HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lack of Bruins Free Agency Part IV

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-06-2012, 10:59 PM
  #726
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Okay, so here is the thing. I realize Krejci's injury was a huge deal, buuuuuut they still could have won it in OT of Game 4 (Recchi missing the Bergeron pass).
I imagine you'll find at least one good blown scoring chance to obsess over in any OTL. Goodness knows the Habs had a couple one year later. And we had that one really great one last year.

Quote:
And Game 7 they had it. They had it.
In the first period they had it. So what? They didn't have the horses to press the attack. They had to go into a defensive shell. And no lead is safe if you're playing defense for 60+% of the minutes on the ice.

Quote:
That Philly team wasn't so great that even a battered Bruins team couldn't win one in four
That was not a Bruins team. That was maybe 6 standing Boston Bruins and half the Providence roster, plus Miro Satan who was plucked off the scrap heap to help and played a bigger role out of sheer necessity than we like to remember.

Quote:
(Really, they beat a **** Montreal team in Round 3 when the magic dust left the crease, and that Chicago team had the goaltending to match Philly.....which is something else we forget, we lost to Philly when they had revolving sacks of **** in net.)
If we'd had even the vestiges of a functioning offense, some of this might almost matter. The fact is that we didn't even have the guns to beat even guys like Boucher and Leighton dependably. I've always felt we were lucky to get the three goals we got.

When we had an actual offense the following season we turned their little spit-and-string goalie tandem inside out and upside down. But to pretend we actually had the manpower to do that at the end of the run in 09-10 is just delusional, I'm sorry.

Quote:
They gagged. Especially in Game 7. Sure, some **** turned and it got harder, but not impossible. You can fairly say a lot went wrong, but that doesn't excuse them for losing that series.
I'm sorry, does something have to be impossible to recognize the severity of the disadvantages they were laboring under? Sure, a miracle could strike and they could have stolen -- I repeat, STOLEN -- one of those 4 games. Heck it nearly happened no less than 3 times, it just didn't actually.

And believe me, it would have taken a miracle. I was amazed at how well that Bruins team fought in those last 4 games, giving themselves chance after chance for a stroke of luck to save them. If it wasn't to be, it wasn't to be.

But to look at that and say that the problem was the personnel we had on the ice gagging, or choking, or not wanting it hard enough -- well that's just wrong, and insanely wrong, and bears no resemblance to what I saw in the parts of the series I was able to watch.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:03 PM
  #727
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
I imagine you'll find at least one good blown scoring chance to obsess over in any OTL. Goodness knows the Habs had a couple one year later. And we had that one really great one last year.



In the first period they had it. So what? They didn't have the horses to press the attack. They had to go into a defensive shell. And no lead is safe if you're playing defense for 60+% of the minutes on the ice.



That was not a Bruins team. That was maybe 6 standing Boston Bruins and half the Providence roster, plus Miro Satan who was plucked off the scrap heap to help and played a bigger role out of sheer necessity than we like to remember.



If we'd had even the vestiges of a functioning offense, some of this might almost matter. The fact is that we didn't even have the guns to beat even guys like Boucher and Leighton dependably. I've always felt we were lucky to get the three goals we got.

When we had an actual offense the following season we turned their little spit-and-string goalie tandem inside out and upside down. But to pretend we actually had the manpower to do that at the end of the run in 09-10 is just delusional, I'm sorry.



I'm sorry, does something have to be impossible to recognize the severity of the disadvantages they were laboring under? Sure, a miracle could strike and they could have stolen -- I repeat, STOLEN -- one of those 4 games. Heck it nearly happened no less than 3 times, it just didn't actually.

And believe me, it would have taken a miracle. I was amazed at how well that Bruins team fought in those last 4 games, giving themselves chance after chance for a stroke of luck to save them. If it wasn't to be, it wasn't to be.

But to look at that and say that the problem was the personnel we had on the ice gagging, or choking, or not wanting it hard enough -- well that's just wrong, and insanely wrong, and bears no resemblance to what I saw in the parts of the series I was able to watch.
You literally don't know how to have a civil conversation.

You just are incapable of having a discussion where you aren't condescending.

You didn't watch Game 7. Stop talking about how they had to go into a shell. They didn't. You can ask all the people that actually watched what they think of that line of thinking.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:11 PM
  #728
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
You literally don't know how to have a civil conversation.

You just are incapable of having a discussion where you aren't condescending.
I think you need a quick look in the mirror, Everett. Do you some good.

Quote:
You didn't watch Game 7. Stop talking about how they had to go into a shell. They didn't. You can ask all the people that actually watched what they think of that line of thinking.
I didn't need to watch that one game to know what happened. Because it was what had happened in the other three. You can't sit back and protect a lead for 40+ minutes and expect it to hold. And the Bruins weren't able to mount enough of an offensive attack to do anything other than sit back and protect the lead.

Part of the reason I don't care that much about what happened in that series is because I'd infinitely prefer to lose the way we did, then let the Habs walk through us to the Finals. And if you don't think that's what happens if we win that series, I just don't know what to say to you. What was left of that Bruins team was no match at all for the Habs, even with Markov out. They had their own health issues but nothing like ours.

MAYBE if we get Seids back and he's the Seids we know now, we have a chance, but I don't remember if he was a candidate to come back for that series or not, and I don't think he was. Either way it doesn't affect the issues we were going to have with our offense.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:16 PM
  #729
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
I think you need a quick look in the mirror, Everett. Do you some good.
Really? My post to you was respectful. I presented my counter without telling you your opinion was wrong. I didn't present mine like a cold-hard fact. I'd also be more than willing to let the board speak to which one of us can have a civil debate and which one can't.


Quote:
I didn't need to watch that one game to know what happened. Because it was what had happened in the other three. You can't sit back and protect a lead for 40+ minutes and expect it to hold. And the Bruins weren't able to mount enough of an offensive attack to do anything other than sit back and protect the lead.

Part of the reason I don't care that much about what happened in that series is because I'd infinitely prefer to lose the way we did, then let the Habs walk through us to the Finals. And if you don't think that's what happens if we win that series, I just don't know what to say to you. What was left of that Bruins team was no match at all for the Habs, even with Markov out. They had their own health issues but nothing like ours.
The reverse logic is mind-numbing.

So they were good enough to attack and get a three goal lead.....but not good enough to sit back on it? So why did they sit back? I mean, I know you didn't watch, so you don't know if they did or not, but they did. They sat back while we were all screaming for them not to do that.

Go back and look at that GDT. We were flipping out about going into a shell, which you just said yourself they weren't good enough to do.

The last part is irrelevant to whether or not they gagged against Philly. I've heard that argument, not sure I agree with it, but there is some logic to it.

Oh, wait, sorry. Let me try it again.

Anyone that thinks Montreal would have run over them is wrong - simply wrong - insanely wrong - stupidly wrong - wrong wrong.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:18 PM
  #730
MarshmontMcSlewfoot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
Yah. Mike is right and Dojjii is in coockoo world telling people who watched the game they are wrong.

I was there and remember well (unfortunately.)

The Bruins were NOT able to take the momentum of the first period into the dressing room because the Flyers got a soft goal right at the end of the first period. What should have been a 3 goal lead was 2. In a do or die game 7. Its a tough spot to play in because they thought they had won the game yet had a small lead.

Emotionally its a little easier to see in Basketball. Look at the Kentucky tournament games. They got 20+ point leads in every game in the last few rounds of the tournament. BUt since its so hard to emotionally play with that big a lead in all those games the other teams chipped it down to 10 at some point. Seeing a 30 point lead go to 12 screws with you emotionally its why teams blow huge leads and ultimately lose. (Think Pats Conference Championship against the Colts the refs stole a score on a ******** offensive PI call on Troy Brown and that extra score we needed wasn't there and the team couldn't stop manning.) And when you are up 30 you can't play like the game is tied so a competent opponent will probably cut into the lead.

The team emotionally went into a shell in the second and third periods of game 7 and Rask was not able to bail them out. The goals might have been more bad luck instead of him sucking but trust me if Thomas was in net that game 7 and let in the goals Tuukka did he never plays another game in Boston.

The team knew it. Chara even went out of his way to try and get Pronger to fight him to change momentum.


Now...I was proud of that team regardless. That season sucked but they had a respectable playoffs and were playing hockey when losers like the Rangers and Sabres were golfing. I sort of embrace losing in that dramatic fashion I am proud of my teams for not going out like bittches when my boys lose its not like we weren't close to silverware. I like contending EVERY YEAR in EVERY SPORT. So I stomach the terrible loses.


Last edited by doubleminor138: 08-07-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: personal attack
MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:22 PM
  #731
MarshmontMcSlewfoot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
And we could have beat Montreal I was ****ing pumped at the thought of coming into the Garden for G1 that Sunday afternoon against the dirty habs. We'd have got swept in the Finals but so what Philly got their ***** swept.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:31 PM
  #732
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
The reverse logic is mind-numbing.

So they were good enough to attack and get a three goal lead.....but not good enough to sit back on it? So why did they sit back? I mean, I know you didn't watch, so you don't know if they did or not, but they did. They sat back while we were all screaming for them not to do that.
Mm-hmm. The fact that Philly played some bad hockey in the first period doesn't mean that this team had the ability to keep up with them. I'd ascribe the early lead almost entirely to Philly's bad defense and goaltending -- that, and the fact that the real Milan Lucic chose to show up for the first time all year. Too little, too late, but it *was* nice to see him again. Until the Flyers managed to adjust, it gave is something resembling a second offensive threat and that made it easier for awhile.

Thing is, shutting down the Bruins was too easy at that point. Just neutralize Bergeron, and don't give the PCS version of Savard a chance to have the flash in the pan he pulled in Game 1. That allowed the Flyers to line up the few good defensive players they did have and make matchups way too easy.

Given the Flyers' awful defense overall, It's probably not that surprising that the Bruins could pull some successful attacks in the first period. Julien is a good coach, and he wasn't completely weaponless. However, given that Laviolette is no idiot, and had a lot more to work with in terms of making in game adjustments, playing matchups, and sustaining pressure, I'd think it would also be predictable that they'd climb back into the game late. It was simply a question of whether the Bruins could hold on defensively. And in the end, it really shouldn't surprise anyone when they didn't. Not when 3 of your 4 centers are 4th line schlubs and a guy whose career was more or less over.
Quote:
Go back and look at that GDT. We were flipping out about going into a shell, which you just said yourself they weren't good enough to do.
They weren't good enough to do anything else either, unfortunately. That's the problem.

You still seem to have this idea that there was something the bruins could have done. I don't. I think they left it all on the ice, especially in game 7, and it wasn't enough. Sometimes that happens.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:39 PM
  #733
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!
 
PatriceBergeronFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
If I watch every game from now till hell freezes over it changes nothing at this point.
You didn't even watch a GAME SEVEN!?! What?! The?! Hell!?!!

No offense. But sheesh!!!

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:39 PM
  #734
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Mm-hmm. The fact that Philly played some bad hockey in the first period doesn't mean that this team had the ability to keep up with them. I'd ascribe the early lead almost entirely to Philly's bad defense and goaltending -- that, and the fact that the real Milan Lucic chose to show up for the first time all year. Too little, too late, but it *was* nice to see him again. Until the Flyers managed to adjust, it gave is something resembling a second offensive threat and that made it easier for awhile.

Thing is, shutting down the Bruins was too easy at that point. Just neutralize Bergeron, and don't give the PCS version of Savard a chance to have the flash in the pan he pulled in Game 1. That allowed the Flyers to line up the few good defensive players they did have and make matchups way too easy.

Given the Flyers' awful defense overall, It's probably not that surprising that the Bruins could pull some successful attacks in the first period. Julien is a good coach, and he wasn't completely weaponless. However, given that Laviolette is no idiot, and had a lot more to work with in terms of making in game adjustments, playing matchups, and sustaining pressure, I'd think it would also be predictable that they'd climb back into the game late. It was simply a question of whether the Bruins could hold on defensively. And in the end, it really shouldn't surprise anyone when they didn't. Not when 3 of your 4 centers are 4th line schlubs and a guy whose career was more or less over.


They weren't good enough to do anything else either, unfortunately. That's the problem.

You still seem to have this idea that there was something the bruins could have done. I don't. I think they left it all on the ice, especially in game 7, and it wasn't enough. Sometimes that happens.
You talk with such authority about things that supposedly happened or didn't happen in this game that you didn't watch.

I actually find it remarkable.

Needless to say, I disagree with just about all of what you said here, but what's the point? Right? You know what you know, and you are more concerned with insulting me than you are discussing it.

Let someone else take the bait. I'm tired tonight.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:47 PM
  #735
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Well what do you want me to say? I can't blame the entire postseason on Savard's too many men penalty in the overtime. And I'm not the sort to fail to tell the difference between "trying and failing" and "failing to try." I know some are, but I try to have more distance and perspective than that.

Just because I wasn't watching doesn't mean I wasn't paying attention. It was like a knife going in when the Flyers tied it, and I would have rather died than watch Savard throw away an entire postseason like that. But what can you do? Any reasonable analysis of what the teams had to throw at each other would force you to give the Flyers a huge advantage in Game 7. And as much as you might not want them to, the percentages matter.

Sure they can be beat, but holding someone's feet to the fire for failing to accomplish a highly improbable task is not my thing. That was not a particularly winnable game, so holding the team responsible THREE FREAKING YEARS AND A ******* CUP LATER is just bizarre.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:07 AM
  #736
MarshmontMcSlewfoot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
Savards penalty was on the D.

We passed the puck through a line change 40-50 seconds earlier and then ****ing did it right again (and we had done it one prior time that overtime it got called on Savvy the third time.)

I called it before it happened since they could have called too many men a minute earlier. So when Boychuk or whoever did it again when flustered for the second time in a minute they had to call it (it might not have been John B but it was the same guy since its OT and a long change and the D man who's fault it was was obviously tired.) Watch it over and you will see the previous line change the D man freakin played the puck into a group of guys jumping off the bench.


(I was like nooo too many men don't play the puck there....then a minute later I said nooooooooo too many men you did it again reverse it or something....then I saw the ref raise his arm of course. That night I knew what it was like to be alive in the 70s and be a Bruins fan.)

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:12 AM
  #737
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
I kind of hope it was Hunwick. We're allowed to hate Hunwick.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:15 AM
  #738
MarshmontMcSlewfoot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
Its cool we can discuss that awful game barely over 2 years ago light heartedly. Geez no Cup and most of us would be running for razor blades at the mention of that game.

I bought a hat during the first intermission and got scolded by the lady behind me for being a jinx since she noticed it. I'd still feel guilty about that if we didn't have a Cup lol.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:20 AM
  #739
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time
 
KCBRUIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kansas City Mo.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,938
vCash: 500
Looking at the schedule I can't believe they only 3 home games in the month of February. That's going to be tough stretch of the season.

KCBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:26 AM
  #742
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Game time, baby
Country: United States
Posts: 38,638
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Mike Richards should have been called for a charging penalty on that first goal. Had the refs done thier job the Bruins would have easily won that game IMO. No 3-1 going into period 2 and the Flyers would have been dead IMO.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:28 AM
  #743
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
and i get that they were injured greatly in 10, but they still got out to a 3-0 lead in game 7 on home ice...no excuse to blow that. they even had Dennis Wideman.

I just don't believe that the canucks are these big bad playoff chokers for also being hurt and making it to game 7 of the cup finals. How is that being internet tough guy? I think its being completely sane to view the Bruins and other teams with the same eyes.

That's all my point is. I don't think its choking in the playoffs and laughable to call a team that has won multiple presidents trophies and made it to game 7 of the Stanley cup an elite team. Mind blowing that this thought is being an internet tough guy here now.

Go Bruins rah rah rah.
Agreed, my disdain for the Nucks aside, they aren`t chokers, now Luongo however.....anyway you cut it, is any team more disappointing on a yearly basis by having consistent pre-season expectations over the years fall way short as the SJ Sharks???

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:36 AM
  #745
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
Agreed, Joe gets some flack, and its deserved because he's the captain...but man, his support just flat out disappears.

I would say the capitals as well before this year...when ovechkin was tearing it up, they never could enjoy success cause green, semin, and the gang would absolutely disappear.
I`ve actually always been impressed with Joe come playoff time with the Sharks, hasn`t wilted at all, like you said, his teammates go AWOL yearly which is unfortunate, love to see what Joe could have been in a Bruins uni

And the Caps........yeah, tis what happens when a coach has no defensive gameplan at all, there`s letting the boys play, and there`s giving them the green light after they have taken care of their own zone, kind of CJ`s line of thinking, look after your own end/defensive responsibilities first, and the offense will follow..........sometimes

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:24 AM
  #746
RussellmaniaKW
Registered User
 
RussellmaniaKW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Mike Richards should have been called for a charging penalty on that first goal. Had the refs done thier job the Bruins would have easily won that game IMO. No 3-1 going into period 2 and the Flyers would have been dead IMO.
lol now who's making excuses?

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:26 AM
  #747
RussellmaniaKW
Registered User
 
RussellmaniaKW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,627
vCash: 500
also I just want to say that it's remarkable that the rules of this site allow a Dojii to make 16 thousand posts worth of utter drivel but I'll likely be infracted for this post.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:08 PM
  #748
Shaun
twitter:shaunjamesss
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 22,742
vCash: 500
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Jeff Skinner's extension with CAR expected to be 6 years with an AAV of $5.725M.

Tyler will probably get around the same amount if not more

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:08 PM
  #749
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Jeff Skinner's extension with CAR expected to be 6 years with an AAV of $5.725M.

Tyler will probably get around the same amount if not more
Like I saaaaaid.

Tyler's next contract will start with a 6.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:28 PM
  #750
Shaun
twitter:shaunjamesss
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 22,742
vCash: 500
Get ready


Quote:
Alex Kovalev to Allhockey.Ru: "I am going to North America. I have offers from several teams''

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.