HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

11'/12' Offseason/Trades/Proposals: FOR CRYING OUT LOUD WHERE ARE THE RUMORS!??

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2012, 09:41 AM
mydnyte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
I'm curious as to what people think our D would look like if we did trade/buy out Komisarek? Would you all not agree it would be the softest defence in professional hockey? Yes, this includes AHL and overseas.
this is hockey not football ...how 'soft' is Detroits defense? ...at least we have Dion, their comparable is 5'11" Kronwall

Defense is all about positioning, and hockey smarts, and the 2 reasons Schenn didnt succeed here.

Holzer is the plugin sandpaper d-man

Dion - Gunner
Franson - Liles
Gardiner - Holzer

sans Komi

Old
07-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium trigger View Post
Smid, gagne
For franson, MAC, bozak and a 3rd

Please no...

Old
07-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium trigger View Post
Smid, gagne
For franson, MAC, bozak and a 3rd
This in one of those deals that neither side would do.

Why would Edmonton do this? They can't afford to lose Smid, especially for a pile of mediocre coming the other way.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Budsfan

Frankly I think we will see the Komisarek, that we signed for his toughness and hard-hitting, under Carlyle's system.

Holzer may not be Schenn but should be a good back up.

I don't think we need to add a defenceman, either through trade or F/A to bolster the defence, we have some pretty good prospects on the Marlies, that could fill the bill.

The real need is at center, although JVR has said he will try to become that center, he may not succeed and we will have to plug Bozak back into the #1 spot.

I would like to see just what we have in-goal in Reimer and Scrivens, if we did get a goal tender now, he would likely not be the #1 goal tender, he would be a back up to Reimer, so lets see what Scrivens can do as back up and if the tandem does fall apart, then get a fill in-goal tender but in all likelihood again, Carlyle's system should cut down on the opposing teams chances.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm curious as to what people think our D would look like if we did trade/buy out Komisarek? Would you all not agree it would be the softest defence in professional hockey? Yes, this includes AHL and overseas.
I looked at the hits of our defensemen this past season compared to the cup champs LA and the runner up NJD. We largely out hit them. I know hitting isn't the tell all tale about physicality but with our defensemen draft picks this year, it seems like they are moving towards having fast high IQ defensemen who with their positioning and foreseeing the play will be able to do just as effective of a job if not better. We also largely out hit the defense that Burke had when he won the cup. Even with Komi + Schenn gone our guys still hit more.

Toronto
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats
LA
NJD
Anaheim cup win

Old
07-12-2012, 10:41 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
How are we gonna possibly jam in more bottom 6 forwards?

Just to make room for Kadri and Frattin onto our lineup, we will need to dump one or both of Lombardi/Connolly.

Until we can do that, I hope we don't sign any bottom 6 players.
This is the real issue. After they move the players that aren't in the clubs future they have to decide where Frattin and Kadri fit-and Kule. A 2nd line spot and two 3rd line winger spots up for grabs if Komorov is a 4th line player. Are they considering adding a higher end talent? If they add a bigger set of elbows to the 3rd line then maybe only 2 of them have spots.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Our group of forwards as of now:

Kessel
Lupul
Bozak
Kulemin
Macarthur
JVR
Grabo

Connolly
Lombardi
Frattin
Brown
Steckel
Mcclement
Komarov
Kadri

Bolded players are "locks" to be on the team if they're still around at the start of the season. That's 6 players competing for 3 spots upfront. I can see Burke moving a body or two (or burying Lombardi/Connolly in the minors), or both to give guys like Kadri more of a chance.

Trading Macarthur seems like a pretty good idea IMO. Especially if we can get something like a 2nd + a decent prospect in return.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:57 AM
pspot

JVR being able to play #1 would be a big break for a lot of people
Kadri has a spot in the top 6 as i don't think he can or should be in the bottom 6
Frattin can play bottom 6 with his physical game

Lupul/JVR/Kessel
Kadri/Grabo/Kulemin
Mac/Bozak/Frattin

Still a lack of size IMO but I think it works for the start of the season

If JVR can't play C which i think is asking a lot of the kid then that my spell bad news for Kadri unless he can but that might be even more of a long shot

Old
07-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I think we suspect Burke was interested in Colin Wilson when he was talking to the Flyers and Preds before Schenn was dealt.

Once a player is on the block, it is difficult to take him off the block.

Preds are around 6 billion away from the cap floor. Okay, 14 with Weber to sign, so say 6 million from the floor.

With Suter gone, could Komisarek be enticed to waive to join up with Weber? No that's not the deal, just part of the dea.

They are not using C.Wilson as a center, so it wouldn't have to be a center going back.

Komisarek+MacArthur
for
C.Wilson

MacArthur would add some offense, Komisarek and Trotz system might be a fit.

Franson and a conditional 2nd. in 2014
for
C.Wilson

Did they really value Franson, or was he expendable because they wanted him gone anyway?
The bargaining chip to bring Wilson to Toronto was Schenn. BUrke ended up getting JVR instead.

Despite how down people were on Schenn he still had a lot more value then a package of CMac & Komi because of the upside Schenn has, his age, very low injury concerns and how nice his contract was relative to the upside/downside in terms of cap hit and years.

If your looking at getting someone like C. Wilson look for Gunnarson to be included. Or if your going to throw in Komisarek as the Dman going to Nashville be prepared for Kadri to also be going the other way.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
This is the real issue. After they move the players that aren't in the clubs future they have to decide where Frattin and Kadri fit-and Kule. A 2nd line spot and two 3rd line winger spots up for grabs if Komorov is a 4th line player. Are they considering adding a higher end talent? If they add a bigger set of elbows to the 3rd line then maybe only 2 of them have spots.
I think the last 3 winger spots in the top 9 should go to Frattin, Kadri, and Kulemin [assuming JVR goes back to wing]. Who fits where will be based on what Carlyle wants to do with the Grabo line.

I think both of them really need full time duties in the NHL now. They've done very well in the AHL for a couple seasons now, and I feel its time for them to take the next step. They might struggle early on, but I think it will be better for their development.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:15 AM
number72

The most common rumours involve Macarthur, Bozak, Kadri, Kulemin, Connolly and Lombardi from the leafs. And on the other end are players like Getzlaf, Ryan, Statsny, Marleau, Luongo and Wilson.

I don't think dominoes will fall until Nash and maybe Ryan are traded and Semin signs which forces teams to shed salary (and other teams to reach cap floor). At this point, it is waiting game for Nash.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:19 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I looked at the hits of our defensemen this past season compared to the cup champs LA and the runner up NJD. We largely out hit them. I know hitting isn't the tell all tale about physicality but with our defensemen draft picks this year, it seems like they are moving towards having fast high IQ defensemen who with their positioning and foreseeing the play will be able to do just as effective of a job if not better. We also largely out hit the defense that Burke had when he won the cup. Even with Komi + Schenn gone our guys still hit more.

Toronto
LA
NJD
Anaheim cup win
Some people argue many hits are a good thing because it intimidates the opposition.
Other argue too many hits are a bad thing because it leaves the defender out of position and can lead to scoring chances.

The thing that is important with hits is the defenders hockey IQ to know when it is smart to take the body and when it is smart to defend against scoring chance. Schenn still has time to learn this but Komisarek I think at this point is too old and slow a dog to teach this trick.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
The most common rumours involve Macarthur, Bozak, Kadri, Kulemin, Connolly and Lombardi from the leafs. And on the other end are players like Getzlaf, Ryan, Statsny, Marleau, Luongo and Wilson.

I don't think dominoes will fall until Nash and maybe Ryan are traded and Semin signs which forces teams to shed salary (and other teams to reach cap floor). At this point, it is waiting game for Nash.
I think we'll see "dominoes" fall rather quickly if Semin choses to sign with the Pens. Rangers need scoring, and the Flyers seem to be intersted in a scoring winger as well.

It will most probably start an arms race in that division. At the end of the day, I see Semin going to the Pens, Ryan to Philly, and Nash to the Rangers.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:33 AM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
JVR being able to play #1 would be a big break for a lot of people
Kadri has a spot in the top 6 as i don't think he can or should be in the bottom 6
Frattin can play bottom 6 with his physical game

Lupul/JVR/Kessel
Kadri/Grabo/Kulemin
Mac/Bozak/Frattin

Still a lack of size IMO but I think it works for the start of the season

If JVR can't play C which i think is asking a lot of the kid then that my spell bad news for Kadri unless he can but that might be even more of a long shot
Kadri most likely will be on the 3rd line. The planning for next year has aleady stated the need for a top 9 instead of 6, and so the 2nd would be more of a shut down line with offence and the 3rd would be another scoring line seeing less minutes. That is the perfect place for kadri and frattin, especially if they plan on kadri in the middle, which I doubt. You can't bob him up and down between nhl and ahl for 2 years and than just throw him on the top line in the most responsible role, its too much too soon, and he needs to earn that possition away from bozak

Old
07-12-2012, 11:45 AM
devilishleafs

I think its time for these guys to go somewhere else (Macarthur,Connolly and Lombardi) and if Burke can swing it get a playmaking center. Bozak can be one of two options: He plays wing on the 3rd line or gets traded in a package with the others for a #1C. With all the youth coming up from the CHL and the young kids from the AHL its time to ship out the extras and dead weight. Honestly there isnt any room for the centers mentioned and Mac has one year left so add him in a package to get what the Leafs really need a #1C.

Lupal-?/JVR-Kessel
Kule/JVR/?-Grabo-Frattin/Kadri
Bozak/?-McClement-Frattin/Kadri
Brown-Steckel-Komarov/Ross/Devane

Gunnarr-Phan
Holzer-Gardin
Franson-Liles

Komi and Fraser,..possibly Blacker

Reimer/Scrivens

So its a matter of getting rid of some bad contracts and getting some youth in. It depends if Burke trades for a big winger and a centre, now if he can pull it off that remains to be seen.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
I see this as the best possible line-combos with what we have right now:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Frattin/Kadri
Kulemin-Connolly-Macarthur
Mcclement-Steckel-Brown
Komarov

Connolly will be difficult to move this off-season, but since his contract expires this year he could be an attractive rental for a team looking for depth at center at some point during the season.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Some people argue many hits are a good thing because it intimidates the opposition.
Other argue too many hits are a bad thing because it leaves the defender out of position and can lead to scoring chances.

The thing that is important with hits is the defenders hockey IQ to know when it is smart to take the body and when it is smart to defend against scoring chance.
Schenn still has time to learn this but Komisarek I think at this point is too old and slow a dog to teach this trick.
That's the direction I see Burke and co starting to take. Rielly and Finn our two most recent picks are both described as high IQ guys who are by no means small, both already around 200 pounds. We don't have a physically imposing player like Chara but many of the top defensemen in the league aren't know for that, they are known for how they play smart defense and their offensive contributions, a big defense isn't needed.

That said however, if you don't have that much of a physically imposing defense, your forwards better be able to do it. Right now we do not have the players to do that. We have some prospects who can do it just fine in about 2 years, but right now not really haha.

I'm starting to see the leafs not built to compete yet next year but starting in the 2013-2014 season, watch out. By that time some unneeded players are off the books, some possible UFA signings and our prospects will be looking to come into the NHL. I hope we make the playoffs next year but I'm starting to see us more looking towards the the following season to start competing strongly.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:12 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
I think the last 3 winger spots in the top 9 should go to Frattin, Kadri, and Kulemin [assuming JVR goes back to wing]. Who fits where will be based on what Carlyle wants to do with the Grabo line.

I think both of them really need full time duties in the NHL now. They've done very well in the AHL for a couple seasons now, and I feel its time for them to take the next step. They might struggle early on, but I think it will be better for their development.
I agree that would be a proper use of the talent. I'm not sure Burke is done with the bulking up though. Just adding JVR is not that much by itself nor would be adding a thug as the 12 or 13 forward. Also with the new 3rd line center being "offensively challenged" it will really put downforce on the wingers ability to put up points. I don't have a solution except they probably need to get the young guys playing somewhere and stick with them. If Kadri can actually be effective playing with a 10 goal center then that would be a real achievement.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:44 PM
GoodNewfieBoy
Jim,coach Leafs too?

Pretty sure McClement was signed to be the third line centre.

With JVR playing with Kessel, we have:

Lupul-JVR-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur
Kadri-McClement-Bozak
Komarov-Steckle-Brown

Therefore, I'm hoping SOMETHING happens with Connolly and Lombardi as they are too expensive to be sitting in the pressbox.

With:

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Holzer
Liles-Franson
Komisarek

Rounding out the D corps, and:

Reimer
Scrivens

The goaltending,

There is your 2012-2013 Toronto Maple Leafs.

LOOOOOOOOOOL

Old
07-12-2012, 12:48 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver

J Bernier confirmed he asked to be traded. Did so b4 last deadline, #Kings refused. Just informed my colleague Elizabeth Rancourt @TVASports

Bernier tells @TVASports he expects to be traded close to training camp, "preferably close to home". More details to come.
Leafs are "close to home" in a way.

I know, it probably won't happen but interesting no less.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Leafs are "close to home" in a way.

I know, it probably won't happen but interesting no less.
Columbus Blue jackets? I dunno I don't think we are the ones.

Burke said we aren't into unproven talent in the tending area.

07-12-2012, 01:12 PM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Columbus Blue jackets? I dunno I don't think we are the ones.

Burke said we aren't into unproven talent in the tending area.
Not into unproven talent for goaltending.

We feel confident in Reimer and Scrivens.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:13 PM
DPyro

Quote:
Our team was fourth in the league in hits. I'm sure we'll survive without Komisarek who was frequently benched.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCanadianBoy View Post
Pretty sure McClement was signed to be the third line centre.

With JVR playing with Kessel, we have:

Lupul-JVR-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur
Kadri-McClement-Bozak
Komarov-Steckle-Brown

Therefore, I'm hoping SOMETHING happens with Connolly and Lombardi as they are too expensive to be sitting in the pressbox.

With:

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Holzer
Liles-Franson
Komisarek

Rounding out the D corps, and:

Reimer
Scrivens

The goaltending,

There is your 2012-2013 Toronto Maple Leafs.

LOOOOOOOOOOL
McClement was the # 4 center in Colorado for 5 on 5 play. Just cause he came to Toronto doesn't mean he should be slotted higher in the order.

5 on 5 Bozak, Connolly and probably even Lombardi if he gets over his injuries offer a lot more.

McClement however will probably just crack the top 9 in our forwards in overall ice time because he'll get the most minutes on the penalty kill of any of our forwards.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:39 PM
vflawiess

Trade Connolly + Komisarek + MacArthur + Percy + 1st for Thornton + Murray
Trade Lombardi + D'Amigo + 3rd for Luongo

Lupul - Thornton - Kessel
Kadri - Grabovski - JVR
Kulemin - Bozak - Frattin
Steckel - McClement - Brown
Komarov
Orr