Notices

Wellwood signed! (1 year, 1.6M)

Old
07-13-2012, 05:24 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
If they were unable to bring in a true top 6 talent or a tweener that could be more useful on the PK and bottom lines, I would given Burmistrov, Scheifele, Telegin, and maybe even Machacek the right to fight it out at camp. If none of them are working, Ponikarovsky and Antropov could fill in there while they went out and found a better option. Wellwood's just such a meh piece. He was a nice reclamation project, but you gotta know when to move on from there, IMO.

Him and Burmi will probably be interchangeable from the Joki 2nd line and the Antro 3rd line.
The problem is that the multiple surgeries probably cost Telegin an awful lot of his summer training, and that probably forced management's hand a bit in this acquisition. I think it's the right call on their part, with the injuries there is really no way of knowing how he comes into camp. Nothing wrong with playing in the AHL initially to get his game back. We also have a number of 1 year deals so if he proves he's ready we can always make a trade later in my the year to bring him up. With regards to Mark, the organization seems bent on taking their time with him. They probably had him going hack to Barrie all a long unless he was superhuman in training camp again. Burmi had the chance to claim that 2nd line role at the end of last year and failed to deliver, this probably also played a role in bringing Wellwood back.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Crazed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
So...

Ladd-Jokinen-Wheeler
Kane-Little-Burmistrov
Poni-Antropov-Wellwood
Machacek-Slater-Thorburn

???
I think this is how it will be.
Happy with this.
Mittens and Cormier i sure will see some ice time.

Happy we got Wellwood for another year. I think he is a good passer.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:40 PM
GrandChelems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Meh. Not a wellwood fan, but term and salary is manageable.

I agree with Holden though, that I much rather the Jets allowed their young players to compete for a top 6 spot. Now they have Antro, Poni, Welly, Mittens all with expiring contracts - leading to UFA - at the end of the year. Or 1/3rd of your forwards. As I don't expect any of them back after this year. But the young players, who are close to making it - cormier, machacek, klingberg (??), scheifele (??) will likely have to wait another year.

First Chevy move I really have to question.
The kids make too many defensive mistakes for top 6 on an NHL competing for a playoff spot. Probably not even discussed by the uppers.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

good for Welly, he deserves a payday after last season, he played any role Noel asked him to

Blackie Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:19 PM
BigZ65

Safe player who can eat up minutes and play multiple roles. He's settled in nicely as a pro once he got out of Toronto and everyone realized that he's a role player, not Adam Oates 2.0.

He'll be a valuable player in a playoff run for us, and if the playoff run doesn't happen this year he'll be a valuable chip at the trade deadline.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:24 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I guess that Semin is just asking for too much?

I like having Wellwood back. I just see way more forwards than spots right now, if you are trying to bring in Macho and Cormier. I guess we have lost Glass, Stapleton and Fehr, so when you look at it like that, we have really upgraded our forward corps.
I really like this signing, for multiple reasons, but mostly because it'll help us integrate our young guns at the right pace. I see Welly starting on the 2nd line, with Burmi on the 3rd, with his supportive Russian mates. That'll give Burmi the chance to hone his game without so much pressure and move up when he shows he's ready. For those who thought Burmi needed AHL seasoning last season, this accomplishes a similar goal in the bigs.
If Scheifele plays his way on to the team, the lines can be shuffled and Wellwood can sit, until he is needed. But Scheif will have to really earn it, beyond a shadow of a doubt. Even if Scheif makes it, and Welly sits, wiith injuries, he will be needed;he is positionally versatile and, frankly, at his price I wouldn't mind a bit having him in that role. It would be a testament to our... way for it it... depth.
All in all, I think it is a very good move--low risk, limited reward, but gives the team lots of flexibility.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:34 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I wonder if the Jets were after Mueller or Wolski but missed out, hence the timing of the signing.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 06:45 PM
surixon

Quote:
If they were unable to bring in a true top 6 talent or a tweener that could be more useful on the PK and bottom lines, I would given Burmistrov, Scheifele, Telegin, and maybe even Machacek the right to fight it out at camp. If none of them are working, Ponikarovsky and Antropov could fill in there while they went out and found a better option. Wellwood's just such a meh piece. He was a nice reclamation project, but you gotta know when to move on from there, IMO.

Him and Burmi will probably be interchangeable from the Joki 2nd line and the Antro 3rd line.
The problem is that the multiple surgeries probably cost Telegin an awful lot of his summer training, and that probably forced management's hand a bit in this acquisition. I think it's the right call on their part, with the injuries there is really no way of knowing how he comes into camp. Nothing wrong with playing in the AHL initially to get his game back. We also have a number of 1 year deals so if he proves he's ready we can always make a trade later in my the year to bring him up. With regards to Mark, the organization seems bent on taking their time with him. They probably had him going hack to Barrie all a long unless he was superhuman in training camp again. Burmi had the chance to claim that 2nd line role at the end of last year and failed to deliver, this probably also played a role in bringing Wellwood back.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:18 PM
TroubaFan1

I like this. I think he fits nicely on the third line.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:26 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
My problem is I have zero faith that Noel will do that. Many may disagree, but I have been very very underwhelmed with the way he has treated young players. He marginalizes them for veterans, even when they are badly outplaying the veterans, IMO.
You are bang on with this one. I like Noel and what he's done so far. But I sure didn't like him ripping Scheif, Kane and Burmi new a-holes on the bench. He never did that to the vets, when I felt he shouldve a few times (ex: Ladd kept coughing the puck up). He needs to give Kane and Burmi all the opportunies to succeed this year.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Hansen Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
Why not line burmistrov at C? The kids got the creativity and vision to play there...

The only thing he seems to struggle with is faceoffs. This is something that is easily fixed with hard work and good coaching though. The vision and creativity that he has is just natural...sucks to limit the amount of ice he has by putting him on the wing......
Exactly.

Little is a good shooter and had 31 goals as a right wing, put him on the wing.

Hansen Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
I kinda like the move. If Burmistrov can't produce at the level Wellwood is, then he shouldn't be on the second line.

And it's a long season, injuries happen.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:30 PM
KittyCarlyle

Quote:
So...

Ladd-Jokinen-Wheeler
Kane-Little-Burmistrov
Poni-Antropov-Wellwood
Machacek-Slater-Thorburn

???
I like this lineup but would prefer seeing Wellwood up on the second line (two right-handed playmakers and a left-handed sniper) and Burmi getting groomed at Centre with some easier minutes on the third line...

On a side note... it would be tough to send Cormier down for another year but I think it's best for him if he can work on his offensive game playing top-six minutes on the rock... it seems like Machacek has done all he can in the A but I think Cormier's ceiling is higher yet...

KittyCarlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, now that Welly has sign, when will it be Kane's turn?

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Flair Hay

Not to mention playing a full year with the ice caps seemed like a better plan anyway

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Hansen Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
I kinda like the move. If Burmistrov can't produce at the level Wellwood is, then he shouldn't be on the second line.

And it's a long season, injuries happen.
I personally think Burmi didn't have wingers that suite his style. He needs a shooter and a space maker on his wings. Wellwood and Kane, I personally felt, were not good wingers for him. Burmi likes to have the puck on his stick and move around in the offensive zone, looking for someone to pass to and I really think Little can be that guy. Little moves around, finds soft spots in the defense, gets a pass and takes a shot. Ladd adds some muscle, parks in front of the net and cleans up the rebounds. Besides, Burmi scored 13 goals which isn't terrible at all, he was just low on assists. Personally I was under the impression that he got busted down last season because of poor play away from the puck, which I think he improved on mightily.

I personally really, really want to see a top six of:

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - Burmi - Little

If we can wait for Wheeler to score his first goal in November then we can afford to be patient with Burmi.

Hansen Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

I'm not a fan of Wellwood, but I can admit it's a solid depth signing. 1 year is good for a player with Wellwood's previous conditioning issues. Players like that need motivation and shouldn't be given multi year deals IMO.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:00 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

With the addition of Jokinen and possibly Scheifele making the team, I wonder if Wellwood's role on the team is going to be different next year. I'm thinking he might fill more of a Stapleton-type role than a top six winger.

Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler
Ladd-Scheifele-Little
Poni-Burmi-Antro
Wellwood-Slater-Thorburn
(Miettinen, Machacek)

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:07 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I wonder if the Jets were after Mueller or Wolski but missed out, hence the timing of the signing.
I doubt they felt they missed out on Wolski since he signed for $ 600,000 K. But I think your on the right track. Wellwood is a safe signing as he is extremely versatile. In a perfect world he is your 13th forward and plays multiple roles based on injuries, shaking things up etc. But it isn't a perfect world and he will probably jump from the 2nd to 4th line like he did last year. Part of me feels a bit disappointed in that signing Wellwood seems to be the plan B to fill out the roster because Chevy wasn't able to make any more moves to upgrade.

Another part of me hopes Chevy signed Wellwood because he has a few major moves in mind and needs a versatile Wellwood to fill possible gaps going forward.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:19 PM
phamJET

if wellwood is a great playmaker, I would put him with jokinen, jokinen needs playmakers on his line.

phamJET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Huffer

Quote:
So...

Ladd-Jokinen-Wheeler
Kane-Little-Burmistrov
Poni-Antropov-Wellwood
Machacek-Slater-Thorburn

???
If Scheifele doesn't make the squad I could see that being the lineup. Cormier gets lot's of ice time in St. John's and is the 1st callup most likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post

I personally really, really want to see a top six of:

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - Burmi - Little
I wouldn't mind seeing how this one worked as well. I think Little could be a good winger, but it would depend more on whether or not Burmi could handle the defensive responsibilities at C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post

Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler
Ladd-Scheifele-Little
Poni-Burmi-Antro
Wellwood-Slater-Thorburn
(Miettinen, Machacek)
I was going to post something similar. A "what if Scheifele makes the team" lineup.

I would pretty much go with this as well. Burmi could be the C or W, depending on where the org wants him long term. Machacek might actually start on the 4th there, and Wellwood would be the "rover" coming in for virtually anyone in the top 9 due to injuries.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:25 PM
jamiebez

Well, I'm happy. I really feel like he was the best possible fit out there for this group. Doan was a pipe dream, and Semin's not worth the risk to me. This is a versatile Top-9 player that Noel is comfortable using in a variety of situations.

Chevy really hard-balled him here, I'm thinking. This smells like an offer he gave him on July 1 and said "take it or leave it, if you get a two-year deal somewhere else, great" Two weeks later and here we are.

I would have had no problem with 2 yrs/$2M per, so this is a steal.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
Chevy really hard-balled him here, I'm thinking. This smells like an offer he gave him on July 1 and said "take it or leave it, if you get a two-year deal somewhere else, great" Two weeks later and here we are.

I would have had no problem with 2 yrs/$2M per, so this is a steal.
In Tait's Free Press article, Wellwood said on the conference call that the Jets did offer a two-year deal, but he took a one-year instead.

I find that a little strange since he said at the end of last year that he wanted term, but maybe he's banking on a second "prove it" year for a better deal after? No idea.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:50 PM
tntkid

Wellwood was a good signing.

He is solid part of the team.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:51 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
In Tait's Free Press article, Wellwood said on the conference call that the Jets did offer a two-year deal, but he took a one-year instead.

I find that a little strange since he said at the end of last year that he wanted term, but maybe he's banking on a second "prove it" year for a better deal after? No idea.
Huh. That's odd Maybe it's to take some of the leverage out of Chevy's hand if he tries to deal Welly at the deadline? *shrugs*

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote