HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vlasic re-signed (5 years, through 17-18 season)

Old
07-11-2012, 11:11 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
It stinks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
I'm so excited to see the impact Robinson can have on our young defensemen who have already proven to be solid.
I'm with you on that. Pickles' signing is just the icing on the cake for this week. The Mayan prophecies for the Sharks' future looks a lot less bleak now

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:15 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
not at all silly, just showing that the trend does exist of past winners going through a rebuild then winning it all. thats the last 4 champions. and im not suggesting we gun for last place, but that we realize that by 2015 boyle will be gone, jt and marleau will be on the decline big time (36 years old) as well as havlat (34) and we simply don't have anyone in our pool to replace them. so basically we'll have couture, pavs... and that's it!

so at this point we could do one of two things - go into a rebuild and trade some of our assets for young prospects and picks, NOT trade any of our picks and prospects (since 2000 we have like 3 first round picks we still have - couture, petricki, and the guy we just took this past season, and we have offed so many 2nd round picks), and see how we do (probably a lottery pick or at least a top 10 pick). OR we can continue on, trading away our picks for players, and fielding a decent team that has no shot at a cup and just hope for a low playoff seed. im talking about teams like dallas and calgs right now. both have decent teams but both always just miss out.
Wait a minute. If all those big contracts expire, doesnt that free up cash and capspace to go out and sign high profile UFAs. *If Available, is always the caveat, but if it's a decent yr...

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:17 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Honest talk...is there a team with a better top 6 D than the Sharks? Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Stuart, Murray and Braun.
the rangers, st.louis for sure, close would be chicago, nashville, LA, washington, phoenix.

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:23 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 3565
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Wait a minute. If all those big contracts expire, doesnt that free up cash and capspace to go out and sign high profile UFAs. *If Available, is always the caveat, but if it's a decent yr...
I'm not saying the Sharks are in trouble or anything, but you can't rely on available cap space to fix your roster. Just look at Nashville and Detroit... two top teams that can't seem to sign anyone of worth.... not even their own.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:27 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
I'm not saying the Sharks are in trouble or anything, but you can't rely on available cap space to fix your roster. Just look at Nashville and Detroit... two top teams that can't seem to sign anyone of worth.... not even their own.
Seriously. Look no further than the Wings fans who went into the off-season laughing their way to the bank about the $20M they could use to sign Parise, Suter, and Semin.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:38 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
the rangers, st.louis for sure, close would be chicago, nashville, LA, washington, phoenix.
So could make argument for top 3.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:10 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

I'm obviously biased, but I like our D more than NY. Well, at least, I don't like the way Tortorella handles his D; or his players in general. I'd need to see them under a different coach who does not play favorites so much before I can judge who has a better defense. Likewise I need to see how this new defensive coaching affects our Defence. I've got a feeling that post-coaches, our defence will be regarded as the best in the NHL.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Iron Chef

Per Capgeek, Vlasic does indeed have a full NTC. Also, his cap hit is 4.25, not 4.2

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:04 AM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Honest talk...is there a team with a better top 6 D than the Sharks? Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Stuart, Murray and Braun.
Relax. We added Brad Stuart, not Nick Lidstrom.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:10 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
From the looks of it, there are fewer players of worth in UFA. IMO, GMs are getting less trigger happy at trading off their worthwhile secondary players and/or those worthwhile secondary players are demanding longer contracts. And, GMs are locking up their top players longer and earlier. The further we go in the post lockout era (lower UFA age), the bigger the holes in the games of the players that do go on the market. Very few players like Suter and Parise hitting the market.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Per Capgeek, Vlasic does indeed have a full NTC. Also, his cap hit is 4.25, not 4.2
Wow, overpayment. ......

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:15 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.957thegame.com/pages/podcast/126148.rss

Podcast URL for interview with Vlasic today.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:38 AM
wishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.957thegame.com/pages/podcast/126148.rss

Podcast URL for interview with Vlasic today.
Admitted to MCL tear in the World Championships. I think its typically a 6-8 week injury so should be plenty of time to heal up for training camp.

It might have also put a little scare into him (said it was the 2nd time it has happened to him) and helped motivate him to sign an extension now rather than wait a year where this is always a risk for a more serious injury.

wishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:43 AM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
NTC for a Sharks player?

No way?!

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:09 AM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Yes. Within the Division Yotes and Kings assuming Voynov continues to develop.
lak is so good it hurts. if they manage to win doan, it's gg, such a ridiculously stacked team. kopitar, wililams, doan, carter richards brown, gagne penner richardson lewis, and then doughty/scuds, willie/voynov, amart/green, then quick/bernier.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:58 AM
Janney

Quote:
In San Jose and Detroit's case it's not a matter of an internal cap either, they'll spend to the ceiling if they have to. The GMs just don't like overspending on UFAs.

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:20 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

I need to leave the country more often if 3peats like this keep happening. awesome news seeing Pickles locked up long term.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:28 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharski View Post

who calls him Steady Eddie?
This was in a DP article earlier last season I think where he said Pickles new nickname was Eddie as in Steady Eddie.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:51 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
The last 5 have holes in their top 4 let alone top 6. Right now the sharks with all D healthy will have to bench someone who's a legit top 6 and should be playing. Right now the weak link is supposedly Demers who's injury was felt dramatically against Vancouver 2 seasons ago.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
lak is so good it hurts. if they manage to win doan, it's gg, such a ridiculously stacked team. kopitar, wililams, doan, carter richards brown, gagne penner richardson lewis, and then doughty/scuds, willie/voynov, amart/green, then quick/bernier.
The Kings are good but they aren't far and away best in the league type good. In all likelihood, Bernier is gone before the season starts which doesn't really matter except what the return may be. The other aspect is how much changes Darryl Sutter makes now that he'll have an entire camp and season and how that impacts the talent. There's a reason why teams don't repeat very often anymore and it's because the difference between teams is minimal now and even with perceived improvements, you're not ever going to really separate yourself from the league anymore.

I think the Kings will have a tough time next year adjusting to the target on their backs but I think they'll be in a better playoff position.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:43 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The Kings are good but they aren't far and away best in the league type good. In all likelihood, Bernier is gone before the season starts which doesn't really matter except what the return may be. The other aspect is how much changes Darryl Sutter makes now that he'll have an entire camp and season and how that impacts the talent. There's a reason why teams don't repeat very often anymore and it's because the difference between teams is minimal now and even with perceived improvements, you're not ever going to really separate yourself from the league anymore.

I think the Kings will have a tough time next year adjusting to the target on their backs but I think they'll be in a better playoff position.
The Kings will still be good but that is one of the teams among the 8 WC playoff teams last year that did not scare me. We match up well against them. We have not lost anyone significant from our roster (I do not consider Winnik a very big loss). We have made our coaching better (in theory).

I am still hoping for getting some speed in the top-6. That can make such a big difference for us.

07-12-2012, 11:12 AM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

Great signing. Well done.

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:15 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 50
Excellent contract for you, contracts.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:46 AM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

vCash: 1300
Army Soupy approves this.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:02 PM
TealTownUSA

atta boy pickles! good signing.

does everyone who signs contracts always add the full NTC in there? or is DW just a wuss?

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote