HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Weiss and Versteeg hit 2013 FA, Do they sign with Fla?

Old
07-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
If Weiss and Versteeg hit 2013 FA, Do they sign with Fla?

I think it is likely that Versteeg hits the 2013 UFA market and I think it is possible that Weiss will as well. I think both WANT to stay with the Panthers but money talks and as Tallon has said, this is a business. I think Versteeg will generate offers of $5mil per over long term and Weiss $6mil per. Both aren't worth it but that's what a free market will pay them. So, at that price does Florida retain them? I say no. Which is why I think it is vital both are signed before the 2012 regular season starts.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:28 PM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
I think it is likely that Versteeg hits the 2013 UFA market and I think it is possible that Weiss will as well. I think both WANT to stay with the Panthers but money talks and as Tallon has said, this is a business. I think Versteeg will generate offers of $5mil per over long term and Weiss $6mil per. Both aren't worth it but that's what a free market will pay them. So, at that price does Florida retain them? I say no. Which is why I think it is vital both are signed before the 2012 regular season starts.
Trade them for Bobby Ryan and Ryan Getzlaf.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:51 PM
ShootIt

No way is Weiss worth 6 million.

We are weak at center, but, I don't think we'll opverpay to keep Weiss.

IMO Versteeg will sign a long term deal before hitting the 2013 FA pool

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:56 PM
harv3317

it seems the practice now is to try and sign player you want to retain the year before ufa. i think this is smart and hope dale does this. that way if he knows he can't resign them he can get good trade value, ie stall.

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Knightmare

if weiss stuck with us through the real bad times, i cant imagine him wanting to go anywhere else while we're about to start thriving. He's stated in multiple interviews that he likes the idea of a player staying with his team throughout a career. I feel like he would take a "hometown discount" to stay here, as this is his home now. He wants to be here. With versteeg, He has stated in public that he wants to be here for a long time. That, plus his great relationship with Dale, has me seeing us lock him up to a lengthy contract sometime
soon

Knightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:11 PM
p9ers

I think both would be sign long term. If I had to choose between them, I think there are more chances to keep Wiess than Versteeg. But I think both will stay here, it's not even wishful thinking.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Tuco

I think what GP is saying is that it's not a given that they stay, even Weiss. He wants to stay, but what if a real contender comes knocking? Weiss is in a very strong position when negotiating with Tallon, especially so since we're so weak down the middle presently.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:42 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

GP, you are truly a ray of sunshine.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
GP, you are truly a ray of sunshine.
True, but it's still a legitimate worry. And an interestig issue to discuss. People think that Weiss will just stay. It's not necessarily so.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
if weiss stuck with us through the real bad times, i cant imagine him wanting to go anywhere else while we're about to start thriving. He's stated in multiple interviews that he likes the idea of a player staying with his team throughout a career. I feel like he would take a "hometown discount" to stay here, as this is his home now. He wants to be here. With versteeg, He has stated in public that he wants to be here for a long time. That, plus his great relationship with Dale, has me seeing us lock him up to a lengthy contract sometime
soon
No offense, but when we sign other guys at "non-hometown discount" prices, what makes you so sure and think it's right not to pay Weiss what he could fetch on the open market. After all he is one of the only players who has stuck through it thick and thin. I say give him a little more than he's worth but not open market money and we'll see how loyal he really is. I hope we can keep him.

Now for Versteeg, I almost see him getting offered a similar deal as Weiss. Not because he isn't worth more, but because you can't offer him more than Weiss and expect them both to sign.

That's just my take though and hope we can lock them both up, but I wouldn't expect a hometown discount by any means, this isn't the 90's and players aren't loyal, so when they are... you pay em.

Jeff Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:31 PM
RainingRats

We have the money to sign them both. I think the issues will be lengths. I think Weiss is more valuable than Versteeg so if I had to choose, it would be Weiss staying.

Anyway, this is extremely premature.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Lock Weiss up before the 2012 season, his deal isn't up til next season, can he be talked to before the season starts?

Plenty of time to deal with Weiss and there's plenty of other players to focus on right now. No need for this thread, just GP playin Chicken Little. Likely because he's no longer a Tallon fan, if he ever was one, because Tallon allowed a rumor of a high priced goalie being traded here to linger. Something GP loathes. Trying to kick up a hornets nest.

Dumb thread

07-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Lock Weiss up before the 2012 season, his deal isn't up til next season, can he be talked to before the season starts?

Plenty of time to deal with Weiss and there's plenty of other players to focus on right now. No need for this thread, just GP playin Chicken Little. Likely because he's no longer a Tallon fan, if he ever was one, because Tallon allowed a rumor of a high priced goalie being traded here to linger. Something GP loathes. Trying to kick up a hornets nest.

Dumb thread
I actually think Tallon is the best GM the Panthers have had, which is not saying much, but still. My only beef with him is his saying Florida is now a destination of choice while he loses players that he doesn't overpay. All the signings last season most would agree at the time, he overpaid. Money must still do the talking for this franchise and I think he has had his hands tied by the finances of Viner, who probably can't be faulted for not spending money he does not have, which is why he likely couldn't sign Garrison before last season and is having trouble signing Versteeg and Weiss this off-season.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:55 PM
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing

Weiss needs to sign long term prior to UFA, or he'll get crazy offers from teams like: Leafs,Jets and Flames for example.

I'm not sure where Versteeg's head is at...slightly lesser money but more important role with Panthers, or bigger money to play a lesser role on another team??? Hmmm...

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:43 PM
nhlfan9191

Let Weiss test free agency. Once he finds out what he's really worth, he'll end up signing with us. Not sure about Versteeg tho.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Ekblast
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
I will gladly help Weiss pack his bags!!!!

Ekblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:57 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
I actually think Tallon is the best GM the Panthers have had, which is not saying much, but still. My only beef with him is his saying Florida is now a destination of choice while he loses players that he doesn't overpay. All the signings last season most would agree at the time, he overpaid. Money must still do the talking for this franchise and I think he has had his hands tied by the finances of Viner, who probably can't be faulted for not spending money he does not have, which is why he likely couldn't sign Garrison before last season and is having trouble signing Versteeg and Weiss this off-season.
SSE is a LLC with several partners - including Maroone & Huizenga as well as Cohen. Viner is the GP. He is not the owner. You do not need to own a majority share to be the GP of an LLC. Often times one of the limited partners is the majority owner - he just "runs" it (at least officially). If anyone has a document showing that Viner is the majority shareholder in SSE (I suspect that he is not) I would be interested in seeing it.

I only bring this up to point out that I do not think that it is purely a "I can't afford it" issue.

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 07-13-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old
07-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Just think you're stirring stuff up. Pretty sure Weiss can't be talked to til the season starts, could be wrong though. So far as Versteeg, every team struggles to sign their players at times. Heck, espn said Brees and the Saints were only a million off on a monster deal. Don't think it's too much a true reflection of anything.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Knightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Shafer View Post
No offense, but when we sign other guys at "non-hometown discount" prices, what makes you so sure and think it's right not to pay Weiss what he could fetch on the open market. After all he is one of the only players who has stuck through it thick and thin. I say give him a little more than he's worth but not open market money and we'll see how loyal he really is. I hope we can keep him.

Now for Versteeg, I almost see him getting offered a similar deal as Weiss. Not because he isn't worth more, but because you can't offer him more than Weiss and expect them both to sign.

That's just my take though and hope we can lock them both up, but I wouldn't expect a hometown discount by any means, this isn't the 90's and players aren't loyal, so when they are... you pay em.
I didn't mean to sound like we shouldnt pay Weiss, because we certaintly should. (Maybe not 6 mil, but...) I just dont think he's the type of player to run off into free agency just to gain more money. In my opinion he would want to stay here and see the rebuild through.

Knightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Don't see this as an issue! Tallon has said Versteeg will be a Panther for a long time when asked about his negotiations with Versteeg. In Weiss's case I think I deal can be reached between him and Tallon if they sit and talk for 10min.

Tallon: So Stephen let's talk contract?
Weiss: ok Dale.
Tallon: would a 20% raise be ok?
Weiss: how about 25% Dale?
Tallon: Done! Now how many yrs?
Weiss: Can I do a 12-13yr deal like others have done around the league?
Tallon: sure, why not.
Weiss: thank you mr. Tallon.
Tallon: no, thank you Stephen.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
SSE is a LLC with several partners - including Maroone & Huizenga as well as Cohen. Viner is the GP. He is not the owner. You do not need to own a majority share to be the GP of an LLC. Often times one of the limited partners is the majority owner - he just "runs" it (at least officially). If anyone has a document showing that Viner is the majority shareholder in SSE (I suspect that he is not) I would be interested in seeing it.

I only bring this up to point out that I do not think that it is purely a "I can't afford it" issue.
Well, whoever holds the purse strings doesn't think they have enough money because the team went to the County Commission for a loan or break on the Arena lease.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Acadmus

Given the history, I think Weiss takes a discount to stay in Florida on a long-term contract, perhaps a retirement deal.

Versteeg's history. He's a mercenary and will go to the highest bidder. That's my impression of him at least.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Given the history, I think Weiss takes a discount to stay in Florida on a long-term contract, perhaps a retirement deal.

Versteeg's history. He's a mercenary and will go to the highest bidder. That's my impression of him at least.
I think Weiss would sign with Florida for a discount but not if another team blows the Panthers best offer out of the water which is very possible in free agency. Say Fla offers 5x4 and Toronto 6x6, $16 million is a lot of money to turn your back on.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:27 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Well, whoever holds the purse strings doesn't think they have enough money because the team went to the County Commission for a loan or break on the Arena lease.
Of course they did. When have you ever seen the owner(s) of a professional sports team that didn't prefer spending the taxpayers' money to their own?

Old
07-13-2012, 10:41 PM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post

I'm afraid you're right about Versteeg, but I don't want to believe it....

KW is offline   Reply With Quote