HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Cup Engraving Timeframe

Old
06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

vCash: 500
Cup Engraving Timeframe

I was curious when it would happen, so I'm sure others are as well.

Last season the Bruins names were added around the early to mid-September time frame, so that's when to expect that the Cup will have the 2011-2012 Kings added.

There are 2 Cups... the "real" one that's gone from the HHOF 300 days a year traveling around the country, and the stand-in replica that's at the HHOF when the real one is out and about. I'm assuming both are engraved around the same time.

In case you're ever curious if you're staring at the real Cup or not, check the engraving for the 1984 Edmonton Oilers. The authenticated version has x's engraved over Basil Pocklington's name whereas his name is completely missing from the replica version.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
In case you're ever curious if you're staring at the real Cup or not, check the engraving for the 1984 Edmonton Oilers. The authenticated version has x's engraved over Basil Pocklington's name whereas his name is completely missing from the replica version.
What's the backstory on that?

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
What's the backstory on that?
I was curious about that too, so I looked it up...where else? Wikipedia.

Quote:
Stanley Cup engraving
Each team was required to play 20 players out of a 24 man roster. Edmonton Oilers only engraved 21 players on the Stanley Cup. They left off 4 players who were dressed in the playoffs.
Basil Pocklington was engraved on the Stanley Cup in 1984. He was Peter Pocklington's father not a member of the Edmonton Oilers. The NHL XXX'd his name out. NHL created a new ring in 1993, with winners from 1979 to 1991, without Basil Pocklington's name on it. When the cup returned to Hockey Hall of Fame the abandoned ring had been damaged and could not be put back on the Stanley Cup. So the Hockey Hall Fame had Basil Pocklington's name put on the newly created Stanley Cup ring, then XXX'd out his name again. The Hockey Hall of Fame did not have Basil Pocklington's name added to the replica Stanley Cup also created in 1993.

On the new ring EDMONTON was misspelled DDMONTON. An "E" was stamped twice over the first "D" to correct the mistake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Stanley_Cup_Finals

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:14 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Love that stuff... they'll probably misspell Brad Richardson's name as "Richarson" .. just like on his jersey.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Whiskeypete

http://www.hhof.com/htmlSilverware/silver_stFFFs.shtml

http://www.hhof.com/htmlSTCjournal/exSCJ06_34.shtml

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:39 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

BTW... the keeper of the Cup mentioned it on KCAL today - Once the Kings names are engraved, they'll be on the Cup for 57 years.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:38 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
BTW... the keeper of the Cup mentioned it on KCAL today - Once the Kings names are engraved, they'll be on the Cup for 57 years.
It's been a while since I've been to the HHoF, I need to get down there one of these days. The building itself is beautiful and they rotate the exhibits which is great because they have so much stuff.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Jebby

Quote:

There are 2 Cups... the "real" one that's gone from the HHOF 300 days a year traveling around the country, and the stand-in replica that's at the HHOF when the real one is out and about. I'm assuming both are engraved around the same time.
There are actually three Stanley Cups: the original bowl, the authenticated Cup, and the replica at the Hall of Fame. The original bowl, purchased by Lord Stanley and physically awarded to the champion until 1970, is now displayed in the vault room at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, Ontario.

The authenticated version or "Presentation Cup" was created in 1963 by Montreal silversmith Carl Petersen. NHL president Clarence Campbell felt that the original bowl was becoming too thin and fragile, and thus requested a duplicate trophy as a replacement.

The Presentation Cup is authenticated by the seal of the Hockey Hall of Fame on the bottom, which can be seen when winning players lift the Cup over their heads, and it is the one currently awarded to the champions of the playoffs and used for promotions. This version was made in secret, and its production was only revealed three years later.

The replica trophy, called the "Replica Cup", was created in 1993 by Montreal silversmith Louise St. Jacques to be used as a stand-in at the Hockey Hall of Fame whenever the Presentation Cup is not available for display. There are very few differences between the authenticated version and the replica version.

Jebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Tadite

Did we ever find out what names are going on the cup?

Did Lokti make it?

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:10 PM
EmperorPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Did we ever find out what names are going on the cup?

Did Lokti make it?
I don't think we'll know the names until they are actually approved and stamped on the cup. I believe that happens after all the players/staff have had the cup for the summer. I forget the actual time period, but I believe in the Stanley Cup book I have at home it says after the summer, before the banner ceremony. So, training camp..?

I don't believe Lokti has met the actual requirement to get his name on the cup which I believe is 41 regular season games or 1 game in the finals, but teams are always getting exemptions. He should get his name on the cup over someone like Westgarth.

EmperorPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote