Why was Iceland any good at hockey? And why wasn't Goldberg pissed that he got pulled in the middle of a freaking shootout?

So many questions.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:55 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Who the Hell is happy? Most acknowledge it as a good value signing, but no one is praising GMGM.
Acknowledge? More like "claim."

Sorry, but Bob's right. Semin has his weaknesses, but he's still an impact player. It's a serious downgrade.

I realize Wolski is a wing, and Halpern's a centre, but I'd rather have had Halpern on the team. He's good to have when you need to win a late face-off, and pretty fair defenceively.

Oh well, we seemed to be heading in the right direction for a while, but lately we're back to the old status quo.

Spilled milk.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Acknowledge? More like "claim."

Sorry, but Bob's right. Semin has his weaknesses, but he's still an impact player. It's a serious downgrade.

I realize Wolski is a wing, and Halpern's a centre, but I'd rather have had Halpern on the team. He's good to have when you need to win a late face-off, and pretty fair defenceively.

Oh well, we seemed to be heading in the right direction for a while, but lately we're back to the old status quo.

Spilled milk.
Well their "claim" is correct. It is a good value signing. Zero risk, the GMGM special.

Wolski isn't Semin's replacement, he won't be anything more than depth.

I'm no GMGM supporter, but I suspect he'll make a top 6 move, whether it's via free agency or trade. If he doesn't...he's delusional.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
George does come off as a bit desperate/foggy to me. Its not surprising, his 4 stars have fallen. He is trying everything.

Back to MP - I think MP has exceeded reasonable expectations. He was a plus player when I bet most here would wager he would be more likely a minus guy. He seems pretty darn tough. While his game may have been a little slow to develop, it seems many expected a fast track for a 6th rounder.

Maybe we can give him a break this offseason. He is one of George's very rare diamonds in the rough. While he may never project to be a 2C, he certainly is on his way to eeking out an NHL career, impressive for a 6th. I have a feeling George Foglight McPhee won't Oduya him.
My take on Perreault is that he was a bit of a long shot when he came in, and deserves full marks for fighting through for his spots last year. Looking at his deal when he signed it a week or two ago, I'm less bothered by it than I would have been at this time a year ago. He earned that deal.

Now that said, he should have to beat out people for a permanent slot, like everyone else. Grab extra forward(s) and if Perreault outplays them, that's great news. He should play, in that case. Don't write him into a top-six role and just hope everything goes well, every player hits on expectations, and that there will be no major injuries. There is always a need for depth. This year is going to be no different.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:15 AM
bonzilla

LOL @ one of the posters on Japers: Floatek Wolski

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote