HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would it take to land Bernier ?

Old
07-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Sam Slick*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
I recently read Bernier expects to be traded by the LA Kings and i cant say im surprised. They locked up Quick and Bernier is expendable. We do have goalie issues and i believe Bernier can potentially fix that. He's only 23 years old which is fairly young and leaves quite a bit of room for improvement

His save percentage last season was .909 in 16 games and .913 in 25 games in the previous season

He would be a good fit here because of his age, potential and the opportunity he would get to solidify himself as the no.1 goalie

I really hope we can pick him up this year, but what would it cost us to land him ? what would be fair value ?
Bernier is no better than Reimer.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:38 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 1045
A 15' pole, since I'm pretty sure Burke won't touch him with a 10' one.

Kid hasn't proven himself a #1G and Hockey's Future (this website) ranks Bernier as 8.0B.
Reimer is coming back healthy, has more experience, has looked good as a starter, can handle the minutes, and on Hockey's Future is an 8.0C.

Why would you expend assets to get a guy that replaces a guy you've already got?

It makes no sense. It's just fans who think the 1G is such a desperate need to fill that they'll look at any option not currently on our roster.

FFS this is why there's a Hasek thread... fans are desperate!

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:38 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquee View Post
So wins is all it takes for you to evaluate a goaltender?

No I just didn't think I had to go into explicit detail to make my point.

Bernier does not have a winning record, has less NHL experience than Reimer, has a worse save percentage, does have a better goals against average and accomplished that on last year's Cup winning team. Getting him would cost us assets.

Reimer has a winning record, has more NHL experience, has a better save percentage, but does have a worse goals against average and accomplished that on a poor defensive team. He does not cost us any assets.

Now explain to me why we should go after Bernier?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:11 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlue View Post
Explain why Bernier = bad. He's a young goalie (23 yrs old) with plenty of upside.
If he were that good, he would have been played much more often. As it is, the Kings did not trust him enough to get them into the playoffs so they had to ride with Quick. If the Kings do not trust him, why should we?

Plus, most websites have him listed as a generous 6', and some sites listed as 5'11''... With the NHL's talent level, there are very few goalies with that height that become elite goaltenders. Best I can think of is Halak.

Plus, I have seen him play multiple times, and each time, I come away unimpressed.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:24 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingSlayer View Post
If he were that good, he would have been played much more often. As it is, the Kings did not trust him enough to get them into the playoffs so they had to ride with Quick. If the Kings do not trust him, why should we?
No coach/team is going to play Bernier over Quick ...
Not because they don't trust Bernier, it is because they can play ****ing Quick.. ....

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
No coach/team is going to play Bernier over Quick ...
Not because they don't trust Bernier, it is because they can play ****ing Quick.. ....

this

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Reider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13TML13 View Post
I would love Halak here.. What do we have to trade for a package that would include Halak, Steen and a 2nd?
lol, shades of Ryder, Halak, 2nd.

Reider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:36 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Burke said himself he doesn't plan to trade for a Goalie that has no experience as a #1 and right now Bernier is in that category. So as far as I am concerned he is not an option and personally I rather go with Reimer.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
I recently read Bernier expects to be traded by the LA Kings and i cant say im surprised. They locked up Quick and Bernier is expendable. We do have goalie issues and i believe Bernier can potentially fix that. He's only 23 years old which is fairly young and leaves quite a bit of room for improvement

His save percentage last season was .909 in 16 games and .913 in 25 games in the previous season

He would be a good fit here because of his age, potential and the opportunity he would get to solidify himself as the no.1 goalie

I really hope we can pick him up this year, but what would it cost us to land him ? what would be fair value ?
I like Bernier, but he is a prospect like Reimer and I can't see the Leafs being interested in a prospect, rather than someone who is already proven.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Jerkini

Would rather roll with Scrivens or Reimer and it's not even close.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:15 PM
13TML13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reider View Post
lol, shades of Ryder, Halak, 2nd.

13TML13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:02 AM
number72

LA is not going trade Bernier. If they are smart they will do what Boston did with Rask/Thomas and vancouver with Schneider/Luongo.

They will let Bernier play more games to both rest quick for the playoffs and to increase his trade value to extract better value from a trade.

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Eternal Leaf

A new GM.

Eternal Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:37 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
No reason whatsoever to aquire him, especially with what the Leafs already have.
What exactly do the Leafs have?

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:41 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruski View Post
Its a tough sell to pick-up Bernier. If the leafs did a deal like this, it would probably have to include a goalie going the other way.

Scrivens has too much upside at this point (after record setting season in AHL), so trading him doesn't really improve the Leafs much.

Perhaps Owuya + Prospect/Pick, but again this basically says to Scrivens that he is 3rd in line, which is probably the wrong message to send to a guy that clearly deserves a shot to start some games this year.

I wouldn't be opposed to making this a bigger deal though. For example:
Reimer + MacArthur FOR Bernier + Voynov/Loktionov

Leafs shed an extra winger, while acquiring a good prospect (Defence or Center). Although i don't know if LA would even want Reimer at this point.
Theres a difference between a goalie like Scrivens and a goalie like Bernier...one is a career AHL calibre goalie with limited upside what you see is what you're going to get...and the other has NHL level talent and skill, the potential and upside is vastly different....

Old
07-14-2012, 09:43 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
A 15' pole, since I'm pretty sure Burke won't touch him with a 10' one.

Kid hasn't proven himself a #1G and Hockey's Future (this website) ranks Bernier as 8.0B.
Reimer is coming back healthy, has more experience, has looked good as a starter, can handle the minutes, and on Hockey's Future is an 8.0C.

Why would you expend assets to get a guy that replaces a guy you've already got?

It makes no sense. It's just fans who think the 1G is such a desperate need to fill that they'll look at any option not currently on our roster.

FFS this is why there's a Hasek thread... fans are desperate!
Hockey Futures A B C rankings mean as much as my post right now..nothing.

Old
07-14-2012, 09:44 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingSlayer View Post

Plus, most websites have him listed as a generous 6', and some sites listed as 5'11''... With the NHL's talent level, there are very few goalies with that height that become elite goaltenders. Best I can think of is Halak.

Plus, I have seen him play multiple times, and each time, I come away unimpressed.
Seriously?

Old
07-14-2012, 10:32 AM
WesM

I have wanted Bernier for a couple of yrs now. I wanted Burke to land him at the trade deadline for Gustavvssopn plus maybe a player and a pick, and at that time take on Penners contract, which now LA wants.

WesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:41 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

a lot people on this board might argue that scrivens might be as good as bernier now that he's had a lot of time in the AHL (going deep in the playoffs). so why would we trade for a goalie that might be as good as our second best goalie?

Last edited by ForSpareParts*: 07-14-2012 at 12:29 PM.
ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Beaninfritz

Bernier's more like a Scrivens+. There's no real need for us to trade for him. I'd sooner sign Hasek (and yes, he wants back in the NHL at age 47) than trade for Bernier.

Beaninfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:37 PM
RogerRoeper*

Why would Burke want Bernier? Don't we have enough "promising" young goalies? We need an experienced, proven veteran.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:38 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
What exactly do the Leafs have?
Reimer, Scrivens, Rynnas, Owuya.

Old
07-14-2012, 12:57 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
LA is not going trade Bernier. If they are smart they will do what Boston did with Rask/Thomas and vancouver with Schneider/Luongo.

They will let Bernier play more games to both rest quick for the playoffs and to increase his trade value to extract better value from a trade.
The problem is, Rask and Schneider never asked for a trade. Bernier has. L.A will be trading him soon.

Old
07-14-2012, 01:37 PM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
The problem is, Rask and Schneider never asked for a trade. Bernier has. L.A will be trading him soon.
Show me a source that Bernier has asked for a trade....

Old
07-14-2012, 01:38 PM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Reimer, Scrivens, Rynnas, Owuya.
Noone you listed is good enough to say we don't need Bernier. None of those guys with the partial exception of Reimer will amount to much at the NHL level. I bet you havn't even seen Rynnas, Owuya, or even Bernier play.