HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

CBA Insight from a player

Old
07-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
CBA Insight from a player

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...3225--nhl.html

Good article on Puck Daddy. Anonymous current player (I really want to know who this is because they know their **** obviously. Well spoken.) talking about the current CBA negotiations.

In my opinion there is a LOT to be hopeful here in this article. He doesn't sound overly optimistic, or overly dreary. But I pulled a lot of hopeful things from this.

The league is doing super well. The players know it, the fans know it, the owners know it. Let's not screw it up.

The revenue sharing needs to be fixed, and that might be the big hinging point. As long as things stay civil, I think we will have hockey in October.

Last edited by Chazz Reinhold: 07-12-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: added heading
Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:05 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

People should keep in mind that this negotiation can go into a new season without a lockout so long as both sides are still coming to the table. They would just play on the old agreement until a new one is signed.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:30 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
People should keep in mind that this negotiation can go into a new season without a lockout so long as both sides are still coming to the table. They would just play on the old agreement until a new one is signed.
That I didn't know. I always assumed that they couldn't continue because the agreement expired.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:36 PM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
That I didn't know. I always assumed that they couldn't continue because the agreement expired.
Yeah they can say we'll start the season and use the old CBA while we negotiate a new one that can be finalized during the season and take effect the following season.

SCARFACE909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:59 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
The owners would be rather stupid to do so. Fehr led MLB players to a strike near the end of a season once before. It would be incredibly dumb for Bettman to allow the NHL to be put in a similar situation.

The #1 issue for players should be revenue sharing among the owners and the expansion of the definition of hockey related revenue and/or the accounting of it by an independent agency.

The #1 issue for owners is going to be cutting the percentage of the players' revenue pie down to something approaching 50%.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:56 PM
tsanuri

I think the only way the season starts without a new contract is if both parties agree in writing that they won't lock the other side out or go on strike during the season or playoffs.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The owners would be rather stupid to do so. Fehr led MLB players to a strike near the end of a season once before. It would be incredibly dumb for Bettman to allow the NHL to be put in a similar situation.

The #1 issue for players should be revenue sharing among the owners and the expansion of the definition of hockey related revenue and/or the accounting of it by an independent agency.

The #1 issue for owners is going to be cutting the percentage of the players' revenue pie down to something approaching 50%.
This, this, and this

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:56 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

After reading that I am not quite as scared though.

It seems that the players and owners BOTH know what is at stake. They have some big issues to address but neither want a work stoppage and both seem willing to work. Unlike some other previous lockouts when that wasn't the case. Someone is always hard nosed.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:50 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
If I was an owner, the issue of cap circumvention would be almost just as important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
After reading that I am not quite as scared though.

It seems that the players and owners BOTH know what is at stake. They have some big issues to address but neither want a work stoppage and both seem willing to work. Unlike some other previous lockouts when that wasn't the case. Someone is always hard nosed.
I'm not as optimistic. Prior to the last lock out, both sides sounded cordial as well.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
If I was an owner, the issue of cap circumvention would be almost just as important.

I'm not as optimistic. Prior to the last lock out, both sides sounded cordial as well.
Cordial yes but determined? No.

Before last lockout there was seemingly this Mexican standoff feel. This one is like more of a....bad relationship situation. Neither of them want to approach the subject because it could turn bad but both parties know they need to but want to move forward.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:18 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

If I was an owner of a small market team this would be near the top of the list. ALL of the owners will want the players' share of the revenue pie reduced.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote