HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo XXIII - Next Fall - Administrator Warning Post #548

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2012, 02:27 PM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
He's said he's agreed with the team that it's time to move on, so I suppose you could say the team has walked out on him, as well.

That said, I was referring to refusing to report to training camp or to play during the regular season, as I suspect you knew all along.
My response would be unchanged, that interview after the playoff loss should have been accompanied by a picture of a bridge burning.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Listen to that interview from last week and Luongo speaks about the Canucks in the past tense, that is where at least an ounce of doubt about him showing up for training camp should come from.
IMO it would be pretty darn stupid of him to hold out of training camp. First, he'd be in breach of his contract and wouldn't get paid. Second, if I'm a GM, I'm going to think twice about trading for a player who would sit out like that. I'd want character players on my team.

Of course, being a character player, IMO Luongo's not going to refuse to report to camp, and I doubt Vancouver will tell him to stay away.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
My response would be unchanged, that interview after the playoff loss should have been accompanied by a picture of a bridge burning.
I don't remember anything sounding vindictive or like an ultimatum in the course of that interview. Yes, it certainly sounds like he knows his time is done in Vancouver and he's on the way out, but I sensed no ill feelings.

But by holding out IMO he'd be shooting himself in the foot in a number of ways. I don't think the man is stupid, I think if he hasn't been traded by that point his sense of professionalism will be paramount and he'll show up. He may not be happy about it, but he'll be there.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:38 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Nash hasn't discounted holding out until a trade can be made while saying all of the right things.

Listen to that interview from last week and Luongo speaks about the Canucks in the past tense, that is where at least an ounce of doubt about him showing up for training camp should come from.
Wow you like to stir the pot on internet message boards:

If there is any "chance in hell" he'll be in a Canucks jersey this fall?
Quote:

"I would never say never. You never know."
- Roberto Luongo, during the same interview you are drawing doom and gloom conclusions about.

It's obviously not an ideal situation, but Luongo didn't discount returning...

...you continually suggesting he'll take his puck and sit at home is ridiculous.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Uh, nobody cares more about what fans and media say than Brian Burke.

The guy spends his days trying to get CBC media personalities fired because they paint him in a poor light...
Feel free to listen to some of he interviews of Burke on "primetime sports" with Bob McCowan. McCowan is the biggest Leaf basher of them all and Burke literally laughs at him evry time McCowan goes at him. If your going to wait,hoping Burke caves to the pressure of media....you are in for a long wait.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:42 PM
rune74

Quote:
There has to be at last a hundred posts of you making stuff like this up. I don't get it, do you think this will somehow lower the price the leafs need to pay? Do you realize you have no say in any of this?

Crazy.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:43 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I don't remember anything sounding vindictive or like an ultimatum in the course of that interview. Yes, it certainly sounds like he knows his time is done in Vancouver and he's on the way out, but I sensed no ill feelings.

But by holding out IMO he'd be shooting himself in the foot in a number of ways. I don't think the man is stupid, I think if he hasn't been traded by that point his sense of professionalism will be paramount and he'll show up. He may not be happy about it, but he'll be there.
I don't think that holding out affects what other GM's think about Luongo or value him one little bit. They know what is happening with the situation and there is a professional issue on the other side because Gillis has agreed to find him someplace else to play.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:46 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
There has to be at last a hundred posts of you making stuff like this up. I don't get it, do you think this will somehow lower the price the leafs need to pay? Do you realize you have no say in any of this?

Crazy.
I suppose, if I really cared a lot about Luongo ending up in Toronto.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
I don't think that holding out affects what other GM's think about Luongo or value him one little bit. They know what is happening with the situation and there is a professional issue on the other side because Gillis has agreed to find him someplace else to play.
I disagree. I think they'd also know that if Luongo is so unprofessional as to refuse to honor his contract with Vancouver, he may well do the same thing to them if there's something he wants that they don't pony up for him in a timely manner. If I'm a GM, I don't want someone like that on my team, so he could be harming his chances of being traded by showing himself to be lacking the character to honor his contract.

What exactly has Luongo actually done in the past that makes you think he would refuse to do this? I'm not talking about what you're reading into his statements or conclusions you've jumped to based on that, I'm asking what actual actions has he taken to indicate to you that he would stoop to this?

Old
07-13-2012, 02:49 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Wow you like to stir the pot on internet message boards:

If there is any "chance in hell" he'll be in a Canucks jersey this fall?

- Roberto Luongo, during the same interview you are drawing doom and gloom conclusions about.

It's obviously not an ideal situation, but Luongo didn't discount returning...

...you continually suggesting he'll take his puck and sit at home is ridiculous.
You have to take into account that Luongo saying on a Vancouver radio station that there is no way that he wants to come back isn't in his best interest. Cory Schneider has a starting goalie contract now so it is very plain what the situation is.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:

Crazy.
I assume you are a Nucks fan, what is your true feeling of Luongo's future. You may be hearing things we aren't. Does he stay, FLA,TOR,CHI or a dark horse team?

Old
07-13-2012, 02:51 PM
rune74

Quote:
You have to take into account that Luongo saying on a Vancouver radio station that there is no way that he wants to come back isn't in his best interest. Cory Schneider has a starting goalie contract now so it is very plain what the situation is.
So...you are going to ignore stuff that doesn't make your arguement real? Awesome.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
You have to take into account that Luongo saying on a Vancouver radio station that there is no way that he wants to come back isn't in his best interest.
Why not? I'd think the opposite - would certainly let GMs around the league know he's available and that his GM would then be more on the hot seat to get the deal done.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:53 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I assume you are a Nucks fan, what is your true feeling of Luongo's future. You may be hearing things we aren't. Does he stay, FLA,TOR,CHI or a dark horse team?
I think he gets traded...just no idea where, probably florida. I just don't think anyone who thinks he won't report if not traded have any clue to his character. MoaseOak(or whatever) keeps bring up conjectures and passing them off as facts, which looks silly.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:55 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
I disagree. I think they'd also know that if Luongo is so unprofessional as to refuse to honor his contract with Vancouver, he may well do the same thing to them if there's something he wants that they don't pony up for him in a timely manner. If I'm a GM, I don't want someone like that on my team, so he could be harming his chances of being traded by showing himself to be lacking the character to honor his contract.

What exactly has Luongo actually done in the past that makes you think he would refuse to do this? I'm not talking about what you're reading into his statements or conclusions you've jumped to based on that, I'm asking what actual actions has he taken to indicate to you that he would stoop to this?
Based on what Luongo has said he has an agreement with Canucks management that he will be traded and since he knows that some teams want him then if he is still a Canuck by training camp then they haven't lived up to their end of the deal. That is his justification for not showing up to camp.

Vigneault may not want a guy who is on his way out the door there anyway, what would he do with him?

Old
07-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
I think he gets traded...just no idea where, probably florida. I just don't think anyone who thinks he won't report if not traded have any clue to his character. MoaseOak(or whatever) keeps bring up conjectures and passing them off as facts, which looks silly.
While i think there will be some wierd feelings, i don't think he holds out. I can see him privately talking with Gillis as the season draws closer and letting him know he wants out.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:58 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Why not? I'd think the opposite - would certainly let GMs around the league know he's available and that his GM would then be more on the hot seat to get the deal done.
I was referring to fan backlash when he was on the radio promoting the WSOP on behalf of a sponsor, especially.

No GM in the league has to listen to the radio, they have Gillis' number.

Old
07-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:

So a GM doesn't want a guy who wants to be a starter? Canucks are clearly going with Schnieder as their starter and no goalie should like playing as a backup.

Old
Cogburn

Quote:
Yeah, good thing he's a professional and wants to avoid ruling out a team that has a shot to get him to a cup, otherwise he'd have thrown a tantrum and demanded to be traded there and then. Don't get me wrong here, you and I have our differences about Luongo's value, but thank you for not assuming he's a teenage girl at heart who will puff his chest up, hold his breath and stomp his feet if he isn't traded by camp. Refusing to show up for camp is the absolute basest behaviour an athlete can show, and Luongo is miles above that, whether or not he'd rather be else where.

Old
Crows*

Wake me up when September ends.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
So a GM doesn't want a guy who wants to be a starter? Canucks are clearly going with Schnieder as their starter and no goalie should like playing as a backup.
Don't get me wrong, there is a legitimate shot for Schneider to just walk with this thing, but Luongo wouldn't just sit back and take it. If he is still in Canucks colours come September, I anticipate him coming roaring back trying to take his former spot back, not just quietly stepping aside for Schneider.

At the same time, I don't expect Schneider to be bringing his "B" game to camp either. Nothing is set in stone yet as long as both are on the team.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Based on what Luongo has said he has an agreement with Canucks management that he will be traded and since he knows that some teams want him then if he is still a Canuck by training camp then they haven't lived up to their end of the deal. That is his justification for not showing up to camp.
I guess I'm an idealist. I think it has to be pretty darn extreme circumstances to justify breaching a contract. I doubt the Canucks guaranteed he'd be dealt by camp. I wouldn't be surprised if they assured him they'd do their best to get it done by then, but I'm sure Luongo is intelligent enough to recognize that might not be accomplished. I would think (again, only my opinion) that as long as he knows honest efforts are ongoing, he's going to be OK with that.

Quote:
Vigneault may not want a guy who is on his way out the door there anyway, what would he do with him?
If the team doesn't want him in camp, that's an entirely different story. They tell him to stay home and continue sending him his paycheck there until they get a deal done.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
I agree no goalie should like playing as a backup. I wouldn't want my potential starter to enjoy playing as a backup. As a matter of fact, I've said more than once that I think Luongo would be unhappy in that situation.

I do feel a GM might think twice about trading for a player who uses holding out and refusing to honor his contract as a method to blackmail his team into doing something he wants done. Maybe not. I'm not a GM so I can't speak for them, but I know if I *was* a GM it would give me pause.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Amen. I really wish everyone would just shut up already and only posts rumours or speculation. I always come to this thread looking for any news and I just see the same arguments over and over.

Might be one of the most annoying threads of all time.
Put up or shut up. Let's hear a new offer

Old
07-13-2012, 03:13 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
I would say that journalists such as Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun don't generally make up rumours. They may embellish some things, but generally the national media doesn't just pull things out of thin air. It's silly to believe that's what happened in this instance.

No, you said that Luongo didn't have much to do with Schneider's success. And you were soundly proven wrong, by no less than Cory Schneider himself. He's stated that Luongo was a very beneficial influence to him multiple times. They, by all accounts, have a great relationship. I disagree that 'any' veteran goalie can help young goalies. In this case we have a proven, demonstrable instance of a particular veteran mentoring a young goalie. That tells me that this goalie has mentorship abilities, and this is confirmed by Schneider.

There are lots of Florida fans who would like Luongo back.

Most importantly Dale Tallon is interested in bringing Roberto back, and at the end of the day that's the only opinion that matters.
Reports that I saw from TSN were that Florida have some interest, compared to other teams, which doesn't mean they actively sought him out. It could mean Gillis sent out feelers to many teams, and only a few replied back they would entertain talks. When those ppl say "are negotiating" or "in the running", all it means is they are talking. I bet Tallon isn't seriously considering anything short of a 'Cant-Refuse' from Gillis.

Luongo didn't have alot to do with Schneider's success. If you don't see that Schneider would have become an excellent goalie without Luongo in front of him, you are giving him Roberto too much credit. It was the fact that he was in the AHL longer, and watching NHL games. Having a veteran goalie helps a LITTLE, but it could have been any veteran goalie. Why would he say it's not beneficial at all? Even it didn't help him, he's not gonna come out and say Luongo didn't do **** for him... I don't understand why you are so ignorant to Schneider's skill. He showed it in the A well before he was around Luongo....

The whole point of our argument is you are suggesting you need a goalie like Luongo around for an elite goalie prospect to live up to their potential. Florida don't need Luongo, they don't even need a player of his calibre around Markstrom for him to succeed, a guy like Theodore will do fine. It's even possible he makes starter to start the season, the year he is ready, while previously just being used sparingly on a call-up basis. (Holtby will do this, this year)

If you think Luongo to Florida for mentorship reasons is a good deal, and that it's worth it to take Luongo on that contract with his age, because it's going to help Markstrom soooo much more, than that's just difference of opinion. You can have your own, but based on Tallon's future plan, and looking at this in a realistic view from Florida's POV too, it's not a move I don't think will happen.

Closed Thread