HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason/Trades/Proposals: FOR CRYING OUT LOUD WHERE ARE THE RUMORS!??

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 11:01 PM
showtime8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin View Post
Mac is a pending UFA who was never seen as a long-term fixture here and Ashton is a decent but unspectacular prospect that we don't particularly need with guys like Ross, Biggs, Frattin and D'Amigo all in the pipeline.

Volchenkov would be our first quality shut-down defenseman in years. He'd bring everything Schenn, Komisarek and Beauchemin were supposed to, but didn't. Not to mention, with the additions of McClement + Volchenkov, we might actually have a half-decent PK for the first time in I don't know how long.

He's a little on the expensive side, but that won't be a problem with Connolly, Lombardi, Bozak, Steckel and Lupul ($18.35M) all coming off the cap.
Yea, he's one of those guys that you wish Komisarek was. But I think that he'd get eaten alive in Toronto. He's not a guy that's flashy and will get the same rap of not playing up to his contract.

Carter Ashton is going to be a good player for the Maple Leafs. He has a higher ceiling than Joe Colborne and will put up better numbers when he learns what his exact role is. Too many times the Leafs have tried to force players to play out of their relm (Lombardi starting on 4th line, Crabb playing 2nd line minutes, Steckl playing 3rd line minutes etc.) There's going to be an adjustment period coming from junior, where he was the powerforward and could lean on kids. Then he came to the show and had to adjust from trying to lean on people to just not get run over. It will happen and he will become a good 2nd line centreman in the league. I hope the Leafs are patient with him and let him develop or its just another wasted player go by the weyside.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin View Post
Mac is a pending UFA who was never seen as a long-term fixture here and Ashton is a decent but unspectacular prospect that we don't particularly need with guys like Ross, Biggs, Frattin and D'Amigo all in the pipeline.

Volchenkov would be our first quality shut-down defenseman in years. He'd bring everything Schenn, Komisarek and Beauchemin were supposed to, but didn't. Not to mention, with the additions of McClement + Volchenkov, we might actually have a half-decent PK for the first time in I don't know how long.
Couldn't agree with you more that CMac is expendable but not cause of Ross, Biggs and D'Amigo. Well at least not yet. Kadri, Frattin and possibly even Colborne are what will make him expendable this season.

Volchenkov isn't someone the Leafs should be going after. He makes over 4 million a year with many years left on the deal, never plays a full season, is only slowing down and if he was a Leaf that last few woud be just as criticized as Schenn, Komisrek and Beauchemin cause he'd have also had all of the similar weaknesses to deal with like horribly defensive forwards and bottom 5/10 goaltending.

The PK at this point really just needs better goaltending.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:13 AM
TimtheDJ84*

Halak isn't being moved. On a good contract, return for goaltenders is not that significant, and in the playoffs Eliott showed that he can't be fully leaned on yet. Pipe dream

Old
07-20-2012, 01:15 AM
TimtheDJ84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheDJ84 View Post
Halak isn't being moved. On a good contract, return for goaltenders is not that significant, and in the playoffs Eliott showed that he can't be fully leaned on yet. Pipe dream
Also, targeting a player and being in realistic trade talks with the team he is on are two vastly different things.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:47 AM
delirium trigger

Trading to get volchenkov is just banging our head against the same wall again. We already have komiserak, let's see what he can do under carlyle, before we get two of them on our team

Old
07-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheDJ84 View Post
Couldn't agree more. Halak is staying in St. Louis.

Elliott has had one good year his entire career. St. Louis ins't foolish enough to rely on only him.

They also traded Bishop last deadline which only further proves Halak and Elliott are the two guys they'll be running with.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:52 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium trigger View Post
Trading to get volchenkov is just banging our head against the same wall again. We already have komiserak, let's see what he can do under carlyle, before we get two of them on our team
Volchenkov and Komisarek aren't even close to being the same calibur of player. Volchenkov is a legit shut down defenseman who can play top pairing minutes, blocks tons of shots, plays physical and isn't a liability offensively. Komisarek on the other hand can block some shots, but the rest of his game is awful.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Smif

Kuli signed 2 years @ 2.8mil. Atta boy Burkie!

Old
07-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
UFAs who were under contract last season for Toronto that are yet to be signed:
Rosehill
Finger
Lashoff
Zigomanis
Greenop

RFAs:
Franson
Scrivens
Fraser

I have the feeling that Franson will be gone before next season starts. He wants to play and he may not get the chance to in Toronto.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
Kuli signed 2 years @ 2.8mil. Atta boy Burkie!
Does that bring him to UFA?

Old
07-20-2012, 08:19 AM
SchennerandNazzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 080 View Post
According to capgeek he is a UFA in 2014

Old
07-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Grant
LL Genius

You become a UFA at age 27 or after playing 7 NHL season. Kulemin will be 28 by the time his contract is up, he will have played 6 NHL seasons by then.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:26 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
UFAs who were under contract last season for Toronto that are yet to be signed:
Rosehill
Finger
Lashoff
Zigomanis
Greenop

RFAs:
Franson
Scrivens
Fraser

I have the feeling that Franson will be gone before next season starts. He wants to play and he may not get the chance to in Toronto.
Scrivens is the only one on that list that I think will be here longterm. Franson maybe, but he's really got to improve defensively, he's terrible. And with so many good solid young guys knocking at the door this year and next year (Holzer, Rielly, Blacker, and Percy should all be pushing hard for the 2013-2014 season), Franson is definitely on a short leash.

But if he can improve defensively, with his size and shot, he could bring an element not many others on our team can. So hopefully Carlyle can have a good influence.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
You become a UFA at age 27 or after playing 7 NHL season. Kulemin will be 28 by the time his contract is up, he will have played 6 NHL seasons by then.
There is a chance as well that with the new CBA, RFA may get pushed back, buying us at least an extra year of Kulemin's rights. Currently the proposal is, I think, ten seasons or 31 years old. You figure if they land somewhere in the middle then this isn't his last contract as an RFA.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:40 AM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mack View Post
There is a chance as well that with the new CBA, RFA may get pushed back, buying us at least an extra year of Kulemin's rights. Currently the proposal is, I think, ten seasons or 31 years old. You figure if they land somewhere in the middle then this isn't his last contract as an RFA.
I can't see nhlpa agreeing to that, its a business not a daycare. Why would they agree to losing more control of their fate? I think the current set up is more than fair to the management side. The khl isn't much of a threat to the nhl, but if we changing things like that more and more will Chase the money and freedom and less games/work.. no other NA sport has a viable alternative to it (anymore), so its a touchy situation and we can't always use other leagues as a guide because of that.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:43 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 080 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennerandNazzie View Post
According to capgeek he is a UFA in 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think the league will get 10 years from the players, and probably they don't really care.

Key is money and UFA status doesn't change the ratio of money at all, just the distribution of it between players.

I could see it move a year, but not 3.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
Old
07-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium trigger View Post
I can't see nhlpa agreeing to that, its a business not a daycare. Why would they agree to losing more control of their fate? I think the current set up is more than fair to the management side. The khl isn't much of a threat to the nhl, but if we changing things like that more and more will Chase the money and freedom and less games/work.. no other NA sport has a viable alternative to it (anymore), so its a touchy situation and we can't always use other leagues as a guide because of that.
I agree. I think the only way that the NHLPA agrees to extend RFA status (and if they do it won't be for as long as the NHL has proposed) is because the NHLPA gets something they want really badly which in my eyes would have to be revenue sharing. They may let teams control players longer (meaning players would get less money) if they keep a higher percentage of the revenue sharing (meaning players get more money) basically in the end cancelling out.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:51 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I agree. I think the only way that the NHLPA agrees to extend RFA status (and if they do it won't be for as long as the NHL has proposed) is because the NHLPA gets something they want really badly which in my eyes would have to be revenue sharing. They may let teams control players longer (meaning players would get less money) if they keep a higher percentage of the revenue sharing (meaning players get more money) basically in the end cancelling out.
IMO owners want more revenue money.

If they get 52%, they get 52% whether players go UFA after 7 year or 10 years. Individual players are impacted, and it would just mean more money going to older players when they have bidding wars it wouldn't be for a 26 year old defender, it would be a 29 year old defender.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Orbital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I dont still don't buy the bernier hype. I think he is really overrated. Carey price was in a similar position than Bernier was and he took the reins from Huet.

I personally think this isn't a well thought proposal, as in your proposal. One player, Kadri, has potential to be a top line player, while Frattin's ceiling is a great second liner. You tell me which then you want to part with. Not to mention one is just about to turn 22, while the other is 25. Patience is a virtue and it has helped a lot of the centers in the big leagues that are dominating for their respective teams. We must do the same with Kadri unless we are in a situation where we can get our own Mike Richards by bartering off a player of Kadri's talent.
Leaf Nation can talk about needing a #1 center all day long but we've had sub-par goaltending since the lockout and I would be willing to give up a talent to get the talent needed in net.We can continue to hope Reimer is a #1 goaltender or make a trade for Bernier and let them battle it out.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Andrew Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I don't think the league will get 10 years from the players, and probably they don't really care.

Key is money and UFA status doesn't change the ratio of money at all, just the distribution of it between players.

I could see it move a year, but not 3.
I definitely agree, but it is still out there. I assume it lands somewhere low as a potential "giveback", but there is still a chance this moves. Hopefully it does move because it certainly eliminates a little bit of a potential problem w. Kessel.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:08 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbital View Post
Leaf Nation can talk about needing a #1 center all day long but we've had sub-par goaltending since the lockout and I would be willing to give up a talent to get the talent needed in net.We can continue to hope Reimer is a #1 goaltender or make a trade for Bernier and let them battle it out.
Bernier is just another hopeful, possible answer.

Since Belfour that's all the Leafs have gone with, hopefuls, and unhealthy answers.

Luongo deal is stupid, but I'm not sure there is another starter on the market.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:11 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I definitely agree, but it is still out there. I assume it lands somewhere low as a potential "giveback", but there is still a chance this moves. Hopefully it does move because it certainly eliminates a little bit of a potential problem w. Kessel.
I don't think moving back hurts the Leafs, they don't play with the big boys anyway.

Even when the best players come on the market as UFA's, the Leafs aren't players for them.

Milquetoast with money.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Volchenkov and Komisarek aren't even close to being the same calibur of player. Volchenkov is a legit shut down defenseman who can play top pairing minutes, blocks tons of shots, plays physical and isn't a liability offensively. Komisarek on the other hand can block some shots, but the rest of his game is awful.
Volchenkov hasn't been playing anywhere close to top pairing minutes in New Jersey and never plays a full season due to injuries.

Volchenkov handles the puck like a grenade much like Komisarek.

The biggest difference between the two is one has gotten to play in front of vastly superior goaltending and is supported by forwards who know how to help their defencemen.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:41 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Bernier is just another hopeful, possible answer.

Since Belfour that's all the Leafs have gone with, hopefuls, and unhealthy answers.

Luongo deal is stupid, but I'm not sure there is another starter on the market.
maybe wait and see what happens in Minny
Backstrom would be a nice option if he becomes available if not already
Maybe Lehtonen if Campbell steps up

I'd wait Van out at this point

Old
07-20-2012, 09:47 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
maybe wait and see what happens in Minny
Backstrom would be a nice option if he becomes available if not already
Maybe Lehtonen if Campbell steps up

I'd wait Van out at this point
I'd have some concerns about going into the season with Reimer or Bernier, but as long as Burke retains his 1st. round draft pick I'll live with it. I'll also say it is playoffs or bust for Burke this year, but I can live with that as well.

Burke has promised he's going to add to the current squad, so we'll just have to wait and see who he adds. Burke's word is his word.

Closed Thread