HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

11'/12' Offseason/Trades/Proposals: FOR CRYING OUT LOUD WHERE ARE THE RUMORS!??

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 12:43 PM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Was listening to TSN 1050 and they were saying that the Leafs are very interested in Jonathan Bernier and that the asking price is Matt Frattin. I would do this trade in a heart beat, but I'm not sure why Burke is balking at that. However, I also think it could be a ploy to try and get Vancouver to panic and trade Luongo here for less than their asking price.

What do you guys think?

Old
07-19-2012, 12:48 PM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Was listening to TSN 1050 and they were saying that the Leafs are very interested in Jonathan Bernier and that the asking price is Matt Frattin. I would do this trade in a heart beat, but I'm not sure why Burke is balking at that. However, I also think it could be a ploy to try and get Vancouver to panic and trade Luongo here for less than their asking price.

What do you guys think?
A bit of old news. However, I would rather not trade Frattin for Bernier, as I think Reimer has just as much potential. Frattin has proven to be a solid 3rd liner, with all signs pointing to him cracking the top 6 soon. Bernier may never develop into the #1 goalie we need. I've entertained the idea that Burke is using this Bernier deal as smoke and mirrors for Luongo, and thats what I would rather.

Veteran that can stop gap Reimers development time is exactly what we need.

Thats just my opinion though, as I still feel the pain of Toskala and Raycroft.

Old
07-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post

What do you guys think?
Personally I like how Frattin plays and I think we already have a goalie similar to Bernier in Reimer so I don't see why we should be doing the trade. But with that said, I am not a good evaluator of talent and potential so I will trust the decision that leafs management makes.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:04 PM
dimi78

[QUOTE=delirium trigger;52706961]Well he didn't help the lightning much, and on paper they are better than us. I don't think adding stamkos makes us a contender, just as much as adding kessel did. There would have to be upgrades around him and room left in the budget for them. He would be a huge step in the right direction tho.[/QUOTE]

He would appease the masses of who think star forwards carry teams to the playoffs and championships etc... Stamkos and Tampa right now are perfect examples that star players are just pieces to the puzzle no different than that 3rd line checker you send out to do a job.

Did Tampa make the playoffs this past year with all that fire power and Stamkos having the best season of his career with 60 goals. Didn't get them the wins they needed so who really cares what he did when the goaltending was just as bad as the Leafs got we could see just how valuable Stamkos really is in the big picture to impact wins don't you think?

Philly has been inflating the market with the contracts they've been handing out and I'll say this much if Bryz doesn't bounce back even if Weber ends up there Philly wont do anything.

The NHL has turned into a goaltenders league without it I don't care what you have your not going anywhere.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:18 PM
ChuckWoods

All sorts of speculation right now that Nashville trades back the picks, or some of the picks to Philly for players.

It would be very interesting if they actually did this.

Either way, I see Weber as a Flyer next season.

Beast in the east if they do!

Old
07-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
All sorts of speculation right now that Nashville trades back the picks, or some of the picks to Philly for players.

It would be very interesting if they actually did this.

Either way, I see Weber as a Flyer next season.

Beast in the east if they do!
Still have Bryzgalov though

Beast with a major achilles heal

Old
07-19-2012, 01:34 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

If the asking price is Frattin, Burke should be pointing to the prices of other back-up goalies in the league, and asking what makes him think his "potential #1" is worth more than the others, without substantial reason to believe it.

His numbers are very similar to Reimer.... Does that make him sure enough to dump Frattin + a pick? I would hope not. I would be negotiating that one in another direction.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:35 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Haha good point.

But with the additions of Weber and Schenn, they'd be hoping those pieces would at least help ease the pressure off of that issue.

With that said, maybe they help tighten up Phillys defensive zone and Bryz can at least be steady for them.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:35 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

This.

In today's game, you can have an awesome team out front, but if the guy between the pipes can't steal you games, and stand on his head from time to time, you're not hoisting Stanley. It's that simple.

Bryz is NOT that guy.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Haha good point.

But with the additions of Weber and Schenn, they'd be hoping those pieces would at least help ease the pressure off of that issue.

With that said, maybe they help tighten up Phillys defensive zone and Bryz can at least be steady for them.
Weber was Schenn's mentor, if the deal goes through I would expect Schenn to really get a boost being on the same team as his brother, his mentor and playing for a team/city that loves physical hockey. Pretty well the prefect situation for him.

As for Bryz, improved defence usually = improved goaltending.

I agree with your 1st comment of Beast of the East.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:40 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
This.

In today's game, you can have an awesome team out front, but if the guy between the pipes can't steal you games, and stand on his head from time to time, you're not hoisting Stanley. It's that simple.

Bryz is NOT that guy.
I personally believe Bryz is way better than he showed.

Secondly, your quote isnt true.

Chicago won with Niemi, and he was not spectacular at all. Leighton was in the other net.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
I personally believe Bryz is way better than he showed.

Secondly, your quote isnt true.

Chicago won with Niemi, and he was not spectacular at all. Leighton was in the other net.
Bryzgalov played in system that inflates a goalies stats and with one of the best goalie coaches in Sean Burke down in Pho. (Just look at Mike Smith)

In philly he plays behind a more run and gun system and with Jeff Reese as his goalie coach (A guy who's claim to fame is Leighton not playing terrible for a few weeks)

Niemi made timely saves and didn't allow backbreaking weak goals in Hawks run

Bryzgalov even with Coyotes has always been prone to giving up bad weak goals

Old
07-19-2012, 01:47 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

What is their max potential?

Frattin = Jeff Carter/Dustin Brown hybrid

Got some of the sniper in carter and some of the physicality of brown..

Bernier = Cam Ward

I just cant justify trading Frattin. This is one of those trades that could seriously pay off or seriously bite you in the ass. If Bernier ends up fulfilling his potential and is categorized with the likes of Price, Ward, Quick etc.. then make the trade. The problem lies in Reimer. He is the same goalie as Bernier and could end up holding similar value. Regardless, holding onto two young goalies devalues one of them. Trading a proven guy like Luongo gives you much more leverage then a guy like Bernier or Reimer. Right now Reimer could succeed and leave us with Frattin. Otherwise both Reimer and Bernier could succeed and we would end up having to trade one for a discount when we run out of cap space.

Just talked myself into passing on this deal.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:57 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post

Bernier = Cam Ward

I just cant justify trading Frattin. This is one of those trades that could seriously pay off or seriously bite you in the ass. If Bernier ends up fulfilling his potential and is categorized with the likes of Price, Ward, Quick etc.. then make the trade. The problem lies in Reimer. He is the same goalie as Bernier and could end up holding similar value. Regardless, holding onto two young goalies devalues one of them. Trading a proven guy like Luongo gives you much more leverage then a guy like Bernier or Reimer. Right now Reimer could succeed and leave us with Frattin. Otherwise both Reimer and Bernier could succeed and we would end up having to trade one for a discount when we run out of cap space.

You can't wait for that to happen though. When he turns into Cam Ward, he isn't available anymore. This is the trade to either do or don't at this time and it never comes up again. You don't wait and see on something like this.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
I'd trade Kulemin+2nd round pick for Bernier, but would rather keep Frattin.

I have a feeling Frattin will have a breakout year this season, playing with Van-Riemsdyk and Grabovski.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:00 PM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post

Bernier = Cam Ward

I agree with keeping frattin, but honestly he's a Jeff carter/ dustin brown low-brid.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Griffski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
I'd trade Kulemin+2nd round pick for Bernier, but would rather keep Frattin.

I have a feeling Frattin will have a breakout year this season, playing with Van-Riemsdyk and Grabovski.
Ideally I think we move Mac+ for Bernier...

Old
07-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Personally I like how Frattin plays and I think we already have a goalie similar to Bernier in Reimer so I don't see why we should be doing the trade. But with that said, I am not a good evaluator of talent and potential so I will trust the decision that leafs management makes.
My thoughts on the subject.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:06 PM
pspot

If Nash doesn't match Burke better get on the horn to dump Komisarek on NSH
they'll need a lot to get to the cap floor without any contracts coming back for Weber

hell Komi and Connolly

Old
07-19-2012, 02:06 PM
delirium trigger

Luongo to philly, bryz to vancouver.
Let's swap problems!

Old
07-19-2012, 02:08 PM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
they'll need a lot to get to the cap floor without any contracts coming back for Weber

hell Komi and Connolly
Take em all

Old
07-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post

hell Komi and Connolly
Komi+Connolly for Wilson

Old
07-19-2012, 02:10 PM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Komi+Connolly for Wilson
And a 1st

Old
07-19-2012, 02:10 PM