HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sabres sign Zemgus Girgensons

Old
07-14-2012, 01:29 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Clearly, he impressed them during the development camp, yet I can't shake the fear that they are going to rush him and it will stunt his development.
Yea, I have the same concerns. Time will tell.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:36 AM
Imlach a cup

He did much more than spurn Kelowna. He drew a line in the sand and called the organization out as unethical in it's handling of him in an interview with NHL.com. He further said he sees no chance of a future with the CHL. Sounds to me like he wouldn't have even considered turning pro if the Sabres planned on sending him there.

Quote from ZG: "They disrespected my thoughts and I felt like they didn't even trust me."

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:44 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
He did much more than spurn Kelowna. He drew a line in the sand and called the organization out as unethical in it's handling of him in an interview with NHL.com. He further said he sees no chance of a future with the CHL. Sounds to me like he wouldn't have even considered turning pro if the Sabres planned on sending him there.

Quote from ZG: "They disrespected my thoughts and I felt like they didn't even trust me."
Sorry, but his feelings come from his ignorance about the CHL.
He has no idea how things work.

Hell, he didn't even really have an idea about how the NHL Draft worked and admitted as much in his post-draft interviews.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Imlach a cup

So the advisor he had was doing what during the point he was being ignorant? The same advisor that he also said was being "pushed" into trying to get ZG out of DuBuque. Everyone who who talks about this guy says loyalty and integrity are 1 and 2 on his list. Sure seams like Kelowna doesn't fit in his book.

Old
07-14-2012, 02:39 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
im curious if he is staying with the Sabres or going to the juniors in WHL or somewhere else.
He wasn't drafted out of the CHL so he can go to the AHL this year, which is more than likely where he starts. If he stinks it up there, he can go to the WHL, but 1) Kelwona will have to trade his rights to somebody because he won't play for them, and 2) he was very committed to UVM and very fond of their coaching staff...I'm sure he didn't bail on that to play juniors.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Jim 1031 View Post
Based on the reports out of Buffalo, along with recent statements made by Ruff, Regier, and Girgensons himself, the plan appears to be for him to start in the AHL and not the WHL. I really don't see anyway he starts in the WHL unless he really struggles during training camp. In my opinion, I think the odds of him starting the season with the Sabres are higher than him starting the season on a WHL team.

I don't believe this decision for Girgensons was ever between Vermont and WHL. It was between Vermont or the AHL/NHL, and I think his play during Prospects Camp made the decision a much easier one. Zemgus was unquestionably one of the biggest standouts this week and looked physically-ready to compete at the AHL level. His compete level, leadership qualities, and maturity were on display all week, as well as, a fair amount of skill. Also, the fact that the Sabres have a coach in Rochester, Ron Rolston, whose pedigree was in developing younger players in the USNDP, makes this a good fit for Girgensons.
I can understand that. Still, even though he looks ready it never hurts to play 1 more year in the juniors. The way i see it he could improve his offensive skills even more. Rushing player of that type to the men's leagues can turn him strictly into a defensive player and his offensive production might come only until he is older.

He wasnt exactly a scoring machine in the USHL (about PPG through 2 seasons) so its hard for me to see him scoring tons in the AHL.

Is the need for 3rd line center so urgent for the Sabres that they need to take the risk and rush this guy?

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:47 AM
Imlach a cup

I think this was more about getting the Dirty Girgy out of the college ranks and the only way ZG would agree is if they gave him some guarantee he'd be in the A or the N.

Old
07-14-2012, 08:18 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
his coach at UVM thinks it's the right choice
I doubt this is the case.

Sneddon said the PC thing, but I doubt he thinks it's the right choice and only part of that is selfishness.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:52 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
The quote in the OP tells me right away that the WHL is out. It also makes it sound as if it's Z's spot to lose with the big club. The sabres have plans for him, the AHL is the backup plan. I find it hard to believe that he walked into a meeting with Ruff and Regier, and they were able to sell him on the AHL. If they told him he was going to play in Rochester, he would have gone to college instead.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
The 6-foot-1, 200-pound Girgensons was the second of Buffalo's two first-round picks at the NHL Draft last month in Pittsburgh. He was taken 14th overall after a draft-night trade with Calgary, becoming the highest-drafted Latvian in NHL history. His deal will pay $925,000 per season.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...ece?sabrespace

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:45 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
I can understand that. Still, even though he looks ready it never hurts to play 1 more year in the juniors. The way i see it he could improve his offensive skills even more. Rushing player of that type to the men's leagues can turn him strictly into a defensive player and his offensive production might come only until he is older.

He wasnt exactly a scoring machine in the USHL (about PPG through 2 seasons) so its hard for me to see him scoring tons in the AHL.

Is the need for 3rd line center so urgent for the Sabres that they need to take the risk and rush this guy?
Yes, they need an 18 year old to be their third line center so they can lock up that elusive ninth place spot again.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:12 AM
jagz

I'm happy the Caps drafted Forsberg, but I had my eye on Girgensons & Faksa for a while prior to the draft. Everyone likes a good, big center. I think Girgensons will be a real good player, better than Gigorenko. Good for Buffalo drafting both of them.

jagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Brady Skjei

My father's parents are Latvian, and my grandpa changed the family last name because he wanted to "sound more American." The fact that Antons Znotins isn't my name really gets to me some times.

Brady Skjei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:54 AM
dkollidas

I'm glad they drafted him, and glad they signed him. He's got the size and attitude to start playing against men. I wouldn't be surprised if he's centering the 3rd line for Buffalo by seasons end, killing penalties and being a total SOB for other teams to play against.

Also, I trust Lindy and Darcy on this one, they usually don't rush prospects, and the fact that they were so inclined to sign him tells me they believe he's ready for it.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:16 PM
adolfz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who came into this thread just to comment on the kid's name. I really hope he makes the NHL asap, I would watch Sabres games just to hear Rick call Zemgus.

I wish my parents were Latvian...
I am glad for your enthusiasm, but having Latvian parents won't help you much this time. Zemgus is extremely rare name in Latvia and sounds almost just as odd for us. It's kind of ancient name, not that I have any friend or relative named Zemgus, I even don't know any other Latvian with this name.

adolfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:23 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post

His coach at Dubuque believes that Girgensons is a player who even if he only plays 7 minutes a game could really help a team (even the Sabres) because of the total package--not just offensive skills. Girgensons is a guy who set the tone physically, wear down a defense, and play good defense. Not to mention he's a leader (even as a rookie...in development camp he basically became de facto captain of the prospects the way he talked/acted/etc.).

Would he be better served with another year of development? Maybe. But he could also be able to step into the role Couturier did last season for the Flyers.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yep, it's rare and players succeeding after being forced into that situation are even more rare.

This is an awful decision from the Sabres unless he's going to Kelowna.
He has to be going somewhere other than Rochester. This makes little sense.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:57 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorangers19 View Post
My father's parents are Latvian, and my grandpa changed the family last name because he wanted to "sound more American." The fact that Antons Znotins isn't my name really gets to me some times.
Umm......hf boards, not therapy.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorangers19 View Post
The fact that Antons Znotins isn't my name really gets to me some times.

You do realize that in the 17 billion years since the Big Bang no one else has ever said this.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:20 PM
NUhockey
Roy So Hard

This really stinks for UVM and Hockey East, but the kid was just too good.
Take it from me though, at least he won't be haunting the Catamounts.

I would have liked too had seen him play at the collegiate level though, he's such an exciting player to watch.

NUhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:49 PM
threeVo

Guy will probably get an NHL tryout ala Myers and see if he forces the team through camp and reg season games to keep him around. If not his contract can still slide for 2 years in the AHL if he doesnt clip 10 games per season

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
The fact you know anything about that is worse than the post itself.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Eisen

Cool name.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
I love that name. It belongs in a World's Strongest Man competition or something of the like.
Magnus Ver Magnusson.

BEST.NAME.EVER.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Why doesn't Kelowna just trade his rights to Victoria and I can watch him all year?

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote