HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part X) - "I'm Doan waiting around for Nash" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
I'm gonna Stapleton your hands...
At first I thought he was Jochen, and I was like "What the Hecht?"

Old
07-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL889 View Post
Hes a top 6 winger at worst?

Just stop. The guy is an all star winger.

If one or or two teams he gets bumped down to another line because there happens to be an Marian Hossa type player already on the top line that doesnt make him just a "top 6 winger"
I guess Malkin is just a #2 center as well ;-)

Old
07-12-2012, 12:18 AM
jskramer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
There's no reason Dubinsky needs to be involved.

If it were Anisimov, my chart is showing our payroll at $64.9m with DZ and Stralman making a combined $4m. With Gaborik being out at the beginning of the season, we're fine. Cap Geek shows the same.
That is true, maybe its just me, I have trouble justifying adding 7.8 mill to our cap for Nash.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Barnaby

The general board may be asking for the world, but some of you are just completely over valuing some of these players to a ridiculous point. I know we all love home grown talent, but reality has to set in. I'm not down for a deal if it includes a guy like Stepan bc it creates too big of a hole at center - but guys are balking at Dubinsky/Aninsimov? Hagelin is a nice player as well, but c'mon...

Any two of those guys, a first, and a prospect and you take it and run.

Nash is a stud. 30 goals was an off year, in a place where everything went wrong... And would most likely still be enough to lead this team in scoring next year with Gabby out. It's Columbus so I can't blame if you haven't see much of him, but the guy is an amazing hockey player...

The deal - if it happens - is taking forever. It means Sather isn't budging on his package and letting Howson dictate terms...

Old
07-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Garden_Variety

I really think Howson is trying to wait out Nash thinking he will expand his list of teams...I don't think that's happening so its at a stalemate.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden_Variety View Post
I really think Howson is trying to wait out Nash thinking he will expand his list of teams...I don't think that's happening so its at a stalemate.
idk about that... do you honestly think the guy would rather stay in columbus when more than half the league has a better shot at getting him a ring?

basically it's a 3 way battle between sather, howson, and nash. i don't see any other team on his list coming close except maybe the flyers and that's just because their gm is flat out dumb. whoever lets up first decides where nash goes. howson means nyr, sather means nyr, nash means half the league becomes an option. sather is a vet at this he won't cave. will nash? howson hasn't yet, but imo he's getting closer and closer

Old
07-12-2012, 01:10 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Have their been any rumors/sources as to what Sather is currently offering?

Old
07-12-2012, 01:14 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Have their been any rumors/sources as to what Sather is currently offering?
just rumors right now. nothing i'd believe...

most recent i heard was stepan+hagelin for nash from espn radio, but really doubt it's legit. 1st/2nd line playmaking center is tough to come by and extremely important with skill wingers. another said del zotto, anisimov, dubinsky, and possibly a 1st from an even less credible source. really everybody is just guessing/speculating right now to kill time until somebody caves.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:20 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
just rumors right now. nothing i'd believe...

most recent i heard was stepan+hagelin for nash from espn radio, but really doubt it's legit. 1st/2nd line playmaking center is tough to come by and extremely important with skill wingers. another said del zotto, anisimov, dubinsky, and possibly a 1st from an even less credible source. really everybody is just guessing/speculating right now to kill time until somebody caves.

Like someone else said, Sather should give Howson a deadline to accept an offer of Dubinsky, one of Anisimov/Hagelin, a prospect, and a 1st, and if Howson doesn't comply, we move on.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:35 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Like someone else said, Sather should give Howson a deadline to accept an offer of Dubinsky, one of Anisimov/Hagelin, a prospect, and a 1st, and if Howson doesn't comply, we move on.
We don't know the personalities of the guys or the negotiations that have occurred. Perhaps Sather said: Here's our deal... Let me know when you want it... Or Howson said something crazy and Sather said to call back if he wanted to be realistic. For all we know, there speaking daily or haven't spoken since the draft. I trust Sather to stick to his guns and not cave...

Old
07-12-2012, 02:30 AM
eco's bones

Another way to look at Nash is value given to the Bluejackets for the contract he has--keeping in mind there's 6 more years. If we're just talking pure offense we might do just as well signing Semin without trading anybody in a Nash deal. We could get Semin cheaper and on a shorter term.

Nash's contract is a sticking point for me anyways. He hasn't shown that he's worth that much and what he might do here is not necessarily what he will do. We have quite a history--especially pre-lockout of players making more than they're worth. Since the lockout and the implementation of the cap into the picture these concerns have far more relevance. We've continued signing big names and many of them have not worked out so well. I remember the debate here over whether to sign Redden or Chara and at least half of this board preferred Redden. Add Drury, Gomez, Rozsival and basically we had painted ourselves into the corner--not getting good value for the money parlayed--and it affects the team. Granted that Nash has attained a status as a player higher than Drury, Gomez or Rozsival ever got--leaving out Redden who for some time at least verged on being elite--which is what Nash does.

One of the main reasons the Rangers have focused more on prospect development the last few years was necessity brought on by numerous over-generous free agent signings. Now we're going to trade away some of that developed/developing core for a guy who is making more than he should and has a long term left. It might work out very well--I don't know--but it might not work out as well hoped either. Then--what's the next move?

Old
07-12-2012, 03:25 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

It should be time to move on from this and look for other options. Wait for Doan. Explore other trade options. After that, sign the RFA's and get possibly another depth D signed. Promote from within after that. Look at Miller in camp. Same for Yogan, Thomas, and McIlrath, if he's healthy. Possibly have some other surprises: Wellman, Bourque, Kyle Jean, Hrivik. I'd rather see them promote the youth again than make a terrible trade for Nash or Ryan.

Old
07-12-2012, 04:06 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I think the hopes of Doan coming to Manhattan should be squashed. A lot of these rumors have him interested in staying out West and looking for a 4-5 year contract.

The man is 35 years old.

"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Old
07-12-2012, 04:25 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
It should be time to move on from this and look for other options. Wait for Doan. Explore other trade options. After that, sign the RFA's and get possibly another depth D signed. Promote from within after that. Look at Miller in camp. Same for Yogan, Thomas, and McIlrath, if he's healthy. Possibly have some other surprises: Wellman, Bourque, Kyle Jean, Hrivik. I'd rather see them promote the youth again than make a terrible trade for Nash or Ryan.
It's smart to look at all options, but it's foolish just to close the door. Why? Because its annoying as fans. If Sather pulls off a good hockey trade for Nash a month from now then I'm right on board.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:04 AM
UAGoalieGuy

The Rangers can barely afford trading two top nine players, let alone three. It's just not worth it.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:36 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
CONTRACT STATUS

Signed players for 2012/2013

NYR (20 - 2 on LTIR)
Derek Stepan - RFA 2013/2014
Artem Anisimov - RFA 2013/2014
Carl Hagelin - RFA 2013/2014
Jeff Halpern - UFA 2013/2014
Chris Kreider - RFA 2014/2015

Marian Gaborik (LTIR until December) - UFA 2014/2015
Ryan Callahan - UFA 2014/2015
Brian Boyle - UFA 2014/2015
Mike Rupp - UFA 2014/2015
Arron Asham - UFA 2014/2015
Taylor Pyatt - UFA 2014/2015
Brandon Dubinsky - UFA 2015/2016
Brad Richards - UFA into the 2020s

Ryan McDonaugh - RFA 2013/2014

Mike Sauer (LTIR indefinitely) - RFA 2013/2014
Stu Bickel - - UFA 2014/2015
Dan Girardi - UFA 2014/2015
Marc Staal - UFA 2015/2016

Henrik Lundqvist - UFA 2014/2015
Martin Biron - UFA 2014/2015

RFAs (2)
Michael del Zotto - Qualified and he will resign to a 2 to 3 year deal between 2,3 to 3 M per annum
Anton Stralman - Qualified - filed for arbitration and will resign( likely) a 2 year deal between $1,1m to 1,5m

CT Whale/ECHL (23 - one on LTIR)
Chad Kolarik - UFA 2013/2014
Tommy Grant - RFA 2013/2014
Ryan Bourque - RFA 2014/2015
Micheal Haley - UFA 2014/2015
Kris Newbury - UFA 2014/2015
Kyle Jean - RFA 2014/2015 ??
Brandon Segal - UFA 2014/2015 ??
Andrew Yogan - RFA 2015/2016
Marek Hrivik - RFA 2014/2015
Jason Wilson - RFA 2014/2015
Christian Thomas - RFA 2015/2016
Casey Wellman - qualified

Mike Vernace - UFA 2013/2014
Blake Parlett - RFA 2013/2014
Jyri Niemi - RFA 2013/2014
Logan Pyett - RFA 2013/2014 ??
Sean Collins - UFA 2014/2015 ??
Tim Erixon - RFA 2014/2015 (graduates to NYR?)
Wade Redden - UFA 2014/2015

Dylan McIllraith - RFA 2015/2016 - presently on LTIR

Jason Missiaen - RFA 2014/2015
Scott Stacjer - RFA 2014/2015

Cameron Talbot - qualified

Dark Horse - Jr eligible (contract slides and does not count against 50 player limit if he stays in juniors)
JT Miller - RFA 2015/2016

Players signed but Loaned to a European club (2)
Jesper Fast - RFA 2015/2016
Oscar Lindberg - RFA 2015/2016

Players qualified (rights retained) - but playing in Europe and do not count against 50 player limit
Mats Zuccarello - Was qualified but has signed 2 year deal with KHL team with NHL out clause
Pavel Valentenko - Qualified but signed in Russia to a 2 year deal. Rights retained

Unsigned Draft picks
Steve Fogarty (3rd round - 2011)
Michael St Croix (4th round - 2011)
Shane McColgan (5th round - 2011)
Sam Noreau (5th round - 2011)
Peter Ceresnak (6th round - 2011)

Brady Skjei (1st round - 2012)
Cristoval "Boo" Nieves (2nd round - 2012)
Calle Andersson (4th round - 2012)
Thomas Spelling (5th round - 2012)

LEFT NYR ORGANISATION

RFAs
Francis Bouchard - let go (a bad return for Kundratek - no?)
Chris Chappell - gone
Andreas Thuresson - left for Sweden and not qualified

Lee Baldwin - gone
Sam Klassen - gone

UFAs
Ruslan Fedotenko - gone (signed with Philadelphia)
Brandon Prust - gone (signed with Montreal)
John Mitchell - gone (signed with Colorado)

Sean Avery - on the catwalk - retires?
Andre Deaveaux - gone (signed with Florida)
JAM - gone - signed by Columbus
Randy McNaught - let go

Steve Eminger - most likely gone
Jeff Woywitka - gone (signed with St Louis)
John Scott - gone - signed with Buffalo

Brendan Bell - probably let go
Chad Johnson - gone - signed with Phoenix

We now have 20 players under contract on The Rangers. 2 of these are on the LTIR (Gaborik and Sauer) to start the season. Two of our RFAs qualified (MDZ and Stralman) and both will most likely be signed... Bringing the squad to 22 player with 2 on LTIR to start the year. And to be clear, there is still huge capspace still available after RFAs are signed ($15,7 M without Haley, our two RFAs and Erixon but with a $70,2 m cap ceiling). If DelZotto and Stralman cost $4 m and Erixon graduates we would have around $10 m available with the $70,2 m cap... And 21 players on roster ( incl LTIR players salary + Drurys buyout $$).
23 players are now signed minor league contracts - whereof two that have received qualifying offers (Wellman and Talbot) and are not formally signed yet. Not yet sure on the status of contracts to Brandon Segal, Kyle Jean, Sean Collins or Logan Pyatt.
One more player is signed to ELC (JT Miller) but he is still junior eligible, eventually letting that contract slide above 50 player limit. 2 players are also signed but loaned to European clubs (Fast and Lindberg) counting against the 50 player contract limit.
We have ( with RFAs) 22 contracts in the NHL, up to 23 contracts in the minor leagues and 2 loaned to Europe. Total of 47. Plus JT Miller. But not really sure all minor league contracts cout against the 50 contract limit.
We have some unsigned draft picks that probably will get ELC contracts sometime this year.
Still looking to pick up one player for NYR - but the pickings are slim. Maybe someone thought to be on the AHL roster takes this spot. Or a surprise camp invitee? Or, OmG, the speculated "upgrade trade"? Or maybe Redden gets his NYR roster space back instead of a compliance buyout - there is capspace for this
Time will tell...

Last edited by BBKers: 07-12-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old
07-12-2012, 06:06 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Asked a reliable source in Colorado this week about Mueller and his response was: Too slow, no passion.
https://twitter.com/sportsnetbroph/s...68506353926144

Mueller has a history of concussions.

Not a very good combination.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
I'm not making assumptions. I said his stats declined in each of the last three years. That's not an assumption. That is a fact.

He scored 40 with Malhotra four years ago. Four years ago. Four years ago.

He scored 30 with Derrick Brassarrd last year. You're telling me Malhotra is a better playmaker than Brassard? Brassard outscored Nash last year on the PP.

"ECHL'ers"?????? Vinny Prospal the ECHL'er outscored Nash at even strength....for the entire season.

More Failed Logic.

You bring up "lost motivation". Wow, what a great leadership trait from a captain. "My team stinks, so I won't play as hard".

Can you please prove to me how he isn't on the decline. Pretty please? With sugar on top?
Because he's 28 mother****ing years old! He's in his prime! Jesus Christ how come I don't see you going after Richards, who's as old as a WWII vet and declined last year and has a million years left on his contract????? Pretty please with no ******** on top?

Last edited by Hollywood Hulk Hogan: 07-12-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old
07-12-2012, 06:12 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

A couple of points -

1). There is no reason for Sather to give an ultimatum to Howson and walk away. Just because the fans are impatient because it's already July 12, and the roster is not set in stone, so panic attacks are breaking out, it does not mean Sather has to fold in this bluffing game. Sather has his price....he'll remain patient and get Nash at that price eventually.

2). The Rangers most certainly can afford to move two roster forwards for Nash...as long as those roster forwards are not named Kreider or Stepan. Nash is going to replace one of the players headed out. Whomever out of Dubi, Anisimov or Hagelin stays can temporarily replace Gaborik in the top six, and move down when he returns. There are still ample 3rd line forwards on he market available to replace the other departing player.

3). Why would the Rangers want Brassard in the deal? If Nash struggled with Brassard as his center in Columbus, what makes anyone think it would work here? The idea of bringing Nash to the Rangers is that he'd play with either Richards or Stepan, two skilled playmaking centers.

4). I want Columbus' 3rd round pick in the 2013 draft coming in the deal with Nash, just to add to the collection.

Last edited by jas: 07-12-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old
07-12-2012, 06:20 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I love people complaining about the Rangers and their lack of activity. The free agent market sucked. The Rangers have made bad decisions in free agency which has come back to haunt them in previous years. Jiri Hudler got $16M over 4 years. Sami Salo got $7.5M over 2 years and its a 35 plus contract. Matt Carle got $33M over 6 years.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:31 AM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I love people complaining about the Rangers and their lack of activity. The free agent market sucked. The Rangers have made bad decisions in free agency which has come back to haunt them in previous years. Jiri Hudler got $16M over 4 years. Sami Salo got $7.5M over 2 years and its a 35 plus contract. Matt Carle got $33M over 6 years.
I agree, patience is a virtue here

Old
07-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
That contract for Carle is crazy.

Most of the contracts from this FA class are crazy.

Old
07-12-2012, 07:13 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Lmfao @ the new thread title. Epic!
They have been great all summer!

Old
07-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Dactyl*
stats are pure CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Because he's 28 mother****ing years old! He's in his prime! Jesus Christ how come I don't see you going after Richards, who's as old as a WWII vet and declined last year and has a million years left on his contract????? Pretty please with no ******** on top?
brads like 3 years older and on a steep decline? chill out bud

Old
07-12-2012, 07:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Besides Justin Schultz,there was no player worth pursuing really hard. Parise and Suter didn't want to play in NY for different reasons. Schultz wanted to play in Canada.

Closed Thread