HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

On the Red Wings losing Holmstrom

Old
07-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Sentinel

vCash: 500
Thanks for the memories, Tomas. You were a terrific net presence with excellent hands and smarts to boot. You will always be remembered.

Hell, I'd even consider retiring his number. Can't imagine anybody else wear 96... and bring us 4 Cups on top of that.

The question is: is he a HHOF candidate? 4 Cups, Olympic Gold, 1000 games played, and one of the most recognized players of the past 15 years.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:47 AM
ThankYouBasedGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Thanks for the memories, Tomas. You were a terrific net presence with excellent hands and smarts to boot. You will always be remembered.

Hell, I'd even consider retiring his number. Can't imagine anybody else wear 96... and bring us 4 Cups on top of that.

The question is: is he a HHOF candidate? 4 Cups, Olympic Gold, 1000 games played, and one of the most recognized players of the past 15 years.
Sorry but Holmstrom isn't even close to a HHOF candidate.

ThankYouBasedGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:01 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
I'm with you on this one- if he still wants to play and another team will pay him and give him a spot on their roster, then God bless him and I'll root for him to do well and stay healthy. I just don't want him on the Wings as they have to keep moving forward. He doesn't owe me anything by retiring as a Wing, and he only gets one chance at an NHL career, so if he's willing to play elsewhere, no stones thrown here.
this

he'll be back with the organization after he retires even if he does go somewhere else anyways

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingzOverAcez View Post
As much as I agree that I wouldn't want to see him in asnother uniform there is no room for him in DET right now. Not enough roster spots for him.
i quite agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Just curious, where did you read that?
and yeah, as other people said, it was an article from a swedish newspaper. however, holmstrom is being reported as now having said he will play for nobody other than the wings.

http://www.prosportsblogging.com/201...medium=twitter

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:51 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Wow. None of the guys who won all four Cups will be on the team next year. Sad, but in Homer's case, it is time.

Do you realize Pav is also the only player left from the '02 team?

What a great ride these past 18 years (since I got into hockey/the Wings) have been. The times they are a changing, but I think well see more Cups eventually.

RockemSockemProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:40 AM
essbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeAtMeBro View Post
Sorry but Holmstrom isn't even close to a HHOF candidate.

Why not? He was the absolute best at what he was doing. He said himself that his body felt like he played more than 1000 games, that's tough. He's courageous and a very unique style of player. Sad to see him go but I feel it was time and he eventually deserve a HHOF spot imo. Many goals were scored where he didn't have a point but he was right in front of the goaltender and played the big part in getting that goal. Most of our best PP years were because of Holmstrom's play.

essbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
I love Holmer, but why do some peeps think every retiring Red Wing should be in HHOF???!?!!

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:29 AM
essbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale View Post
I love Holmer, but why do some peeps think every retiring Red Wing should be in HHOF???!?!!
I don't think Osgood should be in HHOF but I think I explained well enough why Holmstrom should be in.

essbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Houston Red Winger

Holstrom gave it his all, and sacrificed his body to score many key goals for Detroit and helped us to win 4 Stanley Cups. But his body finally failed him last year, when his only real contribution to the team was on the power play. God Bless him, his guts, his efforts, his self depricating sense of humor and his hand / eye coordination. I hope he retires now, it is time to give our younger players ice time to develop.

Houston Red Winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale View Post
Not even. I don't think McCarty, Maltby, or even Kozlov and Ozzy deserve to be in the HHOF, but Holmstrom has quite a resume. He wasn't any worse than Dino.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

The Detroit News asked Homer about the Swedish article in today's issue, and here's what he said.

"Not true at all. It's playing in Detroit, or nowhere else."

Also, it sounds like Homer is staying in the Detroit area, and not moving back to Sweden.

I wonder if the Wings will let Brunner wear #96, since that is his number.

Z40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:10 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Not even. I don't think McCarty, Maltby, or even Kozlov and Ozzy deserve to be in the HHOF, but Holmstrom has quite a resume. He wasn't any worse than Dino.
He was about 300 goals worse, wasn't he?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:13 PM
KingzOverAcez

Quote:
Originally Posted by essbee View Post
Why not? He was the absolute best at what he was doing. He said himself that his body felt like he played more than 1000 games, that's tough. He's courageous and a very unique style of player. Sad to see him go but I feel it was time and he eventually deserve a HHOF spot imo. Many goals were scored where he didn't have a point but he was right in front of the goaltender and played the big part in getting that goal. Most of our best PP years were because of Holmstrom's play.
It's the Hockey Hall of Fame for GREAT players, and as much I loved watching Homer over the years he's not HHOF worthy and it's not even close.

KingzOverAcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:30 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
I think he'll be missed more than Lidstrom.
hahahaha funny guy

Homer might as well have retired two years ago.

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:34 PM
ZDH

Oh god, just made it to page 2. The hall? Lol Homer to the HHOF? Retire his jersey? HAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jesus tap dancing christ. Im out of here.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
Oh god, just made it to page 2. The hall? Lol Homer to the HHOF? Retire his jersey? HAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jesus tap dancing christ. Im out of here.
I agree, I don't think Homer is HHOF material, but way to be a dick toward a guy who was a big part of our success over the last 15 years, all while taking more of a physical beating than probably any other player during that time.

While you're out, stay out.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:44 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z40 View Post
I agree, I don't think Homer is HHOF material, but way to be a dick toward a guy who was a big part of our success over the last 15 years, all while taking more of a physical beating than probably any other player during that time.

While you're out, stay out.
I'll disrespect anyone who makes millions playing a game. In the grand scheme of things they have it easier than 99.9999999% of the world population. Cry me a river.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
I'll disrespect anyone who makes millions playing a game. In the grand scheme of things they have it easier than 99.9999999% of the world population. Cry me a river.
That's good policy, dude. Disrespect people you don't know just because they make millions. Because it's not at all like he worked his tail off to get to that position in life. It sounds like you have a serious inferiority complex.

Old
07-13-2012, 01:53 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
He was about 300 goals worse, wasn't he?
The Hockey Hall of Offense DEMANDS POINTS!

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:49 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z40 View Post
That's good policy, dude. Disrespect people you don't know just because they make millions. Because it's not at all like he worked his tail off to get to that position in life. It sounds like you have a serious inferiority complex.
So what? Mexican labourers work their tails off for 1/10,000 of the dough Homer has made. And I dont personally know any of them. I will never feel sorry for a professional athlete unless its something serious. (kessel, cancer) They. get. millions. to. play. a. ****ing. game.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Not sure what the criteria is to make the HHOF, but I'd think there would be a ton of guys who should be in if Homer made it- I doubt that he was ever one of the 10 best players on any of his SC or Olympic teams. Not saying he was just a passenger, but other guys did the heavy lifting.

Actually, I could see him getting selected for induction to the HHOF, and then at the induction ceremony a ref takes the mic and tells the crowd that Homer's induction has been waved off- kinda fitting, right?

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:05 PM
jroc86

Brunner is 96 I believe.

Quote:

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
So what? Mexican labourers work their tails off for 1/10,000 of the dough Homer has made. And I dont personally know any of them. I will never feel sorry for a professional athlete unless its something serious. (kessel, cancer) They. get. millions. to. play. a. ****ing. game.
So, they both work their tails off, but because of the career Homer chose, he deserves backlash? Am I understanding you right? Thanks. for. spell. ing. it. out. for. me.

And I don't even know why you're changing the direction of the thread. We're just coming here as fans to congratulate Homer on a great career and to wish him well. You're turning it into, you, spewing all of your apparent hate and jealousy for athletes who make millions.

Old
07-14-2012, 12:04 AM
ZDH

Im not bashing Homer. I am bashing the suggestion that he belongs in the HHOF. I think most fans with functioning eyeballs will agree that Holmstroms game has deteriorated big time over the last few years so if "might as well have retired" = bashing/spewing hate (lol holy jump batman) to you than so be it.

Where are you seeing jealousy in my comments? If I was to go on a rant bashing Hitler would that be jealousy in your eyes?

Last edited by ZDH: 07-14-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old
07-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Z40
High Compete Level

I see you've calmed down a little now so I'll just leave it at that.