HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pens sign forward Benn Ferriero

Old
07-13-2012, 08:45 AM
zero8771

vCash: 500
Pens sign forward Benn Ferriero

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...wt-pghpenguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed forward Benn Ferriero to a one-year contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

Ferriero’s contract is a two-way deal worth $700,000 at the NHL level.

Ferriero, 25, has spent parts of the last three seasons playing for the San Jose Sharks, including 35 games in 2011-12, when he tallied seven goals and eight points. Ferriero also appeared in 20 games last year with Worcester, the Sharks’ American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate. Ferriero amassed 20 points (9G-11A) in 20 games with Worcester.

A native of Boston, Massachusetts, Ferriero played in 92 career NHL regular-season games with San Jose, totaling 14 goals, eight assists and 22 points. Ferriero, who stands 5-foot-11, 195 pounds, also played in eight NHL playoff games – with his lone point the overtime game-winning goal in Game 1 of the 2011 Western Conference semifinals against Detroit.

zero8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:47 AM
cassius

Shero is trying to build an AHL all star team.... no idea why.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:49 AM
zero8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Trying to find some overlooked prospects?

zero8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:54 AM
khaoskennedy

WBS could be really good this year lol
depth is never a bad thing, just sucks depth is all we got this offseason

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
I'd say it has two primary benefits:

1) You're more likely to find that late bloomer who can make the NHL one day, even if it's still unlikely in general.

2) Having some stud forwards at that level makes all the D we're developing down there, better and more prepared over time. If you're practicing against the best every day (at a given level)... you're more likely to become the best yourself.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:55 AM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardin087 View Post
Trying to find some overlooked prospects?
If you look at the top 10 scorers in the AHL each year.... very few of them actually make the jump to becoming NHL regulars. Sure, there is a call up here or there, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

They dominate the lower levels of hockey, but making the jump to the NHL is a struggle due to some flaws that are tough to improve on (size, lack of physicality, lack of hockey sense, etc). Simply put, their game is very good against lower levels of competition, but it just doesn't transition very well into the NHL.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:56 AM
deakka

Puzzles me. another contract spot filled. we must be close to the limit now? Guess we wont get another NHL signing this year. Tangradi or TK in the top 6? my god, a contender with 10 mil in capspace has to be able to do better than that?

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Giskard

Jamie Benn Ferrero?

Giskard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Burgs

Competition and support for the rookie Baby Pens, I'd say. And cheap winger depth at the NHL level. 7 goals in 35 games last season with the Sharks isn't bad. Ferriero was a pretty good scorer at (where else?) Boston College where he played with Sneep and Gibbons. He also won't count as AHL veteran yet. WBS will be stacked to make a serious run at the Calder Cup.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:59 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post

1) You're more likely to find that late bloomer who can make the NHL one day, even if it's still unlikely in general.

2) Having some stud forwards at that level makes all the D we're developing down there, better and more prepared over time. If you're practicing against the best every day (at a given level)... you're more likely to become the best yourself.
Quote:
If you look at the top 10 scorers in the AHL each year.... very few of them actually make the jump to becoming NHL regulars. Sure, there is a call up here or there, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

They dominate the lower levels of hockey, but making the jump to the NHL is a struggle due to some flaws that are tough to improve on (size, lack of physicality, lack of hockey sense, etc).
I was going to go with a combo answer of these two.

When developing the young guys we assume will be at WBS - Morrow, Bennett, etc - it's not a bad thing for them to be playing on a good team, possibly deep into the playoffs, when preparing them to graduate to the NHL in the following seasons.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Perhaps it is the attempt to build the "Champions at every level" mentality.

This seems to me the mark of wisdom from a GM who doesn't have many valid options in FA.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:03 AM
regard

Going deep in the playoffs is also good for prospects to experience I'm sure. Also Shero can stack the Baby Pens for thier fans enjoyment, so why not?

Ferriero and Dupuis are both good depth options, guys who can replace Park IMO without the team being worried about sending them back through waivers.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Puzzles me. another contract spot filled. we must be close to the limit now? Guess we wont get another NHL signing this year. Tangradi or TK in the top 6? my god, a contender with 10 mil in capspace has to be able to do better than that?
he's the 50th contract, but Harrington may not count towards that, if thats the case we have 1 spot left

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post

Great points. I'd also add that Shero is giving himself as much depth as possible. We've had injuries to the extreme the past two years, and really the only good call-up option last year was Williams. Who well... sucks

Now we have plenty of depth at forward through the system, if we were to get snake-bitten once more.

Killswitch7187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Shady Machine

Eh whatever. I like what I saw from him in the few Sharks games he played in. Could be a good call up guy and will help the WBS Pens team as well as our prospects. Another good depth signing, just not the type of signing we want.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Xavier Laflamme

WBS might be more fun to watch then the Pens this year. Aren't the baby Pens te only team in their division to not win the Calder Cup?

Xavier Laflamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskennedy View Post
he's the 50th contract, but Harrington may not count towards that, if thats the case we have 1 spot left
so we'll need to move someone if we want to bring in more than one more guy regardless of cap. Interesting.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:08 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

He's actually a decent NHL player. Not someone you want in the lineup each night if you can help it, but he's young, has some potential, and doesn't look out of place. I could see him being one of the first call-ups.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Kunitziwa

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
IIRC he had most of his points last year in a very small stretch, while he was playing in SJ's top 6. Could be wrong though.

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:09 AM
deakka

Maybe i should get the AHL package instead of the NHL centerice this year?

Joking aside. We really have to move someone, i think we should have move lovejoy and one of Strait/bortuzzo already.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:09 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Best call up option so far.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Maybe i should get the AHL package instead of the NHL centerice this year?

Joking aside. We really have to move someone, i think we should have move lovejoy and one of Strait/bortuzzo already.
if they are just moving for space, there's no reason to do it until we need to. If possible, I'm sure Shero wants as many bodies at camp as possible just to add competition.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:12 AM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
if they are just moving for space, there's no reason to do it until we need to. If possible, I'm sure Shero wants as many bodies at camp as possible just to add competition.
YEah, but wonth say, Straits value plummet if we dont move him before camp. Because the team thats interested may as well hope to get him on waivers instead.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Giskard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
so we'll need to move someone if we want to bring in more than one more guy regardless of cap. Interesting.
Some more D will be gone, we won't carry all the Lovejoy, Strait and Bortuzzo ...

Giskard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
YEah, but wonth say, Straits value plummet if we dont move him before camp. Because the team thats interested may as well hope to get him on waivers instead.
not to the teams farther down the waiver list. Honestly, I could see us carrying 8 D to start the year to give Strait/Bortuzzo a better look before trading either. And Lovejoy is more valuable as a camp body than he will be in a trade at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
Some more D will be gone, we won't carry all the Lovejoy, Strait and Bortuzzo ...
ya I thought of that after I made the post