HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Ownership Cluster**** Thread: This is the last one, Really!

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2012, 09:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
I have a hard time not siding with the owners again during this cba mess. I just can't side with the players. Yes, it's the stupid owners that keep paying the players too much, but seems dumb for players to begrudge the owners that.

Hockey is a niche sport with ZERO crossover stars and only two players even approaching household name status. It is completely absurd that there are any NHL players making more than five or so million bucks a year. It isn't a popular sport. They should raise the minimum salary a hair and come up with a hard cap on individual salaries. Much lower overall cap, too. Raise both at a fixed annual amount each year of the CBA, rather than a huge percentage that balloons up beyond control.

Old
09-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
100% agree, somehow they need that crossover moment that makes it mainstream again. This situation is not helping nationally and our situation is not helping locally. The window is there to push the Coyotes up in the people's minds here.

Old
09-04-2012, 12:12 AM
mondo3

vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
and only two players even approaching household name status.
Crosby and Ovechkin?

Old
09-04-2012, 12:18 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
Crosby and Ovechkin?
Or as they are known in the United States, "Crosby and that other guy...what's his name...that other Russian guy or whatever...uhhh....don't tell me...Overkov?"

Old
09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

One more season like the last one and Ovechkin will be completely irrelevant as far as crossover marketing.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

@LisaHalverstadt:
Quote:
Acting #Glendale City Manager Horatio Skeete tells me he spent the weekend talking with #Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison.

Last edited by Naurutger: 09-04-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: I had thoughts of two teens talking on a phone but couldnt find a funny enough picture.
Old
09-04-2012, 03:51 PM
KingSalamon

That would have been an interesting conversation to tap into wouldn't it?

That is such a neutral statement that can be read in many ways... both positive and negative. No news other than they talked... not much else.... for all we know they may have been discussing politics or favorite colours.

Do people see the lockout as a deal breaker for Jamison at this point?

Ok crazy thought... if the team is sold during the lockout, does the money received count as HRR? Do teams get a cut of the sale price in this case? It isn't common for the league to own one of it's 30 teams.

Old
09-04-2012, 03:59 PM
yotesreign

FWIW, I think this (thread) really should be "the last one really" thread called ownership cluster****.

I have to think it seems more of a "cluster----" to those who were cocksure the team was moving somewhere else long before now - considering under the current ownership and management, we've made the playoffs consistently and even progressed round wise most recently. There are probably a few other teams that would take that kind of cluster---- ownership. Now, if GJ does buy the team, and drives it into the basement with bad decisions and poor management, such a title might be apt and appropriate. Or if the current owner continues to own and the team is driven into the basement.

But other than the butt-hurt ones perplexed the team is still here, perhaps this thread title is more deserved by some other team that has lately been a doormat on ice.

just a suggestion. I know some people who just like the word cluster---- and would always prefer to keep it around in use.

Old
09-04-2012, 04:32 PM
MP

I know what we need.

We need a mother****ing luck dragon.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Source: Suitor secures financing

Quote:
Among the investors, who have to this point remained unidentified, are some members of the Ice Edge Group, a collection of Canadian and American businessmen who at one point were front-runners to buy the team themselves, the source told ESPN.com.

Ice Edge head Anthony LeBlanc has been in discussions with Jamison throughout the summer in putting a deal together to buy the team although it's not known exactly what role the group will play in the new ownership structure.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/83...ures-financing

I really have a feeling that Hulsizer's name will also be involved when its all said and done.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:08 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Source: Suitor secures financing

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/83...ures-financing

I really have a feeling that Hulsizer's name will also be involved when its all said and done.

Hulsizer was brought up a month or so ago as the major investor. But it was only rumored.

Psst..... don't let the guys in BoH know about this article..... they'll have a field day. Anything related to IEH makes them get all gushy.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Yeah I know others will make fun of Ice Edge but hey, I will settle for some of these Dubai investors if it means an end to this saga; unless they plan on a relocation back to their country

Also an interesting quote from the article:

Quote:
There could be some minor tinkering with the lease agreement before the sale is complete but nothing major, the source said.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:37 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Hulsizer was brought up a month or so ago as the major investor. But it was only rumored.

Psst..... don't let the guys in BoH know about this article..... they'll have a field day. Anything related to IEH makes them get all gushy.
Doesn't really matter who owns the team I guess, as long as it stays, but even the most ardent Coyotes fan has to admit getting IEH on board as owners is scraping the bottom of the ownership barrel just a bit.

But, as long as thier money has Benjamin Franklin on it, and not Kim Il-sung, all should be good.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:50 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Doesn't really matter who owns the team I guess, as long as it stays, but even the most ardent Coyotes fan has to admit getting IEH on board as owners is scraping the bottom of the ownership barrel just a bit.

But, as long as thier money has Benjamin Franklin on it, and not Kim Il-sung, all should be good.
So long as they aren't allowed to say anything ever I'm okay with it.

Old
09-05-2012, 09:22 AM
KingSalamon

The good news was spreading on the Canadian media last night... looks like things are moving along but we don't want to get burned just yet. Cautious optimism? I think it's better used in this case, moreso than in the CBA talks.

Hey guys... if this is finalized and everything is rosey, you can join the rest of the league in the CBA complaint department. (When millions of fans complain about the 'labour negotiations', did they really complain? - my take on the 'tree falling in the woods').

Old
09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Ice Edge could be part of Jamison’s Phoenix Coyotes bid

Quote:
Jamison also could be talking to Las Vegas businessman and former Coyotes minority owner John Breslow about being part of the new hockey regime in Phoenix.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/m...-jamisons.html

Also in case you are bored and want to relive three years ago here is something on Breslow:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279359

Last edited by Naurutger: 09-05-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old
09-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Glendale, Coyotes sales tax fight could go beyond November election

Quote:
Interim city manager Horatio Skeete has presented Jamison some new arena payment options.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...tax-fight.html

Nothing new but it will be interesting to see what was presented when its leaked by the Sleepy Councilman.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:46 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Yeah I know others will make fun of Ice Edge but hey, I will settle for some of these Dubai investors if it means an end to this saga; unless they plan on a relocation back to their country
not a lot of seats, but a beautiful mall...

http://www.1000lonelyplaces.com/wp-c...i-Ice-Rink.jpg

Old
09-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post

Oh that is awesome!

Old
09-05-2012, 04:35 PM
pfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyOldMan View Post

The coyotes might just sell out the entire season in that arena.

Old
09-05-2012, 07:13 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Lisa Halverstadt @LisaHalverstadt

Quote:
#Glendale sales-tax initiative to appear on the November ballot. #AZ Supreme Court denies city’s request for review.

Now what?

Old
09-05-2012, 07:24 PM
AZcoyotes33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
Lisa Halverstadt @LisaHalverstadt

Now what?
The deal moves on....this wasnt a necessity for the deal. The city of Glendale will have to find funding through other sources.

Old
09-05-2012, 08:16 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Glendale, Coyotes sales tax fight could go beyond November election

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...tax-fight.html

Nothing new but it will be interesting to see what was presented when its leaked by the Sleepy Councilman.
I'll bet the relocationists love this part. This freaking thing will never end...

Quote:
Interim city manager Horatio Skeete has presented Jamison some new arena payment options.

But Jamison is not keen on changes, and those would likely require a new council vote on the Coyotes matter.

The November elections will also bring Glendale a new mayor and some new council members. They could also undo the sales tax hike as well as the Coyotes deal if it isnít consummated by January when they take office.

Old
09-06-2012, 01:12 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
I bet they play Dubia rules hockey that involves Men on Camels moving the puck across the ice with AK-47's instead of sticks. The losing team is executed.
Wow! What a stereotype that was, eh.

Old
09-06-2012, 01:33 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
I'll bet the relocationists love this part. This freaking thing will never end...
It will never end and nothing will ever happen.

Closed Thread