Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wellwood signed! (1 year, 1.6M)

Old
07-13-2012, 08:59 PM
heilongjetsfan

vCash: 758
I agree with almost all of the most recent comments. I like this signing, I like the way our top 9 looks, and I think this gives us the power to keep the other coach guessing, force him to juggle his lines and change up defensive schemes in game. It's also nice to know that we've got the depth to cover injuries and slumps.

I notice however a bit of an undercurrent here about Burmi. It seems like a lot of you aren't satisfied with or maybe aren't confident about his development. Is that really how it is? Honestly, I think he's right on track. His play-making skills are elite, he's got incredible defensive awareness for a kid his age, and he can even shoot the puck sometimes. He needs to improve his upper body strength, and his faceoffs. Which will come with the improved strength.

About Noel and his distaste for young players: Tippet is even worse. If you were following the 'yotes in the pre-Jets 2.0 era, you'll know why Turris wanted out so badly.

heilongjetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:19 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Happy with this signing. Was watching the freakin' Bombers choke tonight - at least some good news today.

Welly played good last year - glad he's back for another year.

jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Waldo

It's like six of one, half dozen of the other. I can understand others wanting him to be signed, but I personally would rather see Cormier or Machachek take his spot. He's another smurf who isn't quite good enough to be a top six winger, but hasn't got the grit or size to be a effective 3rd or or 4th liner. On the short term, he is "adequate" but it is good for morale and for motivation of the players in St.John's to promote within the system. Whether he is there or not is not gonna make much difference to our success. There are bigger roster issues on the Jets and he is not a "difference maker". We'll see how it plays out but I would rather they hadn't signed him.

My opinion doesn't much matter, but I do give mngmnt the benefit of the doubt and we're far from being contenders, so that was a safe signing.

So far, decision wise, I would give Chevy an "A"on his moves. It'll still be another 2 years or so before we start seeing any profound results of his guidance. Anyhow, we are a better team in 2012/2013 than we were in 2011/2012.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:32 PM
jimmycrackcorn
HFBoards Sponsor

To everyone picking the starting roster and worrying about roster spots for some of the younger guys... Ever heard of injuries ? We need more than 12 forwards - and we have lots of room for Wellwood ...

Last edited by jimmycrackcorn: 07-13-2012 at 09:37 PM.
jimmycrackcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:46 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
To everyone picking the starting roster and worrying about roster spots for some of the younger guys... Ever heard of injuries ? We need more than 12 forwards - and we have lots of room for Wellwood ...
You got that right. Mach, Cormier, and Klingberg will see their fair share of games this year.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:54 PM
roccerfeller
whiteout bromantic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
Happy with this signing. Was watching the freakin' Bombers choke tonight - at least some good news today.

Welly played good last year - glad he's back for another year.
agreed
x2

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
So...

Ladd-Jokinen-Wheeler
Kane-Little-Burmistrov
Poni-Antropov-Wellwood
Machacek-Slater-Thorburn

???
I'd be willing to bet the line up will be like this,not the way i would want it
Ladd-Little-wheeler
Kane-Jokinen-Wellwood
Poni-Burmi-Antro
???-Slater-Thorburn

Zhamnov10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
In Tait's Free Press article, Wellwood said on the conference call that the Jets did offer a two-year deal, but he took a one-year instead.

I find that a little strange since he said at the end of last year that he wanted term, but maybe he's banking on a second "prove it" year for a better deal after? No idea.
Maybe the Two year deal was for less money per year?

Zhamnov10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:33 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

As much as I like this signing and Wellwood as a person and player, I still can't help but feel that if he's on our top six, we're not a playoff team.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:50 PM
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
As much as I like this signing and Wellwood as a person and player, I still can't help but feel that if he's on our top six, we're not a playoff team.
Good grief

He's a role player that steps it up when the pressures on. See Vancouver, see San Jose.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:55 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Yea I am ok with this signing beacause its one year and the depth can't hurt. Kyle is versatile and has value as a transitional asset. while normally I would agree with the statement that if Kyle is in our top 6 we are probably not a playoff team i might counter a bit by saying if Poni Burmi and Antro are our 3rd line they may be good enough to make our top 9 a playoff worthy group. Our top 9 is a big upgrade from last year. it's a long season and I see Kyle and Burmi bouncing back and fourth between the 2nd and 3rd lines, or in a perfect world this is the year Burmi takes that step and forces his way onto the 2nd line for good. The good news is Burmi will be one year older and either playing with two (former USSR) studs on the 3rd line or he will be playing with better linmates on the 2nd line.

It does show TNSE are not joking about taking their time with developing talent. Whether its Cormier, Macho, Kluda, Postma, Scheif or Telegin, It appears nobody is getting rushed in anymore. reminds me a bit of Detroit's approach. nobody wants these guys to rot on the vine but 3 or 4 of them could be on the Jets this year.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:02 AM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
Good grief

He's a role player that steps it up when the pressures on. See Vancouver, see San Jose.
Then why didnt those teams resign him?

I don't really think this signing does anything for us good or bad. Granted he's a vet with a ton of experience, but he's a runt that has meh skating and has a hard time taking a shot. I just feel that he has a hard time finding a niche on most teams, this one included.

I get that there's injuries and stuff, but IMO Mach played his way onto the team, and that's who should be in the starting line up.

But that being said, I also don't think that this hurts the team any either. I think if we didn't resign him we'd be in much the same spot as we are right now.

Maybe Telegin being hurt or the lack of trade opportunities forced this choice.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:20 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov10 View Post
I'd be willing to bet the line up will be like this,not the way i would want it
Ladd-Little-wheeler
Kane-Jokinen-Wellwood
Poni-Burmi-Antro
???-Slater-Thorburn
Looks about right, ? could be Mach, Max or Cormier.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:32 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heilongjetsfan View Post
I notice however a bit of an undercurrent here about Burmi. It seems like a lot of you aren't satisfied with or maybe aren't confident about his development. Is that really how it is? Honestly, I think he's right on track. His play-making skills are elite, he's got incredible defensive awareness for a kid his age, and he can even shoot the puck sometimes. He needs to improve his upper body strength, and his faceoffs. Which will come with the improved strength.
Its not that theres anything against Burmi at all IMO.
Its a matter of whether or not he's ready. One day Burmi will be firmly planted on the second line, but after last season he hasn't proven he can handle it. Ideally, he comes to camp and lights it up and takes a spot on the second line. He's got a ton of potential, and I think most people here would agree that he is a very important part of our future. Putting him in a position he isn't ready to succeed in does him no favours though. Like I said, hopefully his game continues to progress (as it has) and he's ready for that spot.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:39 AM
GermanJetsFan
Beaver Jedi

Good signing and happy with it. He was the only realistic option left for our 2nd RW spot. We won't get Semin that's just a dream and some people need to realise this. It was obvious that Selanne will re-sign with the Ducks. Mueller or Wellwood? Given that we already had Wellwood and he seemed to like it here and seemes to fit into our group of players and it wouldn't astonish me if more teams were after Mueller than Wellwood - he was the right player to sign.

I called it a week ago: Mueller will sign somewhere else, Semin will sign in PIT at the end and we will re-sign Wellwood for 2M/1 year in a couple of days.

I gave Kyle 400k too much and Semin still needs more time to think about it

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:04 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea I am ok with this signing beacause its one year and the depth can't hurt. Kyle is versatile and has value as a transitional asset. while normally I would agree with the statement that if Kyle is in our top 6 we are probably not a playoff team i might counter a bit by saying if Poni Burmi and Antro are our 3rd line they may be good enough to make our top 9 a playoff worthy group. Our top 9 is a big upgrade from last year. it's a long season and I see Kyle and Burmi bouncing back and fourth between the 2nd and 3rd lines, or in a perfect world this is the year Burmi takes that step and forces his way onto the 2nd line for good. The good news is Burmi will be one year older and either playing with two (former USSR) studs on the 3rd line or he will be playing with better linmates on the 2nd line.

It does show TNSE are not joking about taking their time with developing talent. Whether its Cormier, Macho, Kluda, Postma, Scheif or Telegin, It appears nobody is getting rushed in anymore. reminds me a bit of Detroit's approach. nobody wants these guys to rot on the vine but 3 or 4 of them could be on the Jets this year.
I've heard the term that Detroit likes to "over ripen" their prospects so when they get their chance they are ready to burst onto the scene. I don't think the Jets will be able to go that far, but I agree it is pretty obvious that the Jets will now wait for prospects to knock down the door rather than be given a free pass. IMO if TN owned the team 2 years earlier, the big topic of discussion this off season would be is Burmi ready to make the jump after a dominant junior career or does he need a year on the rock?

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:25 AM
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Then why didnt those teams resign him?

I don't really think this signing does anything for us good or bad. Granted he's a vet with a ton of experience, but he's a runt that has meh skating and has a hard time taking a shot. I just feel that he has a hard time finding a niche on most teams, this one included.

I get that there's injuries and stuff, but IMO Mach played his way onto the team, and that's who should be in the starting line up.

But that being said, I also don't think that this hurts the team any either. I think if we didn't resign him we'd be in much the same spot as we are right now.

Maybe Telegin being hurt or the lack of trade opportunities forced this choice.
Vancouver was moving in a different direction and had players in their system that were ready to make the jump. He didn't suit the 3rd line roll in Vancouver either. SJ was stupid not to re-sign him. They were good the year he was there and then they didn't re-sign him and they're crap. They could have really used him last year. I think Wellwood has found a niche. He's a damn good role player that people judge based on the hype that the ******** Toronto media gave him. He had a ****ing career year with the Jets last year and people are still ******** all over him. He's found his damn niche.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:03 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

47pts. 1.6M dollars. Depth signing. 1 year. We know what we're getting. I like it.

If prospects push him out of the line-up, then we're doing really well. If not, then we're at least covered for this year at either C or wing, and on the 2nd or 3rd lines. Gives Noel a lot of flexibility, IMHO. Also, if prospects are ready part way through the year, he can be dealt at the deadline for a pick or prospect.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:05 AM
scelaton

Perhaps it bears repeating that Wellwood had more points than Little last year, nearly as many as Ladd and has always been a good +/- player, better than most of the Jets forwards.
No, he won't be part of our Stanley Cup team, but he may well help us make the playoffs, by giving us stability and production when others are slumping or injured...and while waiting for the young uns to mature.
For the price, and for where the Jets are in their development, this was a very solid move.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:53 AM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
Vancouver was moving in a different direction and had players in their system that were ready to make the jump. He didn't suit the 3rd line roll in Vancouver either. SJ was stupid not to re-sign him. They were good the year he was there and then they didn't re-sign him and they're crap. They could have really used him last year. I think Wellwood has found a niche. He's a damn good role player that people judge based on the hype that the ******** Toronto media gave him. He had a ****ing career year with the Jets last year and people are still ******** all over him. He's found his damn niche.
I'll agree with you if he repeats this year.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Perhaps it bears repeating that Wellwood had more points than Little last year, nearly as many as Ladd and has always been a good +/- player, better than most of the Jets forwards.
He also doesn't take stupid (or any) penalties, which balances off some of the other players on the team a bit.

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by heilongjetsfan View Post
I agree with almost all of the most recent comments. I like this signing, I like the way our top 9 looks, and I think this gives us the power to keep the other coach guessing, force him to juggle his lines and change up defensive schemes in game. It's also nice to know that we've got the depth to cover injuries and slumps.

About Noel and his distaste for young players: Tippet is even worse. If you were following the 'yotes in the pre-Jets 2.0 era, you'll know why Turris wanted out so badly.
If Burmistrov had spent the last 2 years on the AHL like he should have he would now be a highly touted prospect entering his rookie year.

I like the Wellwood signing. He never got consistent prime ice time yet put up the numbers. Most Jets stick-handle the puck like it's a curling rock. They need guys who can put their opponents on their heels, and Wellwood does it. He also excelled on every line when injuries happened.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:57 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
If Burmistrov had spent the last 2 years on the AHL like he should have he would now be a highly touted prospect entering his rookie year.

I like the Wellwood signing. He never got consistent prime ice time yet put up the numbers. Most Jets stick-handle the puck like it's a curling rock. They need guys who can put their opponents on their heels, and Wellwood does it. He also excelled on every line when injuries happened.
Other than Burmi would have been in the OHL (still junior eligible) rather than A I agree this would likely be his rookie year and he would be the hot new prospect. In terms of Wellwood he gives Noel a lot of options and is a good signing for the $.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Tintin's Ghost

I really like the fact that Chevy isn't going past 1 year terms, except for Jokinen and he got two years. Smart way to deal with free agents, especially the older ones the likes of which we're signing.

Welly's a smart player. Really like the look of our top 9 now. Does this mean Mittens is 4th line duty or is there one more FA still around Chevy's corner?

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

I wonder if Wellwood took one year again to motivate himself to have another career year? Work hard, prove that last year wasn't a fluke and sign a 3 or 4 year deal somewhere for more $$

I am in the camp that while I would have liked to have gotten another 'top 6' winger, that with the way our forward group is set up we are running a 'top 9' system. There might be a little less top end talent but we will end up with 3 lines that can score.

I'd rather have more diverse scoring through 3 lines. You are going to get more consistent scoring, it's better for coaching matchups, and it gives guys trying to break out in scoring roles more opportunity to play in that role as opposed to a limited 4th line plan. (Burmistrov, Scheifele).

I like our scoring depth right now. We were already 12th last year, and I think we really could be top 10 if Wheeler starts hot, Kane scores more consistently (40 is possible with some PP success), Wellwood holds strong, Burmistrov progresses, and Poni and Olli fit in. I know that is a lot of ifs, but I think our forwards, when you throw in Little, Miettenen, and a continued healthy Antro with his new friend, have a real good capacity for growth as a whole. It's not like all of our players peaked last year and played over their heads.

I am really satisfied if this is what we go into the season with. I would love to get another veteran physical shutdown type defenseman, but I think everyone in the league would.