HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Barclay's Center & Brooklyn/Queens Talk Part III

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Isles Junkie

vCash: 500
Barclay's Center & Brooklyn/Queens Talk Part III

Part I http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1115089
Part II http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1164091

Carry on

Old
07-13-2012, 06:08 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

I was so adamantly against going anywhere but Uniondale. At this point, after these last two embarrassing, symbolic offers, I hope Wang tells them all to go **** themselves. I hope they do move to ANYWHERE but Uniondale. Hopefully, somehwere in NY like Brooklyn.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:10 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 0
I'm fine with this team going anywhere that will allow the owner to spend money on the team, whether the owner is Wang or not and whether the team is in New York or not (obviously preferred in New York).

Johnny T deserves a ring.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:45 PM
IslesRVC416

I know this is my first post and its a 100% take it as you will, but from what I heard with people I work with (both TOH/Front Office for the Islanders) I was told "Don't worry, we're not going anywhere." Again, take it as you will.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRVC416 View Post
I know this is my first post and its a 100% take it as you will, but from what I heard with people I work with (both TOH/Front Office for the Islanders) I was told "Don't worry, we're not going anywhere." Again, take it as you will.
So you're saying the failure will continue and there's no hope.

Seriously, why would anyone believe 1 word from Dumb and Dumber aka TOH/NYI Front Office?

And who could work for both without Prozac?

It's less than 90 days to what truly matters - the Oct. 2 game in Brooklyn.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:23 PM
periferal

Tastes Great!

Less Filling!!!

You can have a Coke vs. Pepsi debate all you want about the Isles staying in Nassau, but regardless of a new arena or a renovation of the NVMC, no one has legitimately answered the biggest question:

Where is the money coming from????

This is why Nassau is out unless someone magic white knight rides into town by 2015. Because even a renovation of the Coliseum is going to be 150-200 million minimum. And if they do it on the cheap (150-200 million), then that is only a short-term solution.

The politicians in Nassau are so against any growth or change that they don't even want to tenants coming into vacant storefronts. Add in that the county is beyond broke, that NIFA has to give approval if they were to actually come up with a bright idea, and the fact that any 3rd party developer isn't going to be able to create a profitable enough sports/entertainment/shopping/housing complex to both adhere to Town of Hempstead zoning laws and give Wang a big enough piece of the pie while also making a good deal of money themselves.

I don't know why it's so hard for so many here to see that right now Nassau has literally ZERO options to give to Wang to keep the team in Nassau short of extending his lease a few more years. When you add it all up, Brooklyn is salvation compared to what Nassau has got going on (which is nothing).

Old
07-13-2012, 10:56 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Welcome to the looney bin... don't worry about the negative comments, apparently in this thread anything anti brooklyn move is met with insults or passed off as being ridiculous, a tough thread for a first post...however, i will say i have heard the same from islanders management but even though i would like to believe it, i take it with a grain of salt. What else can they say other than we are not going anywhere three years before any potential move, low attendance would drop further if they acknowledged lame duck status... so while i hope something gets done, i have learned not to get too high or low based on anything people post or write or quote... all Isles fans are in limbo, it will get done when it gets done, and I don't think anyone knows exactly how this will play out but the day is drawing closer. Enjoy the site

Old
07-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Steve55

Quote:
The Isles are certainly not going to move until 2015, but given what has transpired since the referendum failed, I have a hard time believing they will stay in Nassau after their current lease is up.

Old
07-14-2012, 01:10 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
The Isles are certainly not going to move until 2015, but given what has transpired since the referendum failed, I have a hard time believing they will stay in Nassau after their current lease is up.
I don't know why it's so hard.

The LHP was a stupid move. You ASK THE GOVERNING BODY OF APPROVAL WHAT WILL PASS BEFORE YOU ALLOW BIDS. The GOP screwed that up. It would be done now if they set the parameters up front that Murray would OK, with no suicidal posters.

The referendum - nice advertising job Cholly. Look at the effort going into the vote, the effort to reassure voters of its importance, the cost, the worst case cost scenario (bad design to allow ANY tax increases BTW!) and the cost taxpayers face WITHOUT N.Y. Islander revenue being available to taxpayers of Nassau County.

So what next?

Move to Brooklyn is a threat. An exhibition game is a waged threat. Time ticks on.

So we have Wang gaining LEVERAGE. The County has shown it is trying to pass a means to keep the Isles (dumping a subsequent RFQ when Wang declined to be party). The talks remain. Insiders say to not worry. Wang is silent.

So IMHO he's letting time become HIS ally. He's letting his exhibition instill more fear in Nassau. He HOPEFULLY will explain to voters what the Isles MEAN TO THE PROPERTY TAXES ON LI IF THEY LEAVE NASSAU.

Many here get it. Many chest thump Brooklyn or dump Nassore or whatever but the intelligent majority know the Isles provide a VERY VALUABLE tax basis to the County property owner. To believe Wang does not get this or the County government does not get it....it's a little arrogant, ain't it?

I believe the poster's source from NVMC and others who say not to worry have it right. The drama is just time going by before the settled differences are public and put to rest.

Until then, there are posts about how someone HATES Nassau because of this, how Brooklyn needs this with the departure of Horshack and the vacuum three decades have left, how Queens should let the Isles put a rink in the middle of a soccor field or trade show convention center, how the grandiose cosmopolitan lure of Kansas City may be too great.....

And Wang and the County pull closer in terms over the years, and we read more rubbish.

Old
07-14-2012, 01:46 AM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I don't know why it's so hard.

The LHP was a stupid move. You ASK THE GOVERNING BODY OF APPROVAL WHAT WILL PASS BEFORE YOU ALLOW BIDS. The GOP screwed that up. It would be done now if they set the parameters up front that Murray would OK, with no suicidal posters.

The referendum - nice advertising job Cholly. Look at the effort going into the vote, the effort to reassure voters of its importance, the cost, the worst case cost scenario (bad design to allow ANY tax increases BTW!) and the cost taxpayers face WITHOUT N.Y. Islander revenue being available to taxpayers of Nassau County.

So what next?

Move to Brooklyn is a threat. An exhibition game is a waged threat. Time ticks on.

So we have Wang gaining LEVERAGE. The County has shown it is trying to pass a means to keep the Isles (dumping a subsequent RFQ when Wang declined to be party). The talks remain. Insiders say to not worry. Wang is silent.

So IMHO he's letting time become HIS ally. He's letting his exhibition instill more fear in Nassau. He HOPEFULLY will explain to voters what the Isles MEAN TO THE PROPERTY TAXES ON LI IF THEY LEAVE NASSAU.

Many here get it. Many chest thump Brooklyn or dump Nassore or whatever but the intelligent majority know the Isles provide a VERY VALUABLE tax basis to the County property owner. To believe Wang does not get this or the County government does not get it....it's a little arrogant, ain't it?

I believe the poster's source from NVMC and others who say not to worry have it right. The drama is just time going by before the settled differences are public and put to rest.

Until then, there are posts about how someone HATES Nassau because of this, how Brooklyn needs this with the departure of Horshack and the vacuum three decades have left, how Queens should let the Isles put a rink in the middle of a soccor field or trade show convention center, how the grandiose cosmopolitan lure of Kansas City may be too great.....

And Wang and the County pull closer in terms over the years, and we read more rubbish.
I am not so sure if Wang is that much concerned in protecting Nassau County tax payers if the Isles leave since Nassau has started the recent RFQ (something Wang is not interested in ) on Nassau Hub that reduces Wang's ability to make money on a new or refurbished Coliseum.

As far as Queens arena on a soccer field, there is still Citi Field parking lot where an arena could be built.

Old
07-14-2012, 02:23 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
These are the people you want us to believe -

- Town of Hempstead is run a lot like an organized crime family. The family in this case is the Republican party. The business of the TOH is not to do what is good for it’s residents but rather to retain power for the party by making connections and financial deals that ensure loyalty to the party while generating revenue for both the party and the people who run it. Nobody even gets a part time job with the TOH unless they or someone who speaks for them has done sufficient “work” for the party. The people who approve the hiring are a mere notch below Kate Murray. Any contracts with the TOH and with many of the local villages that party members help run are of course with “connected” vendors. The Mitchell Field complex has long been a cash cow for the TOH. Any construction there is approved by the town and only done by contractors who understand how business is done and who do a little extra for the party and possibly a few select connected individuals. Sweetheart leases are granted to politically connected firms in exchange for various types of “support”. Now do you think the TOH was ever going to let Wang develop that property using his own money and therefore his own architects, lawyers, contractors, etc.? It was never going to happen. Quite frankly the interest of the TOH is not to save the Islanders for the people of LI but rather to perpetuate business as usual corruption and continue to use cronyism to generate revenue, loyalty, and political power for the party. It's why it's ignored NYI and the arena for decades and why it will continue.

- NYI Front Office is self explanatory with a decade of incompetence and failure.

Got it.

Old
07-14-2012, 06:23 AM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
These are the people you want us to believe -

- Town of Hempstead is run a lot like an organized crime family. The family in this case is the Republican party. The business of the TOH is not to do what is good for it’s residents but rather to retain power for the party by making connections and financial deals that ensure loyalty to the party while generating revenue for both the party and the people who run it. Nobody even gets a part time job with the TOH unless they or someone who speaks for them has done sufficient “work” for the party. The people who approve the hiring are a mere notch below Kate Murray. Any contracts with the TOH and with many of the local villages that party members help run are of course with “connected” vendors. The Mitchell Field complex has long been a cash cow for the TOH. Any construction there is approved by the town and only done by contractors who understand how business is done and who do a little extra for the party and possibly a few select connected individuals. Sweetheart leases are granted to politically connected firms in exchange for various types of “support”. Now do you think the TOH was ever going to let Wang develop that property using his own money and therefore his own architects, lawyers, contractors, etc.? It was never going to happen. Quite frankly the interest of the TOH is not to save the Islanders for the people of LI but rather to perpetuate business as usual corruption and continue to use cronyism to generate revenue, loyalty, and political power for the party. It's why it's ignored NYI and the arena for decades and why it will continue.

- NYI Front Office is self explanatory with a decade of incompetence and failure.

Got it.
I agree 100% that TOH is run like a mafia.

As far as NYI front office is concerned, there is nothing imminent at this time regarding relocation thus they are saying "they are not going anywhere".
However, I think there has been talks of relocation.
As far TOH saying the same thing, they think that just because they don't know, nothing is going on. But the Isles have NO obligation to tell TOH what has been discussed with other municipalities.

Old
07-14-2012, 07:02 AM
mitchy22

Call me skeptical, but I'm having a hard time believing that Nassau County is going to get everything together in time for a smooth transition to a new or completely renovated facility by 2015. By the time the Barclays Center is finished, it will have taken about 2.5 years to build. We don't even have a plan in place at this point. Time is definitely ticking. I agree that Wang is gaining leverage as each second goes by. It is officially game on; Wang can sit back and let the offers come to him.

As far as I'm concerned, March 2013 should be the latest we can comfortably start a new build. If we didn't hear that there are plans in place to renovate or start a new build by then, we'll probably hear the following at that late juncture:
  1. The team will move to Brooklyn, at least temporarily, for 2015.
  2. The team will have the most favorable short term or year-to-year lease that you've ever seen in Nassau County while some current planning is being finalized there or elsewhere.

Imagine that ground breaks or renovation plans are completed by March of this upcoming season? It'd be ****ing magical if we were still in the playoff hunt and actually got some concrete news or work started on a local building by that time.

I guess I have to ask:
Do you believe in magic?

All kidding aside, I'll be amazed if everything comes together in time for something that isn't Nassau or Brooklyn. If something does, I bet we'll know by my birthday (January 22; mark your calendars) next year. That'd be a nice present. I'd just like to know the team is staying somewhere on Long Island already (or put us all out of our misery if they're moving away.) I'm sure that I'm not alone in feeling this.

Mitch

Old
07-14-2012, 07:16 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Call me skeptical, but I'm having a hard time believing that Nassau County is going to get everything together in time for a smooth transition to a new or completely renovated facility by 2015. By the time the Barclays Center is finished, it will have taken about 2.5 years to build. We don't even have a plan in place at this point. Time is definitely ticking. I agree that Wang is gaining leverage as each second goes by. It is officially game on; Wang can sit back and let the offers come to him.

As far as I'm concerned, March 2013 should be the latest we can comfortably start a new build. If we didn't hear that there are plans in place to renovate or start a new build by then, we'll probably hear the following at that late juncture:

Mitch
He's already owned the team for 11/12 yrs.He's down to the final three yrs of his lease.He has no reason to give up the team,until seeing what the County's 2015 offer is.

The Pens lease expired in June 2007.
Mario and his execs were touring facilities in other cities,having lease discussions with pols in those cities.The Pens and PA pols, did not reach an agreement until March 2007.

Wang imo,would stay in the aging arena past 2015,so long as an agreement is reached on a major renovation or new arena.

Oltime and I don't agree on much,but we do agree that Wang does not want to be a tenant in someone else's building.Imo he also does not want to sell.

Old
07-14-2012, 10:44 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
He's already owned the team for 11/12 yrs.He's down to the final three yrs of his lease.He has no reason to give up the team,until seeing what the County's 2015 offer is.

Mario and his execs were touring facilities in other cities,having lease discussions with pols in those cities.The Pens and PA pols, did not reach an agreement until March 2007.

Wang imo,would stay in the aging arena past 2015,so long as an agreement is reached on a major renovation or new arena.

Oltime and I don't agree on much,but we do agree that Wang does not want to be a tenant in someone else's building.Imo he also does not want to sell.
I don't think there's anything I've said that disagrees with this, so rock on. Perhaps, I could have clarified and said "ONE OF the following...", though I think it's pretty obvious that #1 and #2 are exclusive in nature.

Mitch

Old
07-14-2012, 01:55 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

And Kathy Bates is HOT after a substantial amount of peach schnapps, but we won't share that tale here.

Old
07-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Steve55

For those who believe Town of Hempstead may change the zoning for Nassau Hub, I think Kate Murray being reelected last year will delay that possibility at least until November 2013.

http://merrick.patch.com/articles/el...own-supervisor

Election 2011: Murray Defeats Port for Town Supervisor

Republican incumbent will serve another two-year term.

http://nassaugopwatch.blogspot.ca/20...n-results.html

http://www.longislandpress.com/2009/...2009-election/

Murray being reelected last year to serve another two year term may have led to the Isles to say something has to be done in Nassau before the end of this year.

Last edited by Steve55: 07-14-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old
07-14-2012, 04:02 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
For those who believe Town of Hempstead may change the zoning for Nassau Hub, I think Kate Murray being reelected last year will delay that possibility at least until November 2013.

http://merrick.patch.com/articles/el...own-supervisor

Election 2011: Murray Defeats Port for Town Supervisor

Republican incumbent will serve another two-year term.

http://nassaugopwatch.blogspot.ca/20...n-results.html

http://www.longislandpress.com/2009/...2009-election/

Murray being reelected last year to serve another two year term may have led to the Isles to say something has to be done in Nassau before the end of this year.
How about working with her, not being a petulant brat and rambling in the media in the last tete a tete like Wanger did?

She has final authority. Wang need only maturity to see what will work.

Or you can try acting like Charliekins when you have a code inspector come over to approve your deck if you disagree.

But.....lest we forget......any work done from one curb to the other on the non parking lot block the NVMC lies on does NOT have to go before ToH for approval due to the 1972 grandfathered approval for zoning that exists.

If Charlie wanted to add a giant mall space around the existing block and build it five stories tall with practice rinks within, SO LONG AS THERE IS NO HOUSING OR HAZMAT, the approval is in place. The large volume attending games is also rationale for not needing approval on population density and traffic studies as there will be no residences and the usage is also set at a high rate scale.

But that'd be ugly. And we do NOT need more shopping centers, just some cool hangouts and maybe new industrial centers. Maybe. (re: the current vacancy rates on LI for commercial buildings)

Old
07-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:

If Wang doesn't sell or want to be a tenant in another's building then nothing changes and failure remains forever. Not many expect success with Wang as a tenant/owner on LI with a new/renovated building which isn't likely anyway. Hopeless.

Pens didn't have a local alternate place to play like NYI has Brooklyn, Pitt wasn't broke like nassau is, the economy was different then and Pitt wasn't using a suburban model which doesn't work like NYI is.

Where does this magical agreement come from? Who pays for it? Seems the only options left are Wang paying 350+ mil for an arena he doesn't own (jacobs) or a private developer working with Wang and sharing revenue with him (mangano). Does anyone believe either of them will likely work?

Thinking Wang will inform/protect nassau taxpayers to the tax benefits of NYI on LI is comical wishful thinking. Is there another vote? After 8/1? That tax benefit ship has sailed as nassau/TOH prepares for life sans NYI as the RFQ states. See the reasons above that TOH cares more for cronyism and political power than tax revenue. Same applies for nassau.

How would a year to year lease post 2015 work if the new develepor demolishes/reuses NVMC asap? Brooklyn temporary wouldn't work as Ratner would likely want a long term option. A potential owner like Peltz won't come with no arena deal in place.

Why would Wang wait until 2015 for nassau's offer? If it's not feasible to him he has little time to exercise any options if he didn't already.

Old
07-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Steve55

Quote:
How about working with her, not being a petulant brat and rambling in the media in the last tete a tete like Wanger did?

She has final authority. Wang need only maturity to see what will work.

Or you can try acting like Charliekins when you have a code inspector come over to approve your deck if you disagree.

But.....lest we forget......any work done from one curb to the other on the non parking lot block the NVMC lies on does NOT have to go before ToH for approval due to the 1972 grandfathered approval for zoning that exists.

If Charlie wanted to add a giant mall space around the existing block and build it five stories tall with practice rinks within, SO LONG AS THERE IS NO HOUSING OR HAZMAT, the approval is in place. The large volume attending games is also rationale for not needing approval on population density and traffic studies as there will be no residences and the usage is also set at a high rate scale.

But that'd be ugly. And we do NOT need more shopping centers, just some cool hangouts and maybe new industrial centers. Maybe. (re: the current vacancy rates on LI for commercial buildings)
Why should the Isles accept everything that TOH dictates? No wonder why the Isles have said something has to get done before the end of 2012.

Old
07-14-2012, 06:12 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Why should the Isles accept everything that TOH dictates? No wonder why the Isles have said something has to get done before the end of 2012.
Why? The GOVERNMENT and AUTHORITY on zoning has the absolute POWER over construction, variances and zoning. That's why.

Murray is in power. She gave a counter, and waited on negotiation with the LHP, which never came from the petulant owner.

You wanna pretend she has no power to yield or assert the laws as they are written and that we can just pass pie in the sky proposals like Suozzi and his predecessors did without examining the laws in place set forth to protect the interests of the existing homeoowners who have a vital and grave interest in the final outcome?

Murray, like her or hate her, serves a purpose. And when Long Islanders within the confines of the ToH decide the vision she meets now is not what they want, i.e. they want urbanization, then she'll get voted out.

Right now, homeowners want lower taxes. Kinda like the taxes the referendum did not offer.

I trust her over Wang, FWIW. I don't like the fact that nothing got done to date, but no one got screwed except for Wang. (we still have hockey - and time)

Wang will get better terms as time marches on. And he'll sign off on a better deal when that happens. Hopefully in Uniondale.

Old
07-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Agreed. Especially since other developers said TOH's criteria didn't work financially for them.....like it didn't work for NYI.

Old
07-14-2012, 07:25 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Why? The GOVERNMENT and AUTHORITY on zoning has the absolute POWER over construction, variances and zoning. That's why.

Murray is in power. She gave a counter, and waited on negotiation with the LHP, which never came from the petulant owner.

You wanna pretend she has no power to yield or assert the laws as they are written and that we can just pass pie in the sky proposals like Suozzi and his predecessors did without examining the laws in place set forth to protect the interests of the existing homeoowners who have a vital and grave interest in the final outcome?

Murray, like her or hate her, serves a purpose. And when Long Islanders within the confines of the ToH decide the vision she meets now is not what they want, i.e. they want urbanization, then she'll get voted out.

Right now, homeowners want lower taxes. Kinda like the taxes the referendum did not offer.

I trust her over Wang, FWIW. I don't like the fact that nothing got done to date, but no one got screwed except for Wang. (we still have hockey - and time)

Wang will get better terms as time marches on. And he'll sign off on a better deal when that happens. Hopefully in Uniondale.
You forget to mention (conveniently) that any developer that has looked at the TOH zoning has stated that it is economically unsustainable for this type of development.

Which is why the next RFQ is opening up the possibilities of other uses.

BTW Nassau ends the year 45Mil in the hole.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...icit-1.3837444

IMHO if the HUB is developed without the Islanders and in a way that creates good permanent jobs (tech or FAA or even good manufacturing) the lost revenue argument will be moot, at least politically

Old
07-15-2012, 01:34 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
You forget to mention (conveniently) that any developer that has looked at the TOH zoning has stated that it is economically unsustainable for this type of development.

Which is why the next RFQ is opening up the possibilities of other uses.

BTW Nassau ends the year 45Mil in the hole.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...icit-1.3837444

IMHO if the HUB is developed without the Islanders and in a way that creates good permanent jobs (tech or FAA or even good manufacturing) the lost revenue argument will be moot, at least politically
Umm....go fight the government., Yikes. Let's all hold our breath and hold hands and occupy Uniondale!

Now QUOTES....and not just Cholly and his chums. I want real developers, like ABLI and others who stated they could develop it. Give me figures. Let me know how a renovation cannot be recouped in 20 years of operation. Twenty million a year in additional revenue goes to recover expenses you also get TAX BENEFIT FROM immediately. Give me some answers why it's not sustainable and some links with quotes.

The lost revenue would mean sales would have to equal or exceed the current level of ticket, parking, merchandise, hospitality, dining, gas, diner, Hooter and all other sales increases brought on by the normal operation of the Coliseum (which is horrid as of now).

Now add a Islander free development. It's not the some. It's jobs, lunch crowds, gas purchases and home. NASSAU COUNTY DOES NOT COLLECT INCOME TAX OR PAYROLL TAX, ONLY SALES TAX.

I hope you get that.

With Long Island vacancy rates, what kinda sales do you expect from a theoretical development with the types of businesses they mention? Physical therapy, instructional/medical tech plants, what?

Or do you disagree with the above notion that sales of varied goods outperform tax benefits of a research leaning development as proposed? (and that drug companies will not build manufacturing units in low tax regions as they do now, as they are fleeing NY and TPRoKalifornia?)

As for the $45M in the hole.....cops make too much, administrators IN EVERY VILLAGE make a killing, pensions are obnoxious and services are obnoxious. The party is over. Just don't tell the politicians. NVMC is a WISE investment, as it makes revenue. Police salaries in Nassau are just an insult to intellect. The fact they ever made more than NYPD is just astounding (and don't get me started with the ticket brigade in Suffolk).

Nassau has to elect a tea party member at least for a few years. Both parties are just absurdly corrupt. I only wish a Christy (I'd settle for Jerry Brown over any GOP County pol!) would surface. Zero deficits, bold cuts and vital spending to protect solvency and revenue collection are needed. ALL COUNTY WIDE efforts to attract business are needed (not just one little Hub zone and screw everyone else who has endured the damn political manure all these years).

But that's another board. Now go get me quotes and names of the people who say developing in the Hub is not feasible under any circumstance, not just AS CHOLLY PROPOSED AND ToH COUNTERED. If Cholly wanted huge and couldn't get it, he has to adapt to what THE LAW (Murray) says will pass. Make something within scope. Everyone else has to, so why is Cholly so special that he should be able to bend the law? If he owned the Rangers would you be for this ***** he put forth, saying a big FU to the local residents who have to live with the traffic or do you demand a smaller development within reason?

Last edited by OlTimeHockey: 07-15-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old
07-15-2012, 10:42 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Umm....go fight the government., Yikes. Let's all hold our breath and hold hands and occupy Uniondale!

Now QUOTES....and not just Cholly and his chums. I want real developers, like ABLI and others who stated they could develop it. Give me figures. Let me know how a renovation cannot be recouped in 20 years of operation. Twenty million a year in additional revenue goes to recover expenses you also get TAX BENEFIT FROM immediately. Give me some answers why it's not sustainable and some links with quotes.

The lost revenue would mean sales would have to equal or exceed the current level of ticket, parking, merchandise, hospitality, dining, gas, diner, Hooter and all other sales increases brought on by the normal operation of the Coliseum (which is horrid as of now).

Now add a Islander free development. It's not the some. It's jobs, lunch crowds, gas purchases and home. NASSAU COUNTY DOES NOT COLLECT INCOME TAX OR PAYROLL TAX, ONLY SALES TAX.

I hope you get that.

With Long Island vacancy rates, what kinda sales do you expect from a theoretical development with the types of businesses they mention? Physical therapy, instructional/medical tech plants, what?

Or do you disagree with the above notion that sales of varied goods outperform tax benefits of a research leaning development as proposed? (and that drug companies will not build manufacturing units in low tax regions as they do now, as they are fleeing NY and TPRoKalifornia?)

As for the $45M in the hole.....cops make too much, administrators IN EVERY VILLAGE make a killing, pensions are obnoxious and services are obnoxious. The party is over. Just don't tell the politicians. NVMC is a WISE investment, as it makes revenue. Police salaries in Nassau are just an insult to intellect. The fact they ever made more than NYPD is just astounding (and don't get me started with the ticket brigade in Suffolk).

Nassau has to elect a tea party member at least for a few years. Both parties are just absurdly corrupt. I only wish a Christy (I'd settle for Jerry Brown over any GOP County pol!) would surface. Zero deficits, bold cuts and vital spending to protect solvency and revenue collection are needed. ALL COUNTY WIDE efforts to attract business are needed (not just one little Hub zone and screw everyone else who has endured the damn political manure all these years).

But that's another board. Now go get me quotes and names of the people who say developing in the Hub is not feasible under any circumstance, not just AS CHOLLY PROPOSED AND ToH COUNTERED. If Cholly wanted huge and couldn't get it, he has to adapt to what THE LAW (Murray) says will pass. Make something within scope. Everyone else has to, so why is Cholly so special that he should be able to bend the law? If he owned the Rangers would you be for this ***** he put forth, saying a big FU to the local residents who have to live with the traffic or do you demand a smaller development within reason?
You kind of make my point for me.

The HUB is probably more develop-able without the Islanders.

That's the wild card here.

But what you seem to do, is put aside the politics involved.

You can scream lost revenue all you want.

It can even be true.

What you need to comprehend that as far as the taxpayer (and voting public) is concerned IT DOES NOT MATTER.

You cannot use tax dollars for a new arena

You can use tax dollars or tax incentives to draw industry that creates jobs that are available to someone who is not an NHL player but is more than a beer vendor.

That's the reality in Nassau.

You tell me how the NVMC gets done without tax dollars. (Wang willing to put up or get investors) and I am all ears.

Threatening about lost revenue means nothing to the residents of Nassau who as of this year will live in a county with a reserve fund of ZERO.

Closed Thread