HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane Doan thread (Buccigross - The ridiculous offer is Buffalo's)

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2012, 11:01 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
In what world is Doan worth $7.5 over the next 4 years. Sign Doan and we're probobly not in position to get any big name UFA's in the next four years.
I dunno about that... Vanek, Pominville, Miller and Ott are up in 2 years.

This move is deaperation but you're also looking at your top 2 forwards and your #1 goalie all being ufa's in 2 seasons.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:08 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
It's good to hear we're still in the running. It makes me feel our offer was the big rumored one. Could you imagine Darcy, Lindy, and Terry flying out to Phoenix or Doan's offseason home to persuade him just like Regehr, all oblivious and unknown to the media?

I think Doan is fully entitled to a full NMC, to be honest, from whatever team he signs with. I don't think it's either unreasonable or unfair.
I agree. Biggest thing is that he might want a low key place thats good fof his family. Not all gockey players.want the lights and fame of NYC and LA. Darcy was talking HUGE about Pegula and the city being a great place to live with a family. Saying thats a pitch hed throw at someone...

No doubt in my mind that is the angle they were playing and that its seriously possible he comes here.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:11 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Doan would be great to have, but at that price... egad.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Moskau

Doan is a loser. He has been all of his career. He's one of those players that is good but gets vastly overrated into some "world class leader" because he stuck it out with a **** team for all of his career.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Shane Doan is Rick Nash in ten years.

Old
07-18-2012, 12:29 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Doan is a loser. He has been all of his career. He's one of those players that is good but gets vastly overrated into some "world class leader" because he stuck it out with a **** team for all of his career.
Hmmm.. if somebody called him overated they could maybe back it up with a solid arguement. To call him a loser though? I have to disagree.

With that being said I'm on the fence, I want him on the sabres but not for more than 3 or 4 years.. and not for superstar $

I trust Regier makes the right move though..

Old
07-18-2012, 05:26 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

I see now way Doan signs here his life is in Phoenix so if he doesn't go there he'll go somewhere close, look for California to have the best chance imho. If we did get him I'd be very happy, up to a 4 year deal imho, front loaded but no more than $4mill per season cap hit.

Old
07-18-2012, 05:28 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Completely see why you'd see that, but his a classy competitor who can put up points and is a decent leader. Those are attributes we could deal with. Also landing someone like him might help improve the name of Buffalo after our failed season.

Old
07-18-2012, 05:33 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Ward View Post
shane doan will never be a sabre
exactly...if you guys want to fantasize about the sabres signing a forward, start thinking about Andrei Kostitsyn from Nashville

Old
07-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Well, there are all those in-season wins and playoff appearances to look at right? Oh. Wait.

Yeah, his vaunted leadership has meant **** all to the Coyotes production of wins, both in the regular season and playoffs on those couple of occasions when they've made it.

07-18-2012, 07:58 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
exactly...if you guys want to fantasize about the sabres signing a forward, start thinking about Andrei Kostitsyn from Nashville
Okay Insiderrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old
07-18-2012, 08:19 AM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
When determining whether someone is a good leader or not, I don't look at how many cups or playoff series' they've won. Hockey is a team sport. I look at whether their team regularly outperforms expectations. Through the years, I've often noticed Phoenix having more points than I expected after casually analyzing their roster at the beginning of each season. I think Doan is a good leader.

But, of course, he's more than just a good set of intangibles. The guy is a good player. He can score goals and plays physical. He only costs money and cap room (no prospects). I'd love to add Doan b/c it makes our team better instantly.

1 year 7.5
2 years 7
3 years 6
4 years 4.5 with a huge signing bonus

Old
07-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew94 View Post
When determining whether someone is a good leader or not, I don't look at how many cups or playoff series' they've won. Hockey is a team sport. I look at whether their team regularly outperforms expectations. Through the years, I've often noticed Phoenix having more points than I expected after casually analyzing their roster at the beginning of each season. I think Doan is a good leader.

But, of course, he's more than just a good set of intangibles. The guy is a good player. He can score goals and plays physical. He only costs money and cap room (no prospects). I'd love to add Doan b/c it makes our team better instantly.

1 year 7.5
2 years 7
3 years 6
The six straight seasons without a playoff birth, the two playoff round victories in their entire existence speak so well of an over-performing roster.

And it could also be argued that Dave Tippett is an awesome defensive-first coach who has missed the playoffs once in 9 seasons as a head coach, that he gets more from less than just about any HC in hockey.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:34 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew94 View Post

1 year 7.5
2 years 7
3 years 6
I'm on board with this. Not to mention the dude stays healthy. Its not 7m (Or whatever it ends up being) sitting in the press box every game. Its 7m spent on a player who plays in all situations and who will in all likelyhood give you 60 points along with leadership.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
This is a riot:

Quote:
As promised, a full and comprehensive list of every NHL team that hasn't surfaced as a potential landing spot for veteran free agent winger Shane Doan:

Devils
Panthers
Blue Jackets
Flames
Wild
Ducks
....so that's 24 teams linked to Doan in some way.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:57 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The six straight seasons without a playoff birth, the two playoff round victories in their entire existence speak so well of an over-performing roster.

And it could also be argued that Dave Tippett is an awesome defensive-first coach who has missed the playoffs once in 9 seasons as a head coach, that he gets more from less than just about any HC in hockey.
I dunno. I don't think you can blame that all on 1 player. Not saying you are but you seem to be putting a lot of blame or cutting down Doan because of their lack of success. It may be true... but that team has had some pretty awful players for quite a while. The only thing I think he is guilty of is sticking around in Phoenix for another 5 years after the team hadn't done squat. Most other players would've bolted.

Intangibles and skill in 1 player can only take a team so far when most everyone else is a 2nd/3rd liner at best. During that time the Coyotes were rushing far too many young players into the NHL and they weren't having much success not to mention their goaltending was a mess until they claimed Bryzgalov off waivers.

Last edited by S319R11S16: 07-18-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old
07-18-2012, 09:00 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
This is a riot:

....so that's 24 teams linked to Doan in some way.
Not really sure why. He's a good player who is a veteran, hard worker, plays in all situations, and isn't a ***** to be around. He's a good guy. Why wouldn't every team who consider themselves a non-rebuilder take a look at him?

Last edited by S319R11S16: 07-18-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old
07-18-2012, 10:27 AM
michaelsaas

I'm surprised Anaheim isn't after him their proximity to Phx would give them an advantage over any other team except the Kings IMO

Old
07-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Clock

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Shane Doan is Rick Nash in ten years.
Exactly my gut feeling as well, gentlemen. He'd be a great complimentary piece, but at that cap hit, I'm just not interested.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:30 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Exactly my gut feeling as well, gentlemen. He'd be a great complimentary piece, but at that cap hit, I'm just not interested.
I would love Doan on the Sabres as a player.

I would hate his contract if it is the 4 yrs $30M.

I could probably live with something like 4 yrs $18M or 2 yrs $11M. But, neither of those deals gets it done.

So, the question is would I rather not have Doan on the team at all or Doan on the team with a bad contract. And that is a tough one for me to answer.

Side note: If players in the room were ticked off by the contracts that Ehrhoff and Leino got, how would Doan getting 4 yrs $30M go over? Or, are people expecting that Roy was the #1 person with that issue?

Old
07-18-2012, 11:32 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

What a twist. How did we get to "Doan is a loser"?

Old
07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
"We" didn't get to that comment. One misguided poster got there

Old
07-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
"We" didn't get to that comment. One misguided poster got there
Misguided? Eh. Looking at the piss-poor teams in Phoenix pre-Tippett, there isn't a whole lot to endorse Doan as someone with a winning pedigree as an NHLer.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:36 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
WGR talked about it yesterday.

And it is an interesting conversation. For instance, would Shane Doan's lack of playoff success be held against him more if he were Russian as opposed to Canadian? If he's a great leader, why was this year the first time his team made it out of the first round?

Granted, Doan hasn't had a great supporting cast for many years. But, it's an interesting conversation.....

Old
07-18-2012, 11:40 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
WGR talked about it yesterday.

And it is an interesting conversation. For instance, would Shane Doan's lack of playoff success be held against him more if he were Russian as opposed to Canadian? If he's a great leader, why was this year the first time his team made it out of the first round?

Granted, Doan hasn't had a great supporting cast for many years. But, it's an interesting conversation.....
But Im confused. So then why arent we chasing Semin?

Closed Thread