HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Lack of Bruins Free Agency Part IV

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-06-2012, 01:21 PM
  #676
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 14,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Don't be lamer than you have to be. Something rather significant happened to the Bruins and not hte Canucks over that equal number of playoff games.
The Canucks lost a Stanley cup final game 7... the Bruins have lost game 7 in 4 of the last 5 years...and yet its laughable to think the canucks are elite?

I get hating the canucks, and I quite frankly do not like them either..but if our team gets to play the injury/tired/hungover card and still be elite...then so do they. There isn't a doubt they're an elite team. To call it laughable is just simply letting emotion get in the way of logic.

This isn't calling the new jersey devils elite, its the defending back to back presidents trophy winners who have been within 60 minutes of a cup in the last two years.

But I guess that's lame to you...not against the grain enough?

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:28 PM
  #677
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
You're arguing against a point no one is making.

Prior to 10-11 -- and this may come as a shock to you -- the Vancouver track record in the playoffs was worse than the Bruins. Even in 09-10 we got further in the playoffs than the Canucks usually do.

Besides, your original post isn't even correct. Not technically -- the Canucks were eliminated in 5 games, the Bruins in 7.


Last edited by Dojji*: 08-06-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:46 PM
  #678
Dwatson783
@dwatson783
 
Dwatson783's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,721
vCash: 500
My favorite part of a slow offseason is that I get to really see how people debate and argue when the pickings are at their slimmest. Really helps makes distinguish who to listen to and who to skim through when the season comes around.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:08 PM
  #679
The Last Baron*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
The Canucks lost a Stanley cup final game 7... the Bruins have lost game 7 in 4 of the last 5 years...and yet its laughable to think the canucks are elite?

I get hating the canucks, and I quite frankly do not like them either..but if our team gets to play the injury/tired/hungover card and still be elite...then so do they. There isn't a doubt they're an elite team. To call it laughable is just simply letting emotion get in the way of logic.

This isn't calling the new jersey devils elite, its the defending back to back presidents trophy winners who have been within 60 minutes of a cup in the last two years.

But I guess that's lame to you...not against the grain enough?
The Canucks chose as much, if not, more than the Bruins. If the Bruins are not elite because of a lack of post-season success, then the same has to apply to the Canucks who couldn't even win the cup.

Please tell me you understand. If not I can break it down into simpler terms.

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:12 PM
  #680
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,598
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
It's not like a 6th seeded Carolina team could wipe out a Bruins machine in the play-offs....Oh wait...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:15 PM
  #681
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
It's not like a 6th seeded Carolina team could wipe out a Bruins machine in the play-offs....Oh wait...
Little different. That Bruins team didn't really have any playoff experience except against Montreal.

The WORST thing that happened to them was the played Montreal in round 1. Too easy, too fired up, and then they won Game 1 so easily.

They didn't have any idea what it was like to actually compete in the playoffs, and by the time they did the margin for error was gone.

They needed to play anybody else in round 1, or maybe have a stinker in Game 1 against Carolina.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:15 PM
  #682
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
It's not like a 6th seeded Carolina team could wipe out a Bruins machine in the play-offs....Oh wait...
What's your point.

Any one playoff matchup is generally winnable by either team if they can execute their gameplan. Does that mean that the Canes are a match for us sight unseen? Heck no.

If you're trying to demand that Chiarelli make sure that no one can beat us on the ice... then I'm glad Chiarelli is the GM and not you.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:17 PM
  #683
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,598
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
What's your point.

Any one playoff matchup is generally winnable by either team if they can execute their gameplan. Does that mean that the Canes are a match for us sight unseen? Heck no.

If you're trying to demand that Chiarelli make sure that no one can beat us on the ice... then I'm glad Chiarelli is the GM and not you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Little different. That Bruins team didn't really have any playoff experience except against Montreal.

The WORST thing that happened to them was the played Montreal in round 1. Too easy, too fired up, and then they won Game 1 so easily.

They didn't have any idea what it was like to actually compete in the playoffs, and by the time they did the margin for error was gone.

They needed to play anybody else in round 1, or maybe have a stinker in Game 1 against Carolina.
My point is, as evidenced by last years loss to the 7th seeded Capitals, the Bruins could EASILY lose round 1 to Carolina this spring.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:19 PM
  #684
RussellmaniaKW
Registered User
 
RussellmaniaKW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,927
vCash: 500
the Canucks won't win a thing so long as the Sedins are their franchise players. Sure they're good players and put up lots of points, but I think they just don't have that championship psyche. Trading them away would be addition by subtraction in the same way that it was when the Bruins traded Jumbo Joe.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:19 PM
  #685
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
My point is, as evidenced by last years loss to the 7th seeded Capitals, the Bruins could EASILY lose round 1 to Carolina this spring.
Did the Caps beat us easily?

This is a very stupid point. Not only did we have to have BOTH Krejci AND Bergeron hurt before we were vulnerable enough to fall to the Capitals, but they had to execute their gameplan perfectly even then, and rely heavily on their special teams advantage and a young goaltender who had the series of his life.

If we play that series with Washington over again 100 times, we win about 65 times, frequently by less than 7 games.

No matter what you do, Murphy can derail any plan you dream up. Washington series is just another example of how it can happen.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:20 PM
  #686
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,598
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
What's your point.

Any one playoff matchup is generally winnable by either team if they can execute their gameplan. Does that mean that the Canes are a match for us sight unseen? Heck no.

If you're trying to demand that Chiarelli make sure that no one can beat us on the ice... then I'm glad Chiarelli is the GM and not you.
But, but the Canes have won a cup!

Canes would give us a run for our money in the play-offs and to think otherwise is foolhardy.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:21 PM
  #687
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
But, but the Canes have won a cup!

Canes would give us a run for our money in the play-offs and to think otherwise is foolhardy.
Any team could give us a run for our money if things fall right enough for them, wrong enough for us, or both. To pretend we can change that is foolhardy.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:22 PM
  #688
RussellmaniaKW
Registered User
 
RussellmaniaKW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
But, but the Canes have won a cup!

Canes would give us a run for our money in the play-offs and to think otherwise is foolhardy.
ugh, I hate to agree with Dojii, but i think the Caps example isn't totally fair b/c the B's to me looked like they would have had trouble against just about any team in the playoffs this year. for whatever reason (injuries, fatigue, lack of focus) they just didn't have it this year. A healthy, hungry Bruins team would likely have much better results than this year's team in any matchup you want to consider.

I do agree that the Canes are dangerous and match up well with the Bruins, though.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:23 PM
  #689
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Little different. That Bruins team didn't really have any playoff experience except against Montreal.

The WORST thing that happened to them was the played Montreal in round 1. Too easy, too fired up, and then they won Game 1 so easily.

They didn't have any idea what it was like to actually compete in the playoffs, and by the time they did the margin for error was gone.

They needed to play anybody else in round 1, or maybe have a stinker in Game 1 against Carolina.
Not to mention that the Cup-winning Bruins team (and this edition as well) and the Bruins who lost to Carolina are quite different teams.

That's what gets me when people insist on lumping all the Bruins' playoff appearances together. Teams change. Situations change. The only relevance the past has is what you learn from it.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:23 PM
  #690
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,598
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Did the Caps beat us easily?

This is a very stupid point. Not only did we have to have BOTH Krejci AND Bergeron hurt before we were vulnerable enough to fall to the Capitals, but they had to execute their gameplan perfectly even then, and rely heavily on a young goaltender who had the series of his life.

If we play that series with Washington over again 100 times, we win about 65 times, frequently by less than 7 games.

No matter what you do, Murphy can derail any plan you dream up. Washington series is just another example of how it can happen.
Bruins lost 3 of 4 at home to the Capitals. They lost a game where Backstrom was suspended for a game for crying out loud. Mike Green and Roman Hamrlik were a combined plus 10 vs us...

Who gives a flying **** how many times you win out of 100...They lost when it mattered.

How come every time the Bruins lose there is a ****ing excuse? You know, maybe the other team is just actually better.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:24 PM
  #691
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,598
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Not to mention that the Cup-winning Bruins team (and this edition as well) and the Bruins who lost to Carolina are quite different teams.

That's what gets me when people insist on lumping all the Bruins' playoff appearances together. Teams change. Situations change. The only relevance the past has is what you learn from it.
How did our Cup winning Bruins team do vs Carolina last year when they played?

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:25 PM
  #692
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
the Canucks won't win a thing so long as the Sedins are their franchise players. Sure they're good players and put up lots of points, but I think they just don't have that championship psyche. Trading them away would be addition by subtraction in the same way that it was when the Bruins traded Jumbo Joe.
I think that's a bad rap. The guys have won a gold medal in the olympics and have a pretty decent playoff track record.

The fact that their goalie gave them zero chance to win in 3 of the games in the finals was a bigger factor than any sort of swedish psyche problem.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:26 PM
  #693
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Bruins lost 3 of 4 at home to the Capitals. They lost a game where Backstrom was suspended for a game for crying out loud. Mike Green and Roman Hamrlik were a combined plus 10 vs us...

Who gives a flying **** how many times you win out of 100...They lost when it mattered.

How come every time the Bruins lose there is a ****ing excuse? You know, maybe the other team is just actually better.
THe difference between you and me is that I analyze what the team is when they lose, and you invite the Spanish Inquisition over for tea.

Not everything we did was a failure just because it coincided with a first round exit for crying out loud.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:26 PM
  #694
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Bruins lost 3 of 4 at home to the Capitals. They lost a game where Backstrom was suspended for a game for crying out loud. Mike Green and Roman Hamrlik were a combined plus 10 vs us...

Who gives a flying **** how many times you win out of 100...They lost when it mattered.

How come every time the Bruins lose there is a ****ing excuse? You know, maybe the other team is just actually better.
By the way, I do agree that any team can lose to any team.

But the two biggest reasons a better teams loses to an inferior team in the playoffs is 1) goalie 2) lack of will.

The Bruins had too many guys this past year not committed and they lost to an inferior team. The Caps came to play and play balls out.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:27 PM
  #695
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
How did our Cup winning Bruins team do vs Carolina last year when they played?
Bad. So?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:28 PM
  #696
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,598
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
OK, so I get it straight....Bruins last 4 outages in the play-offs...

1. vs Montreal, learning experience
2. vs Carolina, didn't know how to win
3. vs Philly, injuries
4. vs Washington, tired.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:28 PM
  #697
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,598
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
THe difference between you and me is that I analyze what the team is when they lose, and you invite the Spanish Inquisition over for tea.

Not everything we did was a failure just because it coincided with a first round exit for crying out loud.
Hahhaah I like this one...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:30 PM
  #698
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,598
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Bad. So?
So it's conceivable the same batch of Bruins may have similiar results to an even better Canes team this time around?

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:30 PM
  #699
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
OK, so I get it straight....Bruins last 4 outages in the play-offs...

1. vs Montreal, learning experience
2. vs Carolina, didn't know how to win
3. vs Philly, injuries
4. vs Washington, tired.
1. I was proud of that team and how they played in that series.

2 They didn't. I don't think of it as an excuse, I think of it as an indictment.

3. Ugh, no. ****ing shameful.

4. Again, a huge indictment. No excuses.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:31 PM
  #700
RussellmaniaKW
Registered User
 
RussellmaniaKW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I think that's a bad rap. The guys have won a gold medal in the olympics and have a pretty decent playoff track record.

The fact that their goalie gave them zero chance to win in 3 of the games in the finals was a bigger factor than any sort of swedish psyche problem.
well first of all I didn't say it's because they're Swedish. I don't think that way so please don't put words in my mouth. There are some tough as nails players from every hockey nation.

I just think those two guys in particular simply don't have the mindset to win that last game. Also, it's easy to blame Luongo, but you could just as easily point to the fact that they have very little toughness on D in front of him. If I were the Nucks GM I'd seriously think about what kind of return the twins could net me b/c I think Kesler could easily be my top centerman if it makes me deeper at every other position. It's too bad they traded away Hodgson, though b/c he'd be an ideal #2 Center in that scenario.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.