HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

11'/12' Offseason/Trades/Proposals: FOR CRYING OUT LOUD WHERE ARE THE RUMORS!??

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2012, 08:50 PM
binop7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Wrong. What he's going to change and much of that has to do with roster change is to not rely so heavily for offense off the rush. Defensive zone coverage for the most part is the same from team to team, the strategy or "System" that so many people are hung up on and over analyze to death is what to do through the neutral zone how deep do you send checkers, trap or left wing lock etc. which during the course of the game in todays NHL game teams change it up based on the score of the game. I guess you would be shocked to know that the Leafs played the trap to hold leads under Wilson. The problem wasn't system that's why Burke is looking for size up front which he was looking for even before Wilson was fired.

This team was bad defensively per say for the same reason why they weren't so good on the offensive cycle the forwards were no good on the wall leaving the D high and dry of support to do the simple task of getting the puck out of the zone that's why the team spent too much time being hemmed into there own zone something that changing the "SYSTEM" wont improve but player change will.

There's no miracle system that will fix a flawed roster of so many forwards who don't work well on the wall rather because of size or not.

This team under Carlyle will still for-check and be aggressive, yes even the D will pinch to maintain the cycle in the offense zone which will be part of the fix defensively to spend more time in the oppositions zone wearing them out as appose to it happening to us like it has. There wont be a drastic change in the way the team plays, that type of drastic change doesn't exist most teams play the same way anyway they're just better or worst at it than other teams and have better or worst goaltending that is the difference from team to team. "SYSTEM" is over scrutinized. LA didn't win because of SYSTEM, in fact they were so damn close to missing the playoffs.
Watch the Leafs games under wilson. Then watch Carlyle's first 5 games with the team. That's as drastic as it can get. There will be a drastic change in the way they play because Carlyle plays a different formation/system w/e you want to call it.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:04 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
Watch the Leafs games under wilson. Then watch Carlyle's first 5 games with the team. That's as drastic as it can get. There will be a drastic change in the way they play because Carlyle plays a different formation/system w/e you want to call it.
I think you need to go and watch the games again cause there wasn't much of a change at all "SYSTEM" wise. Carlyle matches lines heavy so you witnessed more dumping and line changes than under Wilson but as on how they played during a shift there was no change at all.

The Teams strengths last year was it's speed which made them deadly off the rush and there weakness was playing on the wall that's why it seemed like they were playing run and gun when there strength and weakness were so far apart. Those strengths and weakness didn't change with Carlyle infact it's biggest weakness got even worst in goal.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:12 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Wrong. What he's going to change and much of that has to do with roster change is to not rely so heavily for offense off the rush. Defensive zone coverage for the most part is the same from team to team, the strategy or "System" that so many people are hung up on and over analyze to death is what to do through the neutral zone how deep do you send checkers, trap or left wing lock etc. which during the course of the game in todays NHL game teams change it up based on the score of the game. I guess you would be shocked to know that the Leafs played the trap to hold leads under Wilson. The problem wasn't system that's why Burke is looking for size up front which he was looking for even before Wilson was fired.

This team was bad defensively per say for the same reason why they weren't so good on the offensive cycle the forwards were no good on the wall leaving the D high and dry of support to do the simple task of getting the puck out of the zone that's why the team spent too much time being hemmed into there own zone something that changing the "SYSTEM" wont improve but player change will.

There's no miracle system that will fix a flawed roster of so many forwards who don't work well on the wall rather because of size or not.

This team under Carlyle will still for-check and be aggressive, yes even the D will pinch to maintain the cycle in the offense zone which will be part of the fix defensively to spend more time in the oppositions zone wearing them out as appose to it happening to us like it has. There wont be a drastic change in the way the team plays, that type of drastic change doesn't exist most teams play the same way anyway they're just better or worst at it than other teams and have better or worst goaltending that is the difference from team to team. "SYSTEM" is over scrutinized. LA didn't win because of SYSTEM, in fact they were so damn close to missing the playoffs.
I forgot why I don't post here anymore. Thanks for the reminder. It's a good thing I caught you on the way out of Carlyle's strategy session.

My favourite part is that you keep putting the word system in quotations; a word I never used once in my post. I guess if you want to build a strawman, you don't let anything get in your way.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:

Best post I've read here in awhile

People are so obsessed with 'systems' here lately it's ridiculous. And it seems like the people who talk about them most are the people who know the least about them.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Duffman955

Quote:

You couldnt be more wrong. Remember a couple years ago when the habs won 2 series against 2 top teams in the playoffs?

They played an extremely defensive system that frustrated opponents and scored off of their mistakes. The Habs had small players up front (like the leafs), but they were still able to run a very good defensive system. This proves your theory wrong. The problem was the system for the leafs under wilson

Old
07-12-2012, 10:43 PM
binop7

Quote:
I think you need to go and watch the games again cause there wasn't much of a change at all "SYSTEM" wise. Carlyle matches lines heavy so you witnessed more dumping and line changes than under Wilson but as on how they played during a shift there was no change at all.

The Teams strengths last year was it's speed which made them deadly off the rush and there weakness was playing on the wall that's why it seemed like they were playing run and gun when there strength and weakness were so far apart. Those strengths and weakness didn't change with Carlyle infact it's biggest weakness got even worst in goal.
No the weaknesses didn't change. But for 1 I noticed a lot more wall play and a much slower build up. Odd man rushes seemed fewer and far between. The game that I think perfectly exemplifies Carlyle's style was his 1st or maybe 2nd game. The game against Montreal where the Leafs got a shutout.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:46 PM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
You couldnt be more wrong. Remember a couple years ago when the habs won 2 series against 2 top teams in the playoffs?

They played an extremely defensive system that frustrated opponents and scored off of their mistakes. The Habs had small players up front (like the leafs), but they were still able to run a very good defensive system. This proves your theory wrong. The problem was the system for the leafs under wilson
I think a goalie playing out of his brain might have helped too

Old
07-12-2012, 10:51 PM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
No the weaknesses didn't change. But for 1 I noticed a lot more wall play and a much slower build up. Odd man rushes seemed fewer and far between. The game that I think perfectly exemplifies Carlyle's style was his 1st or maybe 2nd game. The game against Montreal where the Leafs got a shutout.
It's impossible to make any statement good or bad about carlyles system and its effect. He stepped in mid season, doesn't know his players, hasn't had a say about the players he wants, hasn't had a camp to teach it. What we saw last year was players struggling to adjust down the stretch, and too varied results.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:57 PM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin View Post
Best post I've read here in awhile

People are so obsessed with 'systems' here lately it's ridiculous. And it seems like the people who talk about them most are the people who know the least about them.
Obviously your not reading my posts. Rude.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:39 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
I think that we are gunna see how bright Brian Burke is around the 2014 - 15 season. I hope its not too late by then..

Lupul - Getzlaf/Zajac/Fisher/Ribeiro - Kessel
Kadri - Colborne - Ashton
Frattin - Bozak - Biggs
Mcclement - Steckel - Ross

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gunnarson - Gardiner
Finn - Percy

Reimer
Scrivens

In all seriousness, I think around this time when we see the waves of Burke prospects hit the NHL, everyone will be much more impressed.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:45 AM
mattehaus

Hasek - welcome by Leafsnation ?

Hello,

I think most agree that the Leafs need to find an experienced veteran Goalie for next year I for one was not happy with the inexperienced tandem of Monster and Reimer last year and don't see a Reimer/Scrivens tandem as any sort of upgrade.

Canucks seem to want too much for Luongo, I think this is borne out by no teams meeting their evaluation so far - surely they must want to move him so they can free up some cap for upgrading other areas of their team?

Which leads me to Hasek - it's reported with Miller indisputably Sabres No. 1 the 47year old Hasek is not going back to Buffulo.

Clearly his age and desire for a multiyear deal go against him but as things stand for the Leafs right now and their options in upgrading the goaltending position being limited to say the least I for one would love to see Hasek wearing Blue and White, Johnny Bower was 45 when he played his last full season for the Leafs, Hasek is 2x years older but with advances in sports medical science these days surely physically he must be younger than his age.

Interested to see how others would feel about Hasek in Leafland!

Old
07-13-2012, 01:46 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Not a chance.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:48 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Hey I am 50, and this is crazy... but here's my agent, so sign me maybe?

HELL NO.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:02 AM
Predaleafs

i wouldnt be against it but i would like to see other options looked into. I would rather sign Hasek to maybe a 1 year deal at 1.5 million and have him and reimer battle for number 1. At this moment it could be alot worse.

He only missed one season as he played in 2010-2011 with HC Spartek Moscow and put up decent numbers,2.45 and .915. If he doesnt have a problem signing here i would not be against it but they need to explore other options. Even a roster player and pick for bernier would be better in my eyes

Old
07-13-2012, 02:07 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

No thanks, his groin will explode in no time trying to handle NHL level work

Old
07-13-2012, 02:10 AM
diceman934

Hell maybe we could also sign Joesph as well and have a tandem of geriatric ( hockey age ) Goalies.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:33 AM
robdicks

Wow. Really?

Old
07-13-2012, 04:13 AM
mattehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post

HELL NO.
Not really a realistic comparison, I doubt you've dedicated you life to playing Ice Hockey at an elite level? but happy to be corrected...

Old
07-13-2012, 04:56 AM
CodeBlue*

This thread reeks of desperation. Hasek is past it.

Old
07-13-2012, 05:01 AM
RonEllisFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattehaus View Post
Not really a realistic comparison, I doubt you've dedicated you life to playing Ice Hockey at an elite level? but happy to be corrected...
I think he was using sarcasim I got it! Bazinga!

He's right, 47 is alittle long in the tooth for the long NHL season, he has not got a a good track record as far as injuries, hell of a goalie in his day. I think he's trying to pad up his retirement nest egg.

Old
07-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:

HELL NO.
I lol'd

Old
07-13-2012, 05:58 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

For those of you old enough to remember, I have two words for you.....Carl Brewer.

Old
07-13-2012, 06:06 AM
Sam Slick*

"Welcome by Leafnation"???

Not nice to do. That is a misleading title thread, you will find out real quick we don't like that around here.

Don't do it.

Old
07-13-2012, 06:27 AM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:

HELL NO.
ha ha

Old
07-13-2012, 06:39 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Closed Thread