HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

11'/12' Offseason/Trades/Proposals: FOR CRYING OUT LOUD WHERE ARE THE RUMORS!??

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
So I proposed Mac+Ashton for Volchenkov and Devil fans said they would consider it. What about Leaf fans?
Where do I sign?

Old
07-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Take this for what it's worth......(may be nothing)

Just spoke with someone from MLSE while on vacation in Georgian Bay who says that Halik is Burke's main target. Seemed like he knew what he was talking about. Guess it's as good as any of the other rumors out there.
Burke loves coming out of left field when it comes to signings and trades. There must be something in the new CBA that has something against teams like NSH, OTT, CLB, and STL and them having good teams that can compete (CLB doesn't really count because Howson is ruining the team).

Anyways, what would it cost to get Halak from STL? Kadri and 3rd (or prospect of equal value)? (STL gave up Lars Eller (13th overall pick) and Ian Schultz (3rd round pick))

Old
07-19-2012, 06:10 PM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Yea for those wondering, Hockey Insiders isn't considered as a source in this place.
Guy thinks you can do sign and trade for Weber.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:14 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin View Post
Halik? Did you mean Halak?

Not being a grammar Nazi, I'm just genuinely not sure.
I was trying to figure out why bobby holik would come out of retirement for the leafs lol

Old
07-19-2012, 06:18 PM
pspot

I just don't see it, St Louis is coming off a very promising season with tones of depth and no cap issues. The types of moves they should be looking for are quantity for quality

Old
07-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Pyromaniac3

I really really doubt St.Louis is going to go with Elliot as their number 1 goalie.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:21 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Just a hypothetical question. Would you guys trade our next 4 1sts for Weber? I would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
We are a bottom 5 team... our situation is way different. So NO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
With Weber we wouldn't be.
With the Leafs luck (and Ballard curse), he would get hurt in the 13th game and miss the rest of the year...

Old
07-19-2012, 07:30 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
+35 contract, he gets paid regardless whether he retires.

Pack it in, call it a HHoF career. He's done.
Nope.

The cap hit stands, but he doesn't get paid.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:34 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Still have Bryzgalov though

Beast with a major achilles heal
If it's healing, it's good news... isn't it?

Old
07-19-2012, 07:44 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Gilmour View Post
Burke loves coming out of left field when it comes to signings and trades. There must be something in the new CBA that has something against teams like NSH, OTT, CLB, and STL and them having good teams that can compete (CLB doesn't really count because Howson is ruining the team).

Anyways, what would it cost to get Halak from STL? Kadri and 3rd (or prospect of equal value)? (STL gave up Lars Eller (13th overall pick) and Ian Schultz (3rd round pick))
But Halak solidified his status since then.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
So I proposed Mac+Ashton for Volchenkov and Devil fans said they would consider it. What about Leaf fans?
What's the point?

07-19-2012, 08:33 PM
showtime8

I'm curious on why everyone includes Clarke MacArthur into trade proposals?

Is it solely that he has an expiring contract or do you not see him being in the Leafs long term plan?

I've included him into trade proposals, but in no way do I think he is not a quality player. If he does get traded the Leafs will have to replace 20 goals and 50 points in their line-up. He's really only a one dimensional player, but still holds value in my eyes.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post

Is it solely that he has an expiring contract or do you not see him being in the Leafs long term plan?

I've included him into trade proposals, but in no way do I think he is not a quality player. If he does get traded the Leafs will have to replace 20 goals and 50 points in their line-up. He's really only a one dimensional player, but still holds value in my eyes.
Those are the two most common reasons. MacArthur with his size and style of play likely wouldn't be an effective 3rd/4th liner meaning he has to be a top 6 guy. Lupul, Kessel and JVR are for sure ahead of him on the winger depth chart. Kadri, Frattin and Kulemin are the 3 others competing with MacArthur for the final spot in the top 6 and most people would prefer any one of those 3 over MacArthur. He still holds value, everyone will agree with you on that. He is just by far the most expendable in almost everyone's eyes.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
I really really doubt St.Louis is going to go with Elliot as their number 1 goalie.
Why not? He played almost half of the games last season and had far superior stats compared to Halak. Elliott was also much more consistent, so maybe Blues management saw something they didn't like in Halak and wouldn't mind moving him in the right deal. Sure Elliott wasn't great in the playoffs, but neither was the team as a whole in the second round.

If you have two starting goaltenders and want to improve your team in other places, moving an area of depth would make sense. Halak would be great in Toronto, and I bet he'd play great against the Habs lol.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Im Old Gregggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post

to be honest i see mac as our most expendable top 6 player, hed have decent value and is replaceable from within the organization (kadri/frattin/have kule play his wing and jvr on the other side of grabo is the 1lc experiment doesnt work out) .... i could live without him and if hes a pawn that needs to be included in a package to land a big name then c'ya mac

imo one of our top 6 will be bumped out to give kadri the playing time he needs and odds are we will likely get an upgrade within the next season .... id rather mac go than kulie (i see a rebound year offensively and his trade stock will be down right now) who knows though maybe contract negotiations with kulie get dicey and he is the one shipped off this season

i could see 2 of kule , bozak and/or mac gone by next summer (maybe grabo if we do a getzlaf type deal)

lupul - ______ - kessel
JVR - grabo - kadri?
kule could fit on 3rd line with bozak/mcclement and frattin, mac outside the top 6 is useless

Old
07-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Why not? He played almost half of the games last season and had far superior stats compared to Halak. Elliott was also much more consistent, so maybe Blues management saw something they didn't like in Halak and wouldn't mind moving him in the right deal. Sure Elliott wasn't great in the playoffs, but neither was the team as a whole in the second round.

If you have two starting goaltenders and want to improve your team in other places, moving an area of depth would make sense. Halak would be great in Toronto, and I bet he'd play great against the Habs lol.
Halak has a more proven track record and single handedly led a team like Montreal as eighth seed to the conference Finals. What has Elliot done other than be back with a career year. They are also both on good contracts and you don't go with a backup with no experience.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:05 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

Kadri + Colborne + Blacker + MacArthur for Getzlaf
Connolly for 3rd
Bozak for whatever
Sign Doan
Re-sign Kulemin
Re-sign Franson

-------------

Lupul - Getzlaf (A) - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Doan (A)
Kulemin - McClement - Frattin
Brown - Steckel - Orr
-Komarov/Lombardi/D'Amigo

Gardiner - Phaneuf (C)
Liles - Komisarek
Gunnarsson - Franson
-Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

Old
07-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
What's the point?
Ship out excess forwards for a top four shutdown physical defenseman. We have no one other than Phaneuf and Gunnarsson for penalty killing. He will take pressure off both those defensemen and also allowing Phaneuf to play a more offensive role..

Old
07-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeCheeseAllDay View Post
Connolly for 3rd
Bozak for whatever
Sign Doan
Re-sign Kulemin
Re-sign Franson

-------------

Brown - Steckel - Orr

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Liles - Komisarek
Gunnarsson - Franson
-Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens
Firstly, if Getzlaf is ever available then he will at least garner Nash return. Secondly, would you trade Getzlaf for that package?

Old
07-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Alexander Baigle

Quote:
Firstly, if Getzlaf is ever available then he will at least garner Nash return. Secondly, would you trade Getzlaf for that package?
Would you trade Lupul and Gardiner for Beauchemin?

Old
07-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Halak has a more proven track record and single handedly led a team like Montreal as eighth seed to the conference Finals. What has Elliot done other than be back with a career year. They are also both on good contracts and you don't go with a backup with no experience.
Mike Richards and Jeff Carter lead the Flyers in points and goals in multiple seasons, and Richards was the captain. Players get moved unexpectedly, for reasons sometimes we're not aware of. It's not unheard of to think Halak could be moved, especially considering how well Elliott played last season.

Dave Poulin himself said you would be very surprised to hear some of the names that have been thrown around in trade talks this summer. I think with the changes the league is going through at the moment, lots of unexpected players will be moved, for various reasons.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Auzzie19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Baigle View Post
ohhhh, we have a winner. LOL

Old
07-19-2012, 10:16 PM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeCheeseAllDay View Post
Connolly for 3rd
Bozak for whatever
Sign Doan
Re-sign Kulemin
Re-sign Franson

-------------

Brown - Steckel - Orr

Gardiner - Phaneuf (C)
Liles - Komisarek
Gunnarsson - Franson
-Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens
Connolly for a third and bozak for whatever?! Huh.
Lombardi is centering the 5th line for some reason, is that the marlies 1st line? And I doubt phanuef retains the C if getzlaf and Doan are here.
Another problem is this line up is definitely play off bound... But looking at the new east, definitely not making the finals, so a few years of playoffs with no cup, and Doan retires, maybe getzlaf walks in a year, the prospects are all traded and our picks have been 15-30, so most likely we are very quickly bad again and cupless. This is a fast track, been there done that, not interested. Develop develop develop. Minor depth trades, FA signings. That's how we will get a cup and stay competitve for years.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
What's the point?
Mac is a pending UFA who was never seen as a long-term fixture here and Ashton is a decent but unspectacular prospect that we don't particularly need with guys like Ross, Biggs, Frattin and D'Amigo all in the pipeline.

Volchenkov would be our first quality shut-down defenseman in years. He'd bring everything Schenn, Komisarek and Beauchemin were supposed to, but didn't. Not to mention, with the additions of McClement + Volchenkov, we might actually have a half-decent PK for the first time in I don't know how long.

Last edited by Marco Esquandolas: 07-19-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old
07-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Baigle View Post
No. But do you think he is stupid enough to trade top 10 centre for scraps? Think Grabo, Gardiner, Kadri+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Mike Richards and Jeff Carter lead the Flyers in points and goals in multiple seasons, and Richards was the captain. Players get moved unexpectedly, for reasons sometimes we're not aware of. It's not unheard of to think Halak could be moved, especially considering how well Elliott played last season.

Dave Poulin himself said you would be very surprised to hear some of the names that have been thrown around in trade talks this summer. I think with the changes the league is going through at the moment, lots of unexpected players will be moved, for various reasons.
Some people can justify trading Richards and Carter. They also have some rumours to back them up. They also got a pretty good return on those trades. Those returns will eventually replace the production Richards and carter provided.

For Halak to come to Toronto, we are assuming that he is available. There have been no rumours or any reason at all to move him.

Closed Thread