HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Roberto Luongo XXIII - Next Fall - Administrator Warning Post #548

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2012, 09:18 AM
ndgt10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
An Oilers fan offered 2 1sts, PRV, and a mid prospect for Luongo.

I would probably do it. Potentially 2 top 10 picks?
Not enough imo.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:18 AM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
An Oilers fan offered 2 1sts, PRV, and a mid prospect for Luongo.

I would probably do it. Potentially 2 top 10 picks?
I bet you would. The Oilers wouldn't, that's for sure.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Oil Change

vCash: 50
I wouldn't take Luongo for free

Old
07-13-2012, 09:19 AM
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂ ▂

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barklez View Post
Not a fan of either team, but a buddy of mine suggested this at the bar last night and I wanted to gauge peoples' opinion of this.

To Edmonton:
Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver:
Taylor Hall

Thoughts? Who adds and how much?

Curious for both EDM and VAN fans opinions but also other fans, as this seems like a pretty fair trade IMO.
Taylor Hall is 13 years younger, why in the world does Edmonton make this trade?
Luongo doesn't have the value that Hall does, not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post
I would like to get Luongo but not at the price of one of the big four.

Counter:

To Van - PRV, 2013 1st, 2014 1st, maybe a middle prospect

To EDM - Luongo

Van clears cap space to trade for a Nash or a D.

EDM gives up some future to prove they want to win now.
No offense, but YO what is this can't believe an Oilers fan would give up that much for Luongo and his contract, LOL.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:26 AM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
I honestly don't know why people on a forum try to outbluff each other. It's ridiculous.

Anybody with a shred of common sense know Lu wants to leave, or Gillis wants him traded.

He'll be gone before the season starts.
Bingo. He's been quite polite about the whole trade request but there's no way he's coming back to Vancouver. And when he gets traded it'll be for a cap dump and a C prospect instead of the multiple first round picks / top prospects that some people here are dreaming about.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
It's a little exasperating how every now and then some new faces show up and start blasting Luongo's contract without knowing anything more than "10 years".

It has been discussed numerous times that it's a cap-circumvention contract, he even said in an interview the contract is longer than he'd want to play for.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilkos Ghost View Post
Seriously, no team brings a player back into the dressing room for a new season when that player has requested to be moved, for whatever reason. It doesn't happen.
Why not? He hasn't thrown any teammates under the bus or the organization. He's still a tremendous Goaltender and would certainly be a professional about it.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
I honestly don't know why people on a forum try to outbluff each other. It's ridiculous.

Anybody with a shred of common sense know Lu wants to leave, or Gillis wants him traded.

He'll be gone before the season starts.

A bluff implies deception. There's no deception in saying Luongo is currently under contract to the Canucks and will perform to his duties therein. If that means he has to be here to start the season -- then that's exactly what's going to happen. You may not like it. In fact, _he_ may not like it. Doesn't matter in either case because MG is his boss.

It's all on Gillis. He holds Luongo's rights. If he wants to move him during the offseason, he will. If he wants to waive him, he will. If he wants to keep him to start the season... he will.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Angelus*
Smile Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
The Canucks wouldn't make a trade that would improve the Oilers by that margin.
Oh yes, it's the Canucks who wouldn't make that trade.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Darnell McNurse
Nerf McDavid

vCash: 250
Quote:
Not a fan of either team, but a buddy of mine suggested this at the bar last night and I wanted to gauge peoples' opinion of this.

To Edmonton:
Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver:
Taylor Hall

Curious for both EDM and VAN fans opinions but also other fans, as this seems like a pretty fair trade IMO.
How is this a remotely fair trade? Vancouver trades their backup goalie for a top 6 forward with potential to be a star? More like Hall for Edler.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:37 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
A bluff implies deception. There's no deception in saying Luongo is currently under contract to the Canucks and will perform to his duties therein. If that means he has to be here to start the season -- then that's exactly what's going to happen. You may not like it. In fact, _he_ may not like it. Doesn't matter in either case because MG is his boss.

It's all on Gillis. He holds Luongo's rights. If he wants to move him during the offseason, he will. If he wants to waive him, he will. If he wants to keep him to start the season... he will.
Except that according to Luongo they have a mutual agreement that he will be traded.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Angelus*
Smile Time!

I personally have zero interest in the Oilers aquiring Luongo (and Luongo wouldn't want to be here anyways) but the fact is he asked for a trade. That sets the term for the bargain right there. You will never get fair value for a player that publically wants out. Not to mention his gargantuan contract. Hypothetically if there was a trade to be made it would involve the Canucks taking back salary (Horcoff likely and he's from BC) and Hall/Eberle/RNH/Yakupov are ABSOLUTELY off the table!!

I'd be loathe to even send them a first rounder with Paajarvi let alone two but I would part with 1 on the term that it is lottery-protected.

My two cents.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:41 AM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Quote:

It's all on Gillis. He holds Luongo's rights. If he wants move him during the offseason, he will. If he wants to waive him, he will. If he wants to keep him to start the season... he will.
You're over-estimating Gillis' leverage. Pro sports doesn't work like that at all. You can't keep Luongo in the locker room if he doesn't want to be there. A cup contender and cap team with $5.3m in pouting back-up goalie wasted cap space. Sure, technically Luongo is obligated to show up for camp and do his job, but Gillis is a fool if he doesn't trade him by October. He could go on waivers too and that says a lot about what his trade value is.

In any case, as soon as they started Schneider against LA, the writing was on the wall. Heck, for once, Luongo wasn't to blame for how the series had gone. The team doesn't believe in the goalie to win the big game and the goalie doesn't want to be a back-up.

Barring a reconciliation, there's no way he's on the Canucks at the beginning of the season. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
If the Oilers offer PRV, two 1sts and a mid level prospect to top it off, Mike Gillis takes it and run.

And that other offer with Taylor Hall? It's so bad for the Oilers it makes me, a Canucks fan, cringe.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNH View Post
How is this a remotely fair trade? Vancouver trades their backup goalie for a top 6 forward with potential to be a star? More like Hall for Edler.
He is a "backup" only in the sense we have two elite goaltenders. It is akin to saying Price was a backup when Halak stole the show or that Rask is one now. Granted, Schneider has a lot to prove, thus by a elite I specifically mean in potential. Either way, I agree this is a poor trade for Edmonton. Hall does more for you guys than Luongo would however purely due to our rivalry, it does make sense Vancouver would demand something steep. It would never happen though.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Except that according to Luongo they have a mutual agreement that he will be traded.

A mutual agreement to be traded... not _when_ to be traded. A key difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
You're over-estimating Gillis' leverage. Pro sports doesn't work like that at all. You can't keep Luongo in the locker room if he doesn't want to be there. A cup contender and cap team with $5.3m in pouting back-up goalie wasted cap space. Sure, technically Luongo is obligated to show up for camp and do his job, but Gillis is a fool if he doesn't trade him by October. He could go on waivers too and that says a lot about what his trade value is.

In any case, as soon as they started Schneider against LA, the writing was on the wall. Heck, for once, Luongo wasn't to blame for how the series had gone. The team doesn't believe in the goalie to win the big game and the goalie doesn't want to be a back-up.

Barring a reconciliation, there's no way he's on the Canucks at the beginning of the season. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Whiny Luongo.

Distracted room.

No leverage.

Don't know pro sports.

MG a fool if not traded by Oct.

Writing on the wall.

etc...

All supposition and conjecture. I will rebut by saying this:

Luongo is under contract to the Canucks. Period.

Until you can refute _that_ particular statement, you've got nothing. That is the cold hard truth of this case. It's something people have been trying to obfuscate for multiple threads now, but to no avail. He is under contract and Gillis can do whatever he wants based on that premise alone. He needs nothing else.

For anyone to say 100% that Luongo must be traded during the offseason, they must be Mike Gillis. Are you MG?

Old
07-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
This is where you're getting lost. Luongo has an excellent relationship with his teammates, the coaches and management. He's not wanting out because he's unhappy with anyone, he's wanting out because he realizes Cory Schneider is a star in the making and he took his job. That, and apparently he wants to be closer to Florida for family reasons.

There's no reconciliation needed. Luongo's not unhappy with anyone.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:52 AM
GoTeamDom

Quote:

To Edmonton:
Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver:
Taylor Hall

Would prefer Eberle in Van over Hall.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
This is where you're getting lost. Luongo has an excellent relationship with his teammates, the coaches and management. He's not wanting out because he's unhappy with anyone, he's wanting out because he realizes Cory Schneider is a star in the making and he took his job. That, and apparently he wants to be closer to Florida for family reasons.

Of course he is, he wants Schneider's head on a milk carton.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Angelus*
Smile Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
Would prefer Eberle in Van over Hall.
Doesn't matter, they are untouchable.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:55 AM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Quote:

Whiny Luongo.

Distracted room.

No leverage.

Writing on the wall.

etc...

Luongo is under contract to the Canucks.

Until you can refute _that_ statement, you've got nothing. That is the cold hard truth of this case. It's something people have been trying to change for multiple threads now, but to no avail. He is under contract and Gillis can do whatever he wants based on that premise alone.

For anyone to say 100% that Luongo must be traded during the offseason, they must be Mike Gillis. Are you MG?
Why would I refute that statement? I already agreed with it. Gillis could play him on the Sedins' RW if he wants to. That doesn't mean he should, and it doesn't mean he will.

If you want to put your head in the sand WRT everything other than "he's under contract to the Canucks," then more power to you.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:58 AM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

For sure. He's been very amicable and respectful about the whole process. Not a bad word against anyone in the organization. By "reconciliation" I mean that the team and Luongo have to come up with a role for him that satisfies both parties, which IMO is unlikely since, as you said, Luongo wants to be the starter.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:58 AM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
A mutual agreement to be traded... not _when_ to be traded. A key difference.

Whiny Luongo.

Distracted room.

No leverage.

Don't know pro sports.

Writing on the wall.

etc...

Luongo is under contract to the Canucks. Period.

Until you can refute _that_ particular statement, you've got nothing. That is the cold hard truth of this case. It's something people have been trying to obfuscate for multiple threads now, but to no avail. He is under contract and Gillis can do whatever he wants based on that premise alone. He needs nothing else.

I am astounded that you think GMMG (or any GM for that matter) would be ok with going into a season with THAT kind of a distraction (look how many threads there are on this topic alone), but I guess this is HFboards after all. Sounds like you have your head buried deep in the sand.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNH View Post
Word of advice for oiler fans - this thread is for entertainment purposes only. Luongo is not getting traded to the oilers. Do not make direct contact with the posters in this thread

Old
07-13-2012, 10:03 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
Word of advice for oiler fans - this thread is for entertainment purposes only. Luongo is not getting traded to the oilers. Do not make direct contact with the posters in this thread
Agreed.
Anyways, any chance that if we add Raymond and Ballard the Oilers would up the offer to RNH. Probably a good time to trade him why his value is high and before they have to sign him to a big contract.

Closed Thread