HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens sign forward Benn Ferriero

Old
07-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Burgs

vCash: 500
Profile from Hockey Forecaster:

Size: 5'11, 195 lbs
Shoots: Right
Position: RW/LW
Drafted: 196th overall 2006 by Phoenix

ASSETS: Works very hard on the ice, and is blessed with great skating ability. Can put up points at lower levels and add energy to his team. Is plenty versatile.
FLAWS: Is a little undersized for the role of energy player at the National Hockey League level. Needs to work on improving his defensive-zone coverage.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Versatile depth forward.

Stats:
14-8-22 in 92 NHL games with San Jose
44-59-103 in 121 AHL games with the Worcester Sharks
64-75-139 in 165 NCAA games with Boston College

Titles and honors:
Gold with USA at 2005 U18 World Championship
Hockey East All-Rookie Team 2006
NCAA Champion 2008 with Boston College
Hockey East All-Tournament Team 2008

Drafted by the Coyotes but never given a contract, signed an ELC with San Jose instead. The Sharks did not make him a qualifying offer last month so be became UFA.

First (and only) NHL playoff goal in his first NHL playoff game:

Fun fact: 6 of his total 15 regular season and playoff goals were game-winners. He is score.

Oh and here's his first, best and only NHL fight:

Last edited by Burgs: 07-13-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Of course he went to Boston College

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Hugh Madbrough

I might have to make the trek to WBS this winter, they should be awesome. That being said it would have been cool if Shero signed a difference maker instead of wbs depth.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Any signing that's not a legit top 6 wing option is going to get shat on around here, at this point.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:40 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Madbrough View Post
I might have to make the trek to WBS this winter, they should be awesome. That being said it would have been cool if Shero signed a difference maker instead of wbs depth.
Yeah, I wish Shero could force UFAs to sign too. Stupid waiting for other people to decide on their own futures.

You sign what's available that fits your needs. Depth, as we should know, is always a need. We are going to lose players to injury (and probably suspensions) throughout the season. I know we all like to think our 18 year old rookies are amazing and awesome and world-beaters, but it's nice to have some insurance.

If anything, the one who should be worried is Adams.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:42 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Also, how weird is it that 5'11", 195 is undersized in the NHL these days? That's cruiserweight/borderline heavyweight size in boxing.

All that HGH in the milk is really paying off!

Old
07-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Yeah, I wish Shero could force UFAs to sign too. Stupid waiting for other people to decide on their own futures.

You sign what's available that fits your needs. Depth, as we should know, is always a need. We are going to lose players to injury (and probably suspensions) throughout the season. I know we all like to think our 18 year old rookies are amazing and awesome and world-beaters, but it's nice to have some insurance.

If anything, the one who should be worried is Adams.
The guy's been a warrior for us, but it's time to put him out to pasture.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:47 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
The guy's been a warrior for us, but it's time to put him out to pasture.
Yeah, I honestly see him on the waiver pile by the end of camp. Someone who wants vet experience will take him, but I think you'd be hard pressed to trade him to anyone in particular.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Also, how weird is it that 5'11", 195 is undersized in the NHL these days? That's cruiserweight/borderline heavyweight size in boxing.

haha solid post.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:50 AM
cassius

Quote:

Because 5'11" 195 is actually 5'9" and 180

It's pretty well known that a lot of these height/weight stats are inflated.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Riptide

Having a successful and winning AHL team is good for the development of our young guys in WBS.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:14 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskennedy View Post
he's the 50th contract, but Harrington may not count towards that, if thats the case we have 1 spot left
Harrington will definetly be going back to juniors so his contract won't start until next year. I think we are going to see a trade at some point. A solid winger for Crosby in exchange for multiple players that will come off the books.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Having a successful and winning AHL team is good for the development of our young guys in WBS.
It is possible though to have too many vets that push prospects out of important roles on the team. I don't want Uher or Bennett to be passengers while Smith, Dupuis and this guy carry all the offense.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalkinX View Post
WBS might be more fun to watch then the Pens this year. Aren't the baby Pens te only team in their division to not win the Calder Cup?
Yes. They are the only team in their division to not win a Calder Cup. I look forward to hearing how some of them react to this. Somehow, Pittsburgh will not be giving them a legitimate chance to win.

Last edited by Solution: 07-13-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Calrifying to make it known that I am not including all WBS fans in this.
Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:25 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

How many contracts may one team possess?

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveluci View Post
how many contracts may one team possess?

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Shero is trying to build an AHL all star team.... no idea why.
Depth is never, ever a bad thing.

I like Ferriero. He's a very solid 4th liner. Tough and responsible defensively, although no real offense to speak of. Good call-up or spare player.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Yeah, I honestly see him on the waiver pile by the end of camp. Someone who wants vet experience will take him, but I think you'd be hard pressed to trade him to anyone in particular.
I can see that...but I have no doubt that some young team wanting to add veteran expertise (and a Harvard guy with 2 rings to boot) would toss a pick at us. Not a good one, but Adams should garner a 5th rounder at least if he's put on the block. If that happens it'll be Shero going against Bylsma's word, that's for sure.

Of all the AHL studs we've added this off-season Ferriero may be the best in the NHL. That's not saying much, but he's not a bad option as a 13th forward...especially when he's closer to our 15th or 16th option.

WBS damn well better be beast-mode this coming season.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
I foresee Lovejoy and Adams being either traded for nothing or waived.

You guys forget how highly this organization thinks of Sill. I think he is also very possible to start up in the NHL. Should be nice to have some grinder competition in camp.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:43 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Yeah, he may be no great shakes offensively, but if he's replacing Adams, he just has to be better than "awful".

Don't get me wrong, I was an Adams backer when he came here, but I think Vitale and Glass have made him more than expendable. He can go the Marc Bergevin route and mentor some young team somewhere.

Interestingly enough, these signings are also suggesting (to me, at least) that they're going with someone internally for that 2nd line LW position, probably Tangradi.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Madbrough View Post
Good in theory, but to be honest, there are none. It was either Parise, Doan, or.....?

Both are long shot to sign here. Parise had practically made up his mind. Doan may want to stay out west. Everyone else out there is not really worth overpaying for or is not what I'd consider a "difference-maker".

Bolster the bottom of the line-up. It's a good strategy for this offseason. Unless we go trade, I don't see any other options available. Shero is doing what he can.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:54 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Semin would still be an improvement in the short term, but his signing would have a few drawbacks from a personnel standpoint. Here's a few scenarios:

One: that would remove the only option for Tangradi to advance, since Cooke is better suited to the LW on the 3rd line, and barring an injury to Kunitz, the other top LW spot is taken.

Two: Kennedy is out the door. Semin takes the 2nd RW spot like he did in Washington, and Dupuis is bumped to the 3rd. That would be a great third line, but where do you put Kennedy? He's overpaid and undersized for the 4th

Three: Tangradi ends up back on the 4th, as does Jeffery, but they don't develop properly. Both would be snagged on waivers, though, so they can't be sent down.

A best case Semin scenario is we sign him and keep Jeffery and Tangradi up for spot-duty/injuries.

I think it's probably likely the Pens tendered Semin an offer, but I'd imagine they'd want to keep it pretty short term, and he's balking. He'd still be an improvement, by far, on the wing, but I kind of doubt he makes much sense as an investment going forward. And if the Pens are high on the potential of one of their prospects, it makes it more likely that we'll just stay put for the offseason and see how things shake out.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:59 AM
vikingGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Because 5'11" 195 is actually 5'9" and 180

It's pretty well known that a lot of these height/weight stats are inflated.
quoted for truth.

Tyler Kennedy is listed as 5'11" 183lbs.

I am 5'10" and I've seen him at a local restaurant and I I'm easily 2"+ taller then him.
I doubt he is 5'11" on skates.

vikingGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
ONLY if the young guys actually contribute to the cause. Right now, WB-S looks like an old-school International Hockey League team. Did the Manchester Monarchs do well in the AHL this past season? Cuz I'd take their roster over any other right about now. The Kings are overflowing with NHL prospects (AT EVERY POSITION, TOO).

I'd rather see the AHL club lose every single game with actual NHL prospects playing than having a Calder Cup champion with all our NHL prospects buried on the roster (or in the ECHL).

But maybe that's just me.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:00 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Puzzles me. another contract spot filled. we must be close to the limit now? Guess we wont get another NHL signing this year. Tangradi or TK in the top 6? my god, a contender with 10 mil in capspace has to be able to do better than that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
so we'll need to move someone if we want to bring in more than one more guy regardless of cap. Interesting.

As others have mentioned, we're certainly not done yet. Lovejoy is almost certain to be moved/waived, and if we wanted to go after a forward by trade (i.e. Martin for whomever; Strait/Bortuzzo for whomever), we'll have a body or two going out the other way to make it even.

And it's still really early in the summer. There's lots of time left and we know more moves are coming. If the Pens think one or both of Tangradi/Jeffrey aren't going to fit in here but they have some value, they could be packaged with a Dman to & some other assets in a trade to bring in a better player. And, of course, it's very easy to drop anyone of our bottom 3/#13-14 forwards at either the NHL or AHL level to make room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
YEah, but wonth say, Straits value plummet if we dont move him before camp. Because the team thats interested may as well hope to get him on waivers instead.

Relax. This isn't the case. Strait has value and that will not change between now and the beginning of the season (unless he gets badly injured). He is a known commodity amongst NHL teams' management & scouting staff, and if he is the one that the Pens decide to move in a trade, he'll have some value. The Pens are not stupid and they will not let a guy like Strait or Bortuzzo get claimed off waivers. If they don't want to keep them on the team this season (and all indications are that they do want to), they will either trade them and get some value, or play them for 10-20+ games to showcase them and increase their value and then trade them. We're not going to lose one of those guys for nothing.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote