HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy (Part X) - "I'm Doan waiting around for Nash" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG View Post
Are you Dolan's accountant?

It's not your ****ing cap.

That's just ****ing irritating.
It effects us all as fans to take on that behemoth contract - the longterm implications of the team are at risk. Lay off the guy just because he doesnt sign the checks.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:00 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Rangers are not trading Stepan.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:03 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Gosh, this scares me. Nevesis, this may be the case for you or for me. You cannot use this to support a Nash acquisition. Maybe Nash isn't wired this way. Those factors shouldn't be a consideration for the pro or anti-Nash crowd??? What would a newly renovated MSG have to do with a players production? What about the 41 games on the road? We need a top 6 player but not a bad contract that will limit the Rangers from signing their own players in a few years. We don't "need" Nash. We "need" a player that will score 20-30 goals on the second line, be defensively responsible, who will not kill the Rangers cap space.
Its called a 'change of scenery'

Rick Nash is built differently. He is a tough, canadian kid who has all the hockey talent in the world. He has played in a small market his entire life, with a **** team and STILL produced. Not to mention, he's played on the big stage in the worlds/olympics and had no issues.

He is a total pro. Some guys aren't built like him, but he has all the tools. He would walk right in here, and be a threat every time he is on the ice. We need secondary scoring, but with Gaborik out for a little bit, we're going to need one true threat at the least. When he comes back, ALL the better with both of them out there.

Dubsinky and Anisimov are garbage. If we can snag Nash for those two roster players and some other stuff, you do it any day of the week. Nash's cap doesn't hurt as bad, as long as Dubi is moved. The extra money is worth what his production/talent/skill level will bring here.

Everyone tweet @GMScottHowson and tell him to get his head out of his ass!

Old
07-12-2012, 10:04 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Cerny indicated JT Miller is not far from being NHL ready. Miller will probably begin next season in the AHL. That was the indication from the chat yesterday. Gorton and Clark have said Miller will determine where he plays next season. Plymouth. Whale. If Miller is ready to play at some point next season or in 13-14,he replaces one of the forwards (in the long range plan)lost in a trade giving up 2 roster players.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Slats' offer is decreasing each week. His offer was never going to get higher than what he allegedly put on the table at the deadline. I'd be willing to bet that once we missed out on Schultz, Erixon was yanked from the offer. Given Miller's solid showing at camp, I wouldn't be surprised if he raised his stock enough that the brass decided to pull him out of the deal as well.

Flyers have nothing to deal. Sharks have nothing to deal. Canes used their assets on Staal. Boston is right against the cap. Detroit is in the same division. All of Howson's bargaining chips have come and gone. Craig Patrick is doing a great job of mentoring him right into the unemployment line.
Yeah, Craig Patrick's pride didn't do him any favors with the Jagr deal. Not a single asset he got out of that trade was worth a ****, and he made other similarly horrible trades like Zubov for Kevin Hatcher.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Pizza

Ask yourselves how many Big Name or well respected players have come to the Rangers and been exactly $4!T or way less than expected?

While I am not completely opposed to this deal on the best possible terms, the word "lock" should never, ever be used in connection with a player being acquired by this franchise.

Slats is working Howson Anaconda style. This is a good player, but not a leader and no pedigree for winning....anything. Don't under estimate ease of transition from Columbus, Ohio to 10001. Very different culture, expectations....pressure every night to be your best. That will figure into Slat's thinking.

Bank on it.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Cerny indicated JT Miller is not far from being NHL ready. Miller will probably begin next season in the AHL. That was the indication from the chat yesterday. Gorton and Clark have said Miller will determine where he plays next season. Plymouth. Whale. If Miller is ready to play at some point next season or in 13-14,he replaces one of the forwards (in the long range plan)lost in a trade giving up 2 roster players.
There are less than a handful of prospects I do not want included in this deal and J.T. Miller is one of them.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Vitto79

yea I think Miller can pull a Hagelin this yr. He's already big enough and can play LW and C.

Its weird how a few yrs make a difference but Dubinsky and Anisimov are the logical players to be moved. They are still young and should have some value to a team that would be willing to do a 2 for 1 plus picks/prospect type deal

I am just waiting for the blanks to be filled
Dubinsky and Anisimov
for
scoring LW and picks/prospect

Whether we like it or not the C depth that Torts wants is Richards, Stepan, Boyle, Halpern

kind of iffy if Pyatt is a 3rd liner but again the 4th line is set with Rupp, Halpern, Asham so you have to think Pyatt replaces Dubi/AA or the 3rd line with Hagelin and Boyle............2nd line is set with Kreider, Stepan ,Cally

They really just need that 1 LW for Richards and Gaborik

again I want Ryan Clowe and SJ looks like a team that needs more roster players if you take a look at capgeek.com ........ Rangers need more than just Clowe who is a UFA at season end but I still see a deal to be made there.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah, Craig Patrick's pride didn't do him any favors with the Jagr deal. Not a single asset he got out of that trade was worth a ****, and he made other similarly horrible trades like Zubov for Kevin Hatcher.
The issue is that Patrick made some pretty savvy moves in his career, but those plays have always been overshadowed by some downright garbage moves like the two you mentioned and the Naslund deal. At this point I think it's safe to say he's looking for the home run so he can step in and say he was the architect behind the deal that rebuilt the Jackets in one summer. Probably still trying to stick it to the Rangers as well.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:16 AM
azaloum90

sean avery... where is he?!

Unlike most people I really like this guys style of play.. he is a tool no doubt but the dude can score for sure.

I see on NHL.com website that he is a free agent under the rangers. Also saw that he said he was retiring but later attempted to retract the statement saying he was joking.

Any chance the rangers will sign him again? We need another ball buster on the team!

Old
07-12-2012, 10:17 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Oh boy this is going to be locked fast.

Avery's skates are at the bottom of the Hudson river. He's done.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Unlike most people I really like this guys style of play.. he is a tool no doubt but the dude can score for sure.

I see on NHL.com website that he is a free agent under the rangers. Also saw that he said he was retiring but later attempted to retract the statement saying he was joking.

Any chance the rangers will sign him again? We need another ball buster on the team!
When did that happen?

Old
07-12-2012, 10:23 AM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Its called a 'change of scenery'

Rick Nash is built differently. He is a tough, canadian kid who has all the hockey talent in the world. He has played in a small market his entire life, with a **** team and STILL produced. Not to mention, he's played on the big stage in the worlds/olympics and had no issues.

He is a total pro. Some guys aren't built like him, but he has all the tools. He would walk right in here, and be a threat every time he is on the ice. We need secondary scoring, but with Gaborik out for a little bit, we're going to need one true threat at the least. When he comes back, ALL the better with both of them out there.

Dubsinky and Anisimov are garbage. If we can snag Nash for those two roster players and some other stuff, you do it any day of the week. Nash's cap doesn't hurt as bad, as long as Dubi is moved. The extra money is worth what his production/talent/skill level will bring here.

Everyone tweet @GMScottHowson and tell him to get his head out of his ass!
nevesis - I respect your opinion and your knowledge. Nothing here is guaranteed. How can you make such a declaration. Rick Nash is built differently? He is a tough Canadian kid? I think any Canadian player that has the talent to play in the NHL fits that bill. The fact that he is Canadian is neither a pro or a con. Nash is a total pro? So is anyone playing in the NHL or AHL for that matter which is considered pro hockey. Look nevesis, please read this as friendly as tone as possible as I am not trying to be confrontational. I see no evidence that what you state as fact. Trading for Rick Nash is a huge gamble.

Would I trade Dubinsky and Anisimov for Nash - yes. Every day of the week and twice a day!

I wouldn't call them garbage though.

nevesis - this is not a personal attack. I like hearing the pro-Nash stuff but I think Nash's status in this league is force fed by the media and the pro-Nash crowd are basing their opinions on media driven hype. Nash is a very good player but not great. I don't know how a change of scenery would affect him. I don't know him personally to remark on how he is built or if he has leadership qualities. Columbus writers believe he isn't a leader and is not a dominant player. If he becomes a Ranger, I pray I am wrong and will acknowledge such. I just don't see it.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If there is one thing I have learned in the years of following this league, it is never to expect a player older than 23-24 to increase their production upon being traded/signed by you. They are what they are for the most part.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:28 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post

Let it go man

Old
07-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
When did that happen?
3 goals in 76 games during his last full season.

Avery's entire career reminds me of this quote from Major League:

Rick Vaughn: thought you had to do something good to be a celebrity.

Jake Taylor: Not if you do it colorfully.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
This team used to be a place stars came to die. Then we developed a winning atmosphere and hard work ethic. Now it's a place for guys like Richards, Gaborik and Lundqvist to thrive. Being afraid of the past isn't the mentality we should have.

As far as Nash not wanting to be blown up larger than life, good for him. Shows he isn't in love with his ego. Our very own Brad Richards said the same kind of things last summer. While the Rangers are a big deal to us and the media does a good job covering them in the grand scheme of New York sports they're over shadowed. Nash could easily lay low off the ice and be a star on it.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
This team used to be a place stars came to die. Then we developed a winning atmosphere and hard work ethic. Now it's a place for guys like Richards, Gaborik and Lundqvist to thrive. Being afraid of the past isn't the mentality we should have.

As far as Nash not wanting to be blown up larger than life, good for him. Shows he isn't in love with his ego. Our very own Brad Richards said the same kind of things last summer. While the Rangers are a big deal to us and the media does a good job covering them in the grand scheme of New York sports they're over shadowed. Nash could easily lay low off the ice and be a star on it.
I do not agree with this.

What was the word most often used by and about Brad Richards last season?

Old
07-12-2012, 10:39 AM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
He said cap, not payroll. It's about the team's ability to maintain a deep roster, which is something that, as fans, affects every one of us.
Talk about symantics (sp?) OK fine is he in the front office?

My point is it isn't his cap. I peeve this hard.

99% of us that post here do not work for the Rangers. We root for them, yes.

Some pay money to watch them.

And if you do as much as you may think I am an ass for saying this:

It still isn't your cash/cap. Do you think McD's or BK or Nordstrom's cares what they do with your dollars? Do you think they think of it as your money once they have it?

Sports are a business,too. Those who pay to watch it obv, its your business to do so.

But they don't care about you personally, they care about your money.

Sorry if I got a little ranty.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:39 AM
DutchShamrock

The nash debate should be about what he is and if it puts the team in a position to win. No ifs, no projects based on linemates. If its accepted that we need a scorer, it comes down to availability and costs. I think we can get Nash at a relative steal, on Sather's terms while keeping Miller and Erixon. It doesn't happen otherwise, certainly not with Stepan.

UFA options are overpaid. Stars in a Ryan or kessler position cost a premium.

I think we can move contracts later to sign our core. Sather hasn't lost a ranger free agent or core guy because of redden, drury or gomez.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:42 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
nevesis - I respect your opinion and your knowledge. Nothing here is guaranteed. How can you make such a declaration. Rick Nash is built differently? He is a tough Canadian kid? I think any Canadian player that has the talent to play in the NHL fits that bill. The fact that he is Canadian is neither a pro or a con. Nash is a total pro? So is anyone playing in the NHL or AHL for that matter which is considered pro hockey. Look nevesis, please read this as friendly as tone as possible as I am not trying to be confrontational. I see no evidence that what you state as fact. Trading for Rick Nash is a huge gamble.

Would I trade Dubinsky and Anisimov for Nash - yes. Every day of the week and twice a day!

I wouldn't call them garbage though.

nevesis - this is not a personal attack. I like hearing the pro-Nash stuff but I think Nash's status in this league is force fed by the media and the pro-Nash crowd are basing their opinions on media driven hype. Nash is a very good player but not great. I don't know how a change of scenery would affect him. I don't know him personally to remark on how he is built or if he has leadership qualities. Columbus writers believe he isn't a leader and is not a dominant player. If he becomes a Ranger, I pray I am wrong and will acknowledge such. I just don't see it.
No offense taken, I completely respect your opinion.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:47 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:

It still isn't your cash/cap. Do you think McD's or BK or Nordstrom's cares what they do with your dollars? Do you think they think of it as your money once they have it?

Sports are a business,too. Those who pay to watch it obv, its your business to do so.

You're the one arguing semantics. When people use the possessive to refer to a sports team they mean it in the sense of it being the team they identify with. It has nothing to do with any sense that ownership cares about our specific thoughts. Talking about the team's cap situation is directly relevant to the performance of the team, and therefore directly relevant to us as fans (particularly as fans who devote a lot of their free time to following the team).

RANGERS =
Old
07-12-2012, 10:47 AM
nsvoyageurs

I do think Nash coming to the NYR (if that happens), playing on a better team with better teammates would give him a little extra oomph in his game, it gives him something to play for.

Either Howson has completely misread the trade market, has an axe to grind against the NYR and/Sather, he is getting really bad advise, he has no business being an NHL General Manager, or he's an idiot. He's getting counsel from Craig Patrick, who has his own axe to grind against the NYR going back to when they fired him back in the mid-1980's. He's probably telling Howson don't trade Nash to the Rangers under any circumstance. Howson should take the best offer, no matter what team it comes from, including the NYR. Just because you're taking advise from Patrick doesn't mean you should do everything he tells you.

That said, I'm not at all unhappy that this has taken longer than most people want. You just stay patient, watch the alternatives evaporate and the leverage goes to you all the more. Or, better yet, see if there are better options. Though if you hang on to this, better options can slip away.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:02 AM
LongIslandHockey36

Bottom line is: NYR is in much better shape in terms of potential trades/FAs compared to just about anyone in the league.

If only the Islanders had Sather, but we are stuck with the other S.... who just so happens to suck big time at his job.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Quote:

Actually it's the way you look at it.

I grew up watching the Rangers religiously and when it was my bed time I'd hide under my blankets with a hand radio and listen in to the rest of the game. I thought about the Rangers at school, doodling in a little notebook all the line combos I could think of. My dad would take me to Ranger games on the weekends until i got old enough to start taking him.
My son's first word was "goal".

When I was a kid i couldn't imagine even being a fan of this team after players like Messier, Graves, Gartner, and Richter were gone. But alas, they parted, and I grew to love the new players. I finally realized that it was the team that I was cheering for and as soon as you put on a Ranger jersey you were part of the team.

I guess what I'm trying to say (as one of those people who say "we" and "ours") is that the Rangers aren't just a team I root for man, they're an extension of my family. So yes. I can understand why people say "our cap".

Closed Thread