HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Duchene: "There's no way I could have held out"

Old
02-18-2013, 04:55 PM
avsfan89

vCash: 500
Matt Duchene: "There's no way I could have held out"

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22612010

here are some gems:

"Paychecks are great. You want to get as much money as you can in this game, but for me, I love this game so much, I love this team and this franchise and this city, there's no way I could have held out."

"I'm here right now. I have a great contract. I love my contract. There's nothing wrong with it. Would I have loved a long-term one at some point? Of course. Everybody wants a long-term contract, but you have to earn it"

For the Avalanche, it's a business too. They can't go out and say, 'We'll give him the benefit of the doubt.' They wanted me to prove it. They're my employer. I have to do it. That's the way I looked at it. That's the way my agent looked at it, and I was just thrilled to re-sign and get a deal"

My love for Duchene grows daily. Future hockey players best learn from him about attitudes towards playing hockey as a career.

Last edited by avsfan89: 02-18-2013 at 05:13 PM.
avsfan89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Bogey
Rookie User

Definitely has made a 180 with how he is perceived. He was outstanding this afternoon.

Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:59 PM
hawk30

Duchene vs. O'Reilly will be a great matchup in future years and a fertile "What could have been?" topic.

hawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Don't put that statement in quotes. He never said that.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:00 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
look at the first thing i posted in there, he definitely does.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Not an exact quote but close enough.

Quote:
"Would I have done it that way? Obviously not."
Quote:
"I love this team and this franchise and this city, there's no way I could have held out."
He's basically saying he never would have held out.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:05 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk30 View Post
Duchene vs. O'Reilly will be a great matchup in future years and a fertile "What could have been?" topic.
Yup. Those guys down the middle for the next 10 years would have been epic to watch. Too bad. It is a shame really.
Screw you Coach Bri, Mark Guy,Don Meehan, Greg Sherman, Pierre Lacroix and ofc Ryan O'Reilly. Screw you !!!!

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:06 PM
SmurfInABlender

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post
look at the first thing i posted in there, he definitely does.
Those are two different statements and the one in the subject title sends a different message than the one in the first quote. If it is in quotes it is a direct quote, otherwise it is paraphrased and shouldn't be in quotes.

Journalism 101.

SmurfInABlender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:08 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender View Post
Those are two different statements and the one in the subject title sends a different message than the one in the first quote. If it is in quotes it is a direct quote, otherwise it is paraphrased and shouldn't be in quotes.

Journalism 101.
Fair enough, but I don't know how to edit the title now

Old
02-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Not to mention, you're not a journalist.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Fair enough, but I don't know how to edit the title now
Click edit, then click on go advanced, and then you can edit it.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:03 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Click edit, then click on go advanced, and then you can edit it.
fixed, thanks.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
fixed, thanks.
And thank you for fixing it.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Elever
Hth

I love how Matt Duchene says stuff like this. I think he needs to say it more. Though I think he should've said it differently. He should've been direct and added that he and the rest of the team want O'Reilly back and they hope ROR signs a show me contract if he has to and get back to playing. No one on the team has stated that yet, hockey players can be a cliquey bunch though if they feel that a guy is holding out...they'd take it more personally than me or you.

Or maybe he has some inside info that ROR doesn't wanna come back and that's why he's okay with saying this.

Now if only he'd rip into the team's defence.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:45 PM
IceRat
#BallsOnTheTable

good on Doosh
always appreciated him and now even more so

IceRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:55 PM
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Not to mention, you're not a journalist.
What's your definition of journalist?

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22612010

here are some gems:

"Paychecks are great. You want to get as much money as you can in this game, but for me, I love this game so much, I love this team and this franchise and this city, there's no way I could have held out."

"I'm here right now. I have a great contract. I love my contract. There's nothing wrong with it. Would I have loved a long-term one at some point? Of course. Everybody wants a long-term contract, but you have to earn it"

For the Avalanche, it's a business too. They can't go out and say, 'We'll give him the benefit of the doubt.' They wanted me to prove it. They're my employer. I have to do it. That's the way I looked at it. That's the way my agent looked at it, and I was just thrilled to re-sign and get a deal"

My love for Duchene grows daily. Future hockey players best learn from him about attitudes towards playing hockey as a career.
Oiler-fan. hear, hear. bloggers here are speculating that the Oilers are in the Reilly sweepstakes, involving Gagner. I'm not sure I would do that. Is Reilly better than Gagner? he's different, but i'm not sure if he's better. Reilly is hurting his team and that doesn't seem to register. it is this attitude that causes the regular lockouts.

I know I like Gagner's attitude a heluvalot more.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
What's your definition of journalist?
Someone who journals.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
Oiler-fan. hear, hear. bloggers here are speculating that the Oilers are in the Reilly sweepstakes, involving Gagner. I'm not sure I would do that. Is Reilly better than Gagner? he's different, but i'm not sure if he's better. Reilly is hurting his team and that doesn't seem to register. it is this attitude that causes the regular lockouts.

I know I like Gagner's attitude a heluvalot more.
O'Reilly is a lot better than Gagner. IMO, it's not close at all. Gagner is just on one of his hot streaks right now. He'll have those from time to time and then he'll go on a long stretch where he's invisible out there. This isn't directed at you but I love how so many people in Edmonton will demand that Gagner be traded and then when he gets on one of his hot streaks, they start talking about how he's finally living up to his potential. I live in Edmonton so I hear it on the radio and from Oilers fans all the time.

If the Avs are trading O'Reilly in the division, they better be getting a lot more than just Gagner in return. BTW, do you have a link to where this speculation started? All of the credible reporters are saying O'Reilly will be dealt to the East and I haven't heard a single person bring up the Oilers.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:26 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
O'Reilly is a lot better than Gagner. IMO, it's not close at all. Gagner is just on one of his hot streaks right now. He'll have those from time to time and then he'll go on a long stretch where he's invisible out there. This isn't directed at you but I love how so many people in Edmonton will demand that Gagner be traded and then when he gets on one of his hot streaks, they start talking about how he's finally living up to his potential. I live in Edmonton so I hear it on the radio and from Oilers fans all the time.

If the Avs are trading O'Reilly in the division, they better be getting a lot more than just Gagner in return. BTW, do you have a link to where this speculation started? All of the credible reporters are saying O'Reilly will be dealt to the East and I haven't heard a single person bring up the Oilers.
I live in Edmonton too and know exactly what you're saying. Been watching Gagner since he was 18 years old, he's a streaky player, I would not want him in a trade for O'Reilly. I love the guy's attitude towards playing the game, he's a hard worker but no comparison to O'Reilly.

Also, for your last statement...Look no further than that idiot Richard Cloutier from hockeybuzz

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
I live in Edmonton too and know exactly what you're saying. Been watching Gagner since he was 18 years old, he's a streaky player, I would not want him in a trade for O'Reilly. I love the guy's attitude towards playing the game, he's a hard worker but no comparison to O'Reilly.

Also, for your last statement...Look no further than that idiot Richard Cloutier from hockeybuzz
That explains everything. I thought it might have been one of the local radio guys or reporters who mentioned something. Cloutier is the same guy who said the Oilers are going to win the cup this season.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:09 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
That explains everything. I thought it might have been one of the local radio guys or reporters who mentioned something. Cloutier is the same guy who said the Oilers are going to win the cup this season.
Hahahahaha I saw that blog I couldn't help but shake my head. The Oilers beat the Avs 6-4 and all of a sudden they're winning the cup this season

Old
02-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Foppa Frossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Hahahahaha I saw that blog I couldn't help but shake my head. The Oilers beat the Avs 6-4 and all of a sudden they're winning the cup this season
That's incorrect because we just beat Nashville so we're winning the cup.

Last edited by Foppa Frossa: 02-18-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:29 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
That's incorrect because we just beat Nashville so we're winning the cup.
Not so fast, Ottawa just beat New Jersey so I guess they'll be steam-rolling their way to the Cup without Spezza, Karlsson, and Cowen, and just trade all 3 of those in the off-season for 5th round picks because they're obviously useless. Why do I have a feeling Cloutier will attempt to convince people that Ottawa is trading Spezza, Karlsson, and Cowen to Edmonton for Gagner, Marincin, Pitlick, and a 2014 1st....

Old
02-19-2013, 01:55 AM
Peter The Great

Lots of respect for Duchene now.

Loyalty and "love" for the city and the team is unfortunately more and more rare these days, everywhere.

21 is offline   Reply With Quote