HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikael Samuelsson on Canucks Management, Burrows

Old
07-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Gormo
Holupchi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Matt Cooke (most/all directed at Vigneault as well).

meh.....(re: these two clowns).

You're *always* going to have *some* ex-players having an axe to grind with respect to former coaches (see the greatest coach of all time - Scotty Bowman).
Off the top of my head Willie Mitchell, Pavol Demitra and obviously Cody Hodgson seemed to have serious problems with the dude.

Honestly why is AV even back? Does anyone think hes capable of making the necessary changes in his style? How will things be different this time?

Last edited by Gormo: 07-12-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Gormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Think it had more to do with Romes hit and the fact our team lost Hamhuis. And didn't one of the Boston players bit a finger the season after or before?! Thought Carcillo said something like that.

I don't know what Samuelssons doing. Think he's just butt hurt we sent him to Florida.
Completely right. I don't think any veteran player is going to be happy with management after dumping them in Florida so quick to the season, but it was the right thing to do considering how injured Mikael was and how sub-par he was the year before the trade (yeah, yeah I know 50 points, 32 assists blah blah blah) the fact of the matter is a lot of those points came from the Sedins turning chicken **** into chicken salad and getting to play on a ridiculously good PP. He was still useful, but by playoffs it was pretty noticeable he was just too broken down a mule to help us.

As for the Boston series, losing Hammer did hurt, but we still won game 2 and 5 (and most of game 1) without him. The straw that broke the camel's back is more likely Rome hitting Horton. Rome was a more reliable defender than people were giving him credit for I think and was playing quasi-top 4 minutes and really at the peak of his game before that. We lost a really good defender and fired Boston up and they really turned up the heat after the 1st period and really, we had little fight left in us just to get there.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Hal 9000*

How many people gotta come out against the Canucks management before people start to realize that there is a trend of disrespect building.

I can't think of any other team in the NHL that has had so many players imply that the management treated then with an unreasonable amount of disrespect.

P.S - I rarely side with millionaire hockey players, but I think if this continues, it will hurt the hockey team.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
I can't think of any other team in the NHL that has had so many players imply that the management treated then with an unreasonable amount of disrespect.
Who exactly?

Hodgson always said he was treated with the utmost respect as a Canuck. The only issue came after he was dealt when Gillis decided to share the reason for his departure...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:31 PM
jigsaw99

Im pretty sure the beef with management starts with AV.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:33 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gormo View Post
Off the top of my head Willie Mitchell, Pavol Demitra and obviously Cody Hodgson seemed to have serious problems with the dude.

Honestly why is AV even back? Does anyone think hes capable of making the necessary changes in his style? How will things be different this time?
Don't forget Obrien and Naslund too.

It's AV's I don't want ot get involved with the players attitude and the fact that he plays favorites.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:34 PM
arttk

Quote:

A coach is suppose to instill discipline and get his players to do what he wants and that does not always equal to what the players like. Coach is suppose to win games, not make friends. The players are paid millions to deal with it.

arttk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
How many people gotta come out against the Canucks management before people start to realize that there is a trend of disrespect building.

P.S - I rarely side with millionaire hockey players, but I think if this continues, it will hurt the hockey team.
Most of it has been directed towards AV. Ask a lot of employees how they like their boss and the answer will be "not very much" but they are still very profitable and productive companies.

The sky is not falling my friend, this is just a player speaking his mind. Like another poster said, there were many players that didn't like Bowman at all that were much more talented than Samuelsson and look how many rings Scotty has.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:59 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McCracken View Post
Well stated. Ironic that Gillis is morphing into Burke since they are the 2 most overrated GM's in the league. He should actually be thanking the Burke regime for leaving the pieces behind that have made Gillis appear better than he is up to now.

And those slamming Samuelsson should make sure they speak into the one ear he has that isn't plugged up with a Stanley Cup ring.
Im sure he can hear right after doing absolutely nothing in the playoffs aside from 1 series. Good riddance to a soft overpaid player who was butt hurt that he was moved because of his lazy, carefree play.

In terms if Gillis, seems like more and more people are acting like ex GFs when one of their Fav players is traded or not retained. Just upset and unable to look at how different this team is.

Burke inherited just as much and flushed those assets down the toilet. It's the reason the Canucks drafted so high to get guys like the Sedins. He's turned into this mythical legend that showered this team with assets

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:00 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Don't forget Obrien and Naslund too.

It's AV's I don't want ot get involved with the players attitude and the fact that he plays favorites.
Willie Mitchell also fought with teammates, so clearly he has a problem.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:03 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
He's had the attitude since day 1. I remember him saying ''I don't need this job'' like wow we're so lucky to have him!

In 4 years he's made it past the second round one time with a great core already in place. A great GM would have got this team a cup by now.
You have a link for that quote?

Funny how you interpreted that, I didn't take it that way at all.

Seems like an inferiority complex to me if you deciphered that.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:41 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
You have a link for that quote?

Funny how you interpreted that, I didn't take it that way at all.

Seems like an inferiority complex to me if you deciphered that.
Inferiority complex? More like an outstanding memory.

It would be nice if others could remember quotes from 4 years ago so I don't have to go on a search to find a recap of his press conference, Im not a secretary.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:50 PM
arttk

Quote:

It would be nice if others could remember quotes from 4 years ago so I don't have to go on a search to find a recap of his press conference, Im not a secretary.
So you don't have a quote. It is funny that nobody remembers that but you.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:58 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arttk View Post
So you don't have a quote. It is funny that nobody remembers that but you.
I listen for the important details, when a new GM says he didn't need to take the job I take notice.

Times like this I wish there was a poster that looked over threads like a mother hawk and provided links whenever someone asked for one. I don't have archives I'm sorry.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:01 AM
IComeInPeace

I liked (and I guess still like) Sammy...

But, recall, he also went into whine mode when he didn't get to play for Team Sweden at the Olympics last yr.
It seems he carries a bit of a chip on his shoulder and doesn't take rejection all that well.

But, Gillis and Co. should take note. Right or wrong, perception is what matters in the end.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:

His job is to have them play well, not be their friend. He has done that.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:14 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
His job is to have them play well, not be their friend. He has done that.
If we're judging him on his most recent playoff performance and even the uninspired season that proceeded it, one could argue AV did a terrible job motivating his team this season.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:23 AM
arttk

Quote:
I listen for the important details, when a new GM says he didn't need to take the job I take notice.

Times like this I wish there was a poster that looked over threads like a mother hawk and provided links whenever someone asked for one. I don't have archives I'm sorry.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=512818&page=3

Dug back and this is one of the paraphrased quote from the first interview he did with Pratt and Taylor.
Taylor: What's it like coming to an insane hockey market like Vancouver? Is he ready for the pressure?

Gillis: Not sure if you're ever completely ready for this. Doesn't know what could ever prepare you to be ready for this. But relishes the idea of working here, starts saying Zimmerman is awesome. Says a ton of good pieces here, if you ever wanted to be a GM, this was the time/place to do it. Says it's better when people have an opinion. Says it can help bring in players who like playing in a hockey market. Says you have to focus on making the negatives of playing here into positives.

Doesn't sound like he is indifferent about taking the GM job.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:28 AM
arttk

Quote:
If we're judging him on his most recent playoff performance and even the uninspired season that proceeded it, one could argue AV did a terrible job motivating his team this season.
This I agree, I just don't agree with the notion that you should fire him because some ex-players don't like him.
He did under achieved last year but then he did get to the game 7 of the SCF the year before and he has two Jack Adams (not sure 1 or 2) and 2 back to back presidents trophy. You can disagree with how he treats his players and how he manages the team (arguably fans will disagree with any coach we bring in) but you cannot argue with the results. He has a contract extension but surely if he under achieves again next season (can't get past first round) he will be gone.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:28 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=512818&page=3

Dug back and this is one of the paraphrased quote from the first interview he did with Pratt and Taylor.
Taylor: What's it like coming to an insane hockey market like Vancouver? Is he ready for the pressure?

Gillis: Not sure if you're ever completely ready for this. Doesn't know what could ever prepare you to be ready for this. But relishes the idea of working here, starts saying Zimmerman is awesome. Says a ton of good pieces here, if you ever wanted to be a GM, this was the time/place to do it. Says it's better when people have an opinion. Says it can help bring in players who like playing in a hockey market. Says you have to focus on making the negatives of playing here into positives.

Doesn't sound like he is indifferent about taking the GM job.
That's not his opening press conference.

Probably decided to change his tone.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:43 AM
AvantiCanada*

Gillis was handed some fine pieces to work with and the pressure on him to turn this into a SC winner is huge.

I suspect he has 2 more years tops to win before he is axed and a new GM is brought in to give it one last go with this core before dismantling and starting fresh.

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:49 AM
arttk

Quote:
That's not his opening press conference.

Probably decided to change his tone.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=509739

This is the thread for the first press conference. Nowhere does any poster talk about Mike Gillis not wanting to be there. Sorry but I doubt that you were able to catch something that somehow everyone here missed and even people who went on to download the podcast to listen to every single detail.

If there is one thing we know, Gillis doesn't change his tone. He has been very consistent in everything he does so far.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:50 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

We need more grumps in our line-up like Samuelsson, Hansen and Ballard; not less.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:03 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:

So you have no link? essentially what you stated is BS unless you back it up. Shouldnt be surprised though.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:04 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=509739

This is the thread for the first press conference. Nowhere does any poster talk about Mike Gillis not wanting to be there. Sorry but I doubt that you were able to catch something that somehow everyone here missed and even people who went on to download the podcast to listen to every single detail.

If there is one thing we know, Gillis doesn't change his tone. He has been very consistent in everything he does so far.
Great job. I suspected as much with that poster.

Like I said, possible inferiority complex and also loves hearing what he wants to hear.