HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane Doan thread (Buccigross - The ridiculous offer is Buffalo's)

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2012, 11:12 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

vCash: 500
Can't believe we're almost at 1000 posts for a guy that doesn't want to come here, and would be massively overpaid even if he did.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Can't believe we're almost at 1000 posts for a guy that doesn't want to come here, and would be massively overpaid even if he did.
i cant believe you cant believe it

Old
08-23-2012, 01:30 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Ah the dog days of hf..

Old
08-23-2012, 02:43 PM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

I just wish that the Yotes would get stabilized and Doan would re-sign in the desert since that it what he really wants.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
You know, I don't want Doan. But they'd be adding a fella who averaged 20 goals/55 points over the last three years. That's a big deal from a hockey perspective.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
I don't see Doan coming here in any scenario, but that doesn't mean this offer isn't interesting. It has ramifications far beyond Doan's specific situation.

It let's you know what Pegula/management are thinking and what moves/offers they are willing to make, which impacts the team beyond the Doan situation.

And of course, it's August and we are in the middle of the slowest, most boring NHL off-season in recent memory.

I am starting to think that next "big piece of news" is not going to come this off-season! If we head into the new season as we stand now, there will not be much to get excited about, unless one of the "Soviet" draftees magically makes the team.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:15 PM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
You know, I don't want Doan. But they'd be adding a fella who averaged 20 goals/55 points over the last three years. That's a big deal from a hockey perspective.
http://www.thehosers.com/2012/08/can...doan-help.html

Here is a good post on why those numbers are likely to dip if Doan comes to Buffalo.

Basically, he's gotten a lot more ice time in Phoenix than he'd get in Buffalo.

I'm guessing he'd be a 20g/45pt guy here. And that's not worth 4yrs $30M regardless of the intangibles he'd bring to the table.

Old
08-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
And when Miller is out for two months with concussion issues, we what, lose every game with some AHL scrub backup as the starter and an even worse backup behind him?

Adding toughness doesn't lead to scoring. We need stalwart D and G if we want to play physical so we can win games 1-0 and 2-1.
Is there a rule barring Regier from making a move for a new back-up goalie?

Old
08-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://www.thehosers.com/2012/08/can...doan-help.html

Here is a good post on why those numbers are likely to dip if Doan comes to Buffalo.

Basically, he's gotten a lot more ice time in Phoenix than he'd get in Buffalo.

I'm guessing he'd be a 20g/45pt guy here. And that's not worth 4yrs $30M regardless of the intangibles he'd bring to the table.
Of course his numbers would decline. But he's the 55th highest scorer in the league over the past three years and that says something.

Old
08-24-2012, 03:11 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Of course his numbers would decline. But he's the 55th highest scorer in the league over the past three years and that says something.
The 55th highest scorer isn't worh 7.5 mil/year.

And although I admire his two-way play and his leadership, this is a Chris Drury-NYR contract here.

Stay. Away.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:05 AM
bullseyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Is there a rule barring Regier from making a move for a new back-up goalie?
I can't seem to find a super current list of free agent goalies, but as of the end of July this was the list:

Dan Ellis (started just 16 games in the past two years)
Brent Johnson (0.883 SV, yikes)
Ty Conklin (age 36, no dice)
Dwayne Roloson (too old)
Cristobal Huet (36 years old)
Ben Scrivens (I think he got signed by Toronto, RFA)
Marty Turco (Ooooold)
Antero Niittymaki (Signed in Europe I think?, age 32)

So where is there a young free agent goalie who can play 20 games a season for the next 2-3 years and 40+ in 2015-2018 for cup runs? Most available goalies are older than Miller.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:33 AM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:
Do you think 20g/45pts + intangibles is worth $7.5M per year and 4 years in length.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
ARIZONA REPUBLIC: Sarah McLellan reports Shane Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, claims his client will sign a contract before September 15th (the end date of the current CBA), either with the Phoenix Coyotes or another team.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: At least we now have an end date for the Doan contract saga. His camp wants to get a new contract done before the current CBA expires, as they don’t know what could be contained in a new one.
http://spectorshockey.net/blog/updat...ugust-24-2012/

Quote:
"Shane is going to sign a contract before the CBA expires on the 15th," said Doan's agent, Terry Bross. "(Ownership has to) be done before the 15th, otherwise we're signing somewhere because we don't know what the new CBA is going to look like, and I don't know if it's going to limit any scope of a contract, so we want to make sure we sign before then.

"I guess from that respect, time is ticking."
Quote:
But before a deal between Doan and the Coyotes can be completed, Doan's camp maintains that an owner needs to be secured. Since becoming a free agent July 1, Doan has emerged as the last prized player available. He's received interest from 16 teams with six issuing official offers.

Despite the attention, which is rumored to include a four-year deal worth $30 million from the Buffalo Sabres, the 35-year-old winger has waited to sign in an attempt to give potential buyer Greg Jamison more time to close a deal.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...-equation.html

Old
08-24-2012, 10:40 AM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
I hope that Doan does not accept the offer. I was beginning to like where we were at and moving towards the youth movement of giving some younger guys like Tropp & Adam another legit shot at the club.

Plus, we can get Ennis nailed down and have plenty of Cap space to make a move at the deadline or next off-season to improve the club.

The Sabres are under the radar this year and I think for their mental state it is a better place to be than last season. If Doan joins the club at 7.5 mil per the expectations are back and the scrutiny of failure comes with it.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:41 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

That's unfortunate. No way the Phoenix mess gets settled in 3 weeks, and also no way that anyone else is offering him $7.5M per either.

Almost makes me thing this will happen now, and that's sad.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:51 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
That's unfortunate. No way the Phoenix mess gets settled in 3 weeks, and also no way that anyone else is offering him $7.5M per either.

Really? I'm thinking Vancouver. Shane hasn't shown any interest in us.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:52 AM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...0009--nhl.html

Quote:
"Shane is going to sign a contract before the CBA expires on the 15th," said Doan's agent, Terry Bross.

"(Ownership has to) be done before the 15th, otherwise we're signing somewhere because we don't know what the new CBA is going to look like, and I don't know if it's going to limit any scope of a contract, so we want to make sure we sign before then.

"I guess from that respect, time is ticking."
Tick tock.....

Old
08-24-2012, 10:55 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Really? I'm thinking Vancouver. Shane hasn't shown any interest in us.
He doesn't really have to. He only has to have interest in a guaranteed $30M contract.

Vancouver isn't going to offer him that.

Old
08-24-2012, 11:04 AM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Quote:

Yikes. I feel this move has so much potential for failure. Even if Doan goes 25g + 30a for 55 pts the deal still doesn't feel worth it.

So what do the Sabres do with Ennis if Doan signs?

Old
08-24-2012, 11:52 AM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeNightmare View Post
So what do the Sabres do with Ennis if Doan signs?
The Sabres need Ennis regardless of whether they get Doan or not.

Old
08-24-2012, 11:58 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

I dont understand why fans are so against a player like Doan. Forget the money, thats on Regier to handle.

Doan will give us IMO 2 years at least of 20 goals, 40 points and real top 6 leadership we are lacking.

The final 2 years I worry about, but then again its only 2 years and I am sure he would still be a valuable 3rd line player and contribute.

Old
08-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
I dont understand why fans are so against a player like Doan. Forget the money, thats on Regier to handle.

Doan will give us IMO 2 years at least of 20 goals, 40 points and real top 6 leadership we are lacking.

The final 2 years I worry about, but then again its only 2 years and I am sure he would still be a valuable 3rd line player and contribute.
For me, it's simply the opportunity cost that the cap space could be allocated more efficiently throughout the duration of that potential contract vs. Doan's potential impact on the team, especially taking his age into account and the typical dip in production that's seen after a team switch.

Old
08-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

I'd rather have Doan as the guy that Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia, Ennis, Hodgson, etc follow... then Vanek

Old
08-24-2012, 12:12 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

Sigh. How many times do people have to say 'I want Doan, just not at this price' for you guys to get it?

Doan, the player = good.

Doan, the player, at $7.5M a year = bad.

Old
08-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
For me, it's simply the opportunity cost that the cap space could be allocated more efficiently throughout the duration of that potential contract vs. Doan's potential impact on the team, especially taking his age into account and the typical dip in production that's seen after a team switch.
For Buffalo to take proper advantage of their new found luxury of money, they need to be viewed as a contender.

the 7.5 Doan eats up for 4 years... Buffalo is going to have a hard time putting it to better use in free agency (unless you are a fan of overpaying 2nd/3rd tier UFAs like Leino)

The Doan contract would be a massive overpayment... but they are also trying to buy culture change... that's a cost worth investing in IMO.

if you look at it as 4.5 million per for Doan over 4 years... and 3 million per invested in culture change that would have an impact down the road... it's all good.

The contract would be horrid for what you get out of the individual on the ice.

But if it's balanced by what you get in the lockerroom, the impact it has on the youth coming up, and the way it hopefully begins to change the perception of Buffalo... then it could be worth it

Closed Thread