HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pens sign forward Benn Ferriero

Old
07-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Alex Semin is still an option.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:16 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
I foresee Lovejoy and Adams being either traded for nothing or waived.

You guys forget how highly this organization thinks of Sill. I think he is also very possible to start up in the NHL. Should be nice to have some grinder competition in camp.
You seem to forget how highly they think of Adams.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
You seem to forget how highly they think of Adams.
I expect him to be thoroughly outplayed at camp by no less than 13 or 14 forwards.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Bishop7979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I expect him to be thoroughly outplayed at camp by no less than 13 or 14 forwards.
I don't believe his game has fallen so far that there are 14 players that will outplay him in the role he is asked to play. I don't see the organization pulling up a promising young guy to fill in as a fourth liner and I feel like there aren't that many haulers in the minors suited to fill his roe that would grossly out perform him right now... Being his DB 2.0 I'd be shocked to see him not on the opening night roster.

Bishop7979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop7979 View Post
I don't believe his game has fallen so far that there are 14 players that will outplay him in the role he is asked to play. I don't see the organization pulling up a promising young guy to fill in as a fourth liner and I feel like there aren't that many haulers in the minors suited to fill his roe that would grossly out perform him right now... Being his DB 2.0 I'd be shocked to see him not on the opening night roster.
Guys who are obviously better

Crosby
Malkin
Kunitz
Neal
Sutter
Dupuis
TK
Cooke
Vitale
Glass

Guys I think are better and at least 3 will show it at camp
Tangradi
Jeffrey
Sill
Ferriero
Dupuis 2

Old
07-13-2012, 11:34 AM
bigd

Quote:
That's been happening almost every camp but they still resign him. I think he has some inside dirt on Shero that keeps him from being cut.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
That's been happening almost every camp but they still resign him. I think he has some inside dirt on Shero that keeps him from being cut.
We finally replaced his penalty kill spot with Glass. I think that could be the key.

Dupuis
Cooke
Sutter
Glass
Vitale
Jeffrey

are all as good or better at killing penalties.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:40 AM
murdock1116

Sharks fan coming in peace.

Just wanted to let you guys know that this is a good signing. Benn Ferriero was my favorite "random" shark player.

Basically Ferriero has a knack for being clutch. Take that for what it is to those who are more "stats" guys. But the guy scored 7 goals for us last year, and 4 of them were game winners! (also he has a playoff OT winner)

When he was in our lineup I think we were like 19 - 9 - 7. (which was an improvement on when he wasn't in our lineup)

At times he looks lost on the ice. Can't play the cycle game, bad chemistry with his teammates. But then he ends up scoring a game winner late in the third. That's the type of player her is. Good forechecker, but not necessarily an amazing defender. A bit enigmatic.

He seems to lack some confidence, but if he can put it all together he has the potential to be a nice 3rd line tweener. (filling top 6 roles when players are injured) At worst he is a career AHL player who can get a PPG.

He also won a national championship with Nathan Gerbe on BC.

Hope he plays well for you guys!

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Bishop7979

Quote:
Guys who are obviously better

Crosby
Malkin
Kunitz
Neal
Sutter
Dupuis
TK
Cooke
Vitale
Glass

Guys I think are better and at least 3 will show it at camp
Tangradi
Jeffrey
Sill
Ferriero
Dupuis 2
In the role he is expected to play, I assumed that would take Sid though Cooke and prob vitale off that list. Tangradi should not be playing 4th line wing, if this is what DB has planned for him, trade him. I'm not convinced Jeffery is the same player till I actually see him play, sill has no NHL experience and that coupled with DBs man crush on Adams could easily have sill start the year in the ahl. Ferriero is mostly an offensive guy at every level outside of the NHL and might not have the pk experience to take a spot from Adams... Dupuis the lesser though may be the guy to do it.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
In the role he is expected to play, I assumed that would take Sid though Cooke and prob vitale off that list. Tangradi should not be playing 4th line wing, if this is what DB has planned for him, trade him. I'm not convinced Jeffery is the same player till I actually see him play, sill has no NHL experience and that coupled with DBs man crush on Adams could easily have sill start the year in the ahl. Ferriero is mostly an offensive guy at every level outside of the NHL and might not have the pk experience to take a spot from Adams... Dupuis the lesser though may be the guy to do it.
You don't get rid of a guy like Tangradi so that Craig Adams can keep a spot. I don't care if he's better suited for the role. Tangradi has a chance to be the kind of player that is very hard to find. We could replace Adams in the next 10 minutes if we had to.

Cooke and TK would both upgrade the 4th line over Adams. And as of right now, the fact that they are overpaid as 4th liners isn't even remotely important. Don't want Tangradi on the 4th line? Put him on the third and put Cooke or TK on the 4th. Matt Cooke is seriously better than Craig Adams in every single way a hockey player can be better.

And Vitale is clearly better than Adams at this point as well. Going in to last year, I was an Adams supporter. But by the end of last season he was a bad hockey player more nights than not.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Bishop7979

Quote:
You don't get rid of a guy like Tangradi so that Craig Adams can keep a spot. I don't care if he's better suited for the role. Tangradi has a chance to be the kind of player that is very hard to find. We could replace Adams in the next 10 minutes if we had to.
I'm not saying you trade him so Adams has a job, I'm saying you don't stunt a players growth by asking him to take adams eight minutes a game when that player is expected to be an offensive prospect. If DB isn't ever going to give tangradi a chance to play real minutes with real line mates and let him make mistakes and not immediately bench him instead of letting learn from them trade him for an asset that is comparable but not yet waiver eligible and can developer in the ahl, or make him part of a bigger package that will bring back one player that makes Cooke and TK not an option in the top six.

Cooke and TK are legit third line players, calling them overpaid fourth liners is a joke. Both players average production and skill set are similar to most third liners on good teams in the NHL. And to move either of them down you would need a real upgrade in the top six that would trickle down the depth chart, outside of signing Doan and semin or one of the young guys getting a major promotion that's not happening

Old
07-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I'm not saying you trade him so Adams has a job, I'm saying you don't stunt a players growth by asking him to take adams eight minutes a game when that player is expected to be an offensive prospect. If DB isn't ever going to give tangradi a chance to play real minutes with real line mates and let him make mistakes and not immediately bench him instead of letting learn from them trade him for an asset that is comparable but not yet waiver eligible and can developer in the ahl, or make him part of a bigger package that will bring back one player that makes Cooke and TK not an option in the top six.
so you just don't trust the coaching to handle Tangradi right. I guess that's reasonable at this point. Though right now Tangradi is likely to be in the top 9 somewhere out of necessity. Either thrown into the fire in the top 6 or replacing TK on the 3rd line. Without another signing Bylsma really isn't going to have much choice but to play him.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
Sharks fan coming in peace.

Just wanted to let you guys know that this is a good signing. Benn Ferriero was my favorite "random" shark player.

Basically Ferriero has a knack for being clutch. Take that for what it is to those who are more "stats" guys. But the guy scored 7 goals for us last year, and 4 of them were game winners! (also he has a playoff OT winner)

When he was in our lineup I think we were like 19 - 9 - 7. (which was an improvement on when he wasn't in our lineup)

At times he looks lost on the ice. Can't play the cycle game, bad chemistry with his teammates. But then he ends up scoring a game winner late in the third. That's the type of player her is. Good forechecker, but not necessarily an amazing defender. A bit enigmatic.

He seems to lack some confidence, but if he can put it all together he has the potential to be a nice 3rd line tweener. (filling top 6 roles when players are injured) At worst he is a career AHL player who can get a PPG.

He also won a national championship with Nathan Gerbe on BC.

Hope he plays well for you guys!
Thanks for your take. Very appreciated.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:03 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
ONLY if the young guys actually contribute to the cause. Right now, WB-S looks like an old-school International Hockey League team. Did the Manchester Monarchs do well in the AHL this past season? Cuz I'd take their roster over any other right about now. The Kings are overflowing with NHL prospects (AT EVERY POSITION, TOO).

I'd rather see the AHL club lose every single game with actual NHL prospects playing than having a Calder Cup champion with all our NHL prospects buried on the roster (or in the ECHL).

But maybe that's just me.
Amen to that - this move makes little sense to me.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:09 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Amen to that - this move makes little sense to me.
unless all these guys we signed displace guys like BB, Kuhn, Uher in WBS lineup i have no problem with it. having our Prospects play with good players can only help them.

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KirbyDots

I really wanted the Sharks to re-sign Ferriero. He's all heart, scores timely goals, and has a ton of skill. His size is the only thing that kept him back from earning a roster spot. He's an ideal 13th forward of call up with potential to be much more, hope he gets the shot.

Oh, and someone on the Pens board save these and keep them alive.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Given how he does at camp, I don't think having another 12/13 guy who can put a few in the net is a bad thing at all. All it is, really, is another guy who can possibly push Adams out of the lineup.

And given how much Adams is hated here, you'd think he'd be welcomed with open arms for that alone.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:10 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
I really wanted the Sharks to re-sign Ferriero. He's all heart, scores timely goals, and has a ton of skill. His size is the only thing that kept him back from earning a roster spot. He's an ideal 13th forward of call up with potential to be much more, hope he gets the shot.

Oh, and someone on the Pens board save these and keep them alive.

ha nice, i may have to use the 2nd one as my new avatar, replacing the Crosby one lol

Old
07-13-2012, 12:10 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskennedy View Post
unless all these guys we signed displace guys like BB, Kuhn, Uher in WBS lineup i have no problem with it. having our Prospects play with good players can only help them.
Our young players need to play the impact minutes in order to develop.... not AHL lifers like Ferriero or Dupuis who have almost 0 chance of developing into NHL regulars.

We talk about how developing forwards is an organizational weakness (and it is) - then we go out and sign a bunch of re-treads to play the impact minutes in our farm club. Just doesn't make much sense to me.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:13 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Our young players need to play the impact minutes.... not AHL lifers like Ferriero or Dupuis.

We talk about how developing forwards is an organizational weakness (and it is) - then we go out and sign a bunch of re-treads to play the impact minutes in our farm club. Just doesn't make much sense to me.
And yet, we also talk non-stop about the need for competition, for prospects to battle it out, to earn their spots, etc.

You can't have both. Either you have competition, or you give them spots.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:14 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Our young players need to play the impact minutes.... not AHL lifers like Ferriero or Dupuis.

i don't disagree, but there will be injuries where we may need these guys, and hopefully our prospects play well enough where they can earn big minutes in WBS. i get your point tho.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:18 PM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
ONLY if the young guys actually contribute to the cause. Right now, WB-S looks like an old-school International Hockey League team. Did the Manchester Monarchs do well in the AHL this past season? Cuz I'd take their roster over any other right about now. The Kings are overflowing with NHL prospects (AT EVERY POSITION, TOO).

I'd rather see the AHL club lose every single game with actual NHL prospects playing than having a Calder Cup champion with all our NHL prospects buried on the roster (or in the ECHL).

But maybe that's just me.
That's fantastic, and so would many of us if it were all up to us. Unfortunately for Ron Burkle and Mario Lemieux, the residents of Wilkes Barre/Scranton are not going to pay to watch games if the team down there is just a doormat intended to give Penguins prospects as much ice time against other AHL-level talent as possible.

This is still a business, and as much as our prospects are talented, they are not capable of carrying a team over AHL veterans without some AHL star talent to help them.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Mattb124

Based on the comments above, Pitt fans will be pleasantly surprised by his offense, but will probably be slightly underwhelmed by his defense/grittiness. Benn has a nose for the net and scores a lot of ugly, in-the-crease type goals, which you wouldn't expect froma player of his stature. He is one of those players who kills it in the AHL and comes up just short offensively for top-6 NHL duties and just short in the defense and hitting for the bottom 6 NHL duties. Overall, he is a solid depth player, just not quite an NHL regular (or wasn't with the Shark's).

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Iron Chef

Sharks fan here. Just wanted to post some thoughts.

Personally, I thought it was a mistake to let Benny go. I can only speculate that he and Doug Wilson reached a mutual consensus that he wasnt going to become a regular in San Jose for some time because of his inconsistency.

He has a knack for scoring big goals/GWGs. I think it's a solid deal for Pitt. The only thing that concerns me is that you guys have better scoring depth than we do, and yet the concern was that he couldn't stay in the lineup in SJ. Perhaps its a development project for Shero who wants to be proactive.

I think Benny will enjoy Pitt. I'm going to miss him. He'll be a great call-up option for you guys. I am surprised he got a raise, but could be because he had other offers.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:31 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Sharks fan here. Just wanted to post some thoughts.

Personally, I thought it was a mistake to let Benny go. I can only speculate that he and Doug Wilson reached a mutual consensus that he wasnt going to become a regular in San Jose for some time because of his inconsistency.

He has a knack for scoring big goals/GWGs. I think it's a solid deal for Pitt. The only thing that concerns me is that you guys have better scoring depth than we do, and yet the concern was that he couldn't stay in the lineup in SJ. Perhaps its a development project for Shero who wants to be proactive.

I think Benny will enjoy Pitt. I'm going to miss him. He'll be a great call-up option for you guys. I am surprised he got a raise, but could be because he had other offers.
even if this guy never gets called up to Pittsburgh, judging by the posts, like this one, by Sharks fans, i have a feeling we'll like this guy. again, even if he never gets called up, he might still be a fan favorite. depth signings like this don't hurt.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote